ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAtrue

Re: ASU blows

Post by UAtrue »

Frybry02 wrote:Those 5v12 matchups are unpredictable.

That was great! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder what their seed would be if the NCAA opened things up to...say...200 teams. Maybe a 90 or 100 seed?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
I saw that billboard on the way to Phoenix. I took it to mean that if you return this year's season tickets, you can use that as an advance on next's year's purchase.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Dudek is a funny man...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm at the park wearing my UA hat and there's this fat guy wearing a ASSU hoodie. I started to laugh. He said, "Yeah yeah, I know..."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

asu is a #5 seed in the NIT and plays at UCONN. I would like to see them win a couple of games so Herb could get another contract extension. :D
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Irish27 wrote:asu is a #5 seed in the NIT and plays at UCONN. I would like to see them win a couple of games so Herb could get another contract extension. :D
I want them to lose in the NIT Finals and just to see how that bandwagon ticks
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Can ASU and UConn both lose and give Calhoun a heart attack on the way out?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:asu is a #5 seed in the NIT and plays at UCONN. I would like to see them win a couple of games so Herb could get another contract extension. :D
In ASU terms, a NIT berth is a marginal success. Thing is, I'm actually not joking, I think this year qualifies as a success.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

hell i want asu to win 2-3 games in the nit. get herb that extension!
#herbivore4lyfe
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Main Event wrote:
Massive blow.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /24858029/

"In August of 2014, I was given the opportunity to accept a scholarship to Arizona State University. I accepted the offer and made a verbal commitment. In doing so, it was a very exciting time for me, not realizing until now the complexity of making such a decision at such an early stage of my athletic experience. I don't believe I took the appropriate time to go through the process that would decide my academic and athletic future.

"After much thought and discussion with my family, I've decided to open up my recruitment and decommit from Arizona State University. My decision is in no way a reflection of the coaching staff. They have exhibited nothing but professionalism and sincerity. My relationship with them is the reason why this decision has been so difficult. I hope that ASU will continue to be a college option for me. My family and I would like to personally thank Coach Sendek and his coaching staff for their grace during this entire process.

"This has been a deeply personal decision that some will criticize and many will understand. That is why I trust the fans and those who know my heart will respect my choice to take this time. I sincerely appreciate your understanding."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

"I have received interest from better programs so I am forking off."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Kid was a class of 2017 recruit anyway. Why anyone would commit to asu early in their sophomore year of high school as a 4 star needs to reevaluate.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

ASUHATER! wrote:Kid was a class of 2017 recruit anyway. Why anyone would commit to asu early in their sophomore year of high school as a 4 star needs to reevaluate.
Yeah this.
gumby

Post by gumby »

More on this. Dump Sendek to get three prized in-state kids?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /24864065/
Right where I want to be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They'll be lucky to get one of those kids

Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

gumby wrote:More on this. Dump Sendek to get three prized in-state kids?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /24864065/
Lol, ASSU is such a dump of a program...the only positive things they accomplished this year were not finishing at the bottom of the Pac12, an NIT bid and their 'Curtain of Distraction'. I love seeing them suffer.

They don't deserve anyone better than Herb. Hell, he beat us two years in a row as well. They think they can do better? LMAO.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If a coach good enough to take NC State to the tournament five years in a row can only go twice in 9 years at ASU that's the best ASU can do.

az91

Post by az91 »

Main Event wrote:
Smart kid.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katzenfreund

Still a prick...

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangkok Wildcat

No kidding Katz, he is still a prick and an ignorant one at that! I can tell his ASSU education is paying off......He still doesn't know how to speak English....Great representative for ASU.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Took after his mom with his twitter skillz I see.

Btw I find that last series annoying. My millenial sister says similar things as her justification for saying or acting how ever she wants will little regard to the actual situation she finds herself in.

"I'm my own person, blah blah blah" bullshit
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Sendek is the best Tempe can do. Their frustration of realizing this nearly every year is comparable what I see from certain friends in their 30s who realize this - being a bartender, a untenured prof, an overworked lawyer with no hope at partnership - is about the best they'll do for the long term.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Most ASU fans/grads that I talk to really genuinely don't care about basketball. Unless that attitude changes, Sendek will be safe as long as his teams aren't an embarrassment on or off the court.

ASU passion for men's basketball = UofA passion for women's basketball.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azthrillhouse wrote:Most ASU fans/grads that I talk to really genuinely don't care about basketball. Unless that attitude changes, Sendek will be safe as long as his teams aren't an embarrassment on or off the court.

