Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: Coach Rod

Post by chiefzona »

In defense of Scheer....this is his worst nightmare. He had good repoire with the staff and he was comfortable. Now if there is a new hire, he has to hold onto subscribers that are fed up, plus find another insider/info guy. I'll bet Scheer isn't too happy right about now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:He definitely interviewed. The problem is that he told the team that he wouldn't interview until after the bowl game.The team is allegedly pissed. He needs to go.
If that's true, that's a big hit his moral authority with the people under his leadership. It would suggest he has a tendency to make promises he can't (or doesn't intend to keep).

Cueing in the responses that the team never should have. Expected him to keep that promise in 3... 2... 1...
I'll wait for a reliable source to confirm that first before commenting on just how shitty that move would be.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Look at scheers timestamps.

He interviewed.

Hit the road RR.
At lunchtime, Scheer (over)confident that Rich Rod would not be interviewing unless he was sure to get the job, and it wasn't happening today... And before dinner he reverses course to confirm what actual journalists were reporting earlier. :lol:

Yeah... his inside sources are solid.
He did say South Carolina had moved on yesterday I think. I'll stop. And thing called Internet or a Phone allows you to interview remotely. It's not like RR not well known, know what he looks like and his history. RR just needs to present a plan on how he would proceed at South Carolina.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Look at scheers timestamps.

He interviewed.

Hit the road RR.
At lunchtime, Scheer (over)confident that Rich Rod would not be interviewing unless he was sure to get the job, and it wasn't happening today... And before dinner he reverses course to confirm what actual journalists were reporting earlier. :lol:

Yeah... his inside sources are solid.
Scheer is the Jamelle Horne of fan site moderators.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:He definitely interviewed. The problem is that he told the team that he wouldn't interview until after the bowl game.The team is allegedly pissed. He needs to go.
If that's true, that's a big hit his moral authority with the people under his leadership. It would suggest he has a tendency to make promises he can't (or doesn't intend to keep).

Cueing in the responses that the team never should have. Expected him to keep that promise in 3... 2... 1...

It's definitely true. The problem I see is that RR has all these stipulations and plays hardball and hardedge with the players and then goes and does this. I am friends with some of the player's parents and their is complete distrust and the parents are sick about this. Sure, many coaches have done this and look at what Graham pulled but RR had a good trusting relationship with his players. That's in jeopardy now.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is why you shouldn't say things like "I want to retire here." when you first get the job. Something like this happens and you look like a sleazy used car salesman. If he really did interview today and stays here, how does he expect people to trust him on how committed he is? Press conference should be fun.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:In defense of Scheer....this is his worst nightmare. He had good repoire with the staff and he was comfortable. Now if there is a new hire, he has to hold onto subscribers that are fed up, plus find another insider/info guy. I'll bet Scheer isn't too happy right about now.
I am not French... but I suspect he also has good rapport with the current staff.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

AZCatGirl wrote:This is why you shouldn't say things like "I want to retire here." when you first get the job. Something like this happens and you look like a sleazy used car salesman. If he really did interview today and stays here, how does he expect people to trust him on how committed he is? Press conference should be fun.
It is an honest mistake a youthful person could easily make in the exuberance of the moment.

For someone who is well beyond an age that might be considered youthful, and with the scars to prove it, it is gratuitously Grahamesque and not much different than proclaiming "This is my dream job".
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

It's definitely true. The problem I see is that RR has all these stipulations and plays hardball and hardedge with the players and then goes and does this. I am friends with some of the player's parents and their is complete distrust and the parents are sick about this. Sure, many coaches have done this and look at what Graham pulled but RR had a good trusting relationship with his players. That's in jeopardy now.
GB should make it easy on RR, and fire him when he steps into the office first thing, tomorrow. Recruiting on Arizona's dime and pulling this.

Won't happen because GB is a better person than me, but thats what should happen.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Harvey Specter wrote:
chiefzona wrote:In defense of Scheer....this is his worst nightmare. He had good repoire with the staff and he was comfortable. Now if there is a new hire, he has to hold onto subscribers that are fed up, plus find another insider/info guy. I'll bet Scheer isn't too happy right about now.
I am not French... but I suspect he also has good rapport with the current staff.

Haha. It's not even a French word. Rapport.....damn autocorrect
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

GB should make it easy on RR, and fire him when he steps into the office first thing, tomorrow. Recruiting on Arizona's dime and pulling this.

Won't happen because GB is a better person than me, but thats what should happen.
We need to see where it goes... But if Byrne offers one red cent in terms of a raise to keep him here, I lose a good bit of respect for Byrne. Providing additional money for his assistants would be a different story.

