Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: That worked, but I sent a PM to Merkin awhile back that just sat in my Outbox for months, until I finally just deleted it.

Maybe he didn't want to talk to me! :lol:
Haha, sorry, I never even notice when I get PMs. Not sure the counter is working for me.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote: That worked, but I sent a PM to Merkin awhile back that just sat in my Outbox for months, until I finally just deleted it.

Maybe he didn't want to talk to me! :lol:
Haha, sorry, I never even notice when I get PMs. Not sure the counter is working for me.

Just sent another one - see if you get it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona-New Mexico: Together again on the court

Anthony Gimino @AGWildcatReport

Sean Miller on Arizona playing New Mexico for the first time since 1999:
12:30 PM - 19 Dec 2016

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3409 ... all-mckale" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sure hope UNM isn't bringing the clock operator from The Pit.

Signed,
Lute
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Vegas

11 1/2 Arizona

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... las-vegas/" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

UNM was awful. Dont want to take away from what our boys did tonight, but weaker opponents typically come in and step it up against us.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Couldn't shoot and will need a new coach at years end
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Time sure does fly. I could hardly believe it has been 17 years since they last played when it was mentioned during the game.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller Postgame New Mexico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWaL2rYM5k" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CatMG wrote:Time sure does fly. I could hardly believe it has been 17 years since they last played when it was mentioned during the game.
Yes it does...doesn't seem that long ago we got screwed by the clock operator at the Pit. Also, I believe there were some pretty nasty reports on NM fan behavior towards our players?.....

Also was that the game that Eugene 'The Enforcer' Edgerson layed out one of their players on the floor with a questionable elbow in mid court? I can close my eyes and almost see that play in my head ;-). Think he got away with that one as I don't recall it being too obvious but extremely borderline?

Anyways, UNM is a lose/lose situation IMHO...i disagree with CSM on the merits of scheduling the ASSU of New Mexico. They benefits to them greatly outweigh those to us....I'm already dreading the Pit next year and the antics that seem to ensue their lowly fan base. Ughhhh.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
CatMG wrote:Time sure does fly. I could hardly believe it has been 17 years since they last played when it was mentioned during the game.
Yes it does...doesn't seem that long ago we got screwed by the clock operator at the Pit. Also, I believe there were some pretty nasty reports on NM fan behavior towards our players?.....

Also was that the game that Eugene 'The Enforcer' Edgerson layed out one of their players on the floor with a questionable elbow in mid court? I can close my eyes and almost see that play in my head ;-). Think he got away with that one as I don't recall it being too obvious but extremely borderline?

Anyways, UNM is a lose/lose situation IMHO...i disagree with CSM on the merits of scheduling the ASSU of New Mexico. They benefits to them greatly outweigh those to us....I'm already dreading the Pit next year and the antics that seem to ensue their lowly fan base. Ughhhh.

Ehhh.... if they suck, they suck and no crowd no matter how noisy will make a difference.

The reason those games back in the day were more painful was they were actually competitive.

My memory of those times was any time Arizona played at the Arm Pit, the broadcast seemed like it was being beamed back to Tucson from the moon.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:...Also was that the game that Eugene 'The Enforcer' Edgerson layed out one of their players on the floor with a questionable elbow in mid court? I can close my eyes and almost see that play in my head ;-). Think he got away with that one as I don't recall it being too obvious but extremely borderline?
It was at BYU. Nothing questionable or borderline about it at all. It ended the BYU players career. Edgerson should have been jailed for assault and battery and never been allowed to play the game again.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

What's the deal with him not playing walk-ons when we are up by 30? Why even risk injury on a freak play? It was a scary few seconds when Simmons went down.

Is it because Miller:

A) hates walk-ons in general . (compared to the way Lute used them)
B) This is the least athletic, most timid group of walk-ons in AZ history
C) Uses blowouts as an opportunity for practicing plays
D) Actually scared we will lose the game
E) Some of the above
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KaibabKat wrote:Edgerson should have been jailed for assault and battery and never been allowed to play the game again.

