Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Rich Rod

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Virginia Tech and Rich Rodriguez

Post by UAEebs86 »

http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/free- ... rodriguez/

BlueGoldSports.com dropped a bomb this morning. Jeremy Simon, the founder of the that site, wrote that sources have indicated that Rich Rodriguez is a strong contender to take over at Virginia Tech when Frank Beamer retires.

http://www.bluegoldsports.com/source-wv ... uez-again/

Here’s the big quote from the article…

“Multiple sources have indicated to me that Whit Babcock has already approached current Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez about replacing Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech. While I was not told directly the two had met there was a strong indication that there had been a personal meeting in the not-so-distant past.”

In case you weren’t aware, Whit Babcock and Rich Rod worked together at West Virginia. Babcock was the Executive Director of Development while Rodriguez served as head football coach, and they had a close working relationship. Here’s another interesting article from 2008 that suggest that West Virginia’s unwillingness to give Babcock a larger role in football operations was one of the reasons Rodriguez ultimately departed.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well tha article sucks. I had heard VaTech or Clemson were threats and now I know why. That 500K buy out sucks but he would also walk away from some of that MLP retention bonus I think
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't image RR moving soon with his daughter a UA cheerleader and his son a HS QB.

Beamer extended last year until 2018 and makes $2.4M per.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... e/9689725/

— Rodriguez's current deal expires Nov. 30, 2017. The proposed extension would increase the football coach's annual base salary of $1.33 million to $1.5 million. The salary then would increase $100,000 every June 1 through 2018, when it would reach $1.9 million. Rodriguez also earns $495,000 annually for peripheral duties such as radio and TV appearances. Under the proposed deal, that sum would increase to $500,000.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azcat49 wrote:Well tha article sucks. I had heard VaTech or Clemson were threats and now I know why. That 500K buy out sucks but he would also walk away from some of that MLP retention bonus I think
The VT folks love Bud Foster, but they love him as their DC and not HC. Somebody, including the guy who wrote the story, please give me a scenario where RR would take this job and not bring Casteel as his DC? Bud Foster makes a ton of money as DC for VT so would the stipulation be that RR can come but Foster will be the DC? That's not going to fly with RR. It was also mentioned on the other site that VT's football facilities suck so that would certainly be a sticking point as well. Maybe it's just me but I don't see the VT job as being a better job than what he has right now especially with how Arizona is trending. He keeps recruiting 4 star QB's and high quality skill guys and there's no reason to leave.

I know people love to bring up RR leaving, but everybody that I've talked to inside McKale says that RR and his family genuinely like it here in Tucson. If they were to leave I think it would be for a much better job than VT (see Clemson or Miami, FL). At the same time I think RR would have to believe that he's not getting to where he wants to go here - meaning if he wasn't beating Oregon and he wasn't competing for Pac 12 championships and playing for a shot at a FF then I don't think there's any question that he would consider leaving.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Vt is a great job and I could see RR leaving for it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Vt is a great job and I could see RR leaving for it.
Is this one of your typical posts where you have no idea what you're talking about and are hoping for a reaction? Of course it is.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Reaction to what? I have no idea what your post means but ill assume you're high and out of it. Vt is a top 15-20 job and no one could blame him for going to a top east coast job near where he's from. It makes sense. Unlike whatever point you were stumbling to and failing to make.
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Other than being close to home, what does VT have to offer?

And didn't Casteel move to AZ because the weather was making his arthritis unbearable? Or is that an Amy Miller is deathly allergic to Bermuda grass type of thing?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Vt is a much much much better job than Arizona and one of the top jobs in the east?

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sage&Silver wrote:Other than being close to home, what does VT have to offer?

And didn't Casteel move to AZ because the weather was making his arthritis unbearable? Or is that an Amy Miller is deathly allergic to Bermuda grass type of thing?
I'll put it I'm simple terms.

Imagine Hurley at Asu actually does ok, signs some recruits, goes to the tournament a couple times and and gets to an elite 8. Say then the Villanova or Georgetown jobs open up. Would you be questioning what possibly Villanova could offer over Asu basketball? No. You wouldn't blame Hurley at all for leaving. Same kind of situation.

