Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Merkin »

One was reported to have shouted to Miller, as he walked off the court at Staples on Saturday, "Hey Sean - this one is on YOU!". He later retracted, but Sean Miller never forgets. ;)

Lute never did. Remember his post-stroke presser with Greg Hansen?
etank34

Post by etank34 »

Sigh...if the depressing ending to the season wasn't enough, now we get to have THIS conversation again. Some fans just don't understand how special it is to be competing for Final 4's at all, let alone as often as we have.

This program would be a dumpster fire if we didn't get Miller. And hopefully we don't get to realize that because some morons feel entitled enough to think Wisconsin going 10/12 in the second half from 3 is somehow on Miller. If Arizona goes the same way as my 49ers because of some morons I just don't know what I'll do with myself. Might need to just stop following sports all together.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

I think we should start sending cakes to CSM's office. Sort of a more edible version of a letter writing campaign. Show the man some love for cryin' out loud!

While I'm sure he would entertain an offer from the Tar Heels, I also have to believe there are a lot (LOTS) of people associated with the UofA and the athletic department who are fully aware of CSM's value, and certainly those people's opinions resonate more with the Miller's than some loudmouth dipshit in an arena.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:One was reported to have shouted to Miller, as he walked off the court at Staples on Saturday, "Hey Sean - this one is on YOU!". He later retracted, but Sean Miller never forgets. ;)

Lute never did. Remember his post-stroke presser with Greg Hansen?
Didn't we have a thread titled that here?

No one should ever forget how much Miller has lifted this program.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

What 97cats is telling us is fair...and looking at it objectively it's really just stating the obvious. Of course he'd have to listen if UNC or the NBA called (and good info that those are the legit options, thx).

I agree a title would definitely plant Miller here for the long haul. But would one Final Four?? That's hard to say, he'd probably have to consider the hell out of an offer. Hopefully we get to multiple Final Fours and/or a title in the somewhat near future, otherwise this will always be a concern lingering out there. (Not a concern of mine mind you, not at all...I'm all-in with Miller he can have a lifetime contract IMO.) But all of this is definitely NOT worth getting freaked out over at the moment, we have some good years ahead of us. I'm sitting here watching Trier, really excited for next year already.

But if Miller did feel as though us, or people on the program's peripheral didn't support him or believe in him...and he left for Carolina, or was semi-pressured elsewhere?? Like etank said above, it would be hard for me to continue to care as much as I do. Would be so stupid.
Salty

Post by Salty »

LBdCactus wrote:I think we should start sending cakes to CSM's office. Sort of a more edible version of a letter writing campaign. Show the man some love for cryin' out loud!

While I'm sure he would entertain an offer from the Tar Heels, I also have to believe there are a lot (LOTS) of people associated with the UofA and the athletic department who are fully aware of CSM's value, and certainly those people's opinions resonate more with the Miller's than some loudmouth dipshit in an arena.
Luckily, we have an Athletic Director who is fully aware of Miller's value.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

As long as Miller is the coach there will always be worry that he will leave. I don't know if it will happen, or what %age he'd go to (insert new job)...but what I can tell you is that him going to the Final 4 or winning a Natty would only continue to make people worry he'd leave.

Enjoy having Sean Miller as your coach. Enjoy the games as they are played. Enjoy the success that the players that leave get. Just fucking enjoy it and stop worrying all the damn time.

Things are good and are only going to get better...as they have since he's been the coach.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Salty wrote:Luckily, we have an Athletic Director who is fully aware of Miller's value.
That is definitely a positive. We need Byrne, Miller, and RR together as long as possible.
Salty

Post by Salty »

pokinmik wrote:
Salty wrote:Luckily, we have an Athletic Director who is fully aware of Miller's value.
That is definitely a positive. We need Byrne, Miller, and RR together as long as possible.
The oil investments help, without a doubt.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Olsondogg wrote:As long as Miller is the coach there will always be worry that he will leave. I don't know if it will happen, or what %age he'd go to (insert new job)...but what I can tell you is that him going to the Final 4 or winning a Natty would only continue to make people worry he'd leave.

Enjoy having Sean Miller as your coach. Enjoy the games as they are played. Enjoy the success that the players that leave get. Just fucking enjoy it and stop worrying all the damn time.

Things are good and are only going to get better...as they have since he's been the coach.
I'm with ya. Enjoying this ride, enjoying life too trying to stay as happy as possible. Fuck it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:As long as Miller is the coach there will always be worry that he will leave. I don't know if it will happen, or what %age he'd go to (insert new job)...but what I can tell you is that him going to the Final 4 or winning a Natty would only continue to make people worry he'd leave.

Odogg you've been bringing it ever since your "More" post.

I'm quickly coming around to this perspective because its just so much easier to be a fan this way.

