Suck it, Bobby Hurley

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Enjoy it, Bobby Hurley

Post by Chicat »

His Twitter profile:
Jersey City born and raised. Duke Basketball. Sacramento Kings. Head Coach Arizona State University.
Soooo... Duke comes before his current job? Doesn't seem all that committed to the Sun Gerbils.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

his first tourney win or 25 win season at assu and he is gone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Elijah Thomas, highly rated transfer ASU had on campus for the game against us, committed to Clemson. I'm surprised the temper tantrum didn't work :roll: .
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The many faces of Bobby Hurley:

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He'll wait till K steps down.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Love all the comments but it still is crazy to me his team had momentum, had mounted a come back, and his team could have won this game. Does he even realize it?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CBCat wrote:Love all the comments but it still is crazy to me his team had momentum, had mounted a come back, and his team could have won this game. Does he even realize it?
They probably would not have won without his meltdown. The meltdown changed probably to definitely.

You might be able to blame Higgins for a quick trigger if Hurley hadn't doubled down on the stupid with the second T.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fake Bobby Hurley account punks Twitter

http://www.statepress.com/article/2015/ ... ks-twitter" target="_blank

Including Norville!

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tempted to see how quick Bobby Boucher Hurley blocks me on Twitter by asking him what he's planning to do for an encore, and if faking a stroke like his mentor Coach Rat Face is part of the plan. Probably have to accompany it with a pic of said Rat laying on the court...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hurley is preemptively blocking some Arizona fans it seems. Not sure how unless he is going through likes of inflammatory tweets about him and picking the likers out and blocking them. An Arizona alum blogger/journalist I follow clicked his name with the intent to say something and get blocked (to follow the trend) and found out she had already been blocked. She said she never tweeted anything at him or referenced him in her life. Her buddy tries to see if he is blocked, same thing.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

wow. hurley's going to need much thicker skin than that if he wants to succeed at this level. also, maybe he should spend more time coaching and less of it fretting over what the opposing fanbase is saying on social media. it's like asu hired a 19 year old to be their mbb hc.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If I knew how to set up a parody Twitter account, I would. Although, Hurley's real twitter is pretty close to a joke already.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Finally getting to see this game via replay on P12 Network......Man, Hurley was whining and throwing a fit during much of the game.......looks and acts like a petulant Dbag......perfect fit for ASSU :-).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I hope Bobby enjoyed his first coaching trip to McKale.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe Paola Boiven will tell us Hurley is closing the gap
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I hope Bobby enjoyed his first coaching trip to McKale.
Was that coaching? Looked like napping.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

CBCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I hope Bobby enjoyed his first coaching trip to McKale.
Was that coaching? Looked like napping.
(photo cred AZDesertSwarm)

He was either slouched on the sideline or sinking into his chair. No one on that bench was talking.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

List isnt that bad. But you mean to tell me Adam Morrison was more hated than Chris Webber (only an honorable mention)? Hurley outside of the top 10 is crazy too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Excuse to post this exists.

It is insane that Hurley isn't top 10. He and Laettner are 1a and 1b. You can make a strong case for an all Duke top 3 when you toss in JJ and his abortion contract.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

We need Hurley to do well this week. Go Scummies over da bears Saturday.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That GIF never gets old Space. I cannot think of a bigger headcase/troll in college basketball history. Dude is legit insane.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:That GIF never gets old Space. I cannot think of a bigger headcase/troll in college basketball history. Dude is legit insane.
I'm not sure that isn't the greatest sports gif ever.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:That GIF never gets old Space. I cannot think of a bigger headcase/troll in college basketball history. Dude is legit insane.
Cocaine turns you into a huge asshole . . . if you aren't one already.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm not sure that isn't the greatest sports gif ever.
Nah.

'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This one gives it a run for the money too

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatMG

Post by CatMG »

I imagine if he can improve asu to 10th place in the Pac-12 next season, he is looking at a lifetime contract.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

They just keep making the same mistakes with basketball in Tempe.

Garbage in, garbage out...
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

He got extended for last season?

That is embarrassing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
He should stop wearing that shirt/tie combo. I'm pretty sure it's the same one he wore when he got kicked out against us.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

but it's his lucky ejection tie :(
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ASSU and Bobby Hurley deserve each other.....can't wait till he bails out of that heap and will enjoy their usual meltdown afterwards. Lol
Schnebly

Post by Schnebly »

Bobby later that night... Image
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
He should stop wearing that shirt/tie combo. I'm pretty sure it's the same one he wore when he got kicked out against us.
You are right :lol: If you google image him, you see the same six ties over and over.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

At this point, wouldn't you want to be ejected if you were Bobby?

