Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TuiTouchdown

Re: Will Rich Rod leave after this season? (Poll)

Post by TuiTouchdown »

I just think back to before Rich Rod came to UA, he was a commentator on CBS. You'd have to think he remembers how quickly the CFB world turned on him. I understand that there's no real loyalty between coaches and schools, but hopefully he has a bit of loyalty to his own desire to finish what he started.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

We agree azpenguin. It is about money, perceptions of fans and boosters and an AD wanting to keep his own job and making a home run hire. I don't think RR at VT fits that. Not a home run.

I'm also saying IF RR wanted VT. Only IF. Babcock and RR pretty good friends. There are public records that came out in the WV buyout settlement that shows that. Babcock the fundraiser there. Babcock left (politics) and RR was pissed in what caused Babcock to leave. RR left soon after with the politics including his disdain that WV Governor (can you imagine?) inserting his desires.

VT also has Michigan and WV on future schedules (one year back to back) which would be fun. But there's that.
azcat49

Re: Coach Rod

Post by azcat49 »

Why is RR a name for all these jobs while Mr clown, Toad Graham is not even mentioned. Is it that every one of those jobs are seen as a step up for RR and that the ASSU job is some kind of plum position?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:We agree azpenguin. It is about money, perceptions of fans and boosters and an AD wanting to keep his own job and making a home run hire. I don't think RR at VT fits that. Not a home run.

I'm also saying IF RR wanted VT. Only IF. Babcock and RR pretty good friends. There are public records that came out in the WV buyout settlement that shows that. Babcock the fundraiser there. Babcock left (politics) and RR was pissed in what caused Babcock to leave. RR left soon after with the politics including his disdain that WV Governor (can you imagine?) inserting his desires.

VT also has Michigan and WV on future schedules (one year back to back) which would be fun. But there's that.
You mention the thing with the Governor of WV, and also the meddling at UM has been well documented. I think one thing that Arizona really has in its favor is the fact that RR can run the program without interference. He's not looking over his shoulder and no one is looking over his; he just gets to do what he sees fit to build a winning team. Yet another factor in the puzzle of wondering how good a job Arizona is.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azcat49 wrote:Why is RR a name for all these jobs while Mr clown, Toad Graham is not even mentioned. Is it that every one of those jobs are seen as a step up for RR and that the ASSU job is some kind of plum position?
I'm kind of surprised Graham's name hasn't come up. I actually wouldn't be shocked if his name came up in the VT search at some time.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Crazy week and you certainly have to work hard to decipher the wheat from the chaff. Thought for sure that he was staying because of his kid and then heard he was for sure gone. Always thought deep down that he would stay because of his son (especially after watching his presser on Monday when he talked about Rhett) and wonder if that will hold true at the end of the day? All I would add is I'm okay if he stays and where I wasn't okay before if he leaves, I am now.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

azcat49 wrote:Why is RR a name for all these jobs while Mr clown, Toad Graham is not even mentioned. Is it that every one of those jobs are seen as a step up for RR and that the ASSU job is some kind of plum position?
Cracker isn't getting as much attention because
1. he kind of has to stay at asu for a bit after jumping around so much. Not really respected in coaching circles.
2. Hasn't won with just his recruits yet (neither has RR but RR walked into a much worse situation and has had injuries this year, while asu has been relatively healthy the whole time. ). He did recruit Strong and Grice who were pretty major pieces of his ten win seasons so I'll give him that.
3. Defense hasn't really improved after returning everyone.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:
ztonyg wrote: His stock is fairly high right now
UA
1-7 vs. LA teams
1-2 vs. rival ASU

Defense ranked below 100th in the last 2 years out of 127 teams.

3 embarrassing conference blowouts just this year.

UM
0-3 vs. tOSU (one of the biggest rivalries in the nation)
0-3 vs. MSU

1 winning conference record the last 7 years of coaching.