Foreshadowing of things to come sadly.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

considering we were about to have a 10 day break and we still only have 7 players, 3 of which are main contributors and are freshmen...they need as much playing time as possible before we get to conference play. besides, F UNM.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
The fans were throwing shit at our players from what I recall.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMAO @ 25th ranking and LMAO @ USC being 22nd. :lol:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

KaibabKat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:...Also was that the game that Eugene 'The Enforcer' Edgerson layed out one of their players on the floor with a questionable elbow in mid court? I can close my eyes and almost see that play in my head ;-). Think he got away with that one as I don't recall it being too obvious but extremely borderline?
It was at BYU. Nothing questionable or borderline about it at all. It ended the BYU players career. Edgerson should have been jailed for assault and battery and never been allowed to play the game again.
The dude was throwing elbows at Edgerson all game. Edgerson's elbow just happened to be the one that ended it, so all the power to him and F that dudes career. BYU has always been notorious for their cheap shot players but are the first to cry when it happens to them or one of their dudes get laid out. Their whole school is like that, from first hand experience and directly from the mouths of multiple players from multiple sports who competed against them in the Mountain West.

edit: there. I take Lute's word over a Cougars any day of the week.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7309 ... layer.html" target="_blank
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

rgdeuce wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:
The dude was throwing elbows at Edgerson all game. Edgerson's elbow just happened to be the one that ended it, so all the power to him and F that dudes career. BYU has always been notorious for their cheap shot players but are the first to cry when it happens to them or one of their dudes get laid out. Their whole school is like that, from first hand experience and directly from the mouths of multiple players from multiple sports who competed against them in the Mountain West.

edit: there. I take Lute's word over a Cougars any day of the week.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7309 ... layer.html" target="_blank
BYU is notorious for starting fights in all their sports. Hell, I think it was only two years ago they started a brawl with Memphis in a football bowl game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BYU athletes are some of the dirtiest and most classless in sports. just watch any of their football games and they are nut punching, tripping and doing all kinds of stuff.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

ASUHATER! wrote:BYU athletes are some of the dirtiest and most classless in sports. just watch any of their football games and they are nut punching, tripping and doing all kinds of stuff.
Not doubting you on this as I don't know but isn't this a bit ironic? BYU, a religious school with a strong moral code is doing all this crap.....smh.

OR, Is the fact they don't allow those guys to get laid the root cause of the hostility??? ;-)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Most are older and married already so that can't be jt
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:BYU athletes are some of the dirtiest and most classless in sports. just watch any of their football games and they are nut punching, tripping and doing all kinds of stuff.
Not doubting you on this as I don't know but isn't this a bit ironic? BYU, a religious school with a strong moral code is doing all this crap.....smh.

OR, Is the fact they don't allow those guys to get laid the root cause of the hostility??? ;-)
I hate painting with broad strokes, but it's a Utah thing. My parents moved there (not LDS) after I graduated high school. Many up there are the kings of mouthing off but tuck their tails between their legs when you step to them. And they mouth off over anything. Not trying to portray myself as Joe Badass because I'm not, but just a few examples, all occurring in a 9-month window: I accidentally cut a guy off and for a whole block I watched him rage in my rear view and tell me to pull over. Eventually I did and got out of my car. He stayed in his and became very apologetic. Another time, myself and four teammates were leaving a social event and some random guy from a group told my buddy to "shut the f--- up" when he was being a loud drunk. We were outnumbered probably 8 to 5, but when it came down to fighting, five of their eight didn't even jump in and merely watched as their three poor friends got pummeled. Another time, I was (unknowingly) banging this dudes girlfriend. Dude shows up to my work and confronts me while I'm working the register. I told him he needed to check his girl because I had no idea. He took that as me being scared I guess, so he threatened me. When I turned to my manager and told her I was taking 15 to "handle this," he changed his tune to a "just stay away from her man."

I have a temper, but I don't like confrontation or fighting. It is just so constant that you find yourself in these situations all the time. Little things in traffic, people act like you ran over their dog. I truly believe it is because most of that state is middle to upper class whites, most of whom are very religious. So the odds of running into a docile person are probably pretty high. No knock on that demographic, I fit into it myself outside of the religion, but I also went to tougher and more diverse schools growing up. They aren't exposed to "reality" and don't see that there are people out there who can and will fight, that are missing a few screws, that carry guns and knives. It's more diverse now but back then, as long as you acted right around Samoans and Tongans you were good. That carries over to their sports. What do wimps do in fights when they aren't confident? They cheap shot. They know they can elbow a dude, or nut punch, or whatever, because the odds of a player losing his cool and Ron Artesting them is not that high. If that does happen, they have the refs and their teammates to protect them. Their teammates see this, so they start doing it. It's a culture there.
Bangkok Wildcat

Wow, interesting take rgdeuce, thanks.

Seriously, I find you one of the more interesting posters on this board so I always appreciate your take on things. Bear Down.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Some Miller-as-coach info from the SID:

In Miller's 11 seasons as a head coach, all 32 players who completed their entire eligibility at the school he is coaching at have graduated, including 16 at Arizona. In all, 19 seniors have graduated from Arizona under Miller, a 1.000 batting average.

