Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

splitsecond

Re: Sean Miller

Post by splitsecond »

TJ is right you know. We must have Millers back. Even if he made some mistakes everything he does has been to make his guys better men. There isn’t even a question about that.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

PHXCATS wrote:
CatHoops wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The FBI has 3000 hours if phone calls. That is equal go what the average American works in a year and a half. I know agents are always on the phone but that seems like it would be longer than Feb 2017 to Sep 2017
Not really all that much when it's all the people arrested and whoever they spoke to

Sorry I was not clear here. If it is just Dawkins or Dawkins and Andy Miller I feel like it has to go back beyond Feb 2017. If there are 3 or so more people tapped then Feb 2017 to Sep 2017 getting 3000 hours in that frame makes sense. If it is 5 or so people then I feel more comfortable
My daughter told me that when they write a wiretap it usually covers ALL phones in possession of the target, meaning 8-10 lines on average (per person), she said hers usually never go more than the 10 days have hundreds of hours of stuff they have to wade through its tedious and often the last resort.

We also need to remember that there is a generic term being thrown out here that needs context, as I understand it there is a cooperating witness working with the FBI since at least 2015, when you have a cooperating witness you can get their permission to tap their phone without a warrant, but they still call it a "wiretap" so thousands of hours of wiretaps could be Dawkins phone and the cooperating witnesses phone as well...its a blanket term in the investigation.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

These guys have fucked with the wrong fan base...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:From the SI article...finally some logic

"The ESPN report states that Dawkins asked Miller if he should deal with Richardson (who had been on his staff for 10 years, dating back to their time at Xavier) to finalize a financial agreement for Ayton, and that Miller asked to be dealt with directly. That Miller would want to handle the payment by himself in the highest-profile recruitment of his career is somewhat bewildering. Presumably, a conversation took place, but this is simply a piece of it. Though it may not matter in the court of opinion, there are elements that don’t make total sense...."
It is also odd to me that if the wiretap is what ESPN represented, it wasn't included in the FBI complaint. It is very much within the scope of the conspiracy if it's accurate and it was known to the FBI well before the complaint.

Maybe this is all homerism, and I still think the scandal of the intial article likely ends Miller's career, but at the very least, I'd want to hear the actual wire. I'd also thought it was weird that the ESPN article used the soft "discussed" instead of offered, agreed or language that clearly meant there was a deal.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

"The ESPN report states that Dawkins asked Miller if he should deal with Richardson (who had been on his staff for 10 years, dating back to their time at Xavier) to finalize a financial agreement for Ayton, and that Miller asked to be dealt with directly. That Miller would want to handle the payment by himself in the highest-profile recruitment of his career is somewhat bewildering. Presumably, a conversation took place, but this is simply a piece of it. Though it may not matter in the court of opinion, there are elements that don’t make total sense...."
It is also odd to me that if the wiretap is what ESPN represented, it wasn't included in the FBI complaint. It is very much within the scope of the conspiracy if it's accurate and it was known to the FBI well before the complaint.

Maybe this is all homerism, and I still think the scandal of the intial article likely ends Miller's career, but at the very least, I'd want to hear the actual wire. I'd also thought it was weird that the ESPN article used the soft "discussed" instead of offered, agreed or language that clearly meant there was a deal.

I share the same sentiment. I find it rather intrusive that ESPN was quick to presume based off of the wording "discussed.."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

EastCoastCat wrote:These guys have fucked with the wrong fan base...
What was the quote again about Scott messing with the loudest most passionate fan base?

I want that as my sig again. Gotta take out the bilias trash below.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Did ESPN just change the correction again? It just says 2016 now.

In a Feb. 24 SportsCenter talkback, ESPN used the wrong year in discussing the timeline in a story about telephone conversations between Arizona coach Sean Miller and Christian Dawkins, a key figure in the FBI's investigation into college basketball corruption. Sources told ESPN the call in question was made in 2016.

EDIT: They did

Spring of 2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20180226075 ... orrections" target="_blank

2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20180226161 ... orrections" target="_blank
Last edited by azcat34 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
What was the quote again about Scott messing with the loudest most passionate fan base?

You mean my sig?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I get that it seems like Miller is dirty because of the supposaded content of the wiretap, but there is a high probability that that recording never see's the light of day by any legitimate sources, it is in a sealed court document.

