UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by MrBug708 »

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and spits like a duck, it probably is. I doubt you see an official comment because of the injury. "Mac has been suspended for the rest of the year" looks like they are using the injury as a way to avoid him missing time. My guess is they are quietly letting it disappear from the news cycle, let him stay home during road trips, and let him act as a regular student for home games. Nothing can really be done, especially before the hearing date, which would coincide during the Final Four. If he was healthy, I suspect you would have seen an official suspension notice because he would have missed games. It would just look hollow. My guess is he will be suspended to start the year. But personally, I dont think he comes back. He's going to be third on the depth chart again next season. He could stick around, but that's a long time for a kid to wait his turn, especially when rated that high.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So you are saying they haven't announced a suspension.

You can just say that. It's ok.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Was I not clear? He's suspended, they just haven't told the Arizona fans via press release yet. You are unlikely to hear an official announcement until after legal proceedings.

The last time an Arizona student was spat on, the player in question played the rest of the season before he was suspended for the first game of the year.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Thanks Bug. That’s what I thought.

So basically the school/program/AD did nothing except for Mic’s worthless, conciliatory statement.

Apropos you used the “duck” analogy since that’s basically how UCLA handled it…
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s really bad optics not to suspend him indefinitely. Even if that suspension is lifted when he’s back from his injury, you don’t just do nothing. It tells everyone that UCLA basketball players are immune from consequences unless local authorities get involved.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bug… I understand exactly what you are saying…. You are interpreting what UCLA is doing as a suspension. Maybe you are right. But I was just asking if they actually announced a suspension? Not what you are interpreting

Arizona has had its share of student suspensions. I have no doubt of this because they have actually announced these suspensions
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:04 am In another crazy stat, Peyton Watson has scored 3 points on the road, the entire season. Ouch.
I'm good with not going after 5*s that aren't ranked top 3-5 (which always go to Duke or Kentucky), unless there's an actual positional need.

They're almost always not instant impact players or someone who can carry you or can't grasp the concepts in 6 months they're here or who is already maximized as a player coming in.

Only time they pay off is if they're a multi-year player (ie: Trier)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA has two guys coming in next season who are 5*'s. Both look 1 and done, which is going to be awkward with who will likely come back for the Bruins. I think the signs with Watson were there. He's going to be a good glue player, but those take time to get paid in the NBA, they have to fight and work for it all. I think coming back for year two would be really good for him, I expect Juzang to go, though his lack of shooting is hurting him.

Adem Bona looks explosive, so he'll play with Myles. Amari Bailey isnt coming here to not start, but Tyger isnt getting benched. Strange roster management is in store. First major issue for Mick, with regards to managing high end talent.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Mac Etienne is not out with the team before the game.

Tyger Campbell is suspended for tonight's game for violation of team rules. Safe assumption is weed since he is out on the court before the game.

No posts for a few days, but someone left the door open and RC97 wandered in a randomly neg repped me...haha
Last edited by MrBug708 on Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:52 pm Mac Etienne is not out with the team before the game.

Tyger Campbell is suspended for tonight's game for violation of team rules.

No posts for a few days, but someone left the door open and RC97 wandered in a randomly neg repped me...haha
Pardon me for hoping that this is where it all falls apart for Mick Cronin.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Tyger smokes weed?

Highly unlikely…
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:11 pm Tyger smokes weed?

Highly unlikely…
Hmmm...

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

But isn’t it legal?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Been out camping. Looks like UCLA did well without Tyger. Glad to see Clark starting to come into his own. The injuries forced Mick to have a longer leash. Not exactly a gauntlet of powerhouses, but just need to get the team to continue geling.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:51 pm But isn’t it legal?

It's actually illegal on any campus that accepts federal funds such as Pell grants.

The NCAA also bans weed if detected in random drug tests.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

With all of their missing pieces UCLA actually has been playing better. Weird.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:18 am With all of their missing pieces UCLA actually has been playing better. Weird.
I think they've been forced to play their athletic pieces more, which fits Cronin's style better.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA randomly drug testing Jaylen Clark Image
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm guessing it's only a spit test
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Jules Bernard has been particularly bad of late

The whole team has been hot garbage
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If this Bracket prediction is correct maybe Mick can give us some pointers since they are so familiar
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Keeping UCLA in the West would be fortunate, though the Zags aren't exactly a good reward. I'd imagine you'd see Texas and UCLA flipped in this instance.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA is struggling, Arizona is ranked highly, and RC97 is going back to 2014 to find posts to give out some neg rep. What a time to be alive!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

MrBug708 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:30 pm UCLA is struggling, Arizona is ranked highly, and RC97 is going back to 2014 to find posts to give out some neg rep. What a time to be alive!
UCLA may be struggling but I’m not sure I want to run into you guys again in the P12 Tourney…..although it seems likely at this point. Would be a really exciting 3rd matchup / tiebreaker for this year though.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

No Juzang today vs OSU

And in honor of the 150 individual posts neg repped over the last couple of days (shout-out to the commitment RC!), I present the latest UCLA self-troll job!

