ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCats

Re: ASU blows

Post by SCCats »

They actually fired him...I knida can't believe it.

This AD better be good at pulling rabbits from hats.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

No doubt Anderson was feeling the heat from the boosters to make a move before, in their view, ASU basketball totally drowned beneath the waves of Arizona basketball.

When Grand Canyon University is drawing more fans for home games, some number-cruncher, even at ASU, is going to notice.

Not that Capel will make the program buoyant again, but he's probably the best candidate who wants the job since they've passed over Randy Bennett at St. Mary's six times.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Wed May 06, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

From just a few months ago :lol:

Bickley: Herb Sendek ASU contract extension makes sense

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /15028793/
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Katzenfreund wrote:How about Kevin O'Neill?
Has Howland signed that MSU contract yet?

I'm going to die laughing if they fire Herb and bring in Jeff MF'ing Capel
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

This really is ASsU level stupidity at its finest.

I'm assuming they will pay herb whatever they owe him, plus pay the new coach, strictly from booster-raised funds? Given the huge cuts to the schools that just happened.

Herb did a pretty good job this year.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:This really is ASsU level stupidity at its finest.

I'm assuming they will pay herb whatever they owe him, plus pay the new coach, strictly from booster-raised funds? Given the huge cuts to the schools that just happened.

What's Herb's buyout?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat34 wrote:

What's Herb's buyout?

$2.7M.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

SCCats wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote:How about Kevin O'Neill?
Has Howland signed that MSU contract yet?

I'm going to die laughing if they fire Herb and bring in Jeff MF'ing Capel

russ pennell! boing boing!

the p12 should make a move on sendek. i would be highly entertained seeing him as a studio analyst aside KO or doing pbp (i wish) with bill walton
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Just another AD going in the red, then. As much as that school pushes "business, business, business" and "money, money, money," nobody seems to have a clue at ASU about how to spend it wisely.

It's called value for your dollar, Ray Anderson. Arizona knows how. Take notes.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Merkin wrote:
azcat34 wrote:What's Herb's buyout?
$2.7M.

that'll buy a lot of single-serve sbarro pizzas at the mgm food court.

sorry, couldn't resist.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

What's Herb's buyout?

$2.7M.
I thought it was higher. I remember Katz breaking down a possible buyout on TOS.

Still, that's a lot of cash
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

ASU needs to hope that the travel partners never go away. They get at least 2 games a year via the "Arizona" effect. You can tell teams are either overlooking them or are just so deflated after leaving Tucson that they don't try against ASU until its too late. Although when Tempe state visited Utah right before our game, it was clear the Utes were coached to not overlook them...9 points in a half...
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Expect to compete consistently for Pac 12 titles.
Turning Sun Devil men's basketball into an elite program.
Creating an unmatched atmosphere within Wells Fargo Arena.

I'm dying. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

azcat34 wrote:
Gotta think Capel will use this info, along with the Alabama opening, to drive up his price. Assuming they pay him (or whoever the new coach ends up being) $2 million a year, and assuming the $2.7 million buyout figure is correct, they'll be paying nearly $7 million over the next 2 years for a team with a CHANCE at making the Tournament. That's insane!

On a side note, does anyone else want to punch people who suggest Archie Miller for the asu job? It's one thing for asu fans to say that, because they're delusional anyway. But I've heard some legit Phoenix sports guys suggest Archie's name. I have a better chance of being offered that job than asu does of convincing Archie to come to a pathetic program and compete against his brother. That's just asinine.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Conference place

Capel: Herb:
06-07 7th 10th
07-08 4th 5th
08-09 2nd 3rd
09-10 11th 2nd
10-11 8th 10th

Capel will have to run a dirty program to compete locally with GCU and regionally. Hopefully they start to schedule harder but its just a matter of time before another point shaving like scandal comes out for them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, that statement is something to behold.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASSU won't be going into the red anytime soon. They sold the land south of the football stadium so State Farm could build home office buildings and that got them out of the red. They are plans to bull doze the golf course and do the same and they ahve already created the spical tax district that will tax all those entities and add revenue to the athletic bottome line. They have been smart about what they are doing financially.

