Trader Joe's

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Trader Joe's

Post by Longhorned »

As at TOS, deserves its own thread.

What's good these days? What are you buying?

This weekend I'm making my first-ever 4-hour round trip just to stock up. I'm very jealous of all of you people who just live near a TJ's like it's nothing. The higher quality of life, and all the money saved... I'd wake up every morning, look up at the ceiling, smile, and then pick up the phone and quit my job.
CalStateTempe

Re: Trader Joe's

Post by CalStateTempe »

No TJ's in C-U?

Thats weird...no offense.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:No TJ's in C-U?

Yea, seriously. Even the neighboring town I go to for TJs is 2/3rds Hispanic and pretty poor, and it has a TJs. Not the usual TJs demographics, but it's right off the freeway and next to Costco so a lot of neighboring townspeople go there.

Saying that, I rarely go to TJs that much.

Last time I was there my son wanted to make pizza so we got the premade pizza dough. Wheat was pretty good, but the herb garlic was way to herby for my taste. My daughter (now moved away) likes their crumpets and cinnamon bread.

Did get some Oktoberfest beer too, but don't recall the label, nothing I would go get again.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think the TJ's model carefully calculates transport costs based on the details of shipping routes. The food in supermarkets in C-U is more expensive than like San Francisco or New York or anywhere, and TJ's similarly couldn't keep their pricing where it needs to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:

I think the TJ's model carefully calculates transport costs based on the details of shipping routes. The food in supermarkets in C-U is more expensive than like San Francisco or New York or anywhere, and TJ's similarly couldn't keep their pricing where it needs to be.

That explains why Santa Maria has one then. There is a TJs 60 miles south in Santa Barbara, and 30 miles north in San Luis Obispo. I used to go the SB one all the time, could not pass through SB without stopping in although parking was miserable, but I don't find it has the same allure anymore. Used to get my scallops and calamari there.

Note that Two Buck Chuck went from $1.99 to $2.49 in the last year so be prepared for some sticker shock.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This isn't really 100% on topic, but both my wife and I believe the Trader Joe's at Campbell and Limber lost has Tucson's highest concentration of D-Bag drivers. I almost get hit by people blowing stop signs out of there on a regular basis.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The cooking times/temps on all TJ's prepared foods are way out of whack. If you follow the directions it will either be burned to a crisp or raw. You have to buy each item three times to find that optimal cooking temp and time, and then try to remember it's correlation to what TJ tells you to cook it at.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The only grudge I have against TJ's is that they didn't hire me my senior year in college, when I needed some extra cash. Apparently I wasn't "edgy" enough.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This isn't really 100% on topic, but both my wife and I believe the Trader Joe's at Campbell and Limber lost has Tucson's highest concentration of D-Bag drivers. I almost get hit by people blowing stop signs out of there on a regular basis.
I live like a mile from there and you're absolutely right. I don't go there very often because I can get cheaper and decent produce at sprouts
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:This isn't really 100% on topic, but both my wife and I believe the Trader Joe's at Campbell and Limber lost has Tucson's highest concentration of D-Bag drivers. I almost get hit by people blowing stop signs out of there on a regular basis.
I live like a mile from there and you're absolutely right. I don't go there very often because I can get cheaper and decent produce at sprouts
Yeah, there's a few things we get at TJ's, but the produce and fresh meats are much better at Sprouts.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Put me in the Sprouts camp as well.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm just glad I live within a 10 minute drive of AJ's, a 5 minute drive of both a trader joes and a sprouts and can walk to a safeway.

now the best place for me to get meat is usually Albertson's. I almost never get anything else there but they have the largest (other than AJ's) and best quality and best priced selection of meats compared to any other store in town. hands down.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Yeah, there's a few things we get at TJ's, but the produce and fresh meats are much better at Sprouts.
I think the only value of the produce and fresh meats at TJ's is as a stop-gap while you're stocking up on your real TJ's supplies. Merkin aside, I just have a feeling that the rest of you don't realize just how screwed you'd be if all the sudden you lived somewhere without a TJ's. And, by the way, without a Sprouts. For me, it's just one supermarket chain without any competition, and which doesn't even pretend to want to give you a reason to shop there.

"Did you find everything you need?"

"No, but almost half of what I came for, as long as I ignore the expired expiration dates. Why all the empty shelves and the areas with the fallen ceiling panels?"

"Why not?"
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:s
Yeah, there's a few things we get at TJ's, but the produce and fresh meats are much better at Sprouts.[/quote]

I think the only value of the produce and fresh meats at TJ's is as a stop-gap while you're stocking up on your real TJ's supplies. Merkin aside, I just have a feeling that the rest of you don't realize just how screwed you'd be if all the sudden you lived somewhere without a TJ's. And, by the way, without a Sprouts. For me, it's just one supermarket chain without any competition, and which doesn't even pretend to want to give you a reason to shop there.

