UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble?

Post by Chicat »

I take it back. An hour of watching Bryce Alford and I definitely want Utah to come back and win this game. That guy is the douchiest douche who ever douched.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:I take it back. An hour of watching Bryce Alford and I definitely want Utah to come back and win this game. That guy is the douchiest douche who ever douched.
And he's kryptonite to UCLA's recruiting, so you gotta love him.

Heh.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

On a side note: The Alfords have the worst father-son hair combo in the nation.

It's always sad when the youth goes bald before the elder. Although it's less sad when the youth is Bryce Alford.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Just is sad watching ucla home games. Hosting the #11 team and the arena is half empty and the arena is lifeless
But if this was Arizona...

Was interested to see if opposing fans would show up for Utah like they do Arizona. Guess Utah doesn't have anywhere near the brand Az does, though their asshat fans seem to think so.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Just is sad watching ucla home games. Hosting the #11 team and the arena is half empty and the arena is lifeless
So true ASUHATER, It's embarassing for the Pac12 that our most storied program has such an apathetic fanbase! You see all these cool arenas throughout the country rocking with great crowds (obviously, we are amongst the top of them) and then UCLA on national tv with a pathetic showing in stark contrast....

Maybe they should move from Pauley and into a smaller venue? Pathetic.......you would think that a good AD could come up with a strategy to address this, or at least improve it, but their AD is the guy who hired Alford, lol.

Seriously though, at least Zimmerman's Mom will be able to have lots of extra tickets to bring friends and/or stretch out for a nap while they are losing. :D
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

I went to the game today and I was shocked at how empty it was... I arrived at tip off and ended up in the student section in the 2nd row. I've never seen anything like it:

Chicat wrote:I take it back. An hour of watching Bryce Alford and I definitely want Utah to come back and win this game. That guy is the douchiest douche who ever douched.
My favorite play of the game was when Alford hit a shot, got back on defense, slapped the floor and yelled "come on" at the Utah player, who promptly drove right past him and Alford fouled him. :lol:
Last edited by UofACat23 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:

Heh.
Lol, Beachcat97, I think you've reached your 'douche' quota ;-)......speaking of recruiting, they are saying they should have a class of 5 for 2015.....they have two commits as of now. They are hinting on their boards that they expect Jaylen Brown and Zimmerman too.......hmmmmm???

I just can't belive that too many studs would want to play for Alford....but then again, UCLA under any coach, will still get its share of studs.......We need to be enjoying the fact that they can't seem to get their Coaching act together yet IMO.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

UofACat23 wrote:I went to the game today and I was shocked at how empty it was... I arrived at tip off and ended up in the student section in the 2nd row. I've never seen anything like it:

My favorite play of the game was when Alford hit a shot, got back on defense, slapped the floor and yelled "come on" at the Utah player, who promptly drove right past him and Alford fouled him. :lol:
:oops: :shock:
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

i'd be shocked if Zimmerman went to ucla. It will be Kansas I suspect, Addidas...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UofACat23 wrote:I went to the game today and I was shocked at how empty it was... I arrived at tip off and ended up in the student section in the 2nd row. I've never seen anything like it:

We need to bring back the rolling laughter emoticon for this post. Great stuff.

At this point, I think Greg Hicks would be leading the posse to bring back Steve Lavin.

Hell, if it was between Alford and Larry Farmer at UCLA, I'd have to think it over.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

They should have hired Tony Bennett before he went to Virginia.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CBCat wrote:They should have hired Tony Bennett before he went to Virginia.
Pretty sure he'll be high on their list when patience with the Alfords has expired.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Pretty sure he'll be high on their list when patience with the Alfords has expired.
Which alum is shelling out for the 15M buyout?
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Heh.
Lol, Beachcat97, I think you've reached your 'douche' quota ;-)......speaking of recruiting, they are saying they should have a class of 5 for 2015.....they have two commits as of now. They are hinting on their boards that they expect Jaylen Brown and Zimmerman too.......hmmmmm???

