Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gronk4heisman

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by gronk4heisman »

Longhorned wrote:I think I figured it out finally. He's seeing if Swanigan and/or maybe Brown will agree to commit so he can coordinate the announcements.

I see it like Lebron circa 2011, really wants to play for his hometown team but will come to the realization that no other good players want to play for that joke of a program. So in the end he will announce he is taking his talents to the south desert.

Disclaimer: no I don't actually believe he is coming to Arizona.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Anderson could play the 3?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:But Tarc isn't relevant to that question. Rondae and Ashley are Rabb's competition at the 4. Rabb doesn't want to play the 5. That's why Cal is trying to recruit a big-time 5 to play alongside Rabb.
Isn't Tarc graduating? Grad transfer? :D
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rabb said he also felt he could help the Wildcats “get over the hump to the Final Four,” but that Cal’s energy under coach Cuonzo Martin is getting his attention.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/e ... 999ac.html
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Rabb said he also felt he could help the Wildcats “get over the hump to the Final Four,” but that Cal’s energy under coach Cuonzo Martin is getting his attention.

He keeps dragging it and dragging it and dragging it.

Does anyone know if he's friends with our incoming players? Just wondering if there's any potential for good chemistry with Rabb, or if his one-and-done status will just be a distraction and a chemistry-breaker.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Rabb said he also felt he could help the Wildcats “get over the hump to the Final Four,” but that Cal’s energy under coach Cuonzo Martin is getting his attention.

If Cal had energy under Cuonzo, I didn't notice it during our games with them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I think I figured it out finally. He's seeing if Swanigan and/or maybe Brown will agree to commit so he can coordinate the announcements.

I see it like Lebron circa 2011, really wants to play for his hometown team but will come to the realization that no other good players want to play for that joke of a program. So in the end he will announce he is taking his talents to the south desert.

Disclaimer: no I don't actually believe he is coming to Arizona.
Hey! It's called the souf desert.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If Cal had energy under Cuonzo, I didn't notice it during our games with them.
HAHA! True!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Beachcat97 wrote:Does anyone know if he's friends with our incoming players? Just wondering if there's any potential for good chemistry with Rabb, or if his one-and-done status will just be a distraction and a chemistry-breaker.
not sure - he actually played aau ball with stanley, but we know SJ is gone. and last spring, he played with a couple of cal recruits, though both are c/o '16. pretty sure bash transferred from o'dowd by the time ivan came on board.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I don't know how the hell adults with type “A” alpha dog personalities like Miller can put up with this wishy washy never ending drama queen BS.

Recruiting........what a ******* nightmare.

Does anyone seriously think that after four years of high school, and multiple visits to the schools in question and multiple face to face visits with the schools coaching staffs over the years that Rabb doesn't know where the hell he wants to play basketball for one year.

I mean seriously, come the **** on already. Either college will be an excellent choice for a freaking one year pit stop.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I don't know how the hell adults with type “A” alpha dog personalities like Miller can put up with this wishy washy never ending drama queen BS.

Does anyone seriously think that after four years of high school, and multiple visits to the schools in question and multiple face to face visits with the schools coaching staffs over the years that Rabb doesn't know where the hell he wants to play basketball for one year.

I mean seriously, come the **** on already. Either college will be an excellent choice for a freaking one year pit stop.
Haha very true. The attention must be seriously intoxicating to some of these kids. Not necessarily about Rabb per se, but I also dislike how some kids let their parents control them so much, increasing some of the waffling. I'd tell my parents I'm doing what the hell I want if I had free offers at so many amazing schools.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

It's crazy for rabb and Swanigan to give a middle to AZ and MSU for the CAL! It's just shocking that playing for crap school is so appealing then a elite school and elite coaches who are proven at putting players in the league!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The 1 thing I know with certainly about Ivan Rabb is that Ivan Rabb will retweet anyone saying anything positive about Ivan Rabb.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I don't know how the hell adults with type “A” alpha dog personalities like Miller can put up with this wishy washy never ending drama queen BS.

You know it's ok to swear here, right? Fuck, shit, cock, balls
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dcZONAfan wrote:

-JB
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

UAEebs86 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

nailed it
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yahoo! sports guy sez: ... and some chatter about the package deal from espn and zagoria - mostly non-news.

hats off to cuonzo if he actually pulls this off. we're gonna need a new rhyme.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dirtbags wrote:yahoo! sports guy sez: ... and some chatter about the package deal from espn and zagoria - mostly non-news.

hats off to cuonzo if he actually pulls this off. we're gonna need a new rhyme.
Doesn't Zagoria talking about a package deal guarantee there won't be a package deal?
-JB
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

hah! sounds good to me!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I say bring it on if Cal actually swings this. Would be great for the conference.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

on and on it goes.. :)

"Arizona's already established," Rabb said. "Cal's got a new coaching staff, and they're very hungry. They're looking for someone like me to come in.