It takes some focus off the game, creates a "they are out to get me" narrative to sell to the 17 hardcore fans, and maybe, down the line, becomes a Coach K defense...."well, I wasn't actually on the court when we lost. If you take away the free throws from the unfair T, those are all deficits I could have overcome if I was allowed to stay on the bench. How can you blame me for losses when I wasn't coaching?"

I had some fear when they hired him. I mean, he did OK at Buffalo, by all accounts, he was a much better player than he ever got a chance to show at the next level, and he was a championship PG who played for a legendary coach (despite his character flaws). He was exactly what ASU needed to do for years rather than hire retreads (Frieder was a good hire, but that is the lone exception)...they need to find an up-and-coming coach to build the program and be identified with ASU, not another school. There is, in fact, a college hoops market in the Valley (hello, Thunder Dan), and their claims otherwise have always been just so much bullshit. But they needed an energetic young coach to mold the program after himself, to grow into the possibility of a program in the PAC 12. Someone who could energize the fan base, make DevilBall a product of his own style, and get the wins and crowd while slowly growing the base. And with a clear upward trajectory, the ASU AD could then keep such a coach by upgrading the position and its pay.

The upside of a program as toilet bowl as they have been in a major city with a decent arena in a major conference is unlimited, but you aren't going to hire yourself there. If you get a big name and choke down that salary, you are only getting someone looking to either rebuild after a recent failure or use you as a stepping stone. And the growth could not possibly be fast enough to keep them. But if you get a young guy building a program, you are a major conference team, and you could continue to make it worth it for them to stay as they accomplish each growth milestone. If you can pay, and you can upgrade based upon faith that the coach is building something, you also have a unique offer of a legacy. ASU could, with the right situation, grow with that coach and offer them the ego boost of being the first guy to do it, the Godfather of the program.

All of that takes a visionary AD, a young and energetic coach with a fun style of play, big time name recognition, and wins. The walls put in WFA can be torn down. The capacity can be increased. It is an unlikely story, but was impossible with the Evans' and Sendeks' of the world. Hurley was the first inkling that the AD was finally thinking straight up there. It was, in a lot of ways, like us hiring Stoops for football. Young, energetic up-and-comer with huge name recognition gets program in major conference with facilities that can be improved in a conference that is high end enough to be a destination.

Luckily, Hurley is like the worst of Stoops without even the positive we saw out of Mike before some personal issues got in the way of football. He is all sideline Stoops.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I don't see the market for college basketball in the Phoenix area. Phoenix is a mini-LA to me, too busy and too much competition for your limited time and money. A 7:00 game in Tucson is much different than a 7:00 game in Tempe. I can leave work at 5, pick up my kid from school, feed him and change him at home, and still make tip-off with time to spare. The traffic is not nearly as bad and even living in a suburb, it never takes more than 30 minutes to get to McKale. The Phoenix metro area is huge and spread out. If you work downtown, that's probably an hour commute home to Chandler or Gilbert, then another 30 to the game. So your other option is to head to Mill and waste time drinking til tip off, but then you have to worry about driving home drunk and if IIRC, the arena is still a decent walk from there. For the inconvenience for many people it's going to be for something big, not to watch ASU play Oregon State. Those games have to compete with the Dbacks, Suns, Cardinals, and Coyotes.

And I don't care what anyone says, Arizona is a terrible sports state in general. Im sure the number of transplants and the lack of a "history" of big winning are the main reasons. Dbacks cant fill up half the stadium unless they are a playoff team, I can't speak on the Suns attendance but I can say that the Suns ruled Phoenix in the 90s and you couldn't go a second without seeing a Suns sticker on a car or a Suns basketball hoop in a driveway in the valley; now I rarely see them when I am up there. The Cardinals fan base was minuscule until they moved into that new stadium and they have been able to maintain that with several playoff/super bowl contenders and the fact that you can make football an all-day event with the tailgating and such and it's only once a week for typically two weeks of a month. I'm sure things would change if ASU had a really strong team for a stretch of a few years, sort of what you saw with USC football when Pete Carroll was there, but as soon as that big winning and fad died down, back to the old days. Phoenix is a biggest show in town area just like LA, but at least LA still has a stronger base with the Lakers and Dodgers due to tradition. A larger population and a larger population base who will support the team whether they are winning 60% of their games of 40%. Tucson is not a great sports town either, but U of A hoops has been "The Show" in Tucson for over 30 years now. We are a contender most years and we can withstand an extended slump if one were to come and would bounce back if that slump got too long (ie 4, 5 seasons).