The boosters (we have a couple in my office) has made no bone Sendek had run his course. The USC loss was just the last straw. They are unrealistic in who they think they can get but they are willing to pony up for the right guy. I can tell you that coach has or will be told he must recruit and that Bagley kid is a big priority (Jumpin Joe's grandson) which would make them relevant real quick.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Expect to compete consistently for Pac 12 titles.

I don't see the part where he mentions building a $5M practice facility, spending $5M to renovate the locker rooms, spending $50M to renovate the arena, and and and

This is similar to how Russia does things: they don't want to put in the proper investment and the hard work over years and years and years to possibly make themselves elite. They just want to try and take the shortest route possible, which here would be offering $3M a year to their head coach, not understanding that 1) no really good coach would even take their $3M (they'd just use it to get a raise at their current school because they know it's basically impossible to have success with ASU's current investment level) and 2) that when you do get a ok coach (not a great coach and probably not even a very good coach) to take the $3M, they still won't be successful because you don't have any of the infrastructure in place to possibly be successful.

I mean we all saw what happened when UCLA tried to find a HC, where money supposedly didn't matter and they ended up signing a rape enabling, contract dodging, Bobby Knight "We hate UCLA" disciple for seven years $2.5M a year who probably isn't even a top 25 in America college basketball coach. And that was UCLA.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azcat49 wrote:ASSU won't be going into the red anytime soon. They sold the land south of the football stadium so State Farm could build home office buildings and that got them out of the red. They are plans to bull doze the golf course and do the same and they ahve already created the spical tax district that will tax all those entities and add revenue to the athletic bottome line. They have been smart about what they are doing financially.

The boosters (we have a couple in my office) has made no bone Sendek had run his course. The USC loss was just the last straw. They are unrealistic in who they think they can get but they are willing to pony up for the right guy. I can tell you that coach has or will be told he must recruit and that Bagley kid is a big priority (Jumpin Joe's grandson) which would make them relevant real quick.
They're not getting Bagley unless Miller already has the top big in the nation locked up. Rob Evans needed Channing Frye the same way and thought Ike Diogu was a better catch.

You were telling me in Vegas about the tax code changes ASU was making, J, but that doesn't make the AD any smarter, eating almost $3 million and publicly throwing the program at Capel before the firing of Sendek has even cooled.

That school needs a search committee, because clearly nobody has a clue of where to look for a good college basketball coach. Find a young winner in the West Coast Conference or Big Sky with no ties to Arizona, for a start.

Instead, beyond Russell Turner, we get this list of Duke retreads and ex-Arizona coaches who would never dream of considering the ASU job while Lute's still alive. Totally misguided.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat34 wrote:
From the article, RE Amaker: "...and ASU would embrace his Ivy League background".

:lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

no matter who they hire the absolute short to mid term ceiling for ASU basketball is beating us at home every year, finishing in the top four or five in the conference and going to the tournament 2 or 3 out of every 4 years with a sweet 16 every 5. Just don't have the fanbae, Infrastructure or desire to be any more than that in the next 15 years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

hopefully, this ends up being a huge distraction for duke while they try to prep for 'tah
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

AZCatGirl wrote: Expect to compete consistently for Pac 12 titles.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
From the article, RE Amaker: "...and ASU would embrace his Ivy League background".

LOL at almost half that list having ties to Arizona.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Wed May 06, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Hey Josh, come take a pay-cut and be second fiddle to the Suns and GCU in the valley.

-Your Friend, Ray.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Katzenfreund wrote:Dickley and Marotta are currently fantasizing about Pastner. Delusional clowns.

http://tunein.com/radio/The-Dan-Bickley ... a-p547474/

Wait, what? They actually want Pastner?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

"fan affinity advancement"

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat34 wrote:
Good lord. It's like they skipped straight to the bottom of the barrel.