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I don't like VT really but they have a pretty nice stadium that was upgraded recently and they have a great game day experience with a huge fan base that is loyal to VT to a fault even, which is not bad for a head coach. If Clemson is a great gig then so is VT, they are equal IMO. I don't see anything happening for awhile though as Beamer is dug in like a tick even though he isn't anywhere near where he used to be. And as mentioned above it is an awkward situation with Foster too.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Vt is a much much much better job than Arizona and one of the top jobs in the east?
No. It really isn't. I have no idea how you support that conjecture.

The football program is nothing there without Beamer and they know it.

And RichRod would be a fool to take such a competitive step down from P12 to whatever non-power conference VT will be in, especially considering the long upward curve this program has just started.

Coaches have connections to lots of programs. Florida had me concerned, but somebody's losing sleep over Virginia freaking Tech?

It isn't a bigger spotlight and never will be. You shouldn't be a fan of Arizona if you feel VT is a threat to steal your football coach.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Well, they have been to 22 consecutive bowl games including a few BCS level games. Even though it's easier to get into a bowl game then it used to that's still impressive.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

VT is in the ACC. Saying VT is nothing without Beamer is like saying AZ basketball is nothing without Lute (even though AZ hoops is > VT football, but still a decent comparison).

I don't want or think RR will go to VT and I actually dislike VT, but objectively it is a very good program and with the correct next-hire they can easily get back on the national scene. VA and the mid-Atlantic has plenty of football talent ripe for the taking.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I doubt he's going anywhere for a little while - look at what he's put together here and ask yourself if you'd walk away from that until you've had a chance to reap the rewards of four years of building. Last season Arizona was in the playoff conversation and he hasn't even had these guys here long enough to finish grooming them into the type of football players he wants. This year's team can do big things if the lack of a bye week doesn't factor too much with injuries (that schedule quirk is the only thing that is a tough spot for this team as far as I see .) The 2016 team looks downright scary and will be loaded top to bottom. VT might be a good job, but he's building a monster here and I don't think he's just going to walk away without enjoying the results. Remember when he left a loaded roster at UM, Hoke comes in and wins 11 with that roster, and everyone is talking about what a great coach he is? Do you think RR wants to hand another coach a loaded roster so he can go off and rebuild yet another team? The right hire can get VT back in the conversation but that would take a few years. RR already has AZ in the conversation.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Miami, Florida, Clemson, and South Carolina. Those are ones that you can worry about.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catinfl wrote:Miami, Florida, Clemson, and South Carolina. Those are ones that you can worry about.
And Virginia tech. It's a better job than south Carolina. Other jobs to worry about: Florida, Florida state, Georgia, auburn, Alabama, Penn state, Ohio state, Michigan state, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, lsu, Texas am...

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The sky is falling
RazorsEdgeAZ

Re: Virginia Tech and Rich Rodriguez

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote:http://virginiatech.sportswar.com/free- ... rodriguez/

BlueGoldSports.com dropped a bomb this morning. Jeremy Simon, the founder of the that site, wrote that sources have indicated that Rich Rodriguez is a strong contender to take over at Virginia Tech when Frank Beamer retires.

http://www.bluegoldsports.com/source-wv ... uez-again/
This site (bluegoldsports) is a well known click bait site. Same site last year wrote a post they heard from sources ASU and Arizona were considering leaving Pac12 to join Big12. They went so far to write ESPN/FoxSports had "crunched" the $$ numbers and they came back favorably for ASU and Arizona to jump to Big12.

Not kidding.

They wrote that post right after Rich Rod, Miller and Byrne had received their contract extensions and tied their post and "sources" as reasons why Arizona had put in specific RR buyout clause for leaving to WVU. Said Rich Rod could play WVU again because Arizona would be in Big12.

Not Kidding.

Author and site principles received so much criticism and ridicule that Website apologized for writing and posting it and deleted the post. In that process, Site had acknowledged they were NOT aware Pac12 have "grant of rights" in place that makes it virtually financially impossible for any such thing and brought the attention that they were crazy click baiters.

