Upshaw has been Dismissed from UW!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

az91

Upshaw has been Dismissed from UW!

Post by az91 »

I guess it was bound to happen eventually: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 02065.html. There goes the Fuskies' season.
Bosy Billups

Re: Upshaw has been Dismissed from UW!

Post by Bosy Billups »

This goes back to the joke of the NCAA, fans, etc.

Makes me laugh.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Wow......I didn't think they were going to make the NVAA Tourney with him though but certainly not now. Not good news for the conference though....
az91

Post by az91 »

Didn't Miller heavily recruit Upshaw at one time? He could have been our next Josiah or Sidiki.
Bangkok Wildcat

az91 wrote:Didn't Miller heavily recruit Upshaw at one time? He could have been our next Josiah or Sidiki.
Was just about to comment the same.....or did Miller sense something after his Turner experience?

Also, I woukd like to revise my concern/interest on the matchup with Upshaw later this season @ UW....not conerned at all ;-).......seriously though, what a waste.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

az91 wrote:Didn't Miller heavily recruit Upshaw at one time? He could have been our next Josiah or Sidiki.
yeah, he was our (the fans, not necessarily CSM's) plan b or c in the zeus recruitment. yeesh.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Dope.
Right where I want to be.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Dude just played last night so it must have been something he did in Utah I assume. Just strange. I feel bad for Romar
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Dude just played last night so it must have been something he did in Utah I assume. Just strange. I feel bad for Romar

How do you get in trouble in Utah with Mormon girls and 3.2 beer?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azcat49 wrote:Dude just played last night so it must have been something he did in Utah I assume. Just strange. I feel bad for Romar
I was hearing it had to do with "drugs," both at Fresno State and Washington.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
gumby

Post by gumby »

Word on the street, did the John Lucas Clinic in the offseason. Not the basketball one.
Right where I want to be.
Bangkok Wildcat

Interesting speculation on the Upshaw dismissal from the UW Board.....http://forum.hardcorehusky.com/discussi ... -situation
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Interesting speculation on the Upshaw dismissal from the UW Board.....http://forum.hardcorehusky.com/discussi ... -situation
Thanks for the psot.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Not to play defense counsel, but just another consequence of the NCAA's stupid rules. You can vote, you can die for your country, you can get a paying job at the 7-11, but you can't get paid for your god given talent while a student at a university.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

There's no reason to be paid while on a full scholarship at a university.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Katzenfreund wrote:There's no reason for workers to be paid as long as employers provide subsidized lunch.
I see your point and can understand why some athletes should get paid...but your comparison is terrible. Maybe if a subsidized lunch was worth hundreds of thousands of dollars over a few years it'd make sense.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Katzenfreund wrote:There's no reason for workers to be paid as long as employers provide subsidized lunch.
free tuition, free books, free healthcare, free meals all you can eat, free place to live, free equipment, free travel, free clothes, all the girls and parties you could ever want for free...they don't need to get paid unless you want schools paying for their weed and Xbox live membership. Put some money in a post college trust fund or something but college athletes have no need to be paid since now the power 5 has approved a full cost of attendance scholarship...they are being paid upwards of 70k a year already
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

ASUHATER! wrote:
free tuition, free books, free healthcare, free meals all you can eat, free place to live, free equipment, free travel, free clothes, all the girls and parties you could ever want for free...they don't need to get paid unless you want schools paying for their weed and Xbox live membership. Put some money in a post college trust fund or something but college athletes have no need to be paid since now the power 5 has approved a full cost of attendance scholarship...they are being paid upwards of 70k a year already
No kidding, they are already getting paid....paying more opens up a can of worms IMO. For those who insist they should get paid, how are you going to decide who gets paid and what?

Obviously only the revenue generating sports should be the ones eligible, right? This means less money or even canceling all those scholarships for non-revenue ones (ie. women's basketball....actually I'm ok as this is a silly sport, swimming, track and field, tennis, etc.).