If I was him I would just take the money if someone wants him so bad. The ACC is much less competitive than the PAC-12. With the resurgence of both UCLA and USC, Arizona will be fighting for 3rd place each year in the PAC-12 south with ASU for some crappy money losing bowl.
Honestly, the above means next to nothing to me because he took over a team that had next to nothing except a 5th year senior QB and a RB that was "only Tucson good". Still won 8 games and all 8 games were won because of what we did offensively. The next year he takes a QB that nobody wanted and still won 8 games which in my book is what makes him the best coach that Arizona has ever had. No other coach wins 8 games with Denker at QB and seriously wonder if any other coach would have even played Denker. Then LY he wins 10 games when we were projected to win 7-8 and finish 4th in our division. Do we even sniff the division if all we had was a good D LY and a mediocre offense?

I mention all of that because you can't win the division or the conference today with just a good defense (see Stanford and UW LY). You win with a very good offense and at worst a top 4 in the conference D. I would also add, how many division crowns and or conference championships has SC, Ucla and Assu won in the last 3 years? Exactly.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

dc4azcats wrote: You win with a very good offense and at worst a top 4 in the conference D.
I agree completely. Let's get that.

I make arguments against our current D and D Coordinator, but I'm not looking for a top ten defense. Heck, I'm probably not even looking for a top 25 defense.

But you can't be triple digits. That is untenable.

Make the necessary changes. Become the legit year in year out contender we are all dying for.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

catinfl wrote:
1. he kind of has to stay at asu for a bit after jumping around so much. Not really respected in coaching circles.
2. Hasn't won with just his recruits yet (neither has RR but RR walked into a much worse situation and has had injuries this year, while asu has been relatively healthy the whole time. ). He did recruit Strong and Grice who were pretty major pieces of his ten win seasons so I'll give him that.
1. He is coaching his 4th season at ASU. He has plenty of respect in coaching circles. He is not interested in jobs like VT, Maryland, or South Carolina because he has no roots in those areas and has been clear he doesn't want to live there. He has acknowledged taking the Pitt job was a mistake as it was not an area his family ever wanted to live in. Jobs in Oklahoma and Texas are absolutely jobs he would drop ASU for. Maryland? Not a chance. RR is from the areas in question. There is good reason he might have interest.
2. He also recruited Chris Young, who led the team in tackles in '13 when they won the South, as well as Damarious Randall (1st round pick), and Marcus Hardison (4th round pick).
3. As pointed out above, ASU lost two NFL caliber players on the defense. The rush defense has actually improved substantially (currently #2 in the PAC). The pass defense is currently sitting at #11, only better than Oregon. Not surprising when they replaced an NFL 1st rounder with a true freshman who is better suited to play CB. (Alex Perry was supposed to be filling that role this season but has missed most of the year to an injury).
Scummy Dick Douglas

To be fair, there is a misconception nationally when it comes to the ASU job. Kind of falls in line with the "sleeping giant" nonsense that has been prevalent in the media for years.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
catinfl wrote:
1. He is coaching his 4th season at ASU. He has plenty of respect in coaching circles. He is not interested in jobs like VT, Maryland, or South Carolina because he has no roots in those areas and has been clear he doesn't want to live there. He has acknowledged taking the Pitt job was a mistake as it was not an area his family ever wanted to live in. Jobs in Oklahoma and Texas are absolutely jobs he would drop ASU for. Maryland? Not a chance. RR is from the areas in question. There is good reason he might have interest.
2. He also recruited Chris Young, who led the team in tackles in '13 when they won the South, as well as Damarious Randall (1st round pick), and Marcus Hardison (4th round pick).
3. As pointed out above, ASU lost two NFL caliber players on the defense. The rush defense has actually improved substantially (currently #2 in the PAC). The pass defense is currently sitting at #11, only better than Oregon. Not surprising when they replaced an NFL 1st rounder with a true freshman who is better suited to play CB. (Alex Perry was supposed to be filling that role this season but has missed most of the year to an injury).
Scummy with the spin. He called this his best team ever and even more amazing is some folks actually bought it. He lost what little creditability he had when he told Herbie and others how good this team was going to be TY. Herbie even had Berco going to NY for Heisman ceremony not to mention Assu making the Final Four. And you think he's respected? Good one. You don't get respect when everything you say is BS.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think most of us would be ecstatic with a 50th percentile defense. Right now the Cats are 109th in total defense, with 125th in red zone defense being a real black eye on the D.

