Pastner

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

az91

Re: Pastner

Post by az91 »

http://www.commercialappeal.com/columni ... 68021.html

"But Pastner has four years and $10.6 million left on his contract after this season. If Memphis dismisses him, they'll owe him every cent of that. It would be the most expensive buyout of a coach in the history of college basketball."
az91

Post by az91 »

Oddly enough, Memphis is one win away from the tournament.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

az91 wrote:Oddly enough, Memphis is one win away from the tournament.
Hope he/they win and make the dance. Josh is and always will be a great Wildcat IMHO....wish the Dude nothing but success and hope he can turn it around there. Bear Down Josh and get it done!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
az91 wrote:Oddly enough, Memphis is one win away from the tournament.
Hope he/they win and make the dance. Josh is and always will be a great Wildcat IMHO....wish the Dude nothing but success and hope he can turn it around there. Bear Down Josh and get it done!
I just wish him every success away from the U of A. Never wanted him back, even when he was winning.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I'm not a fan of Memphis (city or the team) hope he makes the dance and they're stuck with I'm for a while
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

They are $tuck with Pa$tner irregardle$$ of the outcome of game$
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not one the brightest things you have ever said Josh.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Not one the brightest things you have ever said Josh.

Spoken like a guy who can't be fired. Did he take a dump on the podium immediately after?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Yikes, I don't think Josh has many fans in Memphis.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-774177.html" target="_blank

http://csnbbs.com/thread-774203.html" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:

Spoken like a guy who can't be fired. Did he take a dump on the podium immediately after?
:lol:
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Honestly we knew this would eventually go this way. No one but Cal can recruit to Memphis. And Cal set people's expectations far too high along with the help of the single dumbest person to ever play basketball.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

splitsecond wrote:Honestly we knew this would eventually go this way. No one but Cal can recruit to Memphis. And Cal set people's expectations far too high along with the help of the single dumbest person to ever play basketball.
Pastner's recruiting is not the issue. He can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. The next time he provides a game plan and the proper adjustments to put his team in a position to win a meaningful game will be the first time that's ever happened.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Chicat wrote:

hahaha, i approve of scorched-earth josh. maybe he'll wipe his ass with d-rose's jersey next.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

splitsecond wrote:Honestly we knew this would eventually go this way. No one but Cal can recruit to Memphis. And Cal set people's expectations far too high along with the help of the single dumbest person to ever play basketball.
Pastner has had two TOP 3 classes in his time there and had the 10th best class this last year. He has the most talented team on the court 95% of the time, but somehow manages to win less then 70% of the time. He honestly may be the worst coach in America. Also, Memphis has been a very popular school in the area even before Cal got there.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

az91

Post by az91 »

84Cat wrote:
Not surprising given the contract.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

lol

someone today at work told me the thought miller was on the hot seat and we should've hired pastner after all 7 years ago -_-
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:lol

someone today at work told me the thought miller was on the hot seat and we should've hired pastner after all 7 years ago -_-
I assume you referred them to HR for drug testing?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I assume you referred them to HR for drug testing?
hahahah
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

His name isnt Dan, is it?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Already posted in the other thread, but Josh deserves his own thread.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Reasons why this could go well:

-Pastner can recruit and there's a lot of talent in ATL.

Reasons why this could go poorly:

-Literally every other reason in history.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So GTECH actually hired JP? Wow. Memphis must feel like UDUB did when it went from Sark to Peterson which was a huge step up
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

LOL @ Ga Tech
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

merry xmas, memphis.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol is pastner the lane kitten of college bb?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I guess Georgia Tech doesn't have any access to the interwebs because if they did there is no way they make this hire.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

My god, it never ceases to amaze. A person that is categorically bad at their job and may even be unqualified on some levels at their chosen profession is going to keep being placed and hired in that profession and continuing to fail all the while becoming a multi-millionaire many times over from the sheer stupidity of incompetent administrators.

Simply put, Pastner is not a coach, he is an actor and plays a part well.

The dumbing-down of America rises all the way to the top.
az91

Post by az91 »

How long until Hansen says that Josh will try to poach Kobi Simmons and Terrence Ferguson?
Irish27

http://csnbbs.com/thread-776899.htmlRe: Pastner

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It's going to get ugly in the ACC for JP
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:Lol is pastner the lane kitten of college bb?
Okay... Did you hack my cell phone?

That is verbatim the text that I sent my brother when I heard the news with one exception...

