Josh Jackson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Josh Jackson

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how accurate is 247? Did they have Rabb and Brown going to Cal?
55% :D
Interesting. It sounds to me like JJ's intentions are very much still in flux. But if these 247 dudes are all saying Kansas, it's probably not just smoke.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Look, nobody has been able to call this at any point. A few months ago, Arizona was the slight leader in a tight battle with Michigan State, and Kansas was a distant third. Some reports even said it was a two team race with Kansas completely out. Then all of a sudden Michigan State is a lock. Then it was he is announcing for Kansas tonight. Now it is Kansas is a lock and the announcement is coming next week. People have come out and said how tight this circle is, that things aren't leaking. Experts need a story, they can't sit on their hands and say they have absolutely no clue and until you hear something, nothing is true. I've read in more than one place that China could be an outcome, no matter where he commits. When there is a bunch of speculation and it isn't going your way, it is completely normal to feel some type of way about it, to get that bad feeling in your stomach and think the worst. But this is a unique recruiting battle, you got to take a step back and realize it isn't largely about what Miller, Self and Izzo are doing or not doing. Our contingency plan is unbelievable, especially if we lock up TF. We are in a good spot regardless, and obviously on top of the world if he commits here. We can still get to the top of the world with what we have if he chooses MSU or Kansas, or ends up overseas.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Look, nobody has been able to call this at any point. A few months ago, Arizona was the slight leader in a tight battle with Michigan State, and Kansas was a distant third. Some reports even said it was a two team race with Kansas completely out. Then all of a sudden Michigan State is a lock. Then it was he is announcing for Kansas tonight. Now it is Kansas is a lock and the announcement is coming next week. People have come out and said how tight this circle is, that things aren't leaking. Experts need a story, they can't sit on their hands and say they have absolutely no clue and until you hear something, nothing is true.
The guy who put out the rumor that JJ was going to announce for Kansas last night was apparently just pulling that out of his butthole.

I would guess it's going to happen at the McDonalds All American Game, and I still personally believe Arizona has as good a shot as anyone.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JJ has been a top priority for a while, but if we lose him and get Ferguson, that's as good a "consolation" as it gets. Ferguson/Alkins/Simmons/Markannen is a loaded class. JJ/Alkins/Simmons/Markannen is a ridiculously loaded class. JJ/Ferguson/Alkins/Simmons/Markannen is a borderline unbelieveable class.

JJ's recruiting has always been patient and close to the vest. That's why it was weird to hear the rumors about him committing out of the clear blue sky. Doing it next week makes a lot more sense.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:JJ has been a top priority for a while, but if we lose him and get Ferguson, that's as good a "consolation" as it gets. Ferguson/Alkins/Simmons/Markannen is a loaded class. JJ/Alkins/Simmons/Markannen is a ridiculously loaded class. JJ/Ferguson/Alkins/Simmons/Markannen is a borderline unbelieveable class.

JJ's recruiting has always been patient and close to the vest. That's why it was weird to hear the rumors about him committing out of the clear blue sky. Doing it next week makes a lot more sense.
What's really nuts is that if we were to get the unbelievable class of 5, our class still would only be the third best class this year behind Duke and UK. Although I would argue that our class is the best of the bunch and a couple of UK's players are overrated (I see you Wenyen Gabriel). The rich get richer.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Look, nobody has been able to call this at any point. A few months ago, Arizona was the slight leader in a tight battle with Michigan State, and Kansas was a distant third. Some reports even said it was a two team race with Kansas completely out. Then all of a sudden Michigan State is a lock. Then it was he is announcing for Kansas tonight. Now it is Kansas is a lock and the announcement is coming next week. People have come out and said how tight this circle is, that things aren't leaking. Experts need a story, they can't sit on their hands and say they have absolutely no clue and until you hear something, nothing is true.
The guy who put out the rumor that JJ was going to announce for Kansas last night was apparently just pulling that out of his butthole.

I would guess it's going to happen at the McDonalds All American Game, and I still personally believe Arizona has as good a shot as anyone.

Yes! Me too fwiw
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how accurate is 247? Did they have Rabb and Brown going to Cal?
They get it right about 5 minutes before players announce
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

60 percent of the time it's right every time.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

JJ to Pitt, says Rich Walsh.
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

2 days ago 8-)

Cassius Winston was asked about Jackson today after leading U-D Jesuit to a Class A semifinals win over Macomb Dakota.