Believe last year the Cats were still 100th or so with Scooby.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

[quote="dc4azcats" how many division crowns and or conference championships has SC, Ucla and Assu won in the last 3 years? Exactly.[/quote]

DC you should of said the last four division crowds of being UCLA(2), ASU and UA each with (1) and combine for the south with Zero PAC 12 title in the last four match up. USC shouldn't be in that conversation if the media keep picking them to win it every year and also falling to meet that expectation and beside it doesn't give them an excuse because they were on sanctions most of those year. While in North division crown has been Stanford and Oregon with the combine of 4 PAC 12 title.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:I think most of us would be ecstatic with a 50th percentile defense. Right now the Cats are 109th in total defense, with 125th in red zone defense being a real black eye on the D.

Believe last year the Cats were still 100th or so with Scooby.

Some where between 50th and 70th would be more respectable.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

cordera89 wrote:Some where between 50th and 70th would be more respectable.
Just to expand on that, my guess is if we averaged around 50 or so we would be a legit contender for the PAC South championship every year and we would be much more of a legit match up with the North in the Championship game when we got there.

That doesn't seem like too much to ask. 50 or so.
Scummy Dick Douglas

dc4azcats wrote:
catinfl wrote:
Scummy with the spin. He called this his best team ever and even more amazing is some folks actually bought it. He lost what little creditability he had when he told Herbie and others how good this team was going to be TY. Herbie even had Berco going to NY for Heisman ceremony not to mention Assu making the Final Four. And you think he's respected? Good one. You don't get respect when everything you say is BS.
You sound like a scorned ASU fan. He called this team his best ever, just like he called each team the year before that his best ever. Its how he talks- constant hyperbole. Do you really think Herbie and the other national "experts" that picked ASU as a darkhorse this year came to their conclusions because of what Graham said? People thought Berco was going to be a Heisman candidate because of the ridiculous numbers he put up in 3 starts, (forgetting his top two targets from last years weren't available to him this season). Vegas had ASU going 7-5 prior to this season.

You can argue ASU has underperformed this season, but I think its just as easy to argue that ASU overachieved the last couple of years (especially last year). Having a down year in his 4th season is not unheard of.

Take a look at a few notable coaches and how they did in their 4th seasons (and keep this in mind for those rushing to judge RR in his 4th season):

Gary Patterson
'01- 6-6
'02- 10-2
'03- 11-2
'04- 5-6

Les Miles
'05- 11-2
'06- 11-2
'07- 12-2
'08- 8-5

David Shaw
'11- 11-2
'12- 12-2
'13- 11-3
'14- 8-5

Nick Saban went 10-3 in his fourth season at Alabama. While still good, it is his worst season to date at Bama, finishing 4th in the SEC west.

Obviously there are plenty of examples of coaches doing very well in their 4th seasons. Just pointing out having a rough 4th year is not indicative of much.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

That notion of a national championship is one Graham takes seriously enough that he plastered the phrase in gratuitous fashion all over Arizona State’s football facility as soon as he got there. Another of the rubber bracelets on his wrist reads “NC-16” (shorthand, obviously, for National Champions 2016). That may seem a bit ardent when you’re coaching a program that’s played in only one Rose Bowl since 1987, but Graham doesn’t see it that way: “Why would you not have a goal of that?” Graham says. “Is that abnormal thinking? Maybe. Is it elite thinking? Yes.”
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015- ... rodriguez/" target="_blank

Thats why Graham isnt being taken seriously for any of the open jobs. When you keep selling lemons, people stop buying cars from you.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Gilbertcat wrote:
That notion of a national championship is one Graham takes seriously enough that he plastered the phrase in gratuitous fashion all over Arizona State’s football facility as soon as he got there. Another of the rubber bracelets on his wrist reads “NC-16” (shorthand, obviously, for National Champions 2016). That may seem a bit ardent when you’re coaching a program that’s played in only one Rose Bowl since 1987, but Graham doesn’t see it that way: “Why would you not have a goal of that?” Graham says. “Is that abnormal thinking? Maybe. Is it elite thinking? Yes.”