Good lesson for life in general. Enjoy the ride, don't take it too seriously, work hard and do your best and let the chips fall where they may.

peace.

EDIT: Just saw pokinmik's post! tUP! 8-)
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

I agree, this is getting silly.

if Sean Miller wanted to leave, then it's like a recruit, why be butt hurt, get outta here.

I don't think he does, but if he does, why would you want someone to stay if he didn't want to?

So just enjoy today, the present.

PS - ya'll in for a shock. Sit the eff down.

2016 - Final Four = Arizona

Surprising, eh? Ask MSU how surprised they are this year. It's great.

2017 is about the NC though.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Bosy Billups wrote:I agree, this is getting silly.

if Sean Miller wanted to leave, then it's like a recruit, why be butt hurt, get outta here.

I don't think he does, but if he does, why would you want someone to stay if he didn't want to?

So just enjoy today, the present.

PS - ya'll in for a shock. Sit the eff down.

2016 - Final Four = Arizona

Surprising, eh? Ask MSU how surprised they are this year. It's great.

2017 is about the NC though.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Compete for the conference crown and make the tournament. Beyond that, Sean Miller would be exceeding expectations.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:its not how Coach Miller views Tucson or the University or the fans or anything about the program, its how all of those groups view Coach Miller.
The vast majority love him. If he is that butt hurt by a few he may not be the right man for the job here.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
97cats wrote:its not how Coach Miller views Tucson or the University or the fans or anything about the program, its how all of those groups view Coach Miller.
Thanks for the clarification. I can't believe there are groups (like the Phx Alum group apparently) that aren't willing to give Miller all the time and resources he needs to be successful.
What are you possibly talking about?
Salty

Post by Salty »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I can't believe there are groups (like the Phx Alum group apparently) that aren't willing to give Miller all the time and resources he needs to be successful.
Machina says that the Phx alumni group doesn't like Miller because he cancelled an event or doesn't show them enough love or whatever.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Machina says that the Phx alumni group doesn't like Miller because he cancelled an event or doesn't show them enough love or whatever.
That is not at all what what CST was referring to from the sound of things.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Machina is a pathetic douchebag and a fucking moron. If the likes of him and his cohorts have the ability to shape the future of this program then it is time for me to give up my fandom.
Salty

Post by Salty »

PHXCATS wrote:
Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
I am almost certain that is what CST was referring to.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Salty wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Salty wrote:quote="CalStateTempe"]

I am almost certain that is what CST was referring to.[/quote]

Then you don't know how to read. Time and resources is what CST said. Machina and other alumni not liking how Miller has np been in Phoenix has nothing to do with time and resources. Tell me does canceling an event or being short with Phoenix alumni have to with resources or time as CST was referring to?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Earlier post was referring to what people alluded to about phx alums not being happy with miller for whatever reason, and the time and resources comment was a feeling the miller was not getting what he wants to be successful.

Both posts were before we learned that some douchebag with cash berated miller as he was leaving the floor on sat.
Machina

Post by Machina »

CalStateTempe wrote:Earlier post was referring to what people alluded to about phx alums not being happy with miller for whatever reason, and the time and resources comment was a feeling the miller was not getting what he wants to be successful.

Both posts were before we learned that some douchebag with cash berated miller as he was leaving the floor on sat.
I for one and I know of others who feel the exact same way, want Miller to succeed but do not like things he has done. People are unhappy with him in PHX as you say but for not getting to a final four yet have nothing to do with that. I want him to do well and I am happy he is the coach of Arizona, I just personally do not like some choices he has made and his attitude at times. I would only trade him for four coaches. Stevens, Coach K, Coach Cal and Izzo. And coach K and Izzo are old so that would be a short window with them.

Sucks if Miller is that sensitive about a few boosters being upset in the heat of the moment that he might run off to UNC or the NBA. Honor the process coach.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Earlier post was referring to what people alluded to about phx alums not being happy with miller for whatever reason, and the time and resources comment was a feeling the miller was not getting what he wants to be successful.

I'm not aware of any Phx alumnus who are unhappy with Miller (Machina excluded).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Machina wrote:

I for one and I know of others who feel the exact same way, want Miller to succeed but do not like things he has done. People are unhappy with him in PHX as you say but for not getting to a final four yet have nothing to do with that. I want him to do well and I am happy he is the coach of Arizona, I just personally do not like some choices he has made and his attitude at times. I would only trade him for four coaches. Stevens, Coach K, Coach Cal and Izzo. And coach K and Izzo are old so that would be a short window with them.