"No, but almost half of what I came for, as long as I ignore the expired expiration dates. Why all the empty shelves and the areas with the fallen ceiling panels?"

"Why not?"[/quote]

lol

all things considered I can't complain. between the tj's, aj's, sprouts, safeway, albertson's etc that I mentioned I also have access to a decent butcher in Dickman's and also Rincon Market and Whole Foods. All within 3-4 miles of me. Almost anything I need at a reasonable price.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:s

"Why not?"[/quote]

lol

all things considered I can't complain. between the tj's, aj's, sprouts, safeway, albertson's etc that I mentioned I also have access to a decent butcher in Dickman's and also Rincon Market and Whole Foods. All within 3-4 miles of me. Almost anything I need at a reasonable price.[/quote]

Haha, good stuff.

Wish we had a Dickman's here. Need to try the camel burgers. For meat, I generally go to Spencer's Market, which is a small locally owned grocery story, not supermarket. They only sell choice beef. Most supermarket chains use select, which is a lower grade.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

"Grade 'A' Select Meats" sure does sound good, though. Kind of like how "rich, chocolatey goodness" = "no fucking chocolate".
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Local TJ's really need to up their game beer wise. . .
gumby

Post by gumby »

Regular purchases:

White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
Frozen string beans
Frozen broccoli
Hummus salad dressing
Orange chicken
Sweet and sour chicken
Three-minute brown rice and basmati rice
Steelcut oatmeal
Red and yellow curry sauces
Tomato basil pasta sauce

Lotta frozen, so that might not work for a four-hour drive.

Sometimes get the pot pies. Friggin love those, but I'm trying to slim down.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Regular purchases:

Frozen string beans
Frozen broccoli
Hummus salad dressing
Orange chicken
Sweet and sour chicken
Steelcut oatmeal
Tomato basil pasta sauce

Yes! That's a familiar and inspiring list. I'm bringing a gigantic iced cooler, so I plan on lots of frozen stuff. I'll try to resist the pot pies, then. Although after driving four hours for this groceries run, maybe I deserve the pot pies.
gumby

Post by gumby »

They say the pot pies are for two people. Must be the Olsen twins.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Random things I like from there...

Frozen falafel
Frozen gyoza
Jalapeno dill tartar sauce
Frozen mahi mahi patties
Cuban wrap
Horseradish cheddar potato chips
Chickpea salad
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Random things I like from there...

Frozen falafel
Frozen gyoza
Frozen mahi mahi patties
Cuban wrap
Chickpea salad
And you just say "ho hum" and go pick it all up and bring it home and go through it all and burp like it's nothing because you can turn around and restock any time you want? I'll probably buy it all and then try not to eat it because it's too hard to get more later.

Some of that stuff I planned on getting, but now I'll be looking for the falafel.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Sorry, man. We falafel for you. Can't get that in Chicago?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Sorry, man. We falafel for you. Can't get that in Chicago?
Maybe it's just me, but all too often nothing's worth putting on pants.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

A note of caution -

The tub of tiny chocolate chip cookies... avoid at all costs.

They are good and tiny, so you constantly say to yourself "I can totally have a couple more of these, they are so small"

24 hours later the tub is empty.

Also- I very much enjoy the pre packaged carne asada.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:A note of caution -

They are good and tiny, so you constantly say to yourself "I can totally have a couple more of these, they are so small"

ah yes I was going to mention the carne asada.
they also have a greek orzo pasta/chicken/olive pre made dinner too that I like. I don't eat premade stuff that often but when I do it is usually stuff from tj's.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah...I've done that before. I've come out of a stupor to realize I'm laying on the couch with an empty cookie tub and crumbs everywhere
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Longhorned wrote:What's good these days? What are you buying?
What am I NOT buying!

Love that place. Here is my usual, basic shopping list - I add and subtract things here and there, but I always have a list when I go there, otherwise I'll buy half the store ...