I guess we also might find out just how loyal to Casteel RR really is...
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

He went and said he would go to to NtUSC for an insane amount of money and than they started talking. If somebody is throwing money in your face you will listen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:We need to see where it goes... But if Byrne offers one red cent in terms of a raise to keep him here, I lose a good bit of respect for Byrne. Providing additional money for his assistants would be a different story.

I guess we also might find out just how loyal to Casteel RR really is...
Good take.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I think we can mostly agree. Byrne did his part to move AZ football foward under RR. He secured NEZ, Sancet, pay increases for RR and some staff, longevity plan, adjusted longevity plan to pay RR faster, Paid RR well even on a national scale, turf and gave him space to make it his program. Autonomy and minimal politics. Things what RR complained about at WV and Michigan

Whether RR told players not until after bowl game (unrealistic and glad he didn't for AZ sake. Time to replace, signing date, recruits) or not. Seems pretty clear RR wants to pursue this. Not blaming him. Is what it is. IF RR stays because he doesn't get an offer then fine. But look at the 3-3-5 thread and RR staying Poll. Most wanted him to stay in spite of his defense. But the Defense growing in wearing on the fan base.. Have another season like this season and the fans will turn. And this episode will be a major factor (not all) why it did. Business is Business.
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Msg'd Bryne on his Facebook pg. Posts have been read. Basically saying if interview is confirmed, I'll no longer be supporting Wildcat football with RR at the helm. Guy is a Phoney and want nothing to do with him. New facilities, bump in pay just last year, after flirting with Louisville.
Please Greg be bold and shit can the loser!!
Like very much what I've learned about Dino but think he and Syracuse may be close.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:He went and said he would go to to NtUSC for an insane amount of money and than they started talking. If somebody is throwing money in your face you will listen.
He allegedly told his players he would not interview for any jobs until after the bowl game. That would have been either a stupid or disingenuous promise to make.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I think we can mostly agree. Byrne did his part to move AZ football foward under RR. He secured NEZ, Sancet, pay increases for RR and some staff, longevity plan, adjusted longevity plan to pay RR faster, Paid RR well even on a national scale, turf and gave him space to make it his program. Autonomy and minimal politics. Things what RR complained about at WV and Michigan

Whether RR told players not until after bowl game (unrealistic and glad he didn't for AZ sake. Time to replace, signing date, recruits) or not. Seems pretty clear RR wants to pursue this. Not blaming him. Is what it is. IF RR stays because he doesn't get an offer then fine. But look at the 3-3-5 thread and RR staying Poll. Most wanted him to stay. Have another season like this season and the fans will turn. And this episode will be a major factor (not all) why it did. Business is Business.
I agree.

RR got everything he wanted from Arizona. If RR is not loyal to Arizona (and it certainly appears he isn't), I would actually love it if Byrne showed RR the door.

RR has one foot out anyways, might as well close it behind him and find someone who will actually commit to Tucson and the program.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Oh God, I forgot about the turf.

If he leaves and we get stuck with that garbage...ugh another gimmick
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Oh God, I forgot about the turf.

I hope the next coach "demands" a grass field.

We had a great grass field before that turf.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ztonyg wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Oh God, I forgot about the turf.

I hope the next coach "demands" a grass field.

We had a great grass field before that turf.

I'll admit that I loved the grass and miss it.
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Muschamp reportedly has resigned from Auburn http://www.yardbarker.com/college_footb ... 7_19996864
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Please god let this be true.

Win big next year with RR at the helm, he can bolt, but Arizona is on good footing. Lose or same type of season, can his ass.

My view is pragmatic, in that it would be a disaster for Arizona to look for a new coach at this point in the season.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

ztonyg wrote:Muschamp reportedly has resigned from Auburn http://www.yardbarker.com/college_footb ... 7_19996864
I don't see how he could go back. It would be comical if he isn't hired at SC.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe RR is leaving
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why is it a disaster for AZ to look for a new coach but it isn't for other schools? Virginia's coaching search went into today and they hit a home run.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:Why is it a disaster for AZ to look for a new coach but it isn't for other schools? Virginia's coaching search went into today and they hit a home run.

Big home run.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

OSUCat wrote:
ztonyg wrote:Muschamp reportedly has resigned from Auburn http://www.yardbarker.com/college_footb ... 7_19996864
I don't see how he could go back. It would be comical if he isn't hired at SC.
He has been rumored as the heir apparent at DC for both Bama and Georgia... I wouldn't read too much into this.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

If I'm Byrne, I'd give Jeff Brohm a call asap
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:Please god let this be true.