“I really don’t know,” Winston said of Jackson’s decision. “Wherever he goes, best of luck for him. We’ve talked a couple times, but I couldn’t tell you where he’s going.”

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... /82271140/" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Following recruiting is idiotic, so I'm not proud to say that I've followed this recruitment closely enough to call Jackson to Arizona back in November. I know enough about this recruitment to know that literally nobody able to report anything secretly knows. But I still think the same signs point to Arizona. If I'm wrong, at least I won't go to jail for it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kid's handling the pressure very well. Smooth interviewing style. Sure looks like he likes Sean Miller a lot, and that might have tipped the scales for Arizona? 8-)

"Coach [Sean] [Miller and I have a very good relationship," Jackson said ]of Arizona's appeal. "He coached me for U19 basketball over the summer, and I really got to get a good feel of how he is as a coach, and I really like what I saw. He's a real good coach. He gets into you sometimes, but it's only to make you better -- that's ultimately what I really wanted which is [a coach] to try to make me better."

Jackson mentioned that Arizona's commits -- namely Kobi Simmons and Rawle Alkins -- have been actively recruiting him.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... state-date" target="_blank
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Following recruiting is idiotic ....
Too bad we don't have sigs anymore.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's idiotic to observe something that isn't interesting. When September rolls around about five months from now, I could take five minutes and look at Arizona's new roster, noticing the rankings and reading through the paragraph-long analysis of each new player. Even that's a bit much, since most serious fans won't start to take notice of the new players until Red/Blue or the early non-conference games.

So what's the point in getting upset back in September of 2015 that a high school player backed away from his earlier commitment, getting excited that an international player came on board in November, and worrying in December through mid-February that the incoming class looks thin?

I remember learning who Matt Othick was when he entered the first McKale game with a minute and half to go of garbage time against New Mexico. It wasn't until the internet in the 2000's that I'd learned there was some kind of drama in beating out UNLV for him.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Two of our smarter posters saying the same thing right derrrr.

I used to blow '97 up with recruiting questions that as time goes by I realize...were so less significant than anything else we do as fans of the basketball program. And that's saying something.

Really hoping Josh picks Tucson but the constant back and forth on a kid that 90% of my 'Cat fan friends won't know of anyway if he doesn't - feels odd. I think Raab was the first to really teach me that actually.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Really hoping Josh picks Tucson but the constant back and forth on a kid that 90% of my 'Cat fan friends won't know of anyway if he doesn't - feels odd. I think Raab was the first to really teach me that actually.
Pretty sure JJ's impact will exceed Rabb's one season at Cal.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading about it non-stop obviously....ha!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading about it non-stop obviously....ha!
We're all glued this week, BDV. It'll be over soon, though.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:It's idiotic to observe something that isn't interesting. When September rolls around about five months from now, I could take five minutes and look at Arizona's new roster, noticing the rankings and reading through the paragraph-long analysis of each new player. Even that's a bit much, since most serious fans won't start to take notice of the new players until Red/Blue or the early non-conference games.

So what's the point in getting upset back in September of 2015 that a high school player backed away from his earlier commitment, getting excited that an international player came on board in November, and worrying in December through mid-February that the incoming class looks thin?

I remember learning who Matt Othick was when he entered the first McKale game with a minute and half to go of garbage time against New Mexico. It wasn't until the internet in the 2000's that I'd learned there was some kind of drama in beating out UNLV for him.
Right. I mean, I look at the threads, but trying to make sense of them is crazy-making.

The information is just so shaky. Look at Tyler Dorsey. "Guy's a cancer. Nobody wants to play with him." Looked like a good teammate to me on a team with excellent chemistry.

Before the Internet, we wouldn't have even cared about him going somewhere else, because we wouldn't have known about the initial drama.

But there is the telenovela factor. Provides drama to those in the know.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JJ is definitely committing here tomorrow. You heard it here first.

Keep in mind, there is always a tomorrow, and I can later claim that I posted this from whatever college he commits to.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The big burn for me was Ndudi Ebi.

Ben Hansen pimped him all the previous summer, we got jacked about his D against LeBron, then the next thing I know I'm hearing David Stern announce "Doody Eh-bee" as the first pick of the Minnesota Timberwolves in the 2003 draft.

These are kids with no monopolies on wisdom when it comes to the correct decision about their futures. This is why I rarely view mixtapes and mainly just look at offer sheets to see who our main competition is.

If it's Carolina, Duke, UConn, Michigan State and Kansas, I feel pretty damn good about who we're getting and will indulge myself in a little speculation on future lineups.

But as the Justin Simon/Allonzo Trier door continues to revolve, I grow less and less impressed, as SCCats does, with the hype around mid- to late-first round projections straight out of high school.

Save an exceptionally strong bond to a school, none of these guys seem willing to develop in college anymore. Hard to take a long-term rooting interest in a player like that and keep saying, after awhile, "Good luck. He'll always be a Wildcat."

Especially when he barely was.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Whatever JJ chooses, he will always be one of my favorite Wildcats of all time.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Whatever JJ chooses, he will always be one of my favorite Wildcats of all time.
Yep. He, Brandon Jennings, and Ebi.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I wan't my sons to be good at basketball, and get recruited, only so that I can have fun with everyone on recruiting websites...

Speaking of which, both boys are in the 90th %ile in height...just saying...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:I wan't my sons to be good at basketball, and get recruited, only so that I can have fun with everyone on recruiting websites...

I think this would be a blast. Every word or gesture a pump fake. Every reaction a guy soaring by helplessly.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I wan't my sons to be good at basketball, and get recruited, only so that I can have fun with everyone on recruiting websites...

I think this would be a blast. Every word or gesture a pump fake. Every reaction a guy soaring by helplessly.
I'd have them take an official and several unofficials to ASU just to be a dickhead.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote:
gumby wrote:

I'd have them take an official and several unofficials to ASU just to be a dickhead.
You're not afraid of diseases?

I hope you're not an anti- vaxxer.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Kid has Kansas written all over him.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
gumby wrote:

You're not afraid of diseases?

I hope you're not an anti- vaxxer.

Nope. Wife's an NP...we got all the required shots...plus she went to ASU for her 2nd and 3rd nursing degrees...so she has an immunity built in. My son still can't comprehend why she "went to the sundevils. They are yucky and mean, mommy".
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The worst part about the internet and recruiting is how the internet trains you to follow recruiting, and to make asinine predictions about recruiting. In the case of Jackson, literally every justification of MSU, Arizona, or Kansas is either BS or based on shadows that could be construed in any number of ways. And unlike most things in life, you won't even understand the recruitment after it's done because the real reason for the decision is hardly ever shared. If Jackson commits to Arizona and says it's because of his relationship with Sean Miller, there's no real reason to believe that's actually the reason. It's fine if you're willing to accept that it doesn't matter anyway, but what a waste of time for everyone who follows it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:Kid has Kansas written all over him.
His HS team got eliminated in the state championship quarterfinals?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:The worst part about the internet and recruiting is how the internet trains you to follow recruiting, and to make asinine predictions about recruiting. In the case of Jackson, literally every justification of MSU, Arizona, or Kansas is either BS or based on shadows that could be construed in any number of ways. And unlike most things in life, you won't even understand the recruitment after it's done because the real reason for the decision is hardly ever shared. If Jackson commits to Arizona and says it's because of his relationship with Sean Miller, there's no real reason to believe that's actually the reason. It's fine if you're willing to accept that it doesn't matter anyway, but what a waste of time for everyone who follows it.
You don't enjoy breathlessly breaking down every emoji a kid uses on twitter like the Zapruder film?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:The worst part about the internet and recruiting is how the internet trains you to follow recruiting, and to make asinine predictions about recruiting. In the case of Jackson, literally every justification of MSU, Arizona, or Kansas is either BS or based on shadows that could be construed in any number of ways. And unlike most things in life, you won't even understand the recruitment after it's done because the real reason for the decision is hardly ever shared. If Jackson commits to Arizona and says it's because of his relationship with Sean Miller, there's no real reason to believe that's actually the reason. It's fine if you're willing to accept that it doesn't matter anyway, but what a waste of time for everyone who follows it.
All of this plus one more thing. I chuckle when a camera is shoved in the recruits face, and he's asked "Are you sick of the hype or fans or whatever bugging you about where you are gonna go?" and the kid is like "yeah" when he, or those around him, have asked for all of that. It could be a simple as tweeting out a decision, or releasing a statement through someone...but meanwhile it's usually made on TV and with a bunch of hype.