Sucks if Miller is that sensitive about a few boosters being upset in the heat of the moment that he might run off to UNC or the NBA. Honor the process coach.
Rah roh. A shit storm is brewing. Hold on
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

If some chode booster really berated Miller like that in the heat of the moment after the game you know damn well it was because he was pissed Miller didn't order the team to foul with 52 seconds left. Fuck that guy. As if that was the only reason we lost. I guarantee Miller told the team to D the hell up and get one stop and unfortunately Dekker hit a fadeaway dagger three. Shit happens. Wiscy wasn't going to miss FTs and commit turnovers to piss away the game anyway, it was already lost unless we would've got that one stop - then maybe a glimmer of hope could've risen.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Machina wrote:

Ok Machina.... Please list the choices and attitudes you and your buddies have such a problem with. I seriously want to hear this laundry list of complaints
gumby

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I dont know what he is saying after that LMMFAO... This would be the ultimate April fools joke on everybody.
no, it means i think Gumby is fucking hilarious and makes me laugh all the time
Kiss me like Tom Crean!
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Machina wrote:

Are you going to chicken out again and not give us specifics? Let's hear these complaints about things Miller has done. Get it out in the open Machina. It will be cathartic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
Machina wrote:

Are you going to chicken out again and not give us specifics? Let's hear these complaints about things Miller has done. Get it out in the open Machina. It will be cathartic.
are you really going to ask a question you know the answer to?

Phoechina will never be specific. other than that one alumni cancelled event.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Once Machina chimes in you know the thread is shit
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Guys, give him time. It's a long list.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The "I do not like his attitude at times."

What is that crap? Generally, Miller shows a strong desire to develop a winning team. As an alumni, I don't care how he treats me. He could take a dump on my front porch every morning on his way to work. He has set a strong direction for Arizona basketball, and his players love him. That's what matters. If TJ McConnell loves the guy, I could not care less about the rest.

Miller has never represented Arizona poorly, and neither have his teams. Spare me the undefined talk about attitude.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sometimes a person is born into privilege and internalize that others serve to make him happy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Give Miller a BIG raise.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

3 mill for Gregg Marshall, guess they're happy with him. What was he making before this deal?

Check that.. found the answer
1.9 mill

Wow, big bump in salary.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Did this really happen? I sincerely hope not... and that it is not a result of the post I made in response to you, which was fabricated as nothing more than an attempt at good-natured ribbing. I thought the language, the retraction, and the ;) should have given it away.

As for how Miller treats Phoenix alumni, I have met him at 2 of those little meet-and-greet events, and he was nothing but gracious. While it is obvious he does not like the spotlight and is not especially comfortable as a target of adulation in a large group setting - he is very congenial and sincere... just like he is on camera.

Anyone who has a problem with him is pissed that he is not Rich Rod, who is exceptionally comfortable in those settings and the life of the party - they are very different personalities. Any Phoenix Alumni who have an issue with Miller over this need to deflate their over-sized egos and re-think how they evaluate a coach, or a person for that matter.

Both are very well respected by lower-to-mid level employees within the AD, but Miller is absolutely loved. Any insinuation that he does not treat people well is pure horsehit - quite the contrary.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Sometimes a person is born into privilege and internalize that others serve to make him happy.
This pleases me. Keep it up ... or else.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The "I do not like his attitude at times."

What is that crap? Generally, Miller shows a strong desire to develop a winning team. As an alumni, I don't care how he treats me. He could take a dump on my front porch every morning on his way to work. He has set a strong direction for Arizona basketball, and his players love him. That's what matters. If TJ McConnell loves the guy, I could not care less about the rest.

Miller has never represented Arizona poorly, and neither have his teams. Spare me the undefined talk about attitude.
if you don't care if some dude takes a dump on your porch every morning because you love how he does his job that much you have to get your priorities fixed.

I do care about the rest. I never said fire him or anything. I just don't really care for him with how he treats others.

Being short with alumni. clearly showing no interest in being at events. Saying you will do something then backing out later. Blaming fans for losses. Not doing events because you need to win at asu then losing I don't care for those things. But he is a good all around coach and as I said I would only for sure trade him for two coaches and consider to others.

I can like the work of someone without liking them. I am not too obsessed to not be able to separate them
Last edited by Machina on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Give Miller a BIG raise.
Figured at some point the ''back up the dump truck" sentiment would emerge. If I'm understanding the presumed issue. it isn't money. He gets a big pile of that now, and it doesn't appear to be moving the Am I Loved? needle. Hate to think a mere cash transaction is the cure.

Besides, love is cheaper. Back up the dump-truck of love!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I was fairly close to the corner section and watched them leave the court. Didnt hear anything
gumby

Post by gumby »

Machina wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:The "I do not like his attitude at times."

if you don't care if some dude takes a dump on your porch every morning because you love how he does his job that much you have to get your priorities fixed.

I do care about the rest. I never said fire him or anything. I just don't really care for him with how he treats others.

Being short with alumni. clearly showing no interest in being at events. Saying you will do something then backing out later. Blaming fans for losses. Not doing events because you need to win at asu then losing I don't care for those things. But he is a good all around coach and as I said I would only for sure trade him for two coaches and consider to others.