"Everybody wants me to stay home. I know if I stay, there will be a lot of support."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_27 ... source=rss
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

rabb is going to marry his first girlfriend no matter how terrible she ends up being.

He's that type.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthrea ... Recruiting

This has been expressed here by some astute posters and unfortunately, there are real legs to the notion.

That is that Rabb is waiting to commit in order to ensure himself that one or both of Swanigan and Brown will join him in Berkeley. To date, that has not occurred. The net is that if both decide to go elsewhere, Rabb may in fact switch his own allegiance to Arizona and we are left with nothing.

This is not good news to have verified by my sources but that's the case.

To be clear, I'm not cutting my wrists. I don't expect that to occur for two reasons. The first is that the emotional momentum and the conviction it requires to both decide to come to Cal and then sell it hard to others is very, very difficult to unwind. The past week has created a groundswell of love and support for Cal and Rabb from his family, friends, etc. Thus, even if Caleb and Jaylen "take their services" elsewhere, I still believe Rabb will be a Bear.

Secondly, I think there's a pretty darn good chance that one or both of Swanigan and Brown join him at Cal. You don't take three visits unless you're serious. You don't talk about a school publicly or the idea of playing together unless it's real. Swanigan's decision to announce next week while he's with Rabb at the Nike Summit is further good news.

Lastly, look at the class and next years team without Swanigan and Brown. It's really quite good and makes for an easy rationalization for Rabb to want to commit even without his boys.

I feel strongly that we lead for both Jolly and Miller so we get Rabb + Dillard + Miller + Jolly

Wallace, Bird, Mathews, Rabb, Miller, Rooks, Kingsley as your top 7 is pretty nice. Jolly and Dillard are quality freshman and Singer showed during the back half of the year that's he capable albeit not elite as a PG. That's 10 good players and a clear NCAA team. Then in Rabb's 2nd year, we add Frayer + 2 other top 50 kids including an elite PG while only losing Miller and Wallace. A deep run can be had.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Then in Rabb's 2nd year,

You keep dreamin'
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Rabb's 2nd year made me giggle inside.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hope those Thots commit somewhere else.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Then in Rabb's 2nd year,

You keep dreamin'
Having that at the end basically invalidates everything that comes before it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

WildcatStunner wrote:Rabb's 2nd year made me giggle inside.
Especially since Cal only has a one-year supply of water.
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:

Think you are going to owe 97Cat another keyboard.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So who's going to be on the team when Rabb is a senior?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Cuonzo is still there, 11 thugs.

First coach I've ever wanted Miller to negatively recruit against. You guys do realize Martin's trying to reel in Kravish's replacement, right?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Over/under on how many years until Cuonzo gets Cal sanctioned? No way those three guys all have the academics Cal requires.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm probably in the minority, but I want this guy.

This looks like a lineup that can win another Pac title:

York/Trier
PJC
Smith
Anderson
Rabb

Bench: Ristic, Simon, Pitts, Allen

And if Tarc comes back...even better.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

splitsecond wrote:Over/under on how many years until Cuonzo gets Cal sanctioned? No way those three guys all have the academics Cal requires.
Okay, let's not be those guys. People say that about us, Kentucky, etc. Sore loser talk.

Cuonzo = Roc

Know one will go there, but I will. He has an angle to sell to some kids that is hard to compete with.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Chicat wrote:So who's going to be on the team when Rabb is a senior?
catgrad97 wrote:If Cuonzo is still there, 11 thugs.

First coach I've ever wanted Miller to negatively recruit against. You guys do realize Martin's trying to reel in Kravish's replacement, right?
yeah, pretty big IF. cuonzo has yet to hold a hc job anywhere for more than 3 seasons. i guess he reeeally likes being the start of something...
cpt

Post by cpt »

Have you read Rabb's latest quotes? Wow. And my four year old thinks the world revolves around her...Just doesn't seem like a team-first guy at all. Maybe I'm wrong.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I think a while back this whole recruitment thing went from being about a basketball centered concern to a well defined “this is about me because I'm a star”.

Its now more about how much energy and time can I (Rabb) extract in maximizing the ass-kissing, graveling and fawning attention over me before I pull the trigger and put these head coaches out of their misery.

If you could read Miller's mine you would be amazed at what he really thinks about this recruiting BS.
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Funny and true story, a couple days ago Rabb played in his state championship game at Haas Pavilion, home of Cal Bears. He had said before the game that he would be announcing his decision after the game and everyone assumed he would be saying he was going to Cal since he was in their home gym.

The game was tied at 67 with Rabb on the line shooting two, no time left.

