UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

KaibabKat wrote:Considering career accomplishments for Alford vs. Cronin it is Tweedle Dee vs. Tweedle Dum. Between them they have been at it for 40 years at the D1 level with not as much as one Elite Eight to show for it.
Cincy isn't necessarily a great job, but he took a program on the downslope and built it back to 9 straight tourney appearances. His biggest issue was that they consistently lacked big time talent. It's hard to make a really deep run without big time talent.

If he can blend the system that got him that consistency at Cincy with the recruits he can get at UCLA, he'll be dangerous.

A good comparison to Cincy is Iowa. Alford ended his tenure there making ths tourney 2 of 5 years. I think Cronin has been more impressive to date.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Cincy had made 14 of 15 tourneys before Cronin go there, not really sure how that is a team on a downslope. I am sure whoever is next at Cincy will be successful due to the foundation that has been built there, I can not say the same about UCLA.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Mick Cronin’s contract contains a reciprocal $19 million buyout for both sides until March 31, 2020. It goes down to $15.4 million in Year 2, $8.775 million in Year 3, $5.925 million in Year 4 and $3 million in Year 6.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

gronk4heisman wrote:Cincy had made 14 of 15 tourneys before Cronin go there, not really sure how that is a team on a downslope. I am sure whoever is next at Cincy will be successful due to the foundation that has been built there, I can not say the same about UCLA.
His first year, he had one scholarship player returning. Here is some info on it
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincin ... 2610349002" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

MrBug708 wrote:I'm happy that Cronin seems like a generally well respected and good guy.
He's generally regarded as an asshole.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:Cincy had made 14 of 15 tourneys before Cronin go there, not really sure how that is a team on a downslope. I am sure whoever is next at Cincy will be successful due to the foundation that has been built there, I can not say the same about UCLA.
Their roster was a disaster and Kennedy had them on a downswing. Look at their 2006-07 roster. The only recognizable name is Connor Barwin, and he isn't recognizable for basketball.

Kennedy had the program leaking after Huggy Bear.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Considering career accomplishments for Alford vs. Cronin it is Tweedle Dee vs. Tweedle Dum. Between them they have been at it for 40 years at the D1 level with not as much as one Elite Eight to show for it.
Cincy isn't necessarily a great job, but he took a program on the downslope and built it back to 9 straight tourney appearances. His biggest issue was that they consistently lacked big time talent. It's hard to make a really deep run without big time talent.

If he can blend the system that got him that consistency at Cincy with the recruits he can get at UCLA, he'll be dangerous.

A good comparison to Cincy is Iowa. Alford ended his tenure there making ths tourney 2 of 5 years. I think Cronin has been more impressive to date.
Iowa is in the B1G, Cincy is in the AAC. Not a good comparison.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

At this point it seems like we are undertaking an effort to paint this as a “bad” hire as opposed to what it really is.... a middling and uninspiring hire.

My question is why...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Is this giving Cronin just a wee bit too much credit? Though Cincy didn't have the talent of nearby UK, Louisville, and even Ohio State, didn't they always have more talent than about 75% of their schedule Vs the likes of South Florida, SMU, and Memphis? Cincy went against lesser competition to amass the wins totals that got them into the tourny before always breaking (usually in round of 32) Vs teams with equivalent or more talent/depth.

By comparison look at nearby Xavier with generally less talent, and though not as consistently in the tournament, they made the most of it when they qualified, going to how many more S16s & EEs during Cronin's tenure? In other words, if Cronin's recruiting expectedly improves, his ceiling only increases to level of bettered recruiting, which still won't amount to solving his tournament exits if he ends up squaring off against the same programs that out coached Cincy in the Round of 32 every year. That to me points to a measure of coaching deficiency that Cronin is bringing to the UCLA job.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:I'm happy that Cronin seems like a generally well respected and good guy.
He's generally regarded as an asshole.
Only people I've noticed with that opinion are Xavier fans, which is a rival. I dont base my opinion of Arizona on the thoughts of the Sun Devils.

Media and players love him, was my bigger point.

He also killed the press the conference
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'm not sure it's easier at a midlevel AAC school than a midlevel B1G school. At least Iowa can sell the B1G stage.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'm not sure it's easier at a midlevel AAC school than a midlevel B1G school. At least Iowa can sell the B1G stage.
Point is he's at the top of the AAC, while at Iowa he'd be at best midlevel like you said.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Is this giving Cronin just a wee bit too much credit? Though Cincy didn't have the talent of nearby UK, Louisville, and even Ohio State, didn't they always have more talent than about 75% of their schedule Vs the likes of South Florida, SMU, and Memphis? Cincy went against lesser competition to amass the wins totals that got them into the tourny before always breaking (usually in round of 32) Vs teams with equivalent or more talent/depth.