Just Saying.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

So, basically, Jeremy Simon = Ace. Got it. :). Great stuff Razor.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thanks Razor, didn't know that. One of my buddies who is a VA Tech alum posted on Facebook. Thought I would share, will consider the source if I see something from Simon again.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

UAEebs86 wrote:Thanks Razor, didn't know that. One of my buddies who is a VA Tech alum posted on Facebook. Thought I would share, will consider the source if I see something from Simon again.
Just to Clarify, Jeremy Simon owns BlueGoldSports and wrote the VT - RR story. One of his writers (I think Michael Walker) wrote the ASU/Arizona to Big12 story last year.

Simon attempted to pass off the ASU/Arizona story as just an opinion piece and defended it at first then later apologized and deleted ASU/Arizona post.

Always good to share. I just wanted to add some background on that site and RR stories.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:
catinfl wrote:Miami, Florida, Clemson, and South Carolina. Those are ones that you can worry about.
And Virginia tech. It's a better job than south Carolina. Other jobs to worry about: Florida, Florida state, Georgia, auburn, Alabama, Penn state, Ohio state, Michigan state, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, lsu, Texas am...
You have no idea what you're talking about?? Seriously.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The timing nor the organically right fit is just not here today for Rich Rod to make a move. I don't think a school like VT posses a huge threat by itself, but a school like VT in the area of the country that Rich Rod would love to live and coach does. It will be combined factors as well as relationships that will push him to move in the end.

I have said it in the past and I stand by that position today. At some point in the future, be it two, three, or five years from now Rich Rod will pull the trigger when a head coaching position becomes available and is offered to him at two or three top tier schools back east that he feels he can win big at.

I have no doubt that RR and his family has grown fond of Tucson but likely not fond enough to live here for the rest of their lives. I do think RR will always hold Arizona as a special place in his memories and heart and return here often just as many of our former greats of the past have.

Eventually in a few years the right job in the right area with hotbed recruiting leverage and talent will open up and RR will grab the opportunity to move back east and finish out his coaching career in an area of the country he grew up in and loves.

Rich Rod will win big here for a few more years and leave the football program in the best shape it has ever been and surpassing Dick Tomey in all time wins.

But his last swansong I firmly believe will be at another eastern school of his liking to finish his career.

I know there are those here that adamantly oppose this view from top to bottom and will give me 20 reasons why it will not happen. So be it, that's OK.

I think the best course of action is for all us diehards to temper our expectations because just when you think something won't happen, it does.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think chances are good he ends up elsewhere - eventually. I also think he's going to stay long enough to try to win big with this group. Look at next year's roster. That's his "I told you guys - especially you Michigan Men - that I could build a top-level program" team. I could be wrong, but I think he wants a chance to actually enjoy what he's built before he goes to rebuild again.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

If he is dominating the pack, why would he leave?

To go rebuild some afterthought ACC team and go up against Florida St for an at large every year?

RR wins a big bowl here, he isn't going anywhere. A couple years put him at 55, and he's going to up root his family and staff, pass on a system that is up and running, and try to recreate the magic for a third time "back east"...doubtful, IMO.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azpenguin wrote:I think chances are good he ends up elsewhere - eventually. I also think he's going to stay long enough to try to win big with this group. Look at next year's roster. That's his "I told you guys - especially you Michigan Men - that I could build a top-level program" team. I could be wrong, but I think he wants a chance to actually enjoy what he's built before he goes to rebuild again.
I tend to agree. I think in 2-3 years if we sustain our success he is a good bet to go to a Miami or vt or Florida or something similar. But if we end up having him for 6 years, go to 6 bowls, win a couple division titles and a good 55+ games...I'll take it. After him Arizona wouldn't be a mediocre rebuilding job, it would be a solid good program from which to build.