I just can't belive that too many studs would want to play for Alford....but then again, UCLA under any coach, will still get its share of studs.......We need to be enjoying the fact that they can't seem to get their Coaching act together yet IMO.
It is just a pit stop to them and with the Adidas signing bonus it is an attractive location. Although UCLA fans thought they had Bragg and still think Ingram is coming.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat34 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Which alum is shelling out for the 15M buyout?
Exactly. Which is why he's not going anywhere. It's good news for us because Miller is a better coach and recruiter than Alford, so we can look forward to more years of sustained superiority over UCLA. Next year could be a tough storm to weather if Alford manages to land Brown and Zimmerman; their frontcourt could be better than ours. But these one and dones (Looney, Brown) and none and dones (Bolden) aren't going to make too great an impact. At the end of the day, they're still stuck with Bryce Alford as their point guard for the foreseeable future. That's not a guy you want running an offense.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Who here thinks ucla would have been better off hiring Wayne Tinkle?
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

CBCat wrote:Who here thinks ucla would have been better off hiring Wayne Tinkle?
Not I, and Tinkle wouldn't be so stupid to take that job. You think the fan base and community would get behind Tinkle from day 1?

F no!

He'd get the Alford treatment.

He's successful at OSU because they support him from day 1, they are starving for change, no pressure, he can implement his style, etc.

UCLA is a really tough job.

And what coach in their right mind wants to go head to head with Miller for recruits right now?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Most probably wouldnt care about that
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:Most probably wouldnt care about that
I don't think so. At the end of the day, coaches are just people like you and me, doing what's in their best interest. You going to take career risk when you have aspirations to succeed at every level? Of course. But that's a big hurdle to overcome, turn around a program that has expectations of beating Arizona/Miller on the court and in so cal with recruits...he has a strangle hold on California. Not saying he walks on water, but you better believe that would cross the mind of a candidate when assessing the pros and cons.

Believe it or not, I gained a lot of respect for Alford because he took the job because it's UCLA, and didn't give a shit about the obstacles. Miller and most coaches do their due dilly, call other coaches, survey the landscape, think about worst case scenario. Alford had the stones to just do it. So props to him. I don't think one UCLA fan has given him respect for that because they think it's the holy grail to coach at. The candidates that were targeted were too chicken shit to take the challenge.

So yes, many would care about that, and a lot of other "trivial things" when their livlihood and legacy depend on being successful at a school that fired their coach after 3 final fours.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Im sure any potential coach will look at it and see Miller is recruiting well, but I dont think it would be any sort of factor at all.

But those were some weird tangents.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

MrBug708 wrote:Im sure any potential coach will look at it and see Miller is recruiting well, but I dont think it would be any sort of factor at all.

But those were some weird tangents.
Alright, so while we're on the topic, why didn't UCLA land their top tier list coaches?

Caveat: Guererro is off the table, we had Livingood who was actually worse.

Thanks in advance.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bosy, what you're implying would be like UNC not being able to get a good coach because Rat Face is at Duke. I don't buy it. UCLA has got much, much bigger problems than having Arizona and Miller a state away.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bangkok Wildcat

Puerco wrote:Bosy, what you're implying would be like UNC not being able to get a good coach because Rat Face is at Duke. I don't buy it. UCLA has got much, much bigger problems than having Arizona and Miller a state away.
I agree and it's truly remarkable that these bigger problems seem to be all self-inflicted. While obviously we are the best program in then Pac and CSM has had stellar success in Cal recruiting, UCLA is their own worst enemy these days.......enjoy it while it lasts because at some point a competent AD is going to fix them.

It's just frickin' incredulous that they fire Howland who was a good Coach and had taken them to 3 Final Fours and replaced him with Alford (after all their top targets rejected them) who doesn't have much of a track record of success.....In addition,in order to get him, they had to give him one hell of a contract!

When they end up firing Alford in the next 3 years, it's going to be really amusing to watch their HC search......
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Puerco wrote:
When they end up firing Alford in the next 3 years, it's going to be really amusing to watch their HC search......
Absolutely. UCLA HC searches are just a lot of fun because we all get a very public demonstration of how far they've fallen in the pecking order. It's priceless.

HEH!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Puerco wrote:Bosy, what you're implying would be like UNC not being able to get a good coach because Rat Face is at Duke. I don't buy it. UCLA has got much, much bigger problems than having Arizona and Miller a state away.
Good point. Good point.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Good point. Good point.
But the UNC and Duke/AZ and UCLA analogy doesn't work because one of these programs has zero local support/interest, rarely fills even half their arena for home games, and hasn't won a championship in 20 years.