By comparison look at nearby Xavier with generally less talent, and though not as consistently in the tournament, they made the most of it when they qualified, going to how many more S16s & EEs during Cronin's tenure? In other words, if Cronin's recruiting expectedly improves, his ceiling only increases to level of bettered recruiting, which still won't amount to solving his tournament exits if he ends up squaring off against the same programs that out coached Cincy in the Round of 32 every year. That to me points to a measure of coaching deficiency that Cronin is bringing to the UCLA job.
Someone did some anaylsis on it and he struggles vs top 30 effecient offenses and when it came to the tournament, that was the offenses that consistently knocked him out. In each of the last few seasons, he usually drew the most efficient offense and why he struggles in the tournament.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

i'm really excited.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Point is he's at the top of the AAC, while at Iowa he'd be at best midlevel like you said.
I'm not sure Cincy is at the top of the AAC without a good coach.

UConn is easily the biggest name program. UCF, Houston, SMU, Temple and Memphis are in more fertile recruiting grounds. Wichita State has been really legit lately too.

Cincy is closer to the mushy middle in terms of the advantages of the job.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm not sure Cincy is at the top of the AAC without a good coach.

UConn is easily the biggest name program. UCF, Houston, SMU, Temple and Memphis are in more fertile recruiting grounds. Wichita State has been really legit lately too.

Cincy is closer to the mushy middle in terms of the advantages of the job.
During his tenure at Cincy he was always at the top whether due to those other schools disappointing (UCONN) or others were towards the top for a year or two only. During Cronin's tenure Cincy was the top of the conference. The guy literally never finished lower than 3rd in the American for a reason. As a program they haven't been bad since before Huggins, which was in the 80s man.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote: During his tenure at Cincy he was always at the top whether due to those other schools disappointing (UCONN) or others were towards the top for a year or two only. During Cronin's tenure Cincy was the top of the conference. The guy literally never finished lower than 3rd in the American for a reason. As a program they haven't been bad since before Huggins, which was in the 80s man.
Cronin's hire raises the floor of UCLA without necessarily raising the ceiling. No more Alford bottom-out seasons (2015-16) but the jury is out on how much better Cronin can do than Alford's three S16s.
Last edited by CatsbyAZ on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Speaking of Alford looks like he's the favorite to land the Nevada job lol.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: During his tenure at Cincy he was always at the top whether due to those other schools disappointing (UCONN) or others were towards the top for a year or two only. During Cronin's tenure Cincy was the top of the conference. The guy literally never finished lower than 3rd in the American for a reason. As a program they haven't been bad since before Huggins, which was in the 80s man.
Cronin's hire raises the floor of UCLA without necessarily raising the ceiling. No more Alford bottom-out seasons (2015-16) but the jury is out on how much better Cronin can do than Alford's three S16s.
Alford could never make the sweet 16 before UCLA. He made it without even trying at UCLA. Cronin is a grinder so I'm hoping the ability to sleepwalk into the Sweet 16 and Cronins eye for details can get him past the first game of the second weekend.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

So, basically, given what came before ...
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ucla should have either grown some balls and hired Pitino or hired Russ turner

Both are far better options then some nobody that you paying a shit load of money too
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Newportcat wrote:Ucla should have either grown some balls and hired Pitino or hired Russ turner

Both are far better options then some nobody that you paying a shit load of money too
Newport, even Nevada isn't even interested in your friend, sorry.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

MrBug708 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Ucla should have either grown some balls and hired Pitino or hired Russ turner

Most uclans would reject a young John Wooden right now - no media presence, bland personality, cheap wardrobe, etc.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Don't forget, too religious. But that is a ridiculous statement to make and not something that can be proven.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrBug708 wrote:Don't forget, too religious. But that is a ridiculous statement to make.

"I have always tried to make it clear that basketball is not the ultimate. It is of small importance in comparison to the total life we live. There is only one kind of life that truly wins, and that is the one that places faith in the hands of the Savior."
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What are you hearing on the roster, Bug? Who’s leaving/staying?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

No one else right now, though we have a couple of ideas who might grad transfer and Cronin made a quip about stealing in China, so Riley and Hill might be going.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Losing Riley *and* Hill would be rough.

I mean, expectations will have to be measured accordingly next year. If Cronin reaches the tourney, that’s a huge achievement, imo.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Riley is less value than Hill under Cronin. Brown and Hill would be wise to stay and learn to play defense
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I was wondering how many of the kids on the roster Cronin recruited but it looks like Cincy wasn't in serious contention for any of them. I thought maybe Smith, Campbell, & Wilkes just because of geography, but couldn't find any mention of them getting offers from Cronin.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Wilkes already declared before cronin was hired. Campbell is the only true PG on the roster. Smith is originally from Texas before a senior year transfer to WV.

