UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Howland was the best coach they've hired since Wooden, and they freaking canned him. UCLA deserves the spot they're in. Foolishly delusional about what they are and can be.

I was thinking Furd should hire Howland and let him inflict all kinds of payback on UCLA.
Don't think stanford is an upgrade from MSU
It is in everything pretty much an upgrade outside of the basketball program. Look at Montgomery and never leaving the bay area, from Stanford to the GSW, to Cal.

Mississippi is a miserable state.
They're good vaxers.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

azgreg wrote:My guess is Furd goes after a Pac-12 assist with Cali recruiting ties.

Hufnagel will be available :roll:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Rumors out of Westwood today that Prince Ali is transferring.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Lot of supposition, rumor, and outright guesswork there . . . but I wholeheartedly approve. Burn that mutha down!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Why would anyone want to play for Alford? I don't get it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'd visit UCLA as well. I wouldn't sign there, but I'd visit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beautiful school, weather, close to theme parks, beach and mountains...

Besides, if you are not an NBAer, then the academics are top notch.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Alford is still the coach. End of discussion
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

84Cat wrote:Why would anyone want to play for Alford? I don't get it.
Because Alford won't be the coach by the time a current high school sophomore would be reaching college.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

It's also a single year stop over for bagley and Alford is out of kids
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:It's also a single year stop over for bagley and Alford is out of kids
Have we confirmed that? I heard Steve was a real hound back in the day. Could there be an illegitimate >40% shooter who takes 13 shots a game somewhere out there with a real dumb haircut? Fingers crossed!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Alford apparently just voided his previous extension and reduced his buyout to 7.2 million, until May first which is when it will drop to 5.4 million
Last edited by MrBug708 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:Alford apparently just voided his previous extension and rhetoric buyout sites a 7.2 million, until May first which is when it will drop to 5.4 million
Nice of him.

So....wait until May 1st and fire him?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dear UCLA Family, Friends, Alumni and Supporters,

Since leaving the locker room in Las Vegas, I've spent countless hours dissecting our program, evaluating our staff, meeting with our young men and breaking down game film to address our struggles and begin the process of improving as a team.

I know none of that makes the ending to our season any better or changes how we all feel about our year, but constant review and improvement is imperative in my job - a job that I take extremely seriously and one that's an absolute privilege to hold.

The fact remains that no matter how much time passes, the way we finished this past season will eat at me for a long, long time. Our record speaks for itself and is simply unacceptable. There's nothing that I can say or write that will change that fact. This happened under my watch, it begins and it ends with me. The buck stops here.

Because of this, I let Dan Guerrero know that I wanted to return the one-year contract extension I received after the 2013-14 season. This request has since been processed. At the end of the day, year three was clearly not up to UCLA standards. My coaching staff and I fell short not only of our own expectations, but the expectations of Dan, the Chancellor and you, our fans. As a coaching staff, we intend to earn that extension back.

This has been a difficult time, there's no doubt about that. Difficult times, however, build resolve.

It's easy to just say we'll be better next year. We're excited to prove it, and that begins now. Over the course of my career, teams that I've led have owned, on average, a defensive rank in the top 50. This year we ranked outside the top 100. This can never happen again. We must return to the basics and instill defensive fundamentals in our young men from day one of permissible workouts.

While our returning letter-winners are upset about this past year and can't wait to work on their games with our coaches over the next few months, on June 20th, they will be pushed even harder with the arrival of our new class in Westwood. There will be fierce competition in both the backcourt and frontcourt this offseason, which not only accelerates growth, it builds character.

While I don't expect this letter to change any opinions or take away the pain from this difficult season, I do hope it reflects my commitment to UCLA and shows that we will address areas in which we fell short.

At this point, it's well documented that basketball is my life. I came to UCLA to experience the pinnacle of the sport. I wanted to bring my passion for this game to the place where the game itself was ultimately taken to unprecedented levels of grace, dignity and success. In the process, it's become my home.