Thats why Graham isnt being taken seriously for any of the open jobs. When you keep selling lemons, people stop buying cars from you.
Selling lemons? Its seems like everyone but some ASU and UA fans can see Grahams comments for what they really are: coach speak. The article you posted even states:

"None of the things Graham shares with me is exactly breaking news: As it is with every major-college football coach, there is a loose script Graham adheres to when speaking to reporters..."
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Gilbertcat wrote:

Selling lemons? Its seems like everyone but some ASU and UA fans can see Grahams comments for what they really are: coach speak. The article you posted even states:

"None of the things Graham shares with me is exactly breaking news: As it is with every major-college football coach, there is a loose script Graham adheres to when speaking to reporters..."
FAIL, read some of your fans posts, he sold lemons, couldnt steal enough signs to be better then 4-5 and he is who he is. Selling lemons

Bright side, someone finally got to him and made him change his 90's boy band mic to look like a real coach.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Gilbertcat wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:

FAIL, read some of your fans posts, he sold lemons, couldnt steal enough signs to be better then 4-5 and he is who he is. Selling lemons

Bright side, someone finally got to him and made him change his 90's boy band mic to look like a real coach.
Fan posts? You must be looking at free boards somewhere. I have access to premium content for ASU sports, and can assure you those who are upset are the few who actually thought ASU was going to win the PAC this year (emphasis on "the few"). Most of us had ASU between 7-5 and 9-3, with 8-4 being the average.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I will say those are interesting numbers in year 4 for a bunch of really good coaches. Must show the difficulties in year 1 with respect to recruitinging. Not sure what else would create the fall off like that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

...Anyways that is why he is not in the discussion. Its hard to sell a new school on an under-performing coach who has baggage of leaving your school overnight and now the sign stealing issue. RR never over promised, always used the "why not" Arizona slogan. Doesnt always work but it comes off a lot better.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think it also shows the difficulties in coaching changes as it relates to the roster. A new coach is inevitably going to run guys off, most of them unintentionally. Some kids just can't handle the new culture so they leave. Year 4 is when the guys who should be your upperclassmen should be taking over and you lose a bunch of them over the first couple of years of a new regime.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dc4azcats wrote:
catinfl wrote:
You sound like a scorned ASU fan. He called this team his best ever, just like he called each team the year before that his best ever. Its how he talks- constant hyperbole. Do you really think Herbie and the other national "experts" that picked ASU as a darkhorse this year came to their conclusions because of what Graham said? People thought Berco was going to be a Heisman candidate because of the ridiculous numbers he put up in 3 starts, (forgetting his top two targets from last years weren't available to him this season). Vegas had ASU going 7-5 prior to this season.

You can argue ASU has underperformed this season, but I think its just as easy to argue that ASU overachieved the last couple of years (especially last year). Having a down year in his 4th season is not unheard of.

Take a look at a few notable coaches and how they did in their 4th seasons (and keep this in mind for those rushing to judge RR in his 4th season):

Gary Patterson
'01- 6-6
'02- 10-2
'03- 11-2
'04- 5-6

Les Miles
'05- 11-2
'06- 11-2
'07- 12-2
'08- 8-5

David Shaw
'11- 11-2
'12- 12-2
'13- 11-3
'14- 8-5

Nick Saban went 10-3 in his fourth season at Alabama. While still good, it is his worst season to date at Bama, finishing 4th in the SEC west.