Whenever we beat them or they have a bad loss or season, their fans on their board immediately go into "well it's just basketball..it's a fringe sport no one cares about. It's a dying sport. We are a football and baseball power anyway so basketball is as important as gymnastics. Only Arizona fans and a couple other people nationwide watch the sport."

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:Most ASU fans/grads that I talk to really genuinely don't care about basketball. Unless that attitude changes, Sendek will be safe as long as his teams aren't an embarrassment on or off the court.

Whenever we beat them or they have a bad loss or season, their fans on their board immediately go into "well it's just basketball..it's a fringe sport no one cares about. It's a dying sport. We are a football and baseball power anyway so basketball is as important as gymnastics. Only Arizona fans and a couple other people nationwide watch the sport."
I have no problem with that attitude as long as they keep their mouths shut when their basketball team does something good for once. Thankfully my ASU friends are consistent about their apathy and did not say a peep when they beat us this year.

BTW that "basketball doesn't matter" attitude you describe is actually, unfortunately, somewhat accurate. I'd use hockey as a better comparison - extremely passionate and devoted fandom in some areas, completely casual and passive in others, and not a top-tier, front-of-mind sport for most of the country. This time of year is the obvious exception, but during the regular season, college hoops is a niche sport, similar to hockey. Sucks to say it, but it's true.

p.s. I like hockey too, so not trying to slag on hockey.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

"(name sport here) doesn't matter" says fans of teams whose (name sport here) team sucks on a regular basis. if there baseball team always sucked baseball wouldn't matter.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I believe I heard that in the terms of betting, March Madness will have 9 billion spent on it...the superbowl had a little over 3 billion spent...

I don't think 9 billion makes anything "fringe". The "dying" sport is a mantra that is talked about endlessly and it simply isn't true.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It's not dying. It's the closest thing we have in America to the fandom and passion of European and Latin American club team soccer.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Mid February to early April college basketball is a top 2 sports with the nba that nearly every sports fan cares about and watches. The issue is that from early November to early February, it only has 1/3 of the audience and is only religiously Followed in the northeast, Illinois/Indiana/Kentucky and in Tucson and Spokane.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:

I posted it above, but I think this is a good season for them, and that's the saddest reflection on their program.

They beat us in Tempe, which is the only game their fans care about. They made the NIT, which is an acceptable result for ASU. Around here, that sort of season would mean the sky was falling. There, it's not only acceptable, but good.

Herb Sendek is like the song "Never make a pretty woman your wife" come to life in the CBB arena. He's ugly, but he sure can cook and you never have to worry about him cheating on you.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Marotta just shows that they still don't have a clue how to build a competitive basketball program in Tempe.

How does VCU keep Shaka Smart around? How did Arizona keep Lute from going to Lexington? Why does Billy Donovan stay in Gainesville, and Mark Few in Spokane?

None of these programs were national brands when the big schools came calling. Yet the name coaches stayed. Why?

It's called loyalty. When ASU figures out how to engender that, then I'll start taking the school seriously as a threat in hoops.

But I doubt anybody there ever will. After all, it involves character, commitment and integrity, and holding up Todd Graham as your shining example just illustrates how distant a school culture is from understanding any of those qualities.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Most ASU fans/grads only care about whatever the passing fancy is at the moment. Its not like they have purist dedication to football or anything. If football tanked and their basketball suddenly got good for a few years, they WOULD care. Since we're good at basketball, they constantly devalue it. They have no consistency in their fandoms. How bout the days when the Suns were perennially good and the Cardinals bad? and they way ASU is culturally situated, thats the way it will always be.

For better or worse, UA basketball being the only thing consistently good for 30 years has a bred a deeper loyalty. If our bball was like most generic D-1 programs with a boom and bust cycle every few years, we'd probably be more fickle as well. Its just fortunate thats the way the dice rolled.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:

Most ASU fans/grads only care about whatever the passing fancy is at the moment. Its not like they have purist dedication to football or anything. If football tanked and their basketball suddenly got good for a few years, they WOULD care. Since we're good at basketball, they constantly devalue it. They have no consistency in their fandoms. How bout the days when the Suns were perennially good and the Cardinals bad? and they way ASU is culturally situated, thats the way it will always be.