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

After the Riley to Nebraska and Andersen to Oregon State shuffle this year, I have given up trying to predict coaching moves.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

This whole thing about rr leaving it just ridiculous once again. Why would half of your Arizona keep thinking that one day he going to leave Arizona for something better? Cry me a freaking river he not leaving Arizona for high profile job. He in year four with his team, he has built the type of team he want it, got the type player he want it, he put a positive mark on this team he will continue to do it. All this is, is false report.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

RR isn't leaving unless the situation/place is right. Don't think he'd leave for VT, but that's my opinion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

catinfl wrote:RR isn't leaving unless the situation/place is right. Don't think he'd leave for VT, but that's my opinion
And what situation are we talking about ?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

CalStateTempe wrote:If he is dominating the pack, why would he leave?

To go rebuild some afterthought ACC team and go up against Florida St for an at large every year?

RR wins a big bowl here, he isn't going anywhere. A couple years put him at 55, and he's going to up root his family and staff, pass on a system that is up and running, and try to recreate the magic for a third time "back east"...doubtful, IMO.
Dominating the pack? The PAC 12 South might be the toughest division in football.
devilswin99

Post by devilswin99 »

If RR leaves, it will be because he cannot get the high profile blue chippers he thinks he needs in Tucson that he could land in South Florida or elsewhere on the East Coast. He is great at finding diamonds in the rough (Wright) but you only have so much magic and good fortune to make that happen. Right place and right time, he will go. Arizona gave him a chance to freshen up and get that new car smell again. Time to hit the road, son!!!
it's a great time to be a pothead - Chicat
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just like Graham. As soon as the next dream job opens...he gone.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Haha, but I do agree Rich Rod will leave as if Sark gets USC rolling again (yes a big If but even Sark might not be able to screw up USC with the recruits they are bringing in) we will be the 4th best program in our division and probably 7th best in the conference. I am not sure if VT is that marquee job (it might be) but Clemson or any big SEC job definitely is. Rich Rod is not leaving soon in my opinion but in a couple years for sure. Arizona is not an easy place to coach at. The Lack of fan support is depressing and for some reason we can never seem to recruit in-state talent. Those are two recipes for disaster in terms of convincing a guy to stay. Hopefully both changes over the coming years
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

A couple of years isn't soon in your book? Huh?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I think the sting of what happened at UM is still there and a factor here. He was hard to pry away from WV for a long time, finally took a chance, and got burned. He likes it here and has put in roots. 'Fool me once, shame on you..' kind of thing. He may leave at some point but I highly doubt he is actively seeking greener pastures. If he does end up leaving it will be because he either finished what he started (Rose Bowl/NC) or realized he can't. And we are likely several years from that, Rose Bowl birth excluded.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Sorry meant more like 3-4 years from now. I think Rich Rod gives us at least 7 years but after that if things dont change like I mentioned

1. Increased Fan Support
2. Ability to get in-state recruits
3. Higher salarys for his assistants
4. USC and UCLA are dominating

Then I could see him looking around. I think for sure he likes it here and he has turned us around but I think Rich Rod has big dreams and wants to be at a place where he feels he can compete and win a national championship. All great coaches do. And long term, I do not think Arizona will be that place for him so enjoying him now while we have him. If he continues to win like he has for us, the whole Michigan debacle will be a thing of the past (if it isnt already) and big time schools will come calling. And with Arizona football, when big schools call our coaches leave.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Newportcat wrote:Sorry meant more like 3-4 years from now. I think Rich Rod gives us at least 7 years but after that if things dont change like I mentioned

1. Increased Fan Support
2. Ability to get in-state recruits
3. Higher salarys for his assistants
4. USC and UCLA are dominating

Then I could see him looking around. I think for sure he likes it here and he has turned us around but I think Rich Rod has big dreams and wants to be at a place where he feels he can compete and win a national championship. All great coaches do. And long term, I do not think Arizona will be that place for him so enjoying him now while we have him. If he continues to win like he has for us, the whole Michigan debacle will be a thing of the past (if it isnt already) and big time schools will come calling. And with Arizona football, when big schools call our coaches leave.
If our trajectory continues I think the fan support will come. As long as Byrne is here I think the money for assistants will continue to grow. The ability to get in-state recruits can improve as well with wins also but as long as asu continues to win, it will be a battle. #4 is out of our control and I don't think RR is scared of the competition.