Ground Turkey
Vanilla Almond Beverage (1/2 Gal)
Chocolate Almond Milk (Qt box)
Soy Creamer (or as I like to call it, "I Am Creamer")
Dark Chocolate Coconut Water
Greek Yogurt (not Yoghurt)
Pretzel Stick
Ak Mak Crackers
Zucchini Bread
Bulgar
Quinoa
Reduced Guilt Chunky Guac
Hummus - never the same thing twice
Cheese - something fun, never the same thing twice
Fake Egg ("Best of the Egg" or whatever they call it)
Chicken or Vegetable Broth
TJ's Mineral Water
Dolmas (Canned actually, quite good)
Black Beans
Smoked Trout (can)
Chocolate Almond Granola
Frozen Haricot Verts (long skinny green beans)
Sweet Onions and Red Onions
Kale
Organic Pink Lady, Fuji or Gala Apples
Small Butter Lettuce head (if in stock)
Dark Chocolate Almond Toffee balls
New Mexico Piñon Coffee
Reduced Guilt Potato Chips
Panilonco Carmenere (Chilean red wine - $4 gonga)

Looking at this list, I realize I am keeping the almond industry afloat by myself. I also regularly (but not every trip) get pure aloe vera juice, local fresh eggs, and TJ-branded things like Apple Cider vinegar, Coconut Oil, Coconut oil cooking spray, Grapeseed oil (my "canola" or "vegetable" oil), Smoked Paprika, Himalayan Pink Salt, English Cucumbers, Celery Hearts, Romaine Hearts, Baby Crimini Mushrooms, Salsa Verde, Rosemary Marcona Almonds, Fig Butter, Pumpkin Butter, Rolled Oats, Wild Rice, Jumbo Hot Dogs, Multigrain Sandwich Bread, Unsweetened Cherry Juice, various crackers, lunch meats, and Stevia Drops. I could go on ... I haven't even mentioned things like frozen veg, ice creams, cookies, beers, other wines ...

Only things I haven't liked from there were the Speculoos "butter" (weird) and their fake Nutella (rather splurge on the real thing).

I'd say I do 60-70% of my food shopping there, then fill in with Target, Safeway, Costco, Dickman's and a few other specialty shops.
Merkin wrote:Note that Two Buck Chuck went from $1.99 to $2.49 in the last year so be prepared for some sticker shock.
It's been "Three Buck Chuck" here in AZ since the 1990s ...
CalStateTempe wrote:The only grudge I have against TJ's is that they didn't hire me my senior year in college, when I needed some extra cash. Apparently I wasn't "edgy" enough.
Should have grown some facial art and dyed a streak of hair white ...
That's the one I usually go to, and it is the biggest clusterfuck of an intersection, both turning in from Campbell and once you get in the parking lot. I usually come in from Limberlost and snake through the parking lot, going across to the river side then coming back in instead of trying to go in front of the store.
Alieberman wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I live like a mile from there and you're absolutely right. I don't go there very often because I can get cheaper and decent produce at sprouts
I've been boycotting Sprouts ever since they bought out Sunflower, because I liked Sunflower a whole lot better than Sprouts. F Sprouts. F Dinos for that matter ...
scumdevils86 wrote: all things considered I can't complain. between the tj's, aj's, sprouts, safeway, albertson's etc that I mentioned I also have access to a decent butcher in Dickman's and also Rincon Market and Whole Foods. All within 3-4 miles of me. Almost anything I need at a reasonable price.
Sausage Shop Meat Market on Prince 1 blk west of Fairview - best homemade sausages and cured meats in Tucson, thank me later ...
gumby wrote:Regular purchases:

Frozen string beans
Frozen broccoli
Hummus salad dressing
Orange chicken
Sweet and sour chicken
Steelcut oatmeal
Tomato basil pasta sauce

Like the Mac & Cheese (like Stoeffer's better though), like the Orange chicken but rarely buy it, buy their curry sauces from time to time, and their 3-minute (as well as their 20 minute) brown rice. Like their tomato basil pasta sauce as a very basic red sauce, but I rarely eat pasta anymore. Curious about the hummus salad dressing.

Frozen falafel
Frozen gyoza
Frozen mahi mahi patties
Cuban wrap
Chickpea salad
Dig their gyoza every once in a while, and think the horseradish cheddar chips are weird - bought them 3 times thinking I "Should" like them, that I want to like them, but I really don't.

*raises hand* Guilty. Also goes for their various animal-cracker stye "cats" as well as the dark chocolate pistachio toffee and coconut bon-bons.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Frozen falafel
Frozen gyoza
Frozen mahi mahi patties
Cuban wrap
Chickpea salad
The tartar sauce intrigued me, so I bought it today and just had it with The Ultimate Fish Sticks, seasoned with Johnny's (both Costco). Very good.

Rey, I was on a low salt kick for awhile. Salad dressings have a lot -- a surprising amount to me. The TJ's hummus is low in salt. Now it's my favorite, which is a nice bonus. I'd buy more there if I wasn't feeding kids. They're not adventurous.

