Pastner

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dirtbags

Re: Pastner

Post by dirtbags »

would love to see him land somewhere like rice, sf austin, or unt where he'd be happy. heck, he could even stay in conference and run UH bb if he's feeling masochistic.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

What the fruck was a frush in the Ben Lindsey Era? A lawsuit settlement?

(And why is Auercat lurking when he no longer posts? :D )
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:I get what your saying Spiff. What I was trying to convey was that if you get the right people in the right position you can change the culture. ASSu isn't exempt from that.
Other significant difference beyond the ones already listed...When Lute took Arizona, no top 5 national programs existed in the Wildcats' backyard, guaranteeing an uphill battle to even wrest away local players with which to build. ASU went 13-14 and 19-14 in the 2 years prior to Lute's hiring, and had fired their "legendary" coach, Ned Wulk.

All of the other listed factors matter...quite a bit: college town, difference in how recruiting is executed, etc. But the biggest would be Lute was moving to a school he saw had potential, had been fairly successful recently (Snowen), and most importantly had no other competition in the state. Resurrecting ASU is an exponentially harder job today for all the reasons ASU already suffers, and because the new coach would have to compete with a massive program 100 miles southeast. Any local recruit worth building a program around is unavailable if Arizona wants them.
Lute was a great coach, but he was also aided by having the greatest player in program history grow up in Tucson and show up in time to let Arizona make the leap onto the national stage.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pastner has a Sendek type contract, where he gets full pay if fired without cause:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/pa ... on-year-ne

Dismissing Pastner solely because of the team's performance would be costly for the U of M. The Tigers would owe Pastner the balance of his contract — as many as four full seasons' salary, if he's dismissed before the date the contract automatically renews — if they wished to part with him.

Should Pastner leave on his own accord, he would owe one of a stairstep of sums — $700,000 if he leaves before April 6, 2014; $600,000 if he leaves between April 7, 2014 and April 6, 2015; and $500,000 if he leaves after April 7, 2015.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:Pastner has a Sendek type contract, where he gets full pay if fired without cause:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/pa ... on-year-ne

Dismissing Pastner solely because of the team's performance would be costly for the U of M. The Tigers would owe Pastner the balance of his contract — as many as four full seasons' salary, if he's dismissed before the date the contract automatically renews — if they wished to part with him.

Should Pastner leave on his own accord, he would owe one of a stairstep of sums — $700,000 if he leaves before April 6, 2014; $600,000 if he leaves between April 7, 2014 and April 6, 2015; and $500,000 if he leaves after April 7, 2015.
Good find.

Pastner is never leaving that contract.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Any chance Miller goes for Austin Nichols?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

catgrad97 wrote:What the fruck was a frush in the Ben Lindsey Era? A lawsuit settlement?

(And why is Auercat lurking when he no longer posts? :D )
My freshman year but even that next year Lutes first things got fun and loud!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No more N word in practices: http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/ ... l?d=mobile" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Good for Josh.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yep.

My dad used to go the UA practices when they were open to the public. He said that Lute's main guy KO used to use the N word all the time.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Is the UA fan consensus that Paster is the future coach of UA in training?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:Is the UA fan consensus that Paster is the future coach of UA in training?
absolutely not.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No way in hell.

The day that happens is the day I stop being a UofA bb fan.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No way in hell.

The day that happens is the day I stop being a UofA bb fan.

That some good trolling enfuego
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

0 chance.

Wish him well, but outside of AZ.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:Yep.

My dad used to go the UA practices when they were open to the public. He said that Lute's main guy KO used to use the N word all the time.
Wait what? With the -er at the end?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce wrote:
Merkin wrote:Yep.

Wait what? With the -er at the end?

Or the -a, not sure what version he used but my dad didn't care for it. My dad is 82 years old and not once have I ever heard him use the N word.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sounds like he's gone at the end of the season:

For Pastner, loss to ECU was the beginning of the end

http://www.commercialappeal.com/columni ... 98691.html
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Where does he end up?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I had him fired a month ago in the "Pastner or Alford" thread
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lost four of the last five now? I think we all knew he was gone before this season even started without a very strong regular season and deep tournament run.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Where does he end up?
Would be a helluva thing if Majerle hires him at Grand Canyon.
az91

Post by az91 »

catgrad97 wrote:
I would find it hard to believe that Pastner would take a job as an assistant at a lesser mid-major after being a head coach. Fortunately for him, he will be paid over 10 million dollars upon what appears to be an imminent firing. I wonder if Memphis will give Damon a shot at the job or will they want to move on completely?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

az91 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
I would find it hard to believe that he would take a job as an assistant at a lesser mid-major after being a head coach.
A very bad head coach whose team's never played up to the the talent on the roster.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Do not want at any time as head of UofA bb.