So really, the question should be "Are you sick of the decision you and yours made to make this recruitment a spectacle, especially considering that you have already made up your mind and are now in just full troll mode?".

I mean, remember the Cliff Alexander saga and then Illinois fans losing their mind? Meanwhile, Cliff Alexander is in currently head manager of the Photo department at the local Walgreens ...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
enfuego wrote:Kid has Kansas written all over him.
His HS team got eliminated in the state championship quarterfinals?
That was a thing of beauty.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So what do people who know a little more (get premium) think about the original Thursday commitment? Good or bad sign for Arizona?

JJ was rumored to be committing Thursday and all the rumormill said he was going to commit to Kansas. Then it turned out the Thursday commitment was true (JJ said himself) but he held off committing because most of his friends + family couldn't be there for the special occasion. It seems to be down to KU & Arizona, MSU on the outside looking in. If the Thursday thing was right, who knows if the KU thing was also correct.

He was supposed to be in Lawrence (Thursday) so I guess a lot of people assumed he would commit to Kansas since he was going to commit the same day. But with the McDs AA game and other factors he never was in Kansas. Numerous people also think we can't get both which is wrong. He says he already knows where he'll go but just waiting for an announcement

If you think he's choosing AZ, was he going to commit to Arizona Thursday?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There is really no way to know where he would have committed. His recruitment has been played tight to the vest. Seemingly, the only people who really know which school at this point are JJ and his mom.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

lol
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:So what do people who know a little more (get premium) think about the original Thursday commitment? Good or bad sign for Arizona?

JJ was rumored to be committing Thursday and all the rumormill said he was going to commit to Kansas. Then it turned out the Thursday commitment was true (JJ said himself) but he held off committing because most of his friends + family couldn't be there for the special occasion. It seems to be down to KU & Arizona, MSU on the outside looking in. If the Thursday thing was right, who knows if the KU thing was also correct.

He was supposed to be in Lawrence (Thursday) so I guess a lot of people assumed he would commit to Kansas since he was going to commit the same day. But with the McDs AA game and other factors he never was in Kansas. Numerous people also think we can't get both which is wrong. He says he already knows where he'll go but just waiting for an announcement

If you think he's choosing AZ, was he going to commit to Arizona Thursday?
Premium members could get banned for sharing premium information. But there's no rule against saying there is no premium information on this recruitment. Fact is, there's no premium information ever. Premium just allows you to get your questions answered by those who talk to the coaching staff, and those who talk to the recruits and their circles. As a result of the former, basketball-related discussions tend to get going and come full-circle on the premium board, and then nobody feels like talking about those things again on this board.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Main Event wrote: lol

Any chance this is real?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Any chance what is real? Its a real video. What does it mean? Oh lord, what does it mean???

LOL
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:Any chance what is real? Its a real video. What does it mean? Oh lord, what does it mean???

LOL
Yeah but it is real like shoes or a taco or diarrhea?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Any chance what is real? Its a real video. What does it mean? Oh lord, what does it mean???

LOL
Yeah but it is real like shoes or a taco or diarrhea?
It's real like herpes. The gift that keeps giving.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

LH I know what you meant but FTR I wasn't asking for premium info. I wanted an opinion of premium guys because you do read the things said by people who are close and have little more know-how than the average fan (opinion carries a little more weight).
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

LOL
Any chance what it is implying is actually real.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

That does appear to be Kobi Simmons & Josh Jackson. Despite that I think it's fake, would he really give up his college decision so easily and carelessly after being so cautious and keeping it close to the vest. Dammit I don't want to get excited.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If I were Josh Jackson, I'd either set up an announcement in Lawrence to say "I'm an Arizona Wildcat" or outside McKale to state "I'm a Jayhawk". Or I'd drive over to Lansing after the McD's game to hug Izzo and state that I'm China bound.

Any of those scenarios are awesome.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gronk4heisman wrote:

LOL

Of course.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

LOL

Of course.
But of course he could have also just been fucking around. I think his intention is to see this thread right here hit 30 pages before he even announces.