There will likely come a time when RR has "ran his course" here at Arizona and feels maybe he has peaked and will leave. Someone mentioned it earlier but if he brings our program up, he will make it a more attractive job for someone else. I doubt RR will be here until he retires but we as fans have the opportunity to watch him elevate our program to a higher level that fans my age (31) haven't seen before and I'm ok with that. I just hope that whenever and whoever we hire next is able to sustain it.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This year will be telling on the fan support side but if the spring game was any indication it could still be tough and that might be due to more structural problems all of college football is tough.

I do agree with you that being 34 myself rich rod will definitely have us playing the best football I have seen since following the program and it's apparent the guy has a great staff in place and gets the most out of its players and if he does ever leave will leave us in a great spot.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love RR. Will always be a fan. I think we argueably have the best staff top to bottom in the PAC 12.

I love the culture he is building. Getting the kids who love football and have that relentless work effort to get better. I love how the players weed out those kids that don't fit and that they have each others back

I love how RR's family all seems on the same page in Tucson and that scene of RR and Rita embracing after we won the south will sit in my memory bank right up there with Lute and Bobbi after we beat North Carolina to get to the FF.

He wants Tucson to love football as much as he and his kids do. I am hoping that this year, even with a schedule that is not very attractive,that people will realize we are really good. This is the win big year and we have the tools on offense to do it.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I think it's possible some of us Arizona fans don't fully believe a top caliber coach like Rich Rod would not only stay at Arizona long-term or WANT to stay at Arizona long-term. Or another way, stay until he's asked to leave.

Arizona "stepping stone" for a Rich Rod type.

I still thinks it's possible Rich Rod wants to be here and plans to be here for awhile. I actually think him and his staff will spoil us with success we're not used to or have experienced. I could even envision that success plateau and we get unhappy about a 7-8 win season, mediocre bowl and start throwing darts at him and his staff. Start reading headlines like "Is it time for a HC change? etc.

Possible we could see a Rich Rod hot seat and a push from "us" to leave Rich Rod and it not be Rich Rod leave "us" situation. Unless he sees and then acts based on the writing on the walls.

Still think his tenure more strongly tied to his staffs happiness, Greg Byrne and facilities then ANY other HC job opening.

I believe Rich Rod favors an "underdog" position for himself and where he can excel from there. Rather than having a big target and the politics that come with that on his back at say a high-profile gig like a Michigan. Could Argue Arizona is perfect for Rich Rod.. Not a big tradition to be in a shadow of, build his own shadow, quick "success" because 8 win season for now is success and most everyone is satisfied and pulling the rope. Small amount of politics to deal with. $$$ that goes a long way in Tucson. Building his culture, autonomy, young AD that he gets along with. Is OK with being a big honcho at the school and OK sharing that with Sean Miller. Easy access to CA recruits / athletes that make his offense go zing.

Perfect fit.

According to USAToday, Rich Rod is a Top20 paid coach in college football. Top third/fourth in P12. Paid Top 20, at Arizona, in Tucson!

Rich Rod's contract gives him an auto $100k kicker every year. He has a bonus structure that can pay him even lots more. He earned another $400-$500k past year in bonus winning more than 9 games, APR scores, COY, and going to a bowl game (made even more going to NY6 bowl game) etc. That's a pretty good bonus structure. Not so rigid that he can't pad his already top 20 paid salary.

I think (could be wrong) 2018 is the season to be on Rich Rod watch. May 2019 is when Rich Rod's retention fund becomes fully vested. The year earlier, May 2018, Rich Rod only entitled to 50% of the retention fund IF Arizona terminates him without cause. The following year, May 2019 it jumps to fully vested.

That's a big $$$ jump for 1 year. Millions. Even then, the contract favors the school and Rich Rod can only collect if he's still here in 2022. That retention fund is a big handcuff. I could envision Arizona doing RR a favor and terminating him in 2019 (vested, remove handcuff) rather than RR leaving on his own. If he left on his own he would forfeit millions of dollars.

The other consideration not many talk about is the Retention fund is a MLP. MLPs give out qtrly distributions. With a half million MLP units, that qtrly distribution is sizable. Most of which used at the discretion of the AD. $$ to keep Miller, RR and their staffs satisfied. Theoretically.