So for those few sports (I can only think of basketball and football) which actually make serious money (which help subsidize all those other sports schollies), how would you decide who gets paid what? Obviously a Stanley Johnson wouldn't get paid the same as a Drew Mellon......Anyways, I think I've made my point.

If the players want to get paid more than the many tens of thousands of dollars they already get in free education then don't bother coming to school and go straight pro.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Katzenfreund wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:No kidding, they are already getting paid....paying more opens up a can of worms IMO.
Who says that a physical education teacher like Nick Saban needs to make $7.16 million off the bruised bones of unpaid players? Let the man pull through life with, let's say, $1 million and spread the other $6.16 million between his 85 scholarship players. That's $72,470 per annum per player. Maybe we'll see less offenses against property committed by college athletes among the positive consequences.
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Obviously only the revenue generating sports should be the ones eligible, right? This means less money or even canceling all those scholarships for non-revenue ones (ie. women's basketball....actually I'm ok as this is a silly sport, swimming, track and field, tennis, etc.).
Why does an institution of higher education necessarily have to be a sports club? Why not make club sport affordable instead and get rid of greed-driven pay-to-play nonsense and multi-billion dollar college athletics? Let NFL and NBA create their own professional minor league system. Something way beyond the D-League sadness.
Such the idealist... I'll look forward to your post on CEO Pay. Ido not disagree with your general premise but am not near as far over-the-top as you are with your implications.

I would not have a problem with allowing kids to go straight to a D-League out of HS; let them make the choice - just like baseball. They can go overseas.. Why not take that route if the college sports complex is abusing them all like indentured servants? It worked for Brandon Jennings...

Having had a great deal of experience with minor league baseball players, I can tell you that nearly every one who signed right out of HS regretted it, and would have gone to college if they had to do it all over again. That data point is somewhat dated, but I suspect it applies today as well.

Kids who could go straight to the League will get paid right away. Those who cannot will get paid at the poverty level... I do not think that's debatable.

The fact is that if at student athletes were paid what they were worth, a small percentage would make a killing - and a vast majority would get less than the value of their scholarship. Your $72K per year suggestion is nice, but let's be real: Matt Korcheck does not deserve to get paid as much as Stanley Johnson. How do you decide who gets paid what? is that part of your recruiting process? Welcome to your 10 time defending Pac-12 BB Champions - the Oregon Ducks!

Surprising that someone who believe that D1 Athletics should cease to exist as we know it would be such a dedicated fan. I wouldn't be invested in a "club team" approach (Are the IceCats still around?), and I would watch D-League games as much as I do now, which is as often as I check the box scores for minor league baseball games. That's never.

I think the system as it is works to the benefit of a vast majority of student-athletes; that said, I do think an additional stipend - as well as addition healthcare coverage considerations - are certainly warranted.

I must say, though... Your insinuation that Upshaw wouldn't have been dealing if he was getting "more of his" is awfully rich. The value of his college scholarship is more than he'll be getting doing whatever he does next... But I get it, it fits in with your narrative. If he was picked up by a D-League team, how much do you think he would make?
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Katz, on an academic level I appreciate your position. On a selfish level, I enjoy following UA sports, and I would have nowhere near as much of a connection to Random Local Developmental League Team X. Would you actually like to see university sports dismantled, or are you just academically arguing for it?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Katzenfreund wrote:That's $72,470 per annum per player. Maybe we'll see less offenses against property committed by college athletes among the positive consequences.
My bad then... I guess I assumed a reference to a college athletes committing an offense might have had something to do with the one who is the subject of the thread. Well supposedly, anyway.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Katzenfreund wrote:When I played professional sports during secondary school and graduate college, education was primary. My club knew about the situation and we always worked things out. Happens all over the place, all the time. No need to worry about scholarships either, since all education was free and I even had a some extra cash my pocket due to the sport.

If that experience makes me an idealist, then I must have grown up in paradise.
If you are not a parent yet you are certainly ready for the "'when I was a kid' stories" part of it. :D
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »