Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:The absolute bottom line that can never be talked away, ran shallow cover for or intellectually rationalized is that every time you look at the sidelines next year and the year after that and see Rich Rod, you will know deep down inside that your HC is a guy that would rather be some place else.

This isn't even a guy looking for a big step up like Larry Smith did with USC. No, RR is willing take a mediocre job in (SC) that is nothing more than a lateral move to get out of Tucson.

All the thumb sucking apologist that run cover for their coaching gods will get your wish on the sideline next year.

Aside from what many of you think in this corrupted world of Orwellian think, words and statements still do hold meaning to most folks.

The OKG and any moral high ground that existed before is surely gone or subdued.

Make no bones about it, no one will ever believe RR is here for longer than the next opportunity that pops up for a another job, most importantly the recruits and parents. And without those special recruits, your goose is cooked.

Good luck, because with that never expiring open ended plane ticket that hangs around RR's neck every time you see him is now his defining albatross in recruiting for the rest of his time in Tucson.

Hiring the most talented guy for the job or the right guy for the job has never meant more than it does today.
Nailed it GladiatorCat! My thoughts exactly....we now need RR gone and need a new HC.....bummer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:Let me throw another wrench in the gears here. What if RichRod is just agreed to be polite and let the guy that got the job go back and take care of business at his school? He's just keeping his mouth shut so Muscamp can have some time with his players
Nah, if you know you're not getting the job you put out a statement saying you withdrew your name from consideration so you can save face.
If he did that everyone would pretty much know muchcamp got the job.
I doubt that would matter to RR or any other coach. Better to say you weren't interested than for people to think someone thinks another coach is demonstrably better.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

OSUCat wrote:The USC rivals site threads have changed from Muschamp to Rich Rod , but no one really knows.

I think it might be time to start that Coach Hot Board Thread.....
Someone start this thread anyway. I'm curious to see what names we can come up with.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dmjcat wrote:If RRod does bolt for more humid pastures then GByrne needs to be ready to strike.....and fast. The biggest Football issue at AZ has always been recruiting good players. Any potential coaching search that resembles South Carolinas (53 days and counting) and we would wind up with a recruiting class that would be composed of a couple of 2 Star "OKG"s who won't have any other FBS offers. Thats always been the single biggest issue with AZ coaching changes..........the piss poor recruiting class that follows takes 4-5 years to recover from. And its not as if RRod has been stacking the cupboard with studs.

We have already lost 2 DL's (which we can't afford to lose) and the current fiasco won't help matters any, even if RRod stays.
Sounds pretty much like maintaining the status quo to me, but it is pure coincidence that 95% of the teams that are perennially in the Top 25 also perennially have recruiting classes ranked in the Top 25.

Don't you know that Scooby Wright was a 2-star recruit without any other FBS offers? He was way better than any 4-5 star recruit that the big schools got. That is because the recruiting services don't know jack; Rich Rodriguez and Jeff Casteel took a private jet to Sanata Rosa to confirm he was still on board because they knew he wasn't really a 2-star!

We should realize that he knows more about evaluating talent than all the other coaches in college football combined. He won 8 games with BJ Denker and not even Nick Saban could do that!

Just prepping myself for the expectation that everyone building up how these last few classes were really better than they looked on paper (and how the talent and depth in the program was being upgraded) will be the ones who explain how the "cupboard is bare" and we should not expect to beat ASU until my 3rd grader is in graduate school.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

AZarchery wrote:
OSUCat wrote:The USC rivals site threads have changed from Muschamp to Rich Rod , but no one really knows.

I think it might be time to start that Coach Hot Board Thread.....
Someone start this thread anyway. I'm curious to see what names we can come up with.
Let me be the first do it... Chipper Kelly please! hahahaha.

Sadly Scott Frost would have been a nice hire but too late for that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harv, you seem to be pretty concerned with what other people and fans think. Does it really matter if someone doesn't trust recruiting services? The results on the field always tell the final story.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:Let me throw another wrench in the gears here. What if RichRod is just agreed to be polite and let the guy that got the job go back and take care of business at his school? He's just keeping his mouth shut so Muscamp can have some time with his players
Nah, if you know you're not getting the job you put out a statement saying you withdrew your name from consideration so you can save face.
If he did that everyone would pretty much know muchcamp got the job.
I doubt that would matter to RR or any other coach. Better to say you weren't interested than for people to think someone thinks another coach is demonstrably better.
I agree... Which is why I think RR is a PR disaster with the fanbase if he does not get this job... too late too get in front of it.