I hope you'll continue to support our fine young men that will be working this offseason to get better as well as the new class of young men coming here this summer, eager to experience everything that is great about UCLA. I know our entire program is already looking forward to future successes.

Thank you, and Go Bruins!
Coach Alford Signature
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dear Steve,

Since you first sat in my chair, I've spent countless hours dissecting your butt cut, trying to tone it down, bring it up to date and begin the process of improving your hair.

I know none of that makes your ridiculous 'do any better or changes how we all feel about your appearance, but constant review and improvement is imperative in my job - a job that I take extremely seriously and one that's an absolute privilege to hold.

The fact remains that no matter how much time passes, the way your haircut turned out will eat at me for a long, long time. Your part down the middle speaks for itself and is simply unacceptable. There's nothing that I can say or write that will change that fact. This happened under my watch, it begins and it ends with me. The buck stops here.

Because of this, I let John Travolta's 20-year-old self know that I wanted to return his hairstyle from your head to his. This request has since been processed. At the end of the day, at least you wear pants. My Barbasol and I fell short not only of our own expectations, but the expectations of your parents, your children, and your neighbors. As a barber, I intend to eat lunch between shampoos.

This has been a difficult time, there's no doubt about that. Difficult times, however, build resolve.

It's easy to just say you'll look better next year. I'm excited to prove it, and that begins now.

While I don't expect this letter to change any opinions or take away the pain from your awful hairstyle, I do hope it reflects my commitment shows that I will address areas in which we fell short.

Thank you,
Hal
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:Beautiful school, weather, close to theme parks, beach and mountains...

I dont care if they just got done eating $20 meals from Taco Bell and Bryce and his daddy were present, I would put on a UCLA jersey and a pair of ugly yellow Adidas and toss both of those middle brunettes' salads tossed for hours, and I wouldnt ask for a thing in return.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Friend texted me something on Alford giving back his extension? Sounds like it might be easier for UCLA to pull the trigger if he has another poor year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Whats the angle there? Try to win everyone back knowing hes gonna be loaded next year?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Best case scenario for UCLA:

Ball
Hamilton
Bolden
Leaf
Welsh

Just not sure they'll get to see this. Lots of rumors out here of guys heading for greener pastures.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Best case scenario for UCLA:

Ball
Hamilton
Bolden
Leaf
Welsh

Just not sure they'll get to see this. Lots of rumors out here of guys heading for greener pastures.
Frickin' Leaf defecting still pisses me off.....I think he's going to be a real stud.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azcat49 wrote:Friend texted me something on Alford giving back his extension? Sounds like it might be easier for UCLA to pull the trigger if he has another poor year
He's going to leave after next year before he gets fired and will get another decent contract. KInd of what he did at Iowa to New Mexico. He's basically coaching his son's legacy right now before moving. This way he'll still have leverage
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Best case scenario for UCLA:

Ball
Hamilton
Bolden
Leaf
Welsh

Frickin' Leaf defecting still pisses me off.....I think he's going to be a real stud.
UCLA will be real limited athletically next year
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UCLA fans are so beautifully deluded. No one more so than the one who posts here regularly, regrettably.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Beachcat97 wrote:UCLA fans are so beautifully deluded. No one more so than the one who posts here regularly, regrettably.
I listen to a fair amount of LA sports radio (570AM) and Bruins sports are hardly mentioned. There really isn't much talk of UCLA basketball in LA but when you do find a UCLA fan, boy are they as vehement as any disgruntled SEC fanbase.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat34 wrote:
Well, that's a nice waste of money, but I do appreciate the support for my industry.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:UCLA fans are so beautifully deluded. No one more so than the one who posts here regularly, regrettably.
I listen to a fair amount of LA sports radio (570AM) and Bruins sports are hardly mentioned. There really isn't much talk of UCLA basketball in LA but when you do find a UCLA fan, boy are they as vehement as any disgruntled SEC fanbase.
Alford is historically bad at UCLA.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UCLA will never overcome its limitations.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Alford is historically bad at UCLA.
I can't see next year as anything other than make or break. Ball and Leaf are really talented. He needs to win or hit the road.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

They will probably be similar to how Cal was this year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Merkin wrote:Beautiful school, weather, close to theme parks, beach and mountains...