So the NCAA (who will be the judge/jury/executioner here) will most likely have to interview Miller with lawyers present and hear the context of that phone call (if it really even happened) from him...it is not breaking the rules to DISCUSS paying players to come, it is only against the rules to do it...and so far there is absolutely no evidence that a required "second step" (ie: getting bank info etc.) happened if it did Miller would have been arrested with Book.

The fact that Ayton was questioned by the FBI, Pac12, NCAA, UA more than once indicates that there is some evidence somewhere that someone talked to someone else about paying him...but so far all of those questioning him have cleared him meaning he did not get paid.

The fact that the NCAA questioned him is impressive...they are in on some of this but that is probably because of Miller/UA compliance and not the FBI...

In other words Miller/UA have stayed ahead of the story WITH the NCAA which makes sense when Emmert said Miller coaching was up to the school...he apparently trusts the Uni's process enough...

I'm not so sure rumors are enough to take Miller down.

UNless the sealed documents become public info (a book deal years from now) it remains a rumor.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

At the very least they underestimated our intelligence level.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

So the real question that needs to be asked here is what connection does Dawkins (and his team) have with Ayton and his family?

Is there ANY link between Ayton and Dawkins, do they even know each other, is there any way Dawkins story has legs of proof?

Is there any connection between the high school Ayton was at, or summer leagues he played in with Dawkins?

Does Dawkins have ANY record of this level recruit for anyone else?
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

CatFanOneMil wrote:So the real question that needs to be asked here is what connection does Dawkins (and his team) have with Ayton and his family?

Is there ANY link between Ayton and Dawkins, do they even know each other, is there any way Dawkins story has legs of proof?

Is there any connection between the high school Ayton was at, or summer leagues he played in with Dawkins?

Does Dawkins have ANY record of this level recruit for anyone else?
He was working jim gatto with adidas to get 100k for Bowen. The more I read about this guy I think he was hustling people with his connections to benefit for himself
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can’t say thanks enough to the many posters who’ve patiently and meticulously sifted through these documents and the many articles written the past few days.

It’s been inspiring to follow.

Looking at the calendar, though, it’s hard to ignore how fast this current season is expiring. It sounds like Miller’s predicament could extend into the summer, while Romar remains interim coach. That just seems more likely than there being a hasty decision to reinstate Miller.

My hope is that Trier gets cleared this week. I think having our roster fully intact will invigorate the team and get us even hungrier to tear through the tournament.

Of course I hope Sean gets to be part of it. He built this team and deserves to lead it. I’m just skeptical the timing is gonna work out for him. If keeping him out increases the chances that he remains our coach, I’m all for it. Don’t want to see Miller go.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat34 wrote:
Did ESPN just change the correction again? It just says 2016 now.

In a Feb. 24 SportsCenter talkback, ESPN used the wrong year in discussing the timeline in a story about telephone conversations between Arizona coach Sean Miller and Christian Dawkins, a key figure in the FBI's investigation into college basketball corruption. Sources told ESPN the call in question was made in 2016.

EDIT: They did

Spring of 2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20180226075 ... orrections" target="_blank

2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20180226161 ... orrections" target="_blank
Good lord, incompetent fuck sticks
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So the correction was corrected.

We need to keep on the media to keep digging.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

You mean my sig?
Yeah, just change the first part of it to read "In all of college basketball, ESPN..."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

You mean my sig?
Ah yes, thanks chi, mind if I gravy train?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I share the same sentiment. I find it rather intrusive that ESPN was quick to presume based off of the wording "discussed.."
Maybe I'm being hypertechnical, but "discussed" could mean:

-Discussed that was supposed to be the going rate for Ayton's commitment.
-Discussed getting 100k for Ayton, and the deal fell apart for some reason.
-Discussed it in terms of a demand from the Ayton camp that Miller didn't abide by.

At the least, the close of coming to Miller directly for any more money stuff implies that whatever happened in the conversation wasn't a deal. Without the actual conversation, it's mushy enough to be sensational while leaving a lot of interpretations open.

It's very interesting to me that Ayton is cleared as well. If there's an indicator about whether Arizona thinks there's proof on the back end of actual money transfer, that's it.

Finally, the FBI complaint had plenty of wiretap chats about deals between ASM personnel and coaches. They clearly had this conversation well before the complaint, but did not include it. Why?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

You mean my sig?
Ah yes, thanks chi, mind if I gravy train?
Be my guest.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:ESPN= Fox News
FIFY.
Neither of these (CNN nor Fox News). Both of those networks allow their "news show" anchor staffs to go on the air and say what they want, but neither break stories in print that haven't undergone rigorous editorial management. ESPN is a sports network. There's a reason why the leaker went to ESPN and not an actual news outlet. That's how you get this story through the cracks and bust everything open.