Win big next year with RR at the helm, he can bolt, but Arizona is on good footing. Lose or same type of season, can his ass.

My view is pragmatic, in that it would be a disaster for Arizona to look for a new coach at this point in the season.
I tend to lean this way as well...

I like Chi's optimism,and anything is possible - but I do not think we could be looking for a new HC at a more challenging moment.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Chicat wrote:Why is it a disaster for AZ to look for a new coach but it isn't for other schools? Virginia's coaching search went into today and they hit a home run.
In general of why I'm more neutral on what is going on is due to Bryne. Would like him to stay, if not it will be an exciting offseason!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Please god let this be true.

I tend to lean this way as well...

I like Chi's optimism,and anything is possible - but I do not think we could be looking for a new HC at a more challenging moment.
In Byrne I Trust
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ztonyg wrote:
RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:I think we can mostly agree. Byrne did his part to move AZ football foward under RR. He secured NEZ, Sancet, pay increases for RR and some staff, longevity plan, adjusted longevity plan to pay RR faster, Paid RR well even on a national scale, turf and gave him space to make it his program. Autonomy and minimal politics. Things what RR complained about at WV and Michigan

Whether RR told players not until after bowl game (unrealistic and glad he didn't for AZ sake. Time to replace, signing date, recruits) or not. Seems pretty clear RR wants to pursue this. Not blaming him. Is what it is. IF RR stays because he doesn't get an offer then fine. But look at the 3-3-5 thread and RR staying Poll. Most wanted him to stay. Have another season like this season and the fans will turn. And this episode will be a major factor (not all) why it did. Business is Business.
I agree.

RR got everything he wanted from Arizona. If RR is not loyal to Arizona (and it certainly appears he isn't), I would actually love it if Byrne showed RR the door.

RR has one foot out anyways, might as well close it behind him and find someone who will actually commit to Tucson and the program.
I am emotionally starting to lean this direction, but that would be a very costly move... between his buyout and the big fat retention plan we'd owe him. I suppose we could try and leech out like he did with WVU.

Or maybe Byrne could convince RR that 'retention plan thingy' was just something he dreamed up in an exuberant moment to make RR feel good.... But that it isn't possibly something RR could have expected to hold the University accountable to fulfill.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

It's not if RR leaves on his own. May be the best thing for Future at AZ
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I can't believe RR would interview unless he was getting that gig. Just can't see him being a #2 to a guy like Muschamp.

This thing is weird all the way around. Out seeing recruits, beating the bushes hard and then he fly's out to interview? Strange

Then he supposedly tells players he would not interview till after the bowl and goes against his word. Odd behavior
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Here he is winning the press conference. "This is my final coaching stop." 3:30 mark.

Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's where I'm at right now. If RR stays, great, because I like him and when things are going good it's exciting football. If he goes, great, because I have confidence in GB that he will make a good hire. Either way, it's golden.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe RR is leaving
I agree. A lot of rumors. And, even if he did talk to another school, so fcuking what? Lute Olson talked to 2 or 3 other schools, most notably Kentucky. If I recall correctly what he said, it was something like "I will always do them the courtesy of listening to them if they call. It would be silly (or maybe he said stupid) for me not to." Not at all different from this situation with RichRod. Any time someone comes to you with a proposition, you would really be stupid to not at least listen to what they are offering. As another poster said -- if my company's arch rival came and offered me the moon, I have a new favorite company. Not exact words, to be sure, but that's what it boils down to.

From what I have read, RR didn't go to anyone asking for a job. If someone contacted him from another school and if he listened to what they had to say, I wouldn't even call that an interview.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:Here's where I'm at right now. If RR stays, great, because I like him and when things are going good it's exciting football. If he goes, great, because I have confidence in GB that he will make a good hire. Either way, it's golden.
Right here with you Greg.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

This whole thing is very strange. It really is.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:I can't believe RR would interview unless he was getting that gig. Just can't see him being a #2 to a guy like Muschamp.

This thing is weird all the way around. Out seeing recruits, beating the bushes hard and then he fly's out to interview? Strange

Then he supposedly tells players he would not interview till after the bowl and goes against his word. Odd behavior
After further consideration, I am not laughing quite as hard at Muschamp. His record at UF was not as bad as I remembered it. Certainly not great - 1 very good season, 1 very bad, and 2 poor by UF standards.

In the eyes of America outside Tucson, Rodriguez is defined more by his abject and disastrous failure at UM, and medicroty in Tucson (with one nice season), than he is by the success he enjoyed in Morgantown a decade ago. Fans at UA value him more than just about anywhere else in the country.

