Laettner

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

Laettner

Post by 3goggles »

Anybody else watch the 30 for 30 and not hate him as much?
3goggles

Re: Laettner

Post by 3goggles »

I feel like I should slap my self for thinking that
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

that one ref on the right baseline hates coastal carolina. every time they breathe on wisconsin it's a foul
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

I had a feeling that it would probably make me not hate him as much, so I refused to watch it.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Macho Grande wrote:I had a feeling that it would probably make me not hate him as much, so I refused to watch it.
Just the opposite for me.....I had forgotten why I hated him and this was a great reminder! :-). He should have been ejected from that classic UK game!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

3goggles wrote:Anybody else watch the 30 for 30 and not hate him as much?
The farthest I will go is to say it made me respect him, and I do not hate him any MORE after watching it.

Although I am not sure that would have been possible...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Didn't watch it, and I don't particularly care about Laettner. All of my Duke hate is reserved for Coach Rat Face.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

The only thing I enjoyed was seeing how Jalen Rose had a hard time admitting Laettner was a really good player. Also, those Michigan teams lost every game to Duke and Laettner while Lute & the Cats were 2-0 against them.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Hes still a cocksucker. I really liked the part where he continued to justify his blatant bullying as "making my teammates tougher."

Jalen Rose is a racist so F him too.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Quite honestly, I could give a fuck about him.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I just felt like it made me properly feel how stupid it is/was to hate a college kid for being a college kid who was good at basketball for a team I didn't like. That was my takeaway...I was an asshole for being so judgmental/angry at 21 year olds who were just trying to do their thing, and, just like me, Christian grew up and took ownership of the parts of his persona that were aggravated by his demeanor.

It is just another reminder of something we shouldn't need reminded about...these are young men playing a game. Hating them for being less than perfect is stupid as hell, and I can get just as fired up as I ever did about a game, wanting to beat the shit out of an annoying opponent, without having to wish ill will upon the players. The refs, coaches, players, scorekeepers, etc...they are all just there to do their best to make their part of the game excel. I thought Laettner properly owned his own bad habits/personality quirks while really just asking "why so much hate?"

He's just another kid...they seem like the only ones ever when you are young/their age. Then you get older and there are just so many former players, you can't really stand to hold grudges...
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Hes still a cocksucker. I really liked the part where he continued to justify his blatant bullying as "making my teammates tougher."

Jalen Rose is a racist so F him too.
+1.....and EVCat, while I'll agree with most of your post, Laettner was a dirty player and a bully. Yes, he was a winner too but not the kind of player I would cheer for....a real Dbag!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

If he had played for Arizona, every Arizona fan here would have, and would still, love him!

D'uh!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

pc in NM wrote:If he had played for Arizona, every Arizona fan here would have, and would still, love him!

D'uh!!
Agree, if TJ played for UCLA or Duke, we would all dislike him very much. Laettner would be loved in Tucson if he played in a Wildcat uniform.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of course we'd hate him. He'd be kicking our ass!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I still fondly remember Laettner missing the first of a one-and-one with with 2 seconds left, and #1 Arizona leading 77-75....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I did watch it. It almost seemed like an attempt by ESPN to deflect general hatred toward Duke to one player, and then try to make you like him by humanizing him. It didn't work because, like everyone, I hate Duke because of ESPN to begin with.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not going to watch it, but Laettner did seal the Dookie win over the then undefeated UNLV so he does have that going for him.

Although I do seem to still hate Duke more than UNLV.
UAEebs86

Christian Laettner Files for Trademark of “Dickhead”

Post by UAEebs86 »

DURHAM, NC — Former Duke basketball star and retired NBA player Christian Laettner is attempting to own the rights to the word “dickhead.” Laettner filed paperwork with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) on March 19th.

“If you look at the history of the word ‘dickhead,’ it really came into prominence in the early ‘90s,” said Randall McCree, Laettner’s trademark attorney. “And who was the biggest dickhead of that time? Christian Laettner.”

https://medium.com/sportspickle/christi ... 1461c61bd4
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bobby Hurley was easily the most hated on those Dook teams. I mean, at least Laettner was ultra talented. Hurley was a whiny little bitch...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Should I be glad I don't remember those dook teams? (I was like 4-7 years old)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Longhorned wrote:I did watch it. It almost seemed like an attempt by ESPN to deflect general hatred toward Duke to one player, and then try to make you like him by humanizing him. It didn't work because, like everyone, I hate Duke because of ESPN to begin with.
This is spot on, LH. I never despised Duke with the passion I have now until I moved to North Carolina. Having to put up with all the stupid local adulation combined with ESPN and Dickie V. slobbering all over them for the better part of a decade (17 games on ESPN on year while UA had two) made me hate them like I do today. The thing is, their fans are by and large pretty cool and respectful of other programs. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with Duke from within (their entitled student body set aside for the purposes of this discussion), so all that hatred was pretty much misplaced. It is gradually fading since I've moved away from there and since UK has begun getting at least as much attention as Duke, so at least I've got that going for me.

Laettner? He was just a dick. Didn't really think much more about him.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

3goggles wrote:I feel like I should slap my self for thinking that
Technically, I think you should chest stomp yourself for that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Puerco wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I did watch it. It almost seemed like an attempt by ESPN to deflect general hatred toward Duke to one player, and then try to make you like him by humanizing him. It didn't work because, like everyone, I hate Duke because of ESPN to begin with.
This is spot on, LH. I never despised Duke with the passion I have now until I moved to North Carolina. Having to put up with all the stupid local adulation combined with ESPN and Dickie V. slobbering all over them for the better part of a decade (17 games on ESPN on year while UA had two) made me hate them like I do today. The thing is, their fans are by and large pretty cool and respectful of other programs. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with Duke from within (their entitled student body set aside for the purposes of this discussion), so all that hatred was pretty much misplaced. It is gradually fading since I've moved away from there and since UK has begun getting at least as much attention as Duke, so at least I've got that going for me.

Laettner? He was just a dick. Didn't really think much more about him.
This has largely been my experience as well. The older basketball fans (not the NJ undergrads) know basketball, are fun to talk with about college BB, and have been very complimentary of Arizona. The 2011 loss still sticks with them, but the own up to getting "beat down" by Miller's Cats that game. Overall good bunch.