Usually, trotting out Jeff Capel's name is when your coaching search is starting to get desperate.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

catgrad97 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:ASSU won't be going into the red anytime soon. They sold the land south of the football stadium so State Farm could build home office buildings and that got them out of the red. They are plans to bull doze the golf course and do the same and they ahve already created the spical tax district that will tax all those entities and add revenue to the athletic bottome line. They have been smart about what they are doing financially.

They're not getting Bagley unless Miller already has the top big in the nation locked up. Rob Evans needed Channing Frye the same way and thought Ike Diogu was a better catch.

You were telling me in Vegas about the tax code changes ASU was making, J, but that doesn't make the AD any smarter, eating almost $3 million and publicly throwing the program at Capel before the firing of Sendek has even cooled.

That school needs a search committee, because clearly nobody has a clue of where to look for a good college basketball coach. Find a young winner in the West Coast Conference or Big Sky with no ties to Arizona, for a start.

Instead, beyond Russell Turner, we get this list of Duke retreads and ex-Arizona coaches who would never dream of considering the ASU job while Lute's still alive. Totally misguided.
Based upon my colleague boosters from ASSU I doubt they use a search committee. ASSU has enough dough to eat that contract. My interest is in the fact this is Andersons first revenue sport hire.

At least verbally they are tired of playing second fiddle and they have been upgrading every one of there sports. I am not sure I have see the intensity for attempting to get out in front of AZ then I have seen in the last few years. I think the fact we have kept pace with them football wise is very disconcerting to them.

The real interest in there program will be very telling IMO. I would love to be a fly on the wall for some of those conversations.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Asu desperately wants to hire someone affiliated with Arizona since they think it will give them a leg up and annoy us.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So hoping this search turns into NCST part deux
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The ESPN comments on this article are hilarious. One dude said Sean Miller got lucky and walked into a "pot of gold" at Arizona and said he will be hanging by a rope with the right hire. Another said Archie would be the perfect fit and gave 10 hilarious reasons why. ASU grads are really DTS.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:The ESPN comments on this article are hilarious. One dude said Sean Miller got lucky and walked into a "pot of gold" at Arizona and said he will be hanging by a rope with the right hire. Another said Archie would be the perfect fit and gave 10 hilarious reasons why. ASU grads are really DTS.
Archie is a good coach. I think the larger issue is whether he's too good for ASU.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I think the larger issue is whether he's too good for ASU.
Goes without saying
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I guess the gap won't close after all Paola?

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:I guess the gap won't close after all Paola?

Stunner
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:The ESPN comments on this article are hilarious. One dude said Sean Miller got lucky and walked into a "pot of gold" at Arizona and said he will be hanging by a rope with the right hire. Another said Archie would be the perfect fit and gave 10 hilarious reasons why. ASU grads are really DTS.
Archie is a good coach. I think the larger issue is whether he's too good for ASU.
No, the larger issue is whether Archie hates his family. Hates his family so much that he will go to the place that fired his college coach, the man that gave him two assistant jobs. Hates his family so much, that he will go compete with his big brother, go to war every year and diminish each other's success. All because he really enjoyed his ONE fucking year as an assistant at ASU. He enjoyed it so much that Archie is like FUCK MY DAD, FUCK MY MOM, FUCK MY BROTHER, FUCK MY WIFE, FUCK MY MENTOR...I'M GOING TO ARIZONA STATE!!!

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

If the Capel rumor is true, I am truly at stunned at what ASU must be thinking.

They want to hire a coach who, at the time that AZ hired Miller, was a hot name that declined any interest in the UA job? To be able to say "We got a guy who UA wanted and he would not talk to them"?

I honestly cannot think of anything else...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Color me surprised.

And how are you going to have a name like Paola.... and look like that?
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Oklahoma got rid of Capel so fucking fast. Castiglione must be laughing his ass off.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We're going to take our time and be deliberate, but we'd hire Jeff Capel today if he wants the job.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

lots of buzz from asu fans right now. so much for all their talk about being a "football school," (lol) not giving two shits about basketball, eh/
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:I guess the gap won't close after all Paola?

That's why she gets paid the big bucks. :roll:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pretty much it.