Fake news is news that appears to come from the media, but doesn't. Donald Trump uses the term for material published by the media that he doesn't want his supporters to believe, and so they believe him instead of the media, and thereby buy into a coordinated, widespread conspiracy involving editorial managers and journalists everywhere who seek to lie rather than considering that Trump is seeking to protect himself.

ESPN isn't fake news by either definition. They're simply a sports network covering sports. They don't have to be committed to the standards of journalism as practiced in the general news media. That's why this is happening.
Last edited by Longhorned on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anyone getting any work done today?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatHoops wrote:Mark Schlabach hasn't been on social media for about 14hrs not normal.. Do you think some"important" people were wanting some info on where this is coming from?

At this point he better lawyer up and STFU on Twitter.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone getting any work done today?
VERY little. So much refreshing...lol.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not a chance. Just did the RAP scoring for the Oregon trip instead.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

-Discussed it in terms of a demand from the Ayton camp that Miller didn't abide by.

At the least, the close of coming to Miller directly for any more money stuff implies that whatever happened in the conversation wasn't a deal. Without the actual conversation, it's mushy enough to be sensational while leaving a lot of interpretations open.

It's very interesting to me that Ayton is cleared as well. If there's an indicator about whether Arizona thinks there's proof on the back end of actual money transfer, that's it.

Finally, the FBI complaint had plenty of wiretap chats about deals between ASM personnel and coaches. They clearly had this conversation well before the complaint, but did not include it. Why?
Or most likely Dawkins offering that money to Miller to get Ayton to hire Dawkins. If that's the case and taken into consideration that Schlabach never heard the wiretap or read a transcript, and was only told of what it was.

Miller/Dawkins did have conversations discussing $100k to help secure Ayton. It's just completely different.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

I honestly think Miller will be seen in 10 years as the martyr who brought the whole damned thing down. First domino of many.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So just took a gander at the comments section to schlabachs twitter feed. (He hasn’t posted in 15hrs)

When you have asu fans defending uofa and calling out your journalism, wow you really stepped in it! :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

btfd16 wrote:I honestly think Miller will be seen in 10 years as the martyr who brought the whole damned thing down. First domino of many.
If so he’ll need a statue and a name in the ring of honor regardless of record.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gonna have to. Heading to office soon. Here’s hoping for good news today.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Or most likely Dawkins offering that money to Miller to get Ayton to hire Dawkins. If that's the case and taken into consideration that Schlabach never heard the wiretap or read a transcript, and was only told of what it was.

Miller/Dawkins did have conversations discussing $100k to help secure Ayton. It's just completely different.
This is what I’m coming around too as well...hence the word “vindicated”
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah I refresh read new posts refresh again if nothing, power through admin stuff for a minute or two, refresh again. Lol
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I haven't posted much during this shit show but I've been glued to the board more than ever before. Great to see a lot of awesome insight/teamwork/analysis from lots of posters new, current and from the way back machine. Thanks everyone.
Junior

Post by Junior »

scumdevils86 wrote:I haven't posted much during this shit show but I've been glued to the board more than ever before. Great to see a lot of awesome insight/teamwork/analysis from lots of posters new, current and from the way back machine. Thanks everyone.
I hardly post but this cannot be stated enough. I have been useless since the news dropped and have been glued to the board also. Thanks to all the posters for all of the insight and knowledge. Bear Down baby!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I know we have had lots of difference in the past but I think we are totally united for now on this.

Also I said this in another thread but if there is one person in the media that will take ESPN to task for this, it is Clay Travis. Send him your tweets.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I don't know. This would mean ESPN got the context dead wrong, bc their article says the 100k was for Ayton't college commitment.

That said, it's a context that fits what Dawkins was doing.

If anything, I think it points out the importance of hard evidence, not supposition. Compare our situation Louisville. Pitino was nailed in the complaint, Louisville suspended him the next day and converted into a firing. Arizona's handling of Miller and Ayton has been noticeably different than Louisville's treatment of Pitino and Bowen. Is there a reason?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Difference with Pitino could be that he had a long track record of shady shit. Miller is the exact opposite.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It would not be surprising to have ESPN get the purpose of the payment incorrect.