TV revenue will continue to increase (escalator schedule). Bowl revenue to conferences in CFP structure just doubled. Arizona athletics revenue just hit all time record $100 million past year. Large percentage of that from Contributions.

RR a top 20 paid coach with a bonus structure that allows up to $2 million more annually he can pad onto his salary. A Huge golden handcuff. Access to elite HS recruits that can fuel his schemes that can play in a top two FB power conference. Low expectations (for now). Results that begin to demonstrate to him that he can win at Arizona. Build his own tradition and shadow. Low level of Politics to deal with. And a boss he seems to get along with.

Arizona is ripe for a Rich Rod caliber coach...to stay.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good offseason interview with Coach Rod by Berk from the Star.
Last week there was an Internet report linking you to another job that’s not even open yet. What’s your reaction when you hear about that stuff?

A: “I guess that’s flattering. It’s better than the other way, and being on the hot seat and having to win a certain number of games to keep your job. Until the outside perception sees this as a destination, I think there will always be that if we’re winning. But I know myself and my staff are as comfortable here as any place we’ve been. Everything here has been really positive. I don’t see it not being positive in the future, either.”

And you see it as a destination, despite the outside perception?

A: “Yeah. There is a reason why a lot of people come retire here. It’s a great town to live in. I don’t know what the stats are, but probably half the people who live in Tucson aren’t from Tucson. They just came here and didn’t leave. So that pretty much tells you that it’s a destination place to be. You know?”
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

devilswin99 wrote:If RR leaves, it will be because he cannot get the high profile blue chippers he thinks he needs in Tucson that he could land in South Florida or elsewhere on the East Coast. He is great at finding diamonds in the rough (Wright) but you only have so much magic and good fortune to make that happen. Right place and right time, he will go. Arizona gave him a chance to freshen up and get that new car smell again. Time to hit the road, son!!!
First off he recruits to his system so blue chippers like Anu Solomon, followed by Devin Modster means that we're set at QB for the next 6 years? Oh wait, then you have Burmeister coming in for 2017 and lets see, all 3 QB's are blue chippers that RR wanted for his system. That's where it starts for RR because if he's got the QB he wants, he will get the WR's and RB's that he wants for his system.

So explain to me again why he would leave if he's getting the QB's he wants to play in his system? None of these guys are "diamonds in the roughs" either. That being said and we still kicked your ass with an undersized and slow D LY.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Newportcat wrote:Haha, but I do agree Rich Rod will leave as if Sark gets USC rolling again (yes a big If but even Sark might not be able to screw up USC with the recruits they are bringing in) we will be the 4th best program in our division and probably 7th best in the conference. I am not sure if VT is that marquee job (it might be) but Clemson or any big SEC job definitely is. Rich Rod is not leaving soon in my opinion but in a couple years for sure. Arizona is not an easy place to coach at. The Lack of fan support is depressing and for some reason we can never seem to recruit in-state talent. Those are two recipes for disaster in terms of convincing a guy to stay. Hopefully both changes over the coming years
How many Coaches has SC had before Pete and after Pete that couldn't win at the level expected of them and with top 10 recruiting classes to boot? SC getting good recruits is nothing new so stop making it sound like they're just now getting top recruits. SC has out recruited everybody in our division the last upteen years and when was the last time they won the Conference Championship?

Ucla? The same Ucla that had the South won if it only beat a struggling Stanford team on Ucla's home field. That Ucla? Do you really think RR is worried about those teams if he's getting the guys he wants. Modster picked Arizona over Ucla for whatever that's worth.

Why would RR leave in a couple of years or even 7 years from now? Anu will be a JR if we're talking 2 years from today and maybe the best QB he's ever recruited in Modster will be a true frosh? Again, look at how he has the QB position lined up for the next 7 years - Anu for 3 more, Modster for 2 or 3 and then Burmeister for probably 3. that's 8-9 years right there. It all starts with the QB and if RR is getting the QB's he wants then he's not going anywhere and why would he?