In terms of Grand Canyon, I'm sure it could be explained by several things. An attendance average of 5,500 isn't that bad for them, but it still is only 5,500. I'm sure much of that is a cult following because of their coach, a beloved ex-Sun who was the King of Phoenix for a while in the 90s. They also have a prime location that serves that side of the valley well and is a quicker drive from places where a ton of people are working, and it is much closer to the Suns, Dbacks, Coyotes and Cardinals, making it part of the "sports hub." It would take GCU making it to a bigger conference than the WAC and some really big winning for an extended period for them to fill seats in a bigger arena. By the time any of that happens Majerle will be on to bigger and better things. I'm sure being in a 7,500 seat arena helps too because it is more intimate, makes it feel like you are part of something special in filling the arena, and court side tickets are what, $9 each?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I agree with Phoenix as a mini-LA. ASU basketball has no tradition. To draw, they need to separate themselves from the crowd. They don't. If you like sports in Tucson, Arizona basketball is #1. If you like sports in Phoenix, ASU basketball is behind the Suns at all times. Until January, the Cards are probably first. ASU football outranks it.

Sooner or later, fans have to make choices about where to spend their money. Who wants to spend on a subpar product with no history of success when better options are available?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I can buy Phoenix as another LA for sports but not for much else other than it being spread out. There are hardcore fans for every team but lots of mistakes have been made by all the teams here in the Valley. That said ASSU should be better for their alumni base's size. I go to a lot of sporting events (U of A football every game minus maybe two every three years due to weddings birthdays etc., one basketball game in Tucson, the ASSU UA game in football and basketball every time here, most Cardinal games and a handful of the dbacks Suns and coyotes) if U of A played basketball here I would go to less Suns and dbacks to go to more of U of A basketball games. Not sure why ASSU fans don't.

Cardinals have built a great fan base here lately. If BA and SK can fix their arrogance and issues the Cards will continue to be top dog. Coyotes never should have moved to Glendale. I live central and it takes me a long time to get there. What about the many hockey fans in the EV? Many more in the EV than WV. Dbacks it is hard to tell what the real issue is but I think ownership is part of it. Good stadium and some good players and cheap tickets with a team that does a ton in the community should yield better fans. Suns are the team when things are moving but Sarver really screwed up time and time again. Don't blame Suns fans for losing interest since Sarver is one of the worst owners in all of sports.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PHXCATS wrote: Coyotes never should have moved to Glendale. I live central and it takes me a long time to get there. What about the many hockey fans in the EV? Many more in the EV than WV.

Aren't the Coyotes moving to the East Valley?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: Coyotes never should have moved to Glendale. I live central and it takes me a long time to get there. What about the many hockey fans in the EV? Many more in the EV than WV.

Aren't the Coyotes moving to the East Valley?
That's what the plan is but it isn't official from what I have heard.

The plan is Tempe across from Tempe Marketplace where the ASSU golf course currently is.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:I can buy Phoenix as another LA for sports but not for much else other than it being spread out. There are hardcore fans for every team but lots of mistakes have been made by all the teams here in the Valley. That said ASSU should be better for their alumni base's size. I go to a lot of sporting events (U of A football every game minus maybe two every three years due to weddings birthdays etc., one basketball game in Tucson, the ASSU UA game in football and basketball every time here, most Cardinal games and a handful of the dbacks Suns and coyotes) if U of A played basketball here I would go to less Suns and dbacks to go to more of U of A basketball games. Not sure why ASSU fans don't.

Cardinals have built a great fan base here lately. If BA and SK can fix their arrogance and issues the Cards will continue to be top dog. Coyotes never should have moved to Glendale. I live central and it takes me a long time to get there. What about the many hockey fans in the EV? Many more in the EV than WV. Dbacks it is hard to tell what the real issue is but I think ownership is part of it. Good stadium and some good players and cheap tickets with a team that does a ton in the community should yield better fans. Suns are the team when things are moving but Sarver really screwed up time and time again. Don't blame Suns fans for losing interest since Sarver is one of the worst owners in all of sports.
You gotta realize though that you would go to U of A games more because of the history and culture around the program. It's been the big thing here for four decades and that translates to the people of Tucson, their kids and grand kids, and students/alum, plus there is a personal and more intimate connection there. Just look to see how we fill arenas outside of Tucson. Outside of the dbacks, my two favorite sports teams have had quite a bit of success over the last 8-9 years. If Arizona is playing a conference game against UCLA at Pauley and the Seahawks (annual super bowl contenders) are playing Minnesota in the NFC wildcard game, guess which game is going to be on? It would take an ECF/NBA finals or a NFC championship/superbowl for me to have UA basketball be the 2nd game.