Maybe they’d like to issue a third correction.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Spaceman always asking the thought provoking questions. Greatly appreciate your contributions my friend
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What would be nice is if the NBA would sanction these types of agents/advisors if they are caught doing this stuff with the kids.
I know it won't happen.

Second, if the stuff that came out with the Book arrest: that these agent/runner guys have access to practice and other team functions, then that should end.
I thought ended that stuff after the Terry issue.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

I have been lurking for a few weeks now and my general sense watching this team, the pulse in Tucson, etc. - the lid was about to blow off. I was very impressed with the effort on Saturday night, just not enough depth without Zo and Ira.

Aside from the serious nature of the allegations against Sean Miller, this is an extremely difficult slope for the AD, President and Board of Regents. I'm wondering why they seem to be on their heels given the Book arrest happened five months ago. For risk/program management purposes, they should have contingency plans in place and I know their hands are tied due to the legal ramifications. I keep coming back to this tweet...
I just can't fathom CSM would get fooled by a 24 year old agent runner. This guy is also worth a follow, he thinks things are not adding up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Difference with Pitino could be that he had a long track record of shady shit. Miller is the exact opposite.
Yeah, but he was a national championship winner and rebuilt their program. He was not on the hot seat before this, even though they'd already self-sanctioned for the prostitution.

I don't think they pull the trigger unless they believed it would stick. Plus, there's Bowen. He was immediately held out, unlike Ayton.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

So, trying to get a grasp on this, with so much passionate discussion and advocacy here, and NOT wanting to prejudge anything, here's what i (think) I know:

ESPN reported allegation that wiretaps have CSM discussing payment to Atyon (family) with Dawkins. Source not disclosed.

No actual payment has been alleged anywhere - many have, on their own (e.g., some E$SPN commentators), concluded a payment was made.

The alleged discussion, absent evidence of payment, would constitute a serious NCAA violation, but not a crime.

Ayton family lawyers strongly disagree that ANY payment or other inducement was made/received.

Arizona external legal counsel (Kelly) states that Ayton and his family have fully cooperated and that there is no evidence whatsoever of any payment or other impermissible inducement. Ayton continues to be fully cleared to play.

CSM has indicated that he fully expects to be "vindicated". However, he does not specifically deny anything alleged in the article.

The Uof A and CSM "mutually agree" that he would not be on the sideline for the Oregon game. Nothing whatsover has been communicated by either source as to anything beyond that game - if/when he would resume coaching duties was not in any way addressed.

The U of A Board of Regents met with legal counsel in emergency session over the weekend to get fully informed, and said they expected to have further emergency sessions this week and the situation unfolds.

What have I missed or left out here - I'm not interested in speculation of who likes or dislikes CSM or any advocacy - he's the coach, I've always supported him, but I'm seriously distressed by everything that's happened since Friday's ESPN article.

So, I have no idea what CSM's status is today? Does anyone? Has there been any reporting of FACTS on this? When is the next practice?

I am doing my best to just look at the facts "on the ground", and try to understand what is actually happening with CSM and the basketball program. I'd appreciate any information.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
cpt

Post by cpt »

PHXCATS wrote:I know we have had lots of difference in the past but I think we are totally united for now on this.

Also I said this in another thread but if there is one person in the media that will take ESPN to task for this, it is Clay Travis. Send him your tweets.
I would include Bill Simmons too. He hates ESPN for good reason.
cpt

Post by cpt »

He's also tight with RJ and Kerr so I would expect him to be sympathetic.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Clay Travis is a shit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:Spaceman always asking the thought provoking questions. Greatly appreciate your contributions my friend
Thank you.

Here's one last question provoked by Iggy:

The FBI was obviously not shy in charging coaches who participated in conspiracies to land players. They have the wire of Miller, yet don't charge him (like Book) or even identify the incident in the complaint.

It's not like you'd think the FBI would cover for Miller. So if he isn't included, and the incident isn't either, what was the reason? On its face, you'd assume (like Iguodala) that Miller would have been in cuffs if this were true, or at the very least, tied to the consipracy even if not charged.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

If i know coach Miller based on ex players reaction he's def. Addressed the team and will be at practice as long as he's not meeting with council on the report. If he's busy with that bs romar will lead practices
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

SabinoDrifter wrote:Clay Travis is a shit.
He might be, but is one that will take ESPN to task for this and destroy them and he has a large audience.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It’s happening folks, this is really happening