We can't recruit in-state talent? Denson, Debowski, Walker, Holt to name just 4 off the top of my head? I counted close to 30 guys listed on the official roster from Arizona and then we have 3 or 4 more coming from Arizona in the Fall. How much more in-state talent did you want us to recruit?

Why is Arizona a difficult place to coach? Facilities? No. Weather? No? Lack of support from the AD? No. RR acknowledged in todays Star that there's a group of hard core fans that will show up regardless and they have to get that built up. He knows that it only comes with winning but he didn't seem to be upset or bothered by it. If that's the recipe for disaster then how did we win the South LY? You don't think that RR knows that he won the South and beat Oregon at Autzen with a RS frosh QB, true frosh RB, undersized DL, and an undersized and not very fast secondary? Ya, I'm sure he can't wait to get out of here.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dc4azcats wrote:
Newportcat wrote:You don't think that RR knows that he won the South and beat Oregon at Autzen with a RS frosh QB, true frosh RB, undersized DL, and an undersized and not very fast secondary? Ya, I'm sure he can't wait to get out of here.
I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I just wanted to make sure you realized that he LOST to Oregon with those same folks too.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azcat49 wrote:Love RR. Will always be a fan. I think we argueably have the best staff top to bottom in the PAC 12.

I love the culture he is building. Getting the kids who love football and have that relentless work effort to get better. I love how the players weed out those kids that don't fit and that they have each others back

I love how RR's family all seems on the same page in Tucson and that scene of RR and Rita embracing after we won the south will sit in my memory bank right up there with Lute and Bobbi after we beat North Carolina to get to the FF.

He wants Tucson to love football as much as he and his kids do. I am hoping that this year, even with a schedule that is not very attractive,that people will realize we are really good. This is the win big year and we have the tools on offense to do it.
Agree. I think the fact that we beat Assu to end the season in front of a full house will help. You and I talk about this all the time but it's such a blast to be at a Arizona football game. We tailgate, we do the Wildcat walk, we cheer our asses off inside the stadium and last season we were rewarded with a season we won't forget anytime soon. The Cal game? The comeback that fell short against SC (quietest I've ever seen a crowd leaving the stadium) was a kick in the nuts but that place was crazy when we recovered the onside kick. The UW game which everybody will say is the game we always lose, we didn't lose and the fake FG, then the forced fumble and the recovery was surreal and nobody in our section could believe that we actually had a chance to win that game. Then the Assu game starting with the 3rd play of the game.

This season is going to be difficult simply because of expectations and because LY was so incredible. I hate the no bye in the schedule but I think we finally have some depth that will allow RR to rest some guys early on. I also think we will see Randall TY to give Anu some breathers as well. Not having a bye is not going to be an excuse and it's obviously not a surprise for the coaches and players so I expect we will be ready for it.

I can't wait for the season to get here.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

RichardCranium wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Newportcat wrote:You don't think that RR knows that he won the South and beat Oregon at Autzen with a RS frosh QB, true frosh RB, undersized DL, and an undersized and not very fast secondary? Ya, I'm sure he can't wait to get out of here.
I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I just wanted to make sure you realized that he LOST to Oregon with those same folks too.
We beat them at Autzen and how many teams do that? We weren't going to win that game at Levi's stadium because of all the emotion that went into beating Assu - not an excuse as much as it was reality. Oregon didn't have the same emotional game that we had plus they wanted revenge so I get it. It still doesn't take away from the fact that we beat them at their place and we've beaten them 2 years in a row. How many teams not named Stanford have done that in the last 10 years? Exactly.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Daniel Berk continues his interview with RR. Interesting stat that Berk mentions below.

Not handing Solomon the job, but any quarterback who has started two or more years for you has eventually won offensive conference player of the year. What does he have to do to get to that level?

A: “I think being as consistent as he’s shown at times. He has to take the next step as far as making the plays that are there and avoiding the negative plays. Not only does it make us more efficient offensively, but it helps in how people view him as well.

“The quarterbacks are judged about how many games you win and how many points you help produce, and that all goes down in his efficiency.”

http://tucson.com/sports/football/colle ... ?id=201408