The frozen croissants are very good. Set them out to rise overnight. Bake in the morning.
Last edited by gumby on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'll report back. Right now I'm going on an eating frenzy.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

gumby wrote:Rey, I was on a low salt kick for awhile. Salad dressings have a lot -- a surprising amount to me. The TJ's hummus is low in salt. Now it's my favorite, which is a nice bonus. I'd buy more there if I wasn't feeding kids. They're not adventurous.

The frozen croissants are very good. Set them out to rise overnight. Bake in the morning.
Thanks Gumby, I will have to try it next time I shop there, which should be tomorrow. I like hummus. I like salad. I like salad dressing.

Those croissants are good ...
Longhorned wrote:Wooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'll report back. Right now I'm going on an eating frenzy.
Who else pictures Longhorned lying half-prone in his easy chair or bean bag, grease shimmering on his upper lip, a slight forehead sweat going, some sort of hummus stain on his shirt, emitting an occasional belch and groaning under the accumulation of semi-digested food in his GI tract due to the heightened consumption of little cookies, falafel dipped in a variety of Trader Joe's sauces as well as the Kale and Greek Yoghurt dip, smoked trout, red quinoa and the chicken pot pie he promised he wouldn't buy ...
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

No love for the Truffle Brownie Baking Mix?

One highlight is the 4 bottles of pure cranberry juice I bought, which is a combined savings of $40 compared to buying that here in town. That alone more than makes up for the $25 I spent in gas for the 4-hour drive.

And what about the Trader Joe's exclusive $5.99 per bottle of D.O.C.G. chianti. Is this for real? I got a couple of bottles. That's normally in the $20+ range, which I can't afford.

I found a 20-month parmigiano reggiano with the rind only on one short side. Outstanding.

Non-nitrate lunch meats and cheeses galore. Probably saved about $20 right there.

The Grade B maple syrup saved me about $15.

$3.99 for a half gallon of milk? That normally costs me $7.99.

$1.99 for spaghetti? Those normally cost me $4.99.

The Danish pancakes.

I love the frozen meatballs. Got a few bags of those.

Sadly, they didn't carry falafel, so I put back the pita bread I was intending to buy.

What a savings on Dijon mustard. Unbelievable.

I love the imported flammenkuchen.

All the trail mixes filled with big chunks of chocolate.

Lots of coffee.

Fingerling potatoes.

Overall, I spent $355.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sd86 and I were at the traders Joe's at limberlost and Campbell earlier...and there was a fender bender in the parking lot haha. Just like advertised.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Longhorned wrote:No love for the Truffle Brownie Baking Mix?
Never tried it, heard it's solid though. Prefer Ghiaradelli (sp?) mixes.
Longhorned wrote:One highlight is the 4 bottles of pure cranberry juice I bought, which is a combined savings of $40 compared to buying that here in town. That alone more than makes up for the $25 I spent in gas for the 4-hour drive.

And what about the Trader Joe's exclusive $5.99 per bottle of D.O.C.G. chianti. Is this for real? I got a couple of bottles. That's normally in the $20+ range, which I can't afford.

Non-nitrate lunch meats and cheeses galore. Probably saved about $20 right there.

The Grade B maple syrup saved me about $15.

$3.99 for a half gallon of milk? That normally costs me $7.99.

$1.99 for spaghetti? Those normally cost me $4.99.

What a savings on Dijon mustard. Unbelievable.
What kind of jackass, ripoff supermarket operation are you stuck with in Chambana? Just adding up what you mentioned here, you easily saved over $120 in groceries, compensating for the $25 spent on gas many-fold. Is it really that much savings?

The Dijon is nice and bitey.
Longhorned wrote:Overall, I spent $355.
That's awesome. Sounds like two full shopping carts. Betcha the person behind you was PIIIISSSSSSSED!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Right all around, Rey. I'm not sure how much I saved.

I'd have to try them side by side, but based on the perfection of the TJ's brownie mix, I think you might like it even better.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In what third world banana republic does a 1/2 gallon of milk cost $8??
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:In what third world banana republic does a 1/2 gallon of milk cost $8??
In the home of the Crying Illini.

You should try eating in a restaurant here. Unaffordable.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:In what third world banana republic does a 1/2 gallon of milk cost $8??

Thanks LH...Thats all I needed to know about potential job opportunities in the area that i was looking into.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Longhorned wrote:

Where are you shopping, Strawberry Fields?
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Thanks LH...Thats all I needed to know about potential job opportunities in the area that i was looking into.
But I'm here!!!

