UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dirtbags

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble?

Post by dirtbags »

maybe steve alford will miraculously land an nba coaching job and make room on the roster for bryce and kory
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I give Bryce Alford a lot of credit for a stellar shooting exhibition today.

I also acknowledge that he's fairly likely to go 3-14 in the next game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

threenumberones wrote:The sad part is that without him they are likely going home. Biggest asset, and glaring weakness? Dude is a walking contradiction..
I think if we had a competent PG, we'd have won that game comfortably
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:
threenumberones wrote:The sad part is that without him they are likely going home. Biggest asset, and glaring weakness? Dude is a walking contradiction..
Just to continue on the thought, if you had a competent PG you'd probably (generally) be a four/five seed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Steve Alford trying to shoehorn Bryce into the PG position does neither Bryce nor UCLA any favors and clearly shows he's far more concerned with his son's pro prospects than anything else.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ASUHATER! wrote:Looks like ucla will be in another sweet 16
That happens, and it's more than likely, our conference is quickly turning into a cast of coaches who hang their hat on low bars. Sendek with his extensions for winning 20 games, Romar and Dawkins still employed because of now forgettable sweet sixteen runs, and now with Alford, you know he'll milk out of UCLA the goodwill of two straight sixteens for all their worth.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'd day this gift of a appearance took Alford from being[spoiler=][/spoiler] an outside shot at being fired to probably being safe for two years..
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah he gets two full seasons after this no matter what with back to back sweet 16s.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:I'd day this gift of a appearance took Alford from being[spoiler=][/spoiler] an outside shot at being fired to probably being safe for two years..
Ohhhh....that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

If I was his boss I would still fire him for the nepotism/roster mismanagement as this appearance basically means nothing.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Congrats to UCLA.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Frybry02 wrote:Congrats to UCLA.
:lol:
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

SCCats wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Congrats to UCLA.
Did I see that Bryce was 9 for 12 from 3? (plus the gift) Wow.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

catgrad97 wrote:This was Daniel Bejarano's last chance for the Dance with Colorado State, wasn't it?

Instead, UCLA gives the Pac-12 a dubious fourth bid based on nothing but tradition, potential and playing (judging by Arizona's bracket) the weakest 2 seed to the wire in a conference tournament game.

It's like the tournament wouldn't be the same without inviting in every possible team Kentucky thrashed. What a phone-in by the committee.
I completely agree. My initial reaction to the Tourney seeding and at large selections was "lazy job" by the committee. Can't remember a worse more vanilla tournament selection and seeding than this one...ever.
Last edited by CBCat on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote: I also acknowledge that he's fairly likely to go 3-14 in the next game.
I think his final shot of the game was a perfect example of why you are right. Despite being on fire from deep, he still managed to take a horribly ill informed shot that should have cost his team the game when there was still time to improve their look.

And then a kid goaltended the errant 3...

goaltended an errant 3. Sorry...I had to type it again just to hear it in my head one more time...goaltending a three point shot for the loss. SMH
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Steve said that Bryce is better than he (dad) was.

Ya. Two time AA, Olympian et al.

No blind spot at all..
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

MrBug708 wrote:Steve said that Bryce is better than he (dad) was.

No blind spot at all..
Steve must think Bryce used mind control on that SMU player to get him to commit a goal tend. No way he'd say that if that didn't happen.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EVCat wrote:And then a kid goaltended the errant 3...

goaltended an errant 3. Sorry...I had to type it again just to hear it in my head one more time...goaltending a three point shot for the loss. SMH
Goaltending a terrible three to lose the game has to be like getting an erection for the first time in a decade, then standing up too fast, losing blood to your head, fainting head first into your coffee table and breaking your dick.
MrBug708 wrote:Steve said that Bryce is better than he (dad) was.

No blind spot at all..
Steve Alford is the anti-Wooden
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Goaltending a terrible three to lose the game has to be like getting an erection for the first time in a decade, then standing up too fast, losing blood to your head, fainting head first into your coffee table and breaking your dick.
Winning on a missed but technically goaltended three must be like losing a footrace when the guy in front pulls a hamstring and you overtake him while to cheers turn to gasps, and you raise your fists in the air triumphantly while crossing the finish line in front of a silent crowd. Afterward, your dad says you're faster than he used to be.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah he gets two full seasons after this no matter what with back to back sweet 16s.
Man that would makes things in Westwood highly entertaining, which I'd be all for.

Based on the total combination of severely negative collective reactions on forums like Bruins Nation or from Buddies I have from the local UCLA Alum chapter they'll be going through a sort of hell (it'll look like purgatory to everyone else) where they have a guy they who isn't bad enough to fire, but isn't good enough to have much hope for, not to mention fill an arena for. Maybe the Lakers can be duped into making a "local" hire.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

MrBug708 wrote:
I hear you. But the eye test last night told me there's a lot more wrong with the UCLA O than a point guard that doesn't distribute. Like at least 27pts on 9-13 shooting worth of wrong..at least. That's just one game though.

Curious what % of the fanbase hates him. What if he shoots UCLA into the final four? Will you view him differently?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah he gets two full seasons after this no matter what with back to back sweet 16s.
Man that would makes things in Westwood highly entertaining, which I'd be all for.

Based on the total combination of severely negative collective reactions on forums like Bruins Nation or from Buddies I have from the local UCLA Alum chapter they'll be going through a sort of hell (it'll look like purgatory to everyone else) where they have a guy they who isn't bad enough to fire, but isn't good enough to have much hope for, not to mention fill an arena for. Maybe the Lakers can be duped into making a "local" hire.
Sendek Jr.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

And now they play UAB for a trip to the Sweet 16. Pretty incredible.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just like last year when ucla played Tulsa and Stephen F Austin to get to a sweet 16.

UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

He touched the ball!! Btw, full credit given to UCLA and their coaches.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Just like last year when ucla played Tulsa and Stephen F Austin to get to a sweet 16.
Is this the only insight you provide?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Just like last year when ucla played Tulsa and Stephen F Austin to get to a sweet 16.
Uh in this one post? Yes. Still more info than usually anything you post mister.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Uh in this one post? Yes. Still more info than usually anything you post mister.
Yup. One post

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 601#p96601

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 842#p96842

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 344#p96344

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... 222#p96222
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Those are all different posts with different words in them...I'd expect Ucla grads to be able to read English...

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love to see the PAC get 3 into the 16. Decent chance
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Your team is about to make a miracle Sweet 16 run and you are still being a wet blanket?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat34 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Your team is about to make a miracle Sweet 16 run and you are still being a wet blanket?
Miracle run? Here I thought it was a gift getting to play such garbage teams.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Bug is feisty today
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Those are all different posts with different words in them...I'd expect Ucla grads to be able to read English...
Really? You are going to talk about grammar now?

You should stick to harassing Machina over every detail. It's a little less subtle
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Bug is feisty today
Nah. Traffic was was bad. Took 8 hours to go 3 miles. You know how it goes
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

MrBug708 wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Miracle run? Here I thought it was a gift getting to play such garbage teams.
You are, but who cares? Doesn't matter in the tournament.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Yeah, being gifted a win on an offensive goaltend definitely proved UCLA belonged in the Field of 64.

You want snark, welcome to it.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catgrad97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Yeah, being gifted a win on an offensive goaltend definitely proved UCLA belonged in the Field of 64.

You want snark, welcome to it.
I've been around the community for about a decade. Getting snarkiness isn't new to me. It's the only way to survive here. ;)
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Extensions for everybody! Come on UCLA!!!

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Good seats available!!!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

All seats available!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Allie LaForce is a hottie.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

The one thing that sticks out about UCLA is they are not a very intelligent team. Their basketball IQ is low and they seem to be more a team of chuckers. It's a shame too because they have size and athleticism. This is bad coaching, whether from teaching or recruiting.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA should be going inside every single time. UAB can't stop any of the bigs. Norman Powell should never pass it to Alford or Hamilton and just drive it to the basket
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

MrBug708 wrote:UCLA should be going inside every single time. UAB can't stop any of the bigs. Norman Powell should never pass it to Alford or Hamilton and just drive it to the basket
Agreed, the dribble penetration and inside passing is really working for UCLA. UAB has no answer for UCLA's bigs.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Catintheheat wrote:The one thing that sticks out about UCLA is they are not a very intelligent team. Their basketball IQ is low and they seem to be more a team of chuckers. It's a shame too because they have size and athleticism. This is bad coaching, whether from teaching or recruiting.
In this game we are seeing a UCLA team very unlike what we saw in the league. Parker is leading the team with something like 7 of 8 shooting down low. Alford is driving and dishing and passing up "looks" on the perimeter.

Bruins not checking up on the perimeter and have given up 6-9 shooting from 3, but wont matter if they keep exploiting their offensive advantages like this. Go Bruins!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Lute4God wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:The one thing that sticks out about UCLA is they are not a very intelligent team. Their basketball IQ is low and they seem to be more a team of chuckers. It's a shame too because they have size and athleticism. This is bad coaching, whether from teaching or recruiting.
In this game we are seeing a UCLA team very unlike what we saw in the league. Parker is leading the team with something like 7 of 8 shooting down low. Alford is driving and dishing and passing up "looks" on the perimeter.

Bruins not checking up on the perimeter and have given up 6-9 shooting from 3, but wont matter if they keep exploiting their offensive advantages like this. Go Bruins!
They keep playing like this they will be a tough out.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UAB's guards are so bad, Bryce is breaking them down off the dribble
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Imagine if UCLA played D nearly as well as they play offense! This game looks like it could be a blowout next half.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MrBug708 wrote:UCLA should be going inside every single time. UAB can't stop any of the bigs. Norman Powell should never pass it to Alford or Hamilton and just drive it to the basket
They haven't even utilized Looney on the inside and the Bruins are still killing it in the middle. UAB breaks down every time Bryce tosses it inside. And speaking of Bryce, he's enough of an outside threat to loosen things up in the lane. Gotta be honest, other than the ASU loss, Steve Alford has coached up a good product since Feb 1.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Wow I have to say it again, Bryce Alford is playing like a great point guard this game! UCLA just destroying the paint.