His Wildcats had been ranked for 78 consecutive weeks coming into the season

Since the start of the 2012-13 season, Miller's Cats are 4-0 in the regular season vs teams in the AP top 10 (#5 Florida, 12/15/12; #6 Duke, 11/29/13; #9 Gonzaga, 12/6/14; #8 Utah, 1/17/15)

Overall, Miller is 6-2 at home vs ranked opponents, 3-3 on the road, and 6-9 in neutral settings,making him one of only 2 Arizona coaches to have a winning record vs ranked teams (Lute, Sean)

Miller averages one player drafted per season as coach (7 in 7 seasons) and has also seen TJ McConnell make the Association ad an undrafeed free agent. All 7 drafted players (5 first round) were Miller recruits, making the number a bit more remarkable as he did not have a freshman one in done his first season, so in reality it is 7 in 6 years once his players started being drafted. The 2015 NBA Draft was the third in a row with multiple Arizona draftees and the first since 1998 with 2 first round picks. Figure TJ was just overlooked given his staying power, and the 2015 season put 3 players in the NBA...

Until last season's odd circumstances of team schism over the Pitts situation mixed with multiple senior 1st year players vs 4 year players, Miller's teams going back to Xavier had only lost to a lower seeded team one time in the NCAA tournament...and that instance was a one point loss as the #1 seed in 2014 to the #2 seed, not exactly an upset of note given the Cats missing Brandon Ashley. The #1 seed was largely gained by a 21-0 start with the full lineup. The Cats had a thin bench after multiple dismissals during the 2012 season and the questionable declaration for the draft in 2013 by Grant Jerrett.

The defensive prowess Miller is looking for may have been most on display that 2013-14 season, with the Cats holding their opponent under 40 points on two different occasions (60-25 win over WSU, 71-39 win over Utah) and under 50 points 6 total times...

Fun with media guide analysis
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

I hate painting with broad strokes, but it's a Utah thing. My parents moved there (not LDS) after I graduated high school. Many up there are the kings of mouthing off but tuck their tails between their legs when you step to them. And they mouth off over anything. Not trying to portray myself as Joe Badass because I'm not, but just a few examples, all occurring in a 9-month window: I accidentally cut a guy off and for a whole block I watched him rage in my rear view and tell me to pull over. Eventually I did and got out of my car. He stayed in his and became very apologetic. Another time, myself and four teammates were leaving a social event and some random guy from a group told my buddy to "shut the f--- up" when he was being a loud drunk. We were outnumbered probably 8 to 5, but when it came down to fighting, five of their eight didn't even jump in and merely watched as their three poor friends got pummeled. Another time, I was (unknowingly) banging this dudes girlfriend. Dude shows up to my work and confronts me while I'm working the register. I told him he needed to check his girl because I had no idea. He took that as me being scared I guess, so he threatened me. When I turned to my manager and told her I was taking 15 to "handle this," he changed his tune to a "just stay away from her man."

I have a temper, but I don't like confrontation or fighting. It is just so constant that you find yourself in these situations all the time. Little things in traffic, people act like you ran over their dog. I truly believe it is because most of that state is middle to upper class whites, most of whom are very religious. So the odds of running into a docile person are probably pretty high. No knock on that demographic, I fit into it myself outside of the religion, but I also went to tougher and more diverse schools growing up. They aren't exposed to "reality" and don't see that there are people out there who can and will fight, that are missing a few screws, that carry guns and knives. It's more diverse now but back then, as long as you acted right around Samoans and Tongans you were good. That carries over to their sports. What do wimps do in fights when they aren't confident? They cheap shot. They know they can elbow a dude, or nut punch, or whatever, because the odds of a player losing his cool and Ron Artesting them is not that high. If that does happen, they have the refs and their teammates to protect them. Their teammates see this, so they start doing it. It's a culture there.

Damn RG, you're a closet baaad a..s brah. Just got around to reading this post.
Good stories. Made my morning just a little better. Not sure why, but better.
Maybe cause I agree with a lot of your thoughts. 8-)

You're on the money with this...

"It's more diverse now but back then, as long as you acted right around Samoans and Tongans you were good."
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiYI8zOe-k" target="_blank

Note - Miller's comment on not giving effort (full game).
"If we do that against UCLA, they'll win by 30 .." sic but you get the message. 8-)

My guess...depth and no Trier a big issue going forward.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Jay Bilas on Gameday just said that CSM should be leading for National Coach of the Year. Hard to argue with that and good to hear that from my favorite analyst.