Obviously there are plenty of examples of coaches doing very well in their 4th seasons. Just pointing out having a rough 4th year is not indicative of much.
Do you actually read what you write? I've yet to hear any of the coaches above say every year that this is my best team ever? The question was asked why CTG isn't considered for any of the openings and the reason given was his creditability has been questioned and rightfully so. Do you really think Herbie and the other national "experts" that picked ASU as a darkhorse this year came to their conclusions because of what Graham said? Yes I do, especially after back to back 10 win seasons. Nobody inside the Pac12 had Assu winning the conference, going to the FF and Berco sniffing the Heisman which tells me that the national guys totally bought into his BS. Again, the guy is not respected and he has no creditability. VT and others are looking at a coach in Morris at SMU who's team is 1-8 yet CTG can't get a sniff? Really?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Its probably just me but it seems the RR going to "Insert School" talk has died down. A lot of what I have read is that other schools have interest but another coach is topping their list. Maybe I am just drunk but hopefully this calms the inner circles down and they can focus on football this weekend.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Let's get real... Rich Rod name gets more mention in the media for a few reasons. First, he is a nationally recognized coach because of his success at WVU and subsequent hiring at Michigan. Todd Graham is not a household name.

Second, RR has strong ties to the region where said jobs are located, including some past working relationships with key individuals at said institutions.

As for 'baggage'.. RR carries more in the eyes of your casual fan not tied to any of the schools involved. His shredding of recruiting documents upon leaving WVU, and fight over his contract buyout, were MUCH more publicized than Turd's embarrassing departure from Pitt. Graham is pretty under the radar outside of Pitt and Arizona.

Graham is indeed a gratuitous bullshit artist and walking cliche, no doubt. Which really makes the fact that he is kicking our ass in AZ recruiting all that more hard to take.
Scummy Dick Douglas

dc4azcats wrote:Do you actually read what you write? I've yet to hear any of the coaches above say every year that this is my best team ever? The question was asked why CTG isn't considered for any of the openings and the reason given was his creditability has been questioned and rightfully so. Do you really think Herbie and the other national "experts" that picked ASU as a darkhorse this year came to their conclusions because of what Graham said? Yes I do, especially after back to back 10 win seasons. Nobody inside the Pac12 had Assu winning the conference, going to the FF and Berco sniffing the Heisman which tells me that the national guys totally bought into his BS. Again, the guy is not respected and he has no creditability. VT and others are looking at a coach in Morris at SMU who's team is 1-8 yet CTG can't get a sniff? Really?
Have you actually listened to what any of those coaches have said? I have not. Mainly because I don't put much stock in anything college football coaches tell the media. It baffles me that you are so emotionally invested in what Todd Graham says to the media. It is pretty naive to think the national media makes their picks based on the words of a football coach. Obviously, their picks are pretty uniformed.

Re: your belief that Grahams comments about his team were the driving factor behind national "experts" picking them as a playoff contender. - Your logic is so flawed I am not sure where to start. If ASU was hyped because of a coaches comments, why were all the other teams hyped that failed to meet preseason expectations? In particular: Auburn and USC.

I actually know for a fact the reality is the exact opposite of what you state above. Graham is very respected in coaching circles. There are many members of the media that don't like the guy, (and I can understand why). TG is always speaking publicly in hyperbole, and it can be annoying, but you greatly exaggerate the effect it has. There are a few vocal uniformed ASU fans (and apparently UA fans as well) that get bent out of shape over the "best ever" comments. TG has been speaking that way since the day he arrived in Tempe. He privately coaches his players very hard, and publicly praises them as the best ever. Its what he does.

My reason for posting the different coaches year 4 records is not to somehow dispute Grahams "best ever" comments. My reason for posting those records is to show people that taking a step back in W/L's in year 4 is nothing to freak out about. It has happened to some very good coaches, and it is happening to both coaches in AZ.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

SCCats wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Some where between 50th and 70th would be more respectable.
Just to expand on that, my guess is if we averaged around 50 or so we would be a legit contender for the PAC South championship every year and we would be much more of a legit match up with the North in the Championship game when we got there.

That doesn't seem like too much to ask. 50 or so.

That if Casteel has a veteran unit on Defense and change up his play calling and start recruitand developed his defense unit.
If those cards play right, then I can see our defense being somewhere in top 50 to 70 category.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

azgreg wrote:
Puerco wrote:Don't see a change option. TOS definitely had that function, though.
wyo-cat wrote:
Puerco wrote:Oops, read the poll question wrong. Move my 'Yes and that makes me happy' vote to the opposite, please! I think he'll stay, and I think he's a good fit for the UA. Got to improve that defense though.