Now for the leadup...Golden State and Kerr had just landed in the Bay area airport from a road game, they were fifteen miles away from Haas, Kerr, Luke Walton, Bruce Fraiser all jumped in to Harrison Barnes car and raced from the airport to Haas, all of them except Barnes were decked out in heavy Arizona gear and they walked in just as Rabb was shooting his first FT, he noticed them come in and airballed the first FT, he did hit the second for the win though, but their presence and the very cool thing Steve did, probably with Miller asking him to, certainly got Rabb's attention. After the game the media swarmed Rabb waiting for his announcement at which time he said he changed his mind and was not ready to announce yet after all. I kinda think him seeing the GSW entourage led by Kerr, all decked out in Cardinal and Navy, may have made him rethink things.

I know the talk now is the package deal and that is looking more and more likely, but this story, which is 100% true from eye witnesses I know personally, may have at least givin him further pause to continue to consider Arizona.

Bear Down!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

If the kid was leaning our way none of the sh*t in this thread would be posted... And if he somehow ends up miraculously at AZ the tone will change on a dime.

He's an 18 year old kid whose family wants him to stay home and it seems he his having a tough time with his decision, for whatever reasons... But the confirmation bias from a bunch of armchair psychologists with no knowledge of the situation, other than the expectation that he is not coming here, is beyond amusing, if we all had made such mature, decisive, and brilliant decisions throughout our adult lives, let alone at 18 - many of us would not waste as much time as we do on college sports message boards.

And as a final note, the quality of young men that Sean Miller has prioritized has been 100% dead-solid-perfect, with the exception of the Josiah-Sidiki failures ver early in his tenure. If the kid was as much of a prima donna as some of you imply, Miller would have dropped him. see: Shabazz Muhammad & others.

Leave the kid alone...
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Here is another little insider tidbit, Miller backed away from Rabb about almost two months ago, he stopped going to his games and decided to stop pressuring him right after his visit here. The thinking, according to sources was that Rabb had expressed some annoyance with all the recruiting pressure ruining his senior year in HS. Calipari and his crew had been flying out for every game, Cal's staff was at every game and visit him at his home etc, Miller decided to do something different and told Rabb he was going to step back and give him breathing room but that he still wanted him and he was our top priority, he just wanted to respect his space and not add to further pressure. Some have suggested this was a calculated risk Sean took that may backfire because Cal has been going full press while Miller just backed off a bit. What I cant attest to is if Miller really backed off to give him room or if Miller started to see prima donna stuff he didnt like or maybe a little of both.

Arizona is still very much in the hunt and right now it is less Rabb's decision and more Swanigan and Brown, if they go to Cal Rabb does too, if they dont he is very much coming here. One other thing, as recently as three days ago Rabb has been spotted wearing a lot of Arizona gear and has an Arizona sticker on his car, what has been suggested is that Rabb really loves it here, his heart may be here but the pressure from Mom and family, friends etc, who are pushing for Cal, might be too much.

The big question here is, what is the point of staying home to play one year, he wont be playing at home in the NBA, why not get used to being away from home at a nice college with a great Wildcat family, instead of being introduced to real life away from home the first day he steps in to the NBA, whoever is advising him is not thinking about his future and how much it would benefit him to get away from home now to prepare to be away from home next year in the NBA.

Also one last little gem, Victor transferred about two days after Rabb's visit and those close to the situation said in pick up games when Rabb was here, he was the most dominant player on the court and that included all of the current Arizona players with Kadeem being the second best player.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Wow, interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. Guess the kid is struggling to make the correct
choice.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Why in these types of situations is there always some douchebag (or douchebags) advising these kids to make the wrong decisions for the wrong reasons :x

Can't they just leave him alone and give him the freedom to make his own decision about his own life. There's just so many scummy people out there trying to ride the coattails of great athletes, trying to mooch and leech as much as they can while the gravy train lasts. These people are completely useless. This type of thing seems to happen way too often and more times than not it's the athlete that pays the price. Everytime a player jumps to the pros way before he's ready you just know there's some greedy lowlifes advising him to do that. Same with picking the wrong college, transferring for the wrong reasons, etc.

The totally best thing for Ivan would be to get away from that environment and those people.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

I want to believe Button Salmon but I don't. I think Kerr showing up at Haas would have been written somewhere.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ZONACAT wrote:I want to believe Button Salmon but I don't. I think Kerr showing up at Haas would have been written somewhere.
Remember that talk about Stainbrook being in the mix as a possible grad transfer? Even though he has no eligibility?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

cpt wrote:Have you read Rabb's latest quotes? Wow. And my four year old thinks the world revolves around her...Just doesn't seem like a team-first guy at all. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yea I'm drifting towards meh on this now.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Longhorned wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:I want to believe Button Salmon but I don't. I think Kerr showing up at Haas would have been written somewhere.
Remember that talk about Stainbrook being in the mix as a possible grad transfer? Even though he has no eligibility?
He wrote that? LOL might be Jessie.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Button is bold faced lying
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Button is bold faced lying

Warriors were playing at Milwaukee the same night as Rabb's championship game.