I have crossed the tipping point and now would rather see him leave. Leave the retention pool untouched, and let us use it to try and lure a hot prospect. Even with all the open jobs and competition for them - better to have that artillery in our arsenal than to let him cash in on it for sticking around past spring ball.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
So is that it? Or is that subject to change by tomorrow morning?
BibbysTowelDude

That's too bad.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Well....interesting...Its over.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

OSUCat wrote:Well....interesting...Its over.

Until West Virginia fires Holgerson...
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Cool. Glad it's over. On to the bowl game and next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well I'll see you guys next year when we're talking about the same damn thing again.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

So it sounds like Rich Rod was actually offered the position but ultimately said no.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
OSUCat wrote:Well....interesting...Its over.

Until West Virginia fires Holgerson...
Ha. right.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Are you sure about that. This doesn't prove that RR didn't get the job or is waiting to get offer, I want to know is this true or false.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

ProfessorFate wrote:So it sounds like Rich Rod was actually offered the position but ultimately said no.
That's big in my book
BibbysTowelDude

This is terrible news for Arizona Football. Oh well, OKG's to the rescue!
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

ProfessorFate wrote:So it sounds like Rich Rod was actually offered the position but ultimately said no.

That's Byrne's story, and he's sticking to it.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It confirm he staying
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Carry On and BearDown!
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

What ordeal that was. I wonder how piss is everyone right now after hearing that he staying.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASUHATER! wrote:I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe he is leaving.
Cough
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I have yet to see anything that leads me to believe he is leaving.
Cough
Let just enjoy the good news for know.
AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
Grant doesn't like rich rod?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:Harv, you seem to be pretty concerned with what other people and fans think. Does it really matter if someone doesn't trust recruiting services? The results on the field always tell the final story.
No Chi, I don't care what other fans think. I am not a dogmatic fan who buys all the BS that our coaches are selling with blind devotion - but that's just me.

I care that we get good players and succeed as a program. I care less about having a coach that is good in front of the camera than you do... you can rest assured tonight though - RR just tweeted out that he is happy to be a Wildcat.

I see that Byrne also tweeted that RR was offered the job and turned it down. That's seems a like a big FU to the South Carolina AD... not sure I have seen that before. I am guessing the AD told Byrne he would not go after RR and then changed his tune as the Cocks kept getting told "no".

I'll stand by what I have said for the last few days. So long as Byrne did not give him a penny more to return, I am happy he is staying. (And yes, that is a flip-flop from what I finally acknowledged switching to just minutes ago).

If Byrne gave him a raise to stay, my respect for GB just dropped considerably. If it did not happen, I am good.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

My favorite post so far from USC forums.

"Honk if you turned down gamecock coaching job !!!"
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Flight home?

Not possible... He did not really interview with SC. Other than maybe talking to them on the phone.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Wait till WVU and Clemson open up. It's just gonna be the same stuff over and over. This will be a very poignant season for him. I'll bet attendance takes a hit and he'll have to put a winning product on the field. Fasten your seat belts and hang on.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

WVU can still open this year. Aren't they happy in Clemson?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:Harv, you seem to be pretty concerned with what other people and fans think. Does it really matter if someone doesn't trust recruiting services? The results on the field always tell the final story.
No Chi, I don't care what other fans think. I am not a dogmatic fan who buys all the BS that our coaches are selling with blind devotion - but that's just me.

I care that we get good players and succeed as a program. I care less about having a coach that is good in front of the camera than you do... you can rest assured tonight though - RR just tweeted out that he is happy to be a Wildcat.

I see that Byrne also tweeted that RR was offered the job and turned it down. That's seems a like a big FU to the South Carolina AD... not sure I have seen that before. I am guessing the AD told Byrne he would not go after RR and then changed his tune as the Cocks kept getting told "no".

I'll stand by what I have said for the last few days. So long as Byrne did not give him a penny more to return, I am happy he is staying. (And yes, that is a flip-flop from what I finally acknowledged switching to just minutes ago).

If Byrne gave him a raise to stay, my respect for GB just dropped considerably. If it did not happen, I am good.
Harvey let be happy that RR is staying. Their has to be reason why RR turn down south