Thing with the Coyotes is, it's hockey in Arizona. I mean, hockey is probably the 6th most popular sport in Arizona, behind baseball, basketball, football, soccer and Nascar (in no particular order). And yes, Glendale is too far and that makes it even worse. To sell hockey in Arizona you have to be a powerhouse and make that the cool place to be. They are better suited to put that franchise in place that is the epicenter of the generally white, middle to upper middle class demographic. From there, quite a bit of marketing and affordable ticket prices are needed. I know at one point they were considering the old site of Los Arcos mall and that would have been a much better place. They just assumed a pro hockey team would sell itself and that is far from the case. Dbacks have several issue = season length, ticket and concession prices are too high, ownership is constantly dumping stars/likeable players for trash in return, the bright young stars are traded for trash in return, and in recent times the team has had more seasons of looking like circus clowns than they have had winning seasons. Too many dbacks teams over the years with 3, 4, 5 players on the 25-man roster who have no business playing in the major leagues or at least for more than a few games to fill in a roster spot for someone on the disabled list. As the eastern valley continues to grow, they too may be better suited to head out a bit more east from their current location.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

No it has nothing to do with history or success, it would be because I love sports and the U of A. It is why I have had season tickets for football ever since I graduated.

For the dbacks concessions are cheap compared to other stadiums. And Season length? It isn't like the dbacks play longer than the Cubs or Red Sox. What stars have you been concerned about the dbacks dumping?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

So if U of A was a run of the mill team in the Pac 12 conference, and only 2,000 - 3,000 fans showed up to games most games, and there wasn't the prestige with this program? If not, that's fine, just know you aren't the norm (not a diss, I respect it). I had football season tickets for years, graduated from the U of A, born and raised in Tucson, am a sports nut, and my close friends all have season tickets and come down from Phoenix for the games. I haven't been to a U of A football game in 5 years and rarely watch them on TV. I'm far from a front runner/fairweather fan, I became a Seahawks fan in the early 90s and stuck through a ton, I stuck with the Post-Bird Celtics, and I stick with the Dbacks. The difference between basketball and football is some of what I described, which built a stronger foundation for my fandom to take off from. Arizona football has never had that with me.

Yes, the dbacks play the same regular season as everyone else, but you gotta realize 162 games is a long time to keep people's attention and keep them engaged. If you suck, people disengage. You name the Cubs and the Red Sox, two organizations who have 100 plus years of history in those cities and the cities have taken in as their own. Those are the identities for many people in those cities. What has more impact and makes a team mean more to you, great grandfather -> grandfather -> father -> son -> 4-year-old, all of whom have stayed in New England throughout the generations? Or my father being a Dodgers fan from LA, moving to Arizona where he tried to make me a Dodgers fan but I wasn't in LA so I ultimately became a Dbacks fan, so my 4-year-old has one generation of a Dback fan passing it to him. Those cities dont feel the impact we do in Arizona because their families have loved those teams forever, they are still going to fill the stadium out of that deep love. Ask a Bostonian what the red sox mean to them and it is going to rank just behind family and God.

The Chase Field experience is indeed cheaper than pretty much any other stadium, but baseball games in general are overpriced, and if you aren't fielding a winning team regularly and you want to fill stands for the entire 162 game season and you are some of the teams with the hugest tradition and a strong sports city, you should be lowering everything. Yes, I can go Chase and get the bargain seats and sit far away and eat cheap and spend $70 on me and my son. Regardless, I'm spending $70 to sit far from the action and a good view of the left fielders ass when I could be stay home and watch on TV with a better view and use that $70 to buy my son a pair of Air Jordans that will last him all year. Sure, I will get my son to catch a game a season, but wouldnt the Dbacks want me to catch 2 or 3? Meanwhile, the game I do show up to, there are tons of seats down the baselines even with third base and halfway up and those are like $50 a pop. It's easy to see why parents take their kids once a year to catch a game, rather than 3-4 times a year. In terms of guys they have let go, Scherzer is one that pisses people off, Parra and Inciarte were two fan favorites, they pissed off Justin Upton and then shipped him off for a guy who played one year, Segura was a stud last year and he is gone, they traded Dansby Swanson who is a guy who could have become another Goldie in terms of face of the franchise player, they bring in Trumbo (giving up two guys fans were excited about in Eaton and Skaggs) then move him the next year, they trade the house for Richie Sexson and he doesnt stick around. Bauer and Parker were a young arms people were excited for. Randy Johnson for Javier Vazquez (who sucked and wasnt around long), etc.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I would. It wouldn't be as fun but I still would.

Baseball is tough but I really am only mad about Scherzer and the Swanson/Inciarte deals. All others I can see what they were trying to do or needed to do at the time.

As far as Hurley, the shine has worn off. No excitement or buzz at all. And not even enough passion for ASSU fans to want changes or adjustments. Think he will take a smaller school job after next year. No help no buzz and no progress so far. Losing that one recruit really hurt.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatLax9 (who I think just joined this board) posted over at Wildcat Sports Report that he heard on the radio ASU AD Ray Anderson asked the Arizona Republic to change reporters assigned to cover ASU Basketball, and they obliged. (From Haller to Metcalfe)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Lol...I flipped over to their game...he put the tarps back up. 1/3 full against a top 10 team.