If he leaves this season, he's a selfish creep with no values.
I'm pretty sure you can change your own vote until it closes. I remember some of the shenanigans during the hot or not showdown.
I fixed the poll to allow for posters to change their votes.
Done. Thanks, Greg.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

RR is gone. We now have another program, Mizzou, that has an open spot and there are other premier jobs that will possibly open up due to the coaching carousel such as OU, GA, and others. If RR is ever gonna leave, this would be the year because he will be able to demand a premium and get closer to his "cherished" East Coast. I am resigned to the fact that even if we get a great coach here, they will just use us as a stepping stone to go to a better job. :roll:
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UALoco wrote:RR is gone. We now have another program, Mizzou, that has an open spot and there are other premier jobs that will possibly open up due to the coaching carousel such as OU, GA, and others. If RR is ever gonna leave, this would be the year because he will be able to demand a premium and get closer to his "cherished" East Coast. I am resigned to the fact that even if we get a great coach here, they will just use us as a stepping stone to go to a better job. :roll:
And that the reason you think RR is gone because Mizzou is losing their HC to heath reason. I getting sick of tired of hearing about him going back to EC. Does RR show any desire to leave Arizona, Does he show any desire that he want to be back in EC. Every freaky time it EC this , EC that, EC better than WC, He not going to leave a stronger conference for a lesser conference. He not going to leave Arizona after 4 season. If you want to think he going to leave then go up and vote on him leaving.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

UALoco wrote:RR is gone. We now have another program, Mizzou, that has an open spot and there are other premier jobs that will possibly open up due to the coaching carousel such as OU, GA, and others. If RR is ever gonna leave, this would be the year because he will be able to demand a premium and get closer to his "cherished" East Coast. I am resigned to the fact that even if we get a great coach here, they will just use us as a stepping stone to go to a better job. :roll:
The only people who really know the answer to that question is RR and his wife Rita. It's been pretty tight lipped recently from inside McKale to inside LSFF and anybody who says they know is purely speculating. Does the Missouri job change anything other than it's another opening? Not really as I don't think he's looking for any job that comes open. I think one way or the other, tomorrow night will be telling. Lot's of visitors are in town and important visitors at that and no doubt the number one question on most of these guys minds will be "what's up with RR and is he staying"? I also think how the team plays will be telling as well.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

cordera89 wrote:
And that the reason you think RR is gone because Mizzou is losing their HC to heath reason. I getting sick of tired of hearing about him going back to EC. Does RR show any desire to leave Arizona, Does he show any desire that he want to be back in EC. Every freaky time it EC this , EC that, EC better than WC, He not going to leave a stronger conference for a lesser conference. He not going to leave Arizona after 4 season. If you want to think he going to leave then go up and vote on him leaving.
No, I don't think the Mizzou opening is the reason. I've felt he was leaving as soon as the VT job opened up, he ended up on the short list, and didn't stand up and say that he is at AZ for the long haul. The silence says everything I need to know. I know strategically that takes away his bargaining chip for better pay, I don't care, he doesn't have to bargain if we win. BTW.. I think I was the 2nd or 3rd person to vote that he was leaving. I drank the kool-aid on RR but I am starting to sour on him...and I reserve the right to change my mind.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

UALoco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
No, I don't think the Mizzou opening is the reason. I've felt he was leaving as soon as the VT job opened up, he ended up on the short list, and didn't stand up and say that he is at AZ for the long haul. The silence says everything I need to know. I know strategically that takes away his bargaining chip for better pay, I don't care, he doesn't have to bargain if we win. BTW.. I think I was the 2nd or 3rd person to vote that he was leaving. I drank the kool-aid on RR but I am starting to sour on him...and I reserve the right to change my mind.
Did he, though? Or is that speculation?