For better or worse, UA basketball being the only thing consistently good for 30 years has a bred a deeper loyalty. If our bball was like most generic D-1 programs with a boom and bust cycle every few years, we'd probably be more fickle as well. Its just fortunate thats the way the dice rolled.
Great post. I do know some hardcore ASU football fans though, people that have been tailgating since Kush was the coach etc. There's probably 25,000 (somewhat diluted from 40-50,000 back in the 80's before the Cardinals got here) die-hard ASU football fans that would buy tickets regardless of how bad the team sucked.

I do think our fanbase culture is more loyal and more passionate (across sports) than theirs by a longshot, though. Part of that is probably ASU being a commuter school, part of that is probably the fact that UofA is the only game in town in Tucson.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The ASSu basketball fan, AKA unicorn are impossible to find.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: If our bball was like most generic D-1 programs with a boom and bust cycle every few years, we'd probably be more fickle as well. Its just fortunate thats the way the dice rolled.
Still see plenty of fickle fans on here!

One less now anyway.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

azgreg wrote:The ASSu basketball fan, AKA unicorn are impossible to find.
Hey I saw two ASU shirts at the Oregon game Saturday, plus two punks that were talking shit to us in the casino on Friday (which was puzzling to say the least, on multiple levels)....so I guess that's 4 of them?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azthrillhouse wrote:
Hey I saw two ASU shirts at the Oregon game Saturday, plus two punks that were talking shit to us in the casino on Friday (which was puzzling to say the least, on multiple levels)....so I guess that's 4 of them?
Saw a dude walking around with a long sleeved "fork" asu shirt. People were giving him shit all night.

I also saw an older lady, but people seemed to look at her with pity.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

azthrillhouse wrote:
1stNGrant Frys wrote:

Great post. I do know some hardcore ASU football fans though, people that have been tailgating since Kush was the coach etc. There's probably 25,000 (somewhat diluted from 40-50,000 back in the 80's before the Cardinals got here) die-hard ASU football fans that would buy tickets regardless of how bad the team sucked.

I do think our fanbase culture is more loyal and more passionate (across sports) than theirs by a longshot, though. Part of that is probably ASU being a commuter school, part of that is probably the fact that UofA is the only game in town in Tucson.
Yeah I actually rather respect the ASU of the late 70s to the very early 90s. Even though its a commuter school, their residential portion alone is still larger than many medium sized universities. My least favorite thing ever, is the awful analogy ASU: Football --- UofA : basketball. As if they are somehow equals.

Not to sell ourselves short either, there are plenty of schools where the university is the only game in town and still no one cares or they cannot maintain consistent success. We really hit a perfect storm of sustainability and excitement (for now).
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

azthrillhouse wrote:
i was walking by myself in Vegas, and a group of girls started chanting ASU ASU. Then one asked me the result of the tournament. I told them how U of A and ASU did. "oh well ASU is better than U of A anyway!" and they continued chanting. This is pretty much the mentality of their fanbase.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:
i was walking by myself in Vegas, and a group of girls started chanting ASU ASU. Then one asked me the result of the tournament. I told them how U of A and ASU did. "oh well ASU is better than U of A anyway!" and they continued chanting. This is pretty much the mentality of their fanbase.
Just be thankful you didn't catch anything from them. :-)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:
lol that's a perfect example. They have no idea how their team is doing or anything about the sport, get told they suck and we're really good and they just say they are better anyway.

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ASUHATER! wrote:

that sounds familiar. how many ucla fans do we know whose mantra in recent years have flipped from "who cares about football, we're a basketball school!" to "who cares about basketball, we're a football school now!"

(or ku fans who suddenly stopped caring about football again when things didn't work out with charlie weis)
Bangkok Wildcat

Katzenfreund wrote:Image
Damn Katz, every time I look at these I LMAO!!! I think you might want to start a separate thread for these....maybe 'Herb Sendek - The Lonely Guy' or whatever......too much potential just sitting here!

Potential ideas: Herb on the ASU Hindenburg, Firing Squad, Where's Waldo?, etc.....this could be a hell of a thread! Just an idea.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

That's why he calls ASU's NIT invitation a "well-deserved opportunity."

"The teams in this tournament would be equivalent to teams going to good bowl games in football,'' Sendek said. "They're having successful seasons whether it's Murray State, whether it's Miami, which won (seven) road games including a blowout win at Duke, whether it's Arizona State, a team that finished fifth in the conference with wins over UCLA and Arizona.
This fucking guy

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /24933181/