And before others chime in with "why is he in demand from other schools" - I would not call a Plan C especially "in demand". And as far as Plan C's go - Rich Rod is a damn good one.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It fits with the rest of this day, chief, at least for me. Very strange.
illcat

Post by illcat »

Just lost a little respect for the man. If he interviews and then bolts he's nothing but a Mercenary and may the fleas of 10,000 camels infest his underwear.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And I can't believe Muschamp would resign at Auburn to takeeanother DC job given Malzahn might get canned next year and he could get that gig given how well his defense progressed this past year.

Got my bowl ticket request but I think I will wait and see what happens here and what really went down
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Once the so-called leader, head coach or whatever, goes back on their word, the ability to lead s lost. If in fact there were assurances on how any offers for interviews would be handled, namely not until bowl game or season were over, then ball game over if interview occurred.
Part of the reason I liked RR, was he appeared to be very principled in how he handled players. Got to walk the walk in my book.

Seems that I've seen on at least a few occasions in the articles about RR being a prospect for openings, that somewhere it would say that RR was known to have interest in returning to the East, so not sure you can conclude that the supposed interest in RR was unsolicited. Definitely was not the case with Lute.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

You've had some really bad posts in your day, but this is right up there. Chief, coaching staffs that are here at Arizona seek out guys like Scheer not the other way around. He runs a site that is all about recruiting so both the football and basketball sites feed him information and vice versa - stay with me on this - but they fed it to Gershon before him and will continue to do so if there's a new staff. Seriously, you couldn't be farther from the truth right now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dc4azcats wrote:
You've had some really bad posts in your day, but this is right up there. Chief, coaching staffs that are here at Arizona seek out guys like Scheer not the other way around. He runs a site that is all about recruiting so both the football and basketball sites feed him information and vice versa - stay with me on this - but they fed it to Gershon before him and will continue to do so if there's a new staff. Seriously, you couldn't be farther from the truth right now.
I know this to be true. When CSM came on board he immediately reached out to the local recruiting site operators. Needed to get up to speed in a hurry on which recruits were available on the west coast, who might not be solid in their commitments, and who were the AAU and High School coaches they needed to get to know immediately. What better resource than those who follow recruiting and the teams for a living?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:

DC-I know how it works. I'm not talking about the recruiting side of it. Good to see you post. Welcome back buddy. If anyone can get you out of the woodwork, it's me.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I have no idea whether you just guess at stuff or what but I don't think it's true that he interviewed. For a number of reasons. First of which is RR doesn't like to have his time wasted and with all the reports that Muschamp is the guy - why would he waste his time like that? Seriously. All the guys - Muschamp, RR, Schiano and Taggert are all represented by the same agency. So please explain why the agency who has Muschamp would also want RR "interviewing" for the same job when it's pretty clear that Muschamp is the guy? It's been Muschamp all along and the others are trying to either get a pay raise or continue to get their name out there (Schiano). Last is my source told me in a round about way - read through the lines - that RR isn't going anywhere. Just so you understand Chief, I'm not talking about my son who has graduated and now works for the Pac12 conference. I'm talking about a legit source who out of the blue and unsolicited sent me a few texts this afternoon in regards to RR.

I don't think any of that is in jeopardy and who can validate that it is true? Was somebody else in the office with RR? Did RR get on a plane today? No. Could he have had a phone conversation? Certainly could or couldn't have and if he did, I'm guessing it wasn't much of a conversation. Did an offer come from the alleged interview? Of course it didn't and one was never coming if Muschamp is and always has been the guy. Wanna bet that Ray Tanner says we offered one guy the job and that guy was Wil Muschamp? So please tell me again what's in jeopardy? You really are that guy who loves it when we lose (I see you dmjcat, you're still the poster child) so you rip the coaches and the program. Give it a freaking rest already. You're seriously not fooling anybody.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

DC-I know how it works. I'm not talking about the recruiting side of it. Good to see you post. Welcome back buddy. If anyone can get you out of the woodwork, it's me.
Yes you do, up until somebody checks what you're saying and you have to walk it back. I seriously don't get why you enjoy this so much? Not to mention that you're wrong most of the time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You know, I guess I just don't get as emotional about it as some. It's a business for coaches. It's the fans with the emotional investment.

I don't think you need to be more than a mercenary. What is Nick Saban but a mercenary? It's ok with his fan base because he wins.

RR will leave or stay. I care more about Arizona winning. It's not like that's not a mercenary thing too. Pick the nicest alumni we've got. I'd rather go undefeated with Todd Graham than winless with Tedy Bruschi.