I typed 'Pastner is' rather than 'is Pastner'.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Gladiator Cat wrote:My god, it never ceases to amaze. A person that is categorically bad at their job and may even be unqualified on some levels at their chosen profession is going to keep being placed and hired in that profession and continuing to fail all the while becoming a multi-millionaire many times over from the sheer stupidity of incompetent administrators.

Simply put, Pastner is not a coach, he is an actor and plays a part well.

The dumbing-down of America rises all the way to the top.
I agree with your premise, but not the part in bold. I actually think he plays his part AWFULLY. He has come off as a poser since he got the Memphis job, and he seems no more natural in the role now than he did then.

Combine Lane Kiffen's propensity to fall UP a flight of stairs with Steve Lavins phony positivity and mastery of cliche-speak - and you have Josh Pastner.
Merkin

Re: http://csnbbs.com/thread-776899.htmlRe: Pastner

Post by Merkin »

Great posters on that site, I am a fan!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

John Mackovic comes to mind. Why oh why?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Where are all the Pastner lovers out there? Come defend your boy...
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Olsondogg wrote:Where are all the Pastner lovers out there? Come defend your boy...
Well I'm no "Pastner lover." Whatever that means. But I'm not understanding what he could possibly need help defending against. He just moved up to arguably the best conference in college basketball, and his already fat bank account just got fatter. Seems to me like he's doing just fine.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Lol is pastner the lane kitten of college bb?
Okay... Did you hack my cell phone?

That is verbatim the text that I sent my brother when I heard the news with one exception...

I typed 'Pastner is' rather than 'is Pastner'.
Did you also call him Lane Kitten?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Macho Grande wrote: He just moved up to arguably the best conference in college basketball,
Only means he will get exposed on a more frequent basis.
azgreg

Re: http://csnbbs.com/thread-776899.htmlRe: Pastner

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:

Great posters on that site, I am a fan!
There are some great gifs in that thread.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Macho Grande wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Where are all the Pastner lovers out there? Come defend your boy...
Well I'm no "Pastner lover." Whatever that means. But I'm not understanding what he could possibly need help defending against. He just moved up to arguably the best conference in college basketball, and his already fat bank account just got fatter. Seems to me like he's doing just fine.
If that's how you rate a coach, then that's on you.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

rgdeuce wrote:
Macho Grande wrote: He just moved up to arguably the best conference in college basketball,
Only means he will get exposed on a more frequent basis.
Yeah. He probably gets hurt pretty bad in the ACC.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pastner is learning, finally hired a X/O guy. Made the same mistake Lavin did at UCLA, which he corrected at St. Johns when he hired Dunlap.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Pastner needs an X and O guy. He should be able to recruit fairly well. GT has a new arena and is in a fertile recruiting ground. Josh's problem has always been having the talent convert to results on the floor.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Yahoo had front page article about Pastner: The most confusing hires of the college basketball coaching carousel

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-most-c ... ncaab.html
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Olsondogg wrote:
Macho Grande wrote:
Who said I was rating him as a coach? But since you bring it up, he's 167-73 after his first go-round as a head coach, and he's still only in his 30's. I sure as hell wouldn't call that failing.
Last edited by Macho Grande on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Macho Grande wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Macho Grande wrote:
Who said I was rating him as a coach?
So you aren't defending his coaching but his negotiation skills to get out of a contract before getting canned?
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Olsondogg wrote:
Macho Grande wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Macho Grande wrote:
Who said I was rating him as a coach?
So you aren't defending his coaching but his negotiation skills to get out of a contract before getting canned?
I'm saying the guy is doing just fine in life, and he doesn't need defending from anybody. At worst, he takes a beating at GT and goes right back to being one of the highest paid assistants for a while until he's ready to take another crack at it further down the road after more time and experience. Based on his skills development and recruiting skills alone, there will be no shortage of good coaches lining up to hire him if that happens.

Hell, forget about winning as a coach. The guy is winning at life, plain and simple. The smile on his face says it all. Whether it's as a head coach, or high paying assistant, he gets to make fat stacks the rest of his life doing exactly what he loves to do. And whether you admit it or not, I think that's what bothers guys like you the most about him. Why does a cocky douchebag like that get to have such a great life, while someone as awesome as you has to settle for being just another random guy who whines about cocky douchebags on internet message boards, right? Sorry, life isn't always fair.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Life is totally fair. I wouldn't trade my life for Joshie's and his "fat stacks' and "the smile on his face".

You see the thing is, don't be that guy. I may be serving his kids burgers while they're on the way to a ski trip, but at least I won't be unoriginal.