The organizer of the UA West Coast Elite AAU program was at the press conference for Cronin. I'd imagine we will see UCLA dipping back into that well soon enough
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Smith is originally from Texas before a senior year transfer to WV.
I thought Smith was from Chicago.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Just born there, Smith played three years in Fort Worth before transferring
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Sounds like Moses Brown has some circumstances surrounding him which makes staying at UCLA next year difficult.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

MrBug708 wrote:Sounds like Moses Brown has some circumstances surrounding him which makes staying at UCLA next year difficult.
Circumstances??
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Like he's lazy on D and Cronin is the right height to punch him straight in the nuts if he doesn't make an effort?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote: The organizer of the UA West Coast Elite AAU program was at the press conference for Cronin. I'd imagine we will see UCLA dipping back into that well soon enough
Why weren't you before? Was Alford that god awful?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrBug708 wrote:

Yeah because Nevada is stupid and they are going to hire a major retread which is a mistake

Ucla could have hired pitino. As dirty as that would have felt, it would have been a far better hire
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:
Ucla could have hired pitino. As dirty as that would have felt, it would have been a far better hire
Really, though? Aside from the big name recognition and the short-lived media blitz, why is Pitino a better hire? He's got more baggage than almost any active coach.

Cronin wasn't their top choice, obviously. And it's silly to pretend otherwise. They wanted Calipari, Dixon and Barnes. And chances are, there were one or two others in the mix before all attention shifted to their backup plan to their backup plan to their backup plan.

But Cronin is at least as good as Alford, and he's probably going to give UCLA tougher, more disciplined teams.

It's not an A-level hire, but it's probably a B/B- level.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:But Cronin is at least as good as Alford, and he's probably going to give UCLA tougher, more disciplined teams.

Let’s say wiretaps were published in January and Sean Miller is on tape talking about money for recruits so UA goes ahead and fires him mid-season....

If here we were in mid-April and Mick Cronin was our coach, would you be happy?

Personally, I’d be less than thrilled, but I’d also be pleading patience. Overall, I’d give the hire a C-.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:If here we were in mid-April and Mick Cronin was our coach, would you be happy?

Personally, I’d be less than thrilled, but I’d also be pleading patience. Overall, I’d give the hire a C-.
I'd be underwhelmed but not freaked out. Keep in mind though, Chi, that I think I have a different assessment of where AZ is, as a program, and where UCLA is. I think AZ is currently positioned to draw/hire a better coach than UCLA is. Many here would disagree.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote: The organizer of the UA West Coast Elite AAU program was at the press conference for Cronin. I'd imagine we will see UCLA dipping back into that well soon enough
Why weren't you before? Was Alford that god awful?
Alford can't do much for a prospects future goals,so why waste the time playing for him
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Really, though? Aside from the big name recognition and the short-lived media blitz, why is Pitino a better hire? He's got more baggage than almost any active coach.

Cronin wasn't their top choice, obviously. And it's silly to pretend otherwise. They wanted Calipari, Dixon and Barnes. And chances are, there were one or two others in the mix before all attention shifted to their backup plan to their backup plan to their backup plan.

But Cronin is at least as good as Alford, and he's probably going to give UCLA tougher, more disciplined teams.

Why is Pitino better then Cronin....seriously

Look Pitino is a massive piece of shit. But he is a great college basketball coach. Maybe Top 15 or even 10 of all time. He would be big name in LA and he would be an awesome recruiter. Now, could he drive massive sanctions into the program sure but he is like Coach Cal to me, you put up with it.

If Miller was not at Arizona, Pitino would be my first choice by far to take over. I would feel dirty as shit with him as our coach but I want to make a Final Four so badly I would get over it. The guy has won everywhere in College

Candidly though, I am not sure Pitino is any more dirty then any other major coach out there, he just got caught
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:But Cronin is at least as good as Alford, and he's probably going to give UCLA tougher, more disciplined teams.

Let’s say wiretaps were published in January and Sean Miller is on tape talking about money for recruits so UA goes ahead and fires him mid-season....

I would fucking hate this hire and I am never patience as you well know Chi. Thankfully, we would never hire him or someone this underwhelming
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Cincinnati AHC, Darren Savino, will join Cronin at UCLA
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I would fucking hate this hire and I am never patience as you well know Chi. Thankfully, we would never hire him or someone this underwhelming
Tim Floyd.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

NYCat wrote:
Is that a legitimate quote? I cannot imagine Barnes would publicly admit that he actually wanted the UCLA job. Typically, these coaches who have flirted with other jobs always say they had no intention of leaving, etc.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Come on, Tennessee. UCLA isn’t what it used to be, but it’s still a better job.

Pretty funny.