Just compare pastner to miller records at similar points in their respective careers.
az91

Post by az91 »

gronk4heisman wrote:
az91 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
I would find it hard to believe that he would take a job as an assistant at a lesser mid-major after being a head coach.
A very bad head coach whose team's never played up to the the talent on the roster.
Sad, but true. Then again, not too sad, given that 10 million payment. Wonder if he would be good on TV? Maybe the next Dicky V but with a U of A bias instead of Duke :lol: .
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea, he's pretty much done as a head coach at any halfway decent school now. I can see some bottom of the barrel team picking him up thinking he is the master salesman and can talk some better talent into coming in and maybe get them to some tournaments, but really... He has proven he isn't a quality head coach, at least right now. He will be at an inferior school (pulling in guys under Lute at Arizona is one thing, or at Memphis which is a good basketball school) and has little track record as a coach or developing talent, why would you sign w him? Honestly think the next move is a power conference school bringing him on as an assistant where he can work his salesmanship and pull some guys in. Texas school. Stay on and learn under the coach and hopefully grow (and grow up) in hopes that when that coach moves on down the road, he is a strong candidate to take his spot.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UNLV?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UNLV fired rice because he could recruit but not coach. Probably don't want a repeat.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

maybe they'll give it to damon
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Yea, he's pretty much done as a head coach at any halfway decent school now. I can see some bottom of the barrel team picking him up thinking he is the master salesman and can talk some better talent into coming in and maybe get them to some tournaments, but really... He has proven he isn't a quality head coach, at least right now. He will be at an inferior school (pulling in guys under Lute at Arizona is one thing, or at Memphis which is a good basketball school) and has little track record as a coach or developing talent, why would you sign w him? Honestly think the next move is a power conference school bringing him on as an assistant where he can work his salesmanship and pull some guys in. Texas school. Stay on and learn under the coach and hopefully grow (and grow up) in hopes that when that coach moves on down the road, he is a strong candidate to take his spot.
TCU should throw some money at him. Trent Johnson is a decent coach, but not a recruiter.

SMU and the Brown situation...nah. Shaka doesn't really need the help at UT, and the last thing Baylor needs is another recruiter who can't coach and develop.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TCU should throw some money at him. Trent Johnson is a decent coach, but not a recruiter.

SMU and the Brown situation...nah. Shaka doesn't really need the help at UT, and the last thing Baylor needs is another recruiter who can't coach and develop.
TCU and Texas Tech were two of the three schools I had in mind when I said Texas. And yea, I can't imagine Shaka being a person who could put up with Pastner's crap even if he needed him. Can't imagine a young coach wanting to bring in another young filled-with-testosterone personality to the program.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

TCU and Texas Tech were two of the three schools I had in mind when I said Texas. And yea, I can't imagine Shaka being a person who could put up with Pastner's crap even if he needed him. Can't imagine a young coach wanting to bring in another young filled-with-testosterone personality to the program.
I think TTU is destined to be a bottom feeder. Where TCU is located, plus a recent arena renovation, they could have potential.

I have trouble seeing Pastner swallowing his pride enough for a non HC job at UH, and I honestly don't know much about aTm's basketball culture. I do think being an assistant would help take the pressure off him and allow him to develop. It just has to be hard to go back to that.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Has to be dunzo now.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Is Pastner Alfording or is Alford Pastnering?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I'd take him as an assistant
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

"Stepping down without taking buyout. Heard from a friend inside AD offices. He's a good guy of incredible character."

Gotta love fanbases.... gullibility reigns supreme everywhere.

I just want those who bemoaned the fact that we hired Miller instead of Pastner (in seasons 1 & 3) to step forward and show themselves, I know there are a few out there...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cats101

Post by cats101 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
"Stepping down without taking buyout. Heard from a friend inside AD offices. He's a good guy of incredible character."

Gotta love fanbases.... gullibility reigns supreme everywhere.

I just want those who bemoaned the fact that we hired Miller instead of Pastner (in seasons 1 & 3) to step forward and show themselves, I know there are a few out there...
Yes, I remember that. Partner is a terrible coach.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Main Event wrote:I'd take him as an assistant
Hell no.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Want noting to do with Pastner. Can't coach, and for a "recruiter" who has he exactly recruited?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Who on his Houston Pipeline when he was recruiting for UA actually turned out well?

Ndudi Ebi never showed up.

Jawann McClelland had some personal issues and bad knees.

Fendi Onobun had a better career in football never playing the game.

Nic Wise never grew taller when offered as a freshman.

Garland Judkins was kicked off the team in MIller's first year.

Not saying these issues were Pastner's fault, just that there wasn't a star in the lot.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Having apparently reached a breaking point after the University of Memphis' 80-71 loss at six-win South Florida on Saturday, one Tigers fan has set up a GoFundMe.com account to help pay off the remaining four years of coach Josh Pastner's contract.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/ ... 61551.html" target="_blank
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man he sucks.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Contracts are important. Just ask Bruin fans.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SCCats wrote:Contracts are important. Just ask Bruin fans.
Not sure whom I'd rather have, Alford or Pastner. Sort of a toss-up. Both can recruit; neither knows how to win an actual game.
az91

Post by az91 »

Coop Cat wrote:
Although he might not be able to coach a lick, he sure knows how to negotiate a great contract.