Why would you expect RR to comment on internet rumors? That'd just validate them.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
UALoco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Why would you expect RR to comment on internet rumors? That'd just validate them.
Even if it not the reason but the media will damn sure try to make every possible outlet to get RR attention on Mizzou opening. As for the VT Job I going to keep on saying it no matter what. Does any one at VT even considering RR as their first choice except for the AD. Does RR have any desire of wanting to go back to EC. I wish he did stand up and just say I'm not interest in VT or any other jobs that I'm happily of being Arizona HC. I really wish he said that just to the nail in the coffin. He not going to leave after disappointed season. If he does it a slap in face to everyone.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UALoco wrote: I've felt he was leaving as soon as the VT job opened up, he ended up on the short list
That's only speculation that he's on the short list. We don't know. As for him leaving because VT is open, it's not like he can just up and say, "Welp, I'm outta here, gonna go back east and coach the Hokies." He has to have an offer first. There's no real way for him to address the speculation other than what he has either.

As I said before, I don't know if he leaves or not. He very well might. But I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows except RR.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Why does the saying, "Either you are 100% in or 100% out" apply to everyone except the head coach?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

cordera89 wrote:
UALoco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

Even if it not the reason but the media will damn sure try to make every possible outlet to get RR attention on Mizzou opening. As for the VT Job I going to keep on saying it no matter what. Does any one at VT even considering RR as their first choice except for the AD. Does RR have any desire of wanting to go back to EC. I wish he did stand up and just say I'm not interest in VT or any other jobs that I'm happily of being Arizona HC. I really wish he said that just to the nail in the coffin. He not going to leave after disappointed season. If he does it a slap in face to everyone.
Why comment if he hasn't been offered? Is he suppose to comment on every job that comes open? Honestly, his best move is to do what he's doing which is make no comment at all. Why say "I'm not going anywhere" and then he gets an offer that he can't say no too? Everybody would be all over him for saying he wasn't leaving - even if it was an offer that Arizona couldn't match. Now, he could come out and say my son is a senior in HS and I want to see him finish HS here in Tucson, so I'm not going anywhere. Which is what I would do, but he's obviously thought the different scenarios through if he gets an offer he feels he can't refuse. Whatever that may be?
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

UALoco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
That's my thought as well.

If RR wanted to end this, he could have. The players would be more comfortable and the fans would be more comfortable.

He's deliberately chosen to let the speculation and rumors continue. That's exactly why I believe he is not staying.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

ztonyg wrote:
UALoco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

If RR wanted to end this, he could have. The players would be more comfortable and the fans would be more comfortable.

He's deliberately chosen to let the speculation and rumors continue. That's exactly why I believe he is not staying.
If there was an internet rumor that RR liked to dress up as a racoon at night and rummage through his neighbors garbage, would you automatically assume it was true if he didn't address it?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

ztonyg wrote:
UALoco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

If there was an internet rumor that RR liked to dress up as a racoon at night and rummage through his neighbors garbage, would you automatically assume it was true if he didn't address it?
:lol: If it is on the internet, it must be true.

Go Cats!!
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dc4azcats wrote:Do you actually read what you write? I've yet to hear any of the coaches above say every year that this is my best team ever? The question was asked why CTG isn't considered for any of the openings and the reason given was his creditability has been questioned and rightfully so. Do you really think Herbie and the other national "experts" that picked ASU as a darkhorse this year came to their conclusions because of what Graham said? Yes I do, especially after back to back 10 win seasons. Nobody inside the Pac12 had Assu winning the conference, going to the FF and Berco sniffing the Heisman which tells me that the national guys totally bought into his BS. Again, the guy is not respected and he has no creditability. VT and others are looking at a coach in Morris at SMU who's team is 1-8 yet CTG can't get a sniff? Really?
Have you actually listened to what any of those coaches have said? I have not. Mainly because I don't put much stock in anything college football coaches tell the media. It baffles me that you are so emotionally invested in what Todd Graham says to the media. It is pretty naive to think the national media makes their picks based on the words of a football coach. Obviously, their picks are pretty uniformed.

Re: your belief that Grahams comments about his team were the driving factor behind national "experts" picking them as a playoff contender. - Your logic is so flawed I am not sure where to start. If ASU was hyped because of a coaches comments, why were all the other teams hyped that failed to meet preseason expectations? In particular: Auburn and USC.