I can like the work of someone without liking them. I am not too obsessed to not be able to separate them
Must've missed the link on this. You've been asked to provide it. Did you?

Have you thought of any of this from his perspective? Even if he faked it and smiled through an event, you must know he'd rather be with his family. Wouldn't you? Do you at all sympathize with the vast demands placed on coaches and what that does to them personally?

Just because RR smiles through it, doesn't mean he enjoys it or wouldn't rather be elsewhere.

P.S. The part about the team going on to lose to ASU is sheer, unadulterated immaturity. "Hey, if you're gonna lose, might as well show up!" Like he could predict a loss. Why be a dick?
Last edited by gumby on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

This thread makes me laugh. Kind of like:

Q: Why do people sniff their fingers after itching their butt hole, or any other odorous area on their body?

A: I don't have a source for this (can't google at the moment), but I think it comes from our evolutionary drive to make sure we are healthy. If your crotch/taint/starfish smells different than usual, it may be a sign of infection or other bad juju. People that mutated an attraction to "funk stink" probably stuck around to breed longer, because they were more likely to smell their fingergnarst, and thus less likely to die of ass-MRSA or something equally fissurey and terrible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestio ... r_itching/
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

When did he blame fans for a loss?? I don't remember that.

Everything else you said Machina is about bailing on an alumni event. I get that you and some others would be peeved but cmon man, we are all adults here. I'd rather Miller do his job than show up to some event so I can sweat him like an 8 y.o. would his favorite baseball player.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Obviously in Machina World, Sean Miller's first responsibility is to Machina. All else should come second.

Just like Gumby, still waiting on that damning evidence that Sean blamed any fan for any loss. Let's hear it Machina. Finally sack up and show us what you've got.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Machina wrote:

I for one and I know of others who feel the exact same way, want Miller to succeed but do not like things he has done. (What has he done? You repeatedly avoid answering this?) People are unhappy with him in PHX as you say but for not getting to a final four yet have nothing to do with that. (This doesn't even make sense, please explain further) I want him to do well and I am happy he is the coach of Arizona, I just personally do not like some choices he has made and his attitude at times. (Again cryptic, why don't you actually step to the plate with some real information if you feel so strongly about it) I would only trade him for four coaches. Stevens, Coach K, Coach Cal and Izzo. And coach K and Izzo are old so that would be a short window with them.

Sucks if Miller is that sensitive about a few boosters being upset in the heat of the moment that he might run off to UNC or the NBA. Honor the process coach.(Sean Miller couldn't give two shits what the Phoenix boosters think, that's why he blew you guys off. All he cares about is what his family thinks, Greg Byrne thinks and potentially a few other high, high level donors and Arizona administrators. Run of the mill Phoenix boosters have zero bearing on his future, hate to burst your self-absorded bubble)
Please answer the bolded parts Machina, not holding my breath.
Machina

Post by Machina »

pokinmik wrote:When did he blame fans for a loss?? I don't remember that.

Everything else you said Machina is about bailing on an alumni event. I get that you and some others would be peeved but cmon man, we are all adults here. I'd rather Miller do his job than show up to some event so I can sweat him like an 8 y.o. would his favorite baseball player.
2013 2014 season.

And it is not bailing on one event. It has been multiple events he had a piss poor attitude then said he would do one then backed out

Why is it a deal if I like him as a coach but don't care for him much outside of that?
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Machina wrote:

2013 2014 season.

And it is not bailing on one event. It has been multiple events he had a piss poor attitude then said he would do one then backed out

Why is it a deal if I like him as a coach but don't care for him much outside of that?
He didn't blame the fans, that is utter bullshit. If anything he loved the fans who made Vegas McKale North and packed the Honda Center last year. Link something up.

It is incredible how self-absorbed you are. Sean Miller doesn't owe you any of his time.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Machina wrote:

2013 2014 season.

How did you learn about him blaming the fans? What game? There were only five losses. What did he say?
Last edited by gumby on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat34 wrote:
Machina wrote:

2013 2014 season.

He didn't blame the fans, that is utter bullshit. If anything he loved the fans who made Vegas McKale North and packed the Honda Center last year. Link something up.

It is incredible how self-absorbed you are. Sean Miller doesn't owe you any of his time.
Passive-aggressive, self-absorbed, and sensitive. Machina is a chick.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Machina wrote:

2013 2014 season.

1. The "he owes me" attitude about doing events. He's a basketball coach, not a professional ass kisser.
2. Acting like you know him, his attitude or anything. You don't.
3. Disregarding other potential reasons. Maybe he wants to spend time with family. What a bad attitude.
4. Having a perspective on him as a person that revolves only around how he does "events." Forget his family life. Forget his connection with his team. Forget how he gets players to rep Arizona well. Gotta focus on what really matters, huh?