I don't think you can really compare UCLA to Duke or UNC because these latter two don't face the same natural challenges that UCLA does.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It was good while it lasted, but Arizona's reign over the PAC-12 is over. These things come and go. Sorry to give you such a hard time while you down, Bruins. Welcome back to the top. Take some pity and don't rub it in.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Longhorned wrote:It was good while it lasted, but Arizona's reign over the PAC-12 is over. These things come and go. Sorry to give you such a hard time while you down, Bruins. Welcome back to the top. Take some pity and don't rub it in.
What happen? I must have missed it.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

I think they're getting Jaylen Brown and Zimmerman, lol.

Still not scarred.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Was reading on Bruins Nations that with the loss to Cal, Alford still has yet to sweep a conference road swing. I know Alford's only been Westwooding for two years now, but WOW, we weekend road-sweep like twice a month.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bosy Billups wrote:I think they're getting Jaylen Brown and Zimmerman, lol.

Still not scarred.
Think it's just the Bruin rumor mill, BB. It's looking less and less likely that they get even one of these guys.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Do me a favor Beach...stay in here.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

This should keep him occupied for awhile

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Who's the balding, brooding guy? Is he a college basketball coach?

HEH!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UCLA on the rise. Arizona not so much. Get premium.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Longhorned wrote:UCLA on the rise. Arizona not so much. Get premium.
Dude, this is the basketball board. The football is over there -->
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow. If we whiff on Rabb and they land Zimm and Brown, I'd be concerned.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Of course you would be... You are a frightened child who breaks into hysteria at the slightest signal of adversity.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Of course you would be... You are a frightened child who breaks into hysteria at the slightest signal of adversity.
Well, it'd be a decisive recruiting victory for Alford and UCLA right in the middle of Miller's heyday at AZ.

But now that I think about it, Lavin always had incredible recruiting classes, and Lute's teams routinely outperformed UCLA during that period.

Or even Howland's last recruiting class with Shabazz and Anderson. They couldn't survive the first weekend of the tourney.

I'm actually more concerned about not getting Rabb than about UCLA getting Zimm and Brown. Rabb has been our #1 target regardless of class for quite some time, and not getting him would be a setback.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Lavin and Lute have nothing to do with Alford and Miller.
Like, zero connection. Like, there is nothing to compare there.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Call me crazy, but some competition from Westwood would be good for AZ and the PAC.

Just saying that them landing some recruits might help us all.

(that and a new coach)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ucla absolutely needed that win at Asu to keep any tournament hopes. Now they have fallen back to 16-11 and 8-6. They have us Saturday and a 3 game home stretch against Washington, wsu and usc to finish. If we beat ucla then they need to sweep the last 3 home games and then win probably two games in the Pac 12 tournament to get in at like 21-13.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Was reading on Bruins Nations that with the loss to Cal, Alford still has yet to sweep a conference road swing. I know Alford's only been Westwooding for two years now, but WOW, we weekend road-sweep like twice a month.
Pretty sure I read that the Washington sweep was Miller's seventh. So closer to once a year, though he's picked up the pace.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Ucla absolutely needed that win at Asu to keep any tournament hopes. Now they have fallen back to 16-11 and 8-6. They have us Saturday and a 3 game home stretch against Washington, wsu and usc to finish. If we beat ucla then they need to sweep the last 3 home games and then win probably two games in the Pac 12 tournament to get in at like 21-13.
UCLA's gonna get in, barely.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Ucla absolutely needed that win at Asu to keep any tournament hopes. Now they have fallen back to 16-11 and 8-6. They have us Saturday and a 3 game home stretch against Washington, wsu and usc to finish. If we beat ucla then they need to sweep the last 3 home games and then win probably two games in the Pac 12 tournament to get in at like 21-13.
UCLA's gonna get in, barely.
That would be a victory for team Alford.

In all fairness though, we missed the tourney in MIller's second year. Plus, you can say without a doubt UCLA lost more players in year 1 than we did. However, we were working with far less talent in year 1, so it's not apples to apples.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We went to the elite 8 in Miller's second year
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:We went to the elite 8 in Miller's second year
Miller > Alford (and it's not close) Not sure if that's where this was headed, but just wanted to restate the obvious.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Heh.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:We went to the elite 8 in Miller's second year
Miller > Alford (and it's not close) Not sure if that's where this was headed, but just wanted to restate the obvious.
If I were to base my opinion of Miller on what I read you post about him on this board, I would interpret the post above to either be sarcastic OR a statement that Alford must be the worst coach in college basketball.

I assume it's the latter, but only because Ben Howland is out of coaching.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Can't wait to watch Alford and Lavin 2.0 go at it on Saturday.