I actually know for a fact the reality is the exact opposite of what you state above. Graham is very respected in coaching circles. There are many members of the media that don't like the guy, (and I can understand why). TG is always speaking publicly in hyperbole, and it can be annoying, but you greatly exaggerate the effect it has. There are a few vocal uniformed ASU fans (and apparently UA fans as well) that get bent out of shape over the "best ever" comments. TG has been speaking that way since the day he arrived in Tempe. He privately coaches his players very hard, and publicly praises them as the best ever. Its what he does.

My reason for posting the different coaches year 4 records is not to somehow dispute Grahams "best ever" comments. My reason for posting those records is to show people that taking a step back in W/L's in year 4 is nothing to freak out about. It has happened to some very good coaches, and it is happening to both coaches in AZ.
You "actually know for a fact" that CTG is respected in coaching circles? I'm sure his son getting axed helped in that regard :roll: . You being the alleged source that CTG is respected does absolutely nothing to change my mind. So, is CTG going to be mentioned for the Mizzou job since he is so highly respected?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

dc4azcats wrote:
Have you actually listened to what any of those coaches have said? I have not. Mainly because I don't put much stock in anything college football coaches tell the media. It baffles me that you are so emotionally invested in what Todd Graham says to the media. It is pretty naive to think the national media makes their picks based on the words of a football coach. Obviously, their picks are pretty uniformed. Has be mentioned for any of the open jobs?

You "actually know for a fact" that CTG is respected in coaching circles? I'm sure his son getting axed helped in that regard :roll: . You being the alleged source that CTG is respected does absolutely nothing to change my mind. So, is CTG going to be mentioned for the Mizzou job since he is so highly respected?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UALoco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

That point has some validity. Although if in your mind "commenting on Internet rumors" is the equivalent of "validating them"... didn't Byrne's weekly e-mail commenting on the rumors validate them?

You cannot have it both ways... and therein lies the reason many of us took Byrne's e-mail as an indication that RR might indeed have one foot out the door.

That assumes he is afforded the right opportunity, and I am not sure that he will be.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UALoco wrote:Why does the saying, "Either you are 100% in or 100% out" apply to everyone except the head coach?
That's a fair point, too. Although head coaches rarely (if ever) operate under the same rules as the players beneath them. They demand loyalty, commitment, and respect; they may or may not offer it up to those above them.

Bobby Knight is the extreme example and poster child of the " Do as I say and not as I do" phenomenon.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ztonyg wrote:
UALoco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

It's nowhere close to the same thing, but I think you know that.

Ignore the elephant in the room all you want; it's not going to help make it disappear.

I WILL say that I would MUCH prefer RR to say nothing than give the obligatory "I am not going anywhere" only to turn around and leave 2 weeks later - like so many coaches have done.

My hope is that if he plans on leaving that he gives Byrne as much notice as possible... And I believe that will be the case.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote: My hope is that if he plans on leaving that he gives Byrne as much notice as possible... And I believe that will be the case.
I do too, and if RR is thinking about leaving Byrne probably knows. I know it's not required, but many ADs ask permission of other ADs if they want to speak to their coach. Agents probably not so much.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Lol, Todd Graham is not respected whatsoever. There's a reason why the other PAC coaches are constantly trolling him. He is an insufferable douchebag. Hence why he is perfect for ASU.
Scummy Dick Douglas

splitsecond wrote:Lol, Todd Graham is not respected whatsoever. There's a reason why the other PAC coaches are constantly trolling him. He is an insufferable douchebag. Hence why he is perfect for ASU.
Who is trolling him? Mike Leach? Haha, come one man. You can do better than that. Do you consider Bill Belichick to be a respected coach?

"I love Coach Graham," Belichick said. "Coach Graham does a great job. He's a good friend of mine. I really respect the job he's done with this program. I've never been to a quarterback meeting with Coach Graham, but I imagine he's pretty demanding. If I know Coach, he's pretty demanding."

But wait, theres more...

"Even better, Belichick said he personally takes scouting trips to Tempe just to visit with Graham, often relegating his underlings elsewhere. They share a defensive background and the pursuit of excellence, and an ASU representative said they talk on the phone all the time."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /22436601/