Hold on. Property costs nothing. Chicago is right over there. Best barbecue north of Memphis and east of Kansas City. So it costs $240 for a proper evening in the best restaurant in town, and the closest Trader Joe's is 2 hours away. Don't put weight on my complaining. I'd complain about a big bowl of cherries. Too many cherries.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sidewinder wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Where are you shopping, Strawberry Fields?
Yeah, I went there once in 2007. I shop at Common Ground.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Reading this thread earlier today reminded me I needed to go to TJ's tonight.

Couple of new items:

- Gem Lettuces: I like them because of the variety (3 small heads of lettuce), and you don't feel like you have to rush through the bag. Saw them first in California in July on vacation, then came back home to AZ and Voila!
- South African Style Potato Chips: Basically a BBQ chip, but slightly different, with a more pronounced smoky flavor.

Gumby, also bought the Hummus Salad Dressing, will report back once I have a salad.
Longhorned wrote:Right all around, Rey. I'm not sure how much I saved.

I'd have to try them side by side, but based on the perfection of the TJ's brownie mix, I think you might like it even better.
Will have to try it next time I'm hankering for Brownies. Although, I do have 1 Ghiardelli mix left in the pantry.
Still trying to figure that out, I thought Chambana was near farm country ...
Sidewinder wrote:Where are you shopping, Strawberry Fields?
Forever?
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Longhorned wrote:
I figured it must have been one of those two if your prices are that high - a friend is on the Common Ground Board.

What's the best restaurant in C-U these days in your opinion? I make it over there occasionally for grant meetings, but usually end up at Silvercreek.
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I bought a full gallon of milk for $2.89 the other day. Time to start grocery shopping at gas stations Professor Longbottom.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Reydituto wrote:
Will have to try it next time I'm hankering for Brownies. Although, I do have 1 Ghiardelli mix left in the pantry.
My new idea is to not even wait until I have that hankering. I think it could just be my go-to for potlucks and "you bring a dessert!" dinners. I'll have to attach a note to the final product that says, "Vegetarian, Not Vegan." Grrrrrr.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sidewinder wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I figured it must have been one of those two if your prices are that high - a friend is on the Common Ground Board.

What's the best restaurant in C-U these days in your opinion? I make it over there occasionally for grant meetings, but usually end up at Silvercreek.
Bacaro. No doubt about it. It's actually getting better as time goes by. Next is Big Grove, though the sheer size of the place bothers me.

The best thing I can say about Silvercreek is that it's the kind of place you could bring your mother.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:I bought a full gallon of milk for $2.89 the other day. Time to start grocery shopping at gas stations Professor Longbottom.
I don't mind the Circle K's. I enjoy them. You're right, maybe I should.

As for supermarkets, I've worn out my welcome at all of them in town. I can't go into a supermarket anywhere in the state of Illinois or Indiana without becoming openly hostile. People here stopped making the mistake of stopping in to pick something up when I'm with them. I go into a kind of a frenzy, walking down every aisle and making fun of the food, saying "Look at this! Do people buy this? Do they eat it? And look at all this packaged meat! They don't even try to make it look appetizing! When did people in this part of the country decide to have such low standards of living? Do they think of themselves as farm animals? And why is this market so freaking big? Why is everything inside it so big? Everything's so big and yet there's not a fucking thing to eat in this place!"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:I bought a full gallon of milk for $2.89 the other day. Time to start grocery shopping at gas stations Professor Longbottom.

As for supermarkets, I've worn out my welcome at all of them in town. I can't go into a supermarket anywhere in the state of Illinois or Indiana without becoming openly hostile. People here stopped making the mistake of stopping in to pick something up when I'm with them. I go into a kind of a frenzy, walking down every aisle and making fun of the food, saying "Look at this! Do people buy this? Do they eat it? And look at all this packaged meat! They don't even try to make it look appetizing! When did people in this part of the country decide to have such low standards of living? Do they think of themselves as farm animals? And why is this market so freaking big? Why is everything inside it so big? Everything's so big and yet there's not a fucking thing to eat in this place!"
The good news is that you're White and have a very low chance of being shot while ranting against corporate asparagus at the top of your lungs.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:

LH, you nailed every supermarket I've been in Indiana and Southern Michigan. Its saying something when Kroger is the high end chain...

Martin's - yuck...they have perfected the art of packaged slop.

and Ham Salad? WTF is ham salad? There is nothing remotely close to "salad" in this weird packaged chopped processed ham concoction.

Fruit with dents and discoloration what previously only lived in my imagination.

And I love the reach-in tub freezers, reminds me of Fry's circa 1980's shopping with mom. Its like all the other supermarket chains got rid of their old technology and Indiana chains were like "over here, we'll taken em!". The equivalent of shipping Phoenix Suns 1993 NBA Champs shirts to Guatemala or some other godforsaken place.