Why the hell is there a Gameday at Cameron before Miami!?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lute4God wrote:Why the hell is there a Gameday at Cameron before Miami!?
I'll give you three guesses, but if your first one isn't "ESPN gargles Duke's nuts" then what are we even doing here?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

HiCat wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiYI8zOe-k

Note - Miller's comment on not giving effort (full game).
"If we do that against UCLA, they'll win by 30 .." sic but you get the message. 8-)

My guess...depth and no Trier a big issue going forward.
Loved Miller's comments after the SC game. He is always looking at the big picture and doesn't give a shit if we lose if it sends the right message and the team benefits in the long run.

We as fans live and die each game but he see's things much differently and I totally respect that.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Post game comments:

Miller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJShbG41UQ8" target="_blank

Kobi and Lauri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVjrbVVfn8" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'd say Miller pushed all the right buttons after the USC game, huh?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:I'd say Miller pushed all the right buttons after the USC game, huh?
I would say.

He always has full control of his team. When he issues a challenge (or maybe you'd call it a threat) like he did after the SC game his players always seem to respond - they even recite his words afterwards.

You better commit to the process under CSM because it's his way or the highway.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

A scary thing to think about if you have to play us, I think this team has already been, if not the best, one of the best offensive teams under Miller at Arizona. Before Trier. I know UCLA is not a good team to judge your offense against defensively, but something tells me we are going to see a few more 90+ point games in our future
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Barring a disappointing finish or collapse, Miller just locked up a Naismith Coach of the Year trophy last night.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:Barring a disappointing finish or collapse, Miller just locked up a Naismith Coach of the Year trophy last night.
But not PAC-12 COY. If Arizona wins the conference, that bars him from the award. If he doesn't win the conference, it still goes to Altman. That's how it works.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Id laugh my ass off but not be surprised at all
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thought it was interesting what Miller said about Allen NOT guarding Ball. Alford is expert at using screens and other off-the-ball maneuvers, and it's asking a lot of a freshman to deal with that. So Allen was on him.

As for Ball, Miller said he's going to do what he wants regardless of the defender.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Does he start Allonzo, Kobe or Rawle Thursday?
gumby

Post by gumby »

My guess: Same as Saturday.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Does he start Allonzo, Kobe or Rawle Thursday?
2 out of the 3.

My uneducated guess is Zo starts by the Oregon road trip and Kobi is the 6th man.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I think Trier starts the Saturday game. Get everyone used to the new roles before heading out for the 2nd biggest road trip.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

I think Zo starts Thursday, either way if you saw Millers presser you know it's gonna be very soon
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I don't think it matters who starts and who doesn't. Who gets the minute mid to late second half in tight games is what matters.

That being said to me this is by far and away Miller's best coaching at Arizona. At times I have felt the team with the amazing recruiting was equal to the sum of the parts. This year I think it is far greater than the sum of the parts. 2011 was the same way but I feel like this year the Cats are not so dependent on one player.

Haven't always liked all of his coaching and decisions in the past but I am loving everything he is doing this year. I don't blame him for the players letting off the gas a bit in some games. I applaud him greatly for his responses after those.

Miller should be national coach of the year if the votes were today no doubt about it.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Just one quick thing: Sean Miller should retire in Tucson. We found the exact right replacement for Lute and we need to hang on to him with every fiber of our being.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Just one quick thing: Sean Miller should retire in Tucson. We found the exact right replacement for Lute and we need to hang on to him with every fiber of our being.
yeah, he's okay i guess.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Just one quick thing: Sean Miller should retire in Tucson. We found the exact right replacement for Lute and we need to hang on to him with every fiber of our being.

As difficult as it was for CSM to leave Xavier, I really don't think he will ever leave. He does seem to get emotionally attached to schools.

Just don't let the new AD eat a sloppy hamburger in front of him.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I had a dream last night about ESPN breaking a story about Miller/Arizona paying parents to snag commitments. Basically, it was alleged that several players' (I wont name them :lol: ) parents setup shell corporations and Arizona would send a "donation" to said corporation. The companies had ridiculous names, the only one I remember was called SweatPea Flowers, LLC, but the names matched the parents' personality/appearance/geographic location, etc. I was crushed in my dream and coincidentally, ESPN was at the sports bar I was at where I saw the story break moments earlier. They somehow knew I was an Arizona fan and interviewed me, and I want on a long rant about how it was a bullshit story and how Miller does things the right way. I guess pointing out that Zeus' parents lived in Maine (wrongfully) and had only been to one game was my compelling evidence against the allegations, and they cut off the interview after I blurted out, "Or are you going to tell me that they had a f-cking shell corporation called LobstersRus?"
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller better get this starting lineup right. Only 23 point favorites at the moment.

Utah, minus 2!