Image[/url]
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:16 pm
UCLA may be struggling but I’m not sure I want to run into you guys again in the P12 Tourney…..although it seems likely at this point. Would be a really exciting 3rd matchup / tiebreaker for this year though.
I'm not sure we have the health/horses to win games in 3 straight days. Two guys out for the year, another 2 hobbling and really won't be healed until the end of the season. 1 and done in the PAC-12 tournament is probably ideal for a deeper run in the NCAA's
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Man, Oregon State is so bad. 21-0 run over just five minutes. UCLA is about to shoot FT's no less
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I wrote new words for the UCLA fight song:

They're the stinkiest of programs,
They're the stinkiest of nerds,
It's a stink that stinks so bad it's smelled, seen, felt and heard
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Even though Cronin lost the Arizona streak, glad he was able to end the USC streak
Bangkok Wildcat

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:16 pm Even though Cronin lost the Arizona streak, glad he was able to end the USC streak
Congrats on the win Bug. What’s your expectation / prediction for the P12 tourney? Hope we meet up again for the tie-breaker!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Rest is more important than seeding at this point. Would rather lose in the first than to lose to USC or Arizona a second time. As for how we perform, no idea but we don't have the depth/health to win three in three days
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Hopefully Jules Bernard finally found his shot. Mick Cronin's first PAC-12 tournament win. Who knew he'd get to the Final Four before that happened!
Bangkok Wildcat

All right Bug….time for you to take care of business so that we can do our tiebreaker.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Good luck tonight. Would be a good time for UCLA id Juzang can find his shot again
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:58 am Good luck tonight. Would be a good time for UCLA id Juzang can find his shot again
I hope your entire team comes down with a very aggressive case of pubic lice and has to forfeit.

3 games in 3 days is a recipe for going into the Tournament injured and tired.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Oh and congrats in advance Bug for your team shooting way above their season average.

We come to expect it now.
Bangkok Wildcat

So the stat from the Championship Game that stood out to me was that UCLA was 19-0 when scoring >35 points at the half……Now it’s 19-1 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Now that our mastery of the P12 is no longer in doubt this year, good luck in the NCAAs Bug! Let’s show these East Coast Sports Writers how good the P12 can be. 8-)
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Jaime is really fucking good.

Great game... glad there was no spitting
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Let's admit the obvious: UCLA is good.

WE'RE FUCKING BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Good game guys! Couldn't watch the game but sounds like I missed a battle.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Let's put it this way Bug: It was a gut-wrenching blur and there's not nearly enough wine left in my house to help me settle down enough to sleep.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bangkok Wildcat

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:16 pm Let's put it this way Bug: It was a gut-wrenching blur and there's not nearly enough wine left in my house to help me settle down enough to sleep.
Yep, I’m lucky it’s afternoon here…can’t imagine trying to get some sleep after this epic battle! Good luck with the sleep tonight.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If only LA was closer to Vegas than Tucson...

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCatInTheHat

On Cronin & The LA Media Bubble

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

UCLA got their man in Cincinnati's Mick Cronin. Hard to say where to rank him as a coach. UCLA recruits itself, so that aspect is almost negligible there. Not sure how well the Napoleon martinet routine will play over time with their self-absorbed stars. While he was spitting and screaming on the sidelines yesterday, more than one player seemed to almost roll their eyes at him as they were walking away. Meanwhile, the LA sports media is what it is. Their teams and fans are the heroes, therefore everybody else has to be the villains in their screenplay. So we've got this rookie coach out of central casting who's an instant success with an approachable, unselfish group of players who play an exciting brand of ball. And our fans support them. UCLA is immediately relegated to something other than what somebody evidently considers their proper place at the top. And UCLA fans and media wish they could have what we've got, but they could never admit that. So when the oh-so-entitled Tyger (ugh) Campbell, from a private prep school in Indiana, tackles one of our players at McKale, and our student section razzes him with "F-U, Tyger" the rest of the game, Times beat writer Ben Bolch melted down. You could almost see the tears running down his face as he said something like "But Tyger's nice. We're the nice guys!" Followed by the Sarah Bernhardt faux outrage in print. Over a student section that made a thin-skinned reporter temporarily feel less superior. Bolch really wanted revenge against the Kriisa-less Wildcats in Vegas, and he thought he had it...before the roof fell in. Rejected! So our aging fan base "taunted" UCLA's hot-shot players, who made plenty of gestures at them. And we have an unfair advantage for actually having...fans. I root for Arizona, not the Pac-12, so here's hoping they get shipped someplace really cold in an eastern time zone and get an oh-fer the tournament. It won't happen, but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it did.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Watched Mic’s presser. He’s a bit of a dick.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:02 am Watched Mic’s presser. He’s a bit of a dick.
Just the tip.

~ Wilhoit's Law
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh that is just beautiful. Going to have to find a good reason to put it on Twitter.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hehehehehehehe

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bangkok Wildcat

IrishAzCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:31 pm Image
Damn Irish…you keep raising the bar! Nice….:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)