I dont care if they just got done eating $20 meals from Taco Bell and Bryce and his daddy were present, I would put on a UCLA jersey and a pair of ugly yellow Adidas and toss both of those middle brunettes' salads tossed for hours, and I wouldnt ask for a thing in return.
LMAO just saw this now. I'll take the blonde on the right and the brunette on the far left then.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:They will probably be similar to how Cal was this year
Sure...if Bryce doesn't play.

If Bryce plays RPI 50+ on the way.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I can't see next year as anything other than make or break. Ball and Leaf are really talented. He needs to win or hit the road.
We don't know UCLA's roster situation yet, but if everyone is back, they've got

Ball
Leaf
Hamilton
Holiday
Golomon
Ali
Welsh
Bolden
Alford
Anigbogu

Probably a couple others I've forgotten. That's a pretty damn loaded roster, imo. It's possible that the parts don't fit in an ideal way, but a halfway decent coach would finish top 3 in the Pac and reach the S-16. I don't think that's unreasonable.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Beachcat97 wrote:UCLA will never overcome its limitations.
That's kind've the point of all of this; what exactly are UCLA's limitations? UCLA has all the basic ingredients to do much better than they regularly do, through the days of Lavin, Dorrell, Neuy, Alford, and Howland's wane. Is it Dan Guerrero? Or more?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

SCCats wrote:

I was speaking to probably top 4 in the PAC top 25 flirting throughout the year. Nothing special considering the talent
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrBug708 wrote:
SCCats wrote:

I was speaking to probably top 4 in the PAC top 25 flirting throughout the year. Nothing special considering the talent
I understood that's what you were saying.

I'm saying it's not going to happen if Bryce plays 35 minutes a game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:UCLA will never overcome its limitations.
That's kind've the point of all of this; what exactly are UCLA's limitations? UCLA has all the basic ingredients to do much better than they regularly do, through the days of Lavin, Dorrell, Neuy, Alford, and Howland's wane. Is it Dan Guerrero? Or more?
Limitations:

-can't afford an elite coach so instead has to roll the dice with up and comers. Some turn out to be Howland, others Alford

-half empty arena for 75% of home games

-L.A. is a major pro sports market, and all college teams are 2nd fiddle, even USC football

-most UCLA students do not care about the basketball team; compare this to AZ, Kansas, UK, etc.

-current pro players who attended UCLA do not maintain a visible, fruitful connection to the school/program; again, compare to Duke, UNC, AZ, etc.

-UCLA is very rarely ranked in the top 25

I could go on. These limitations are what they are. I worked at UCLA for 4 years before moving over to UCR, so I had a front row seat for all of this.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lol
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Lol
Heh
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Glad to see that in Lonzo Ball UCLA finally found a replacement for Lorenzo Mata.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lonzo's shot is off but looks good. Leaf needs to gain strength
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

MrBug708 wrote:Lonzo's shot is off but looks good. Leaf needs to gain strength
It looks like he starts really low and on opposite side of his body. Kid is an absolute stud handling the ball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:
It looks like he starts really low and on opposite side of his body. Kid is an absolute stud handling the ball.
His jumper goes in, but the form is godawful.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Reminds me of Mustafas release
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Frybry02 wrote:
Ended up with 13 assists, which has to be a small miracle in this game of fending for yourself. 0-3 on 3's though
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm curious. How many 5-stars were this past year's Bruin team that finished 10th? My guess is that they had as many or more than any other Pac team. Not sure why next year's outcome will be significantly different.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Ended up with 13 assists, which has to be a small miracle in this game of fending for yourself. 0-3 on 3's though
He's really good. I worry he's too unselfish for what he is about to step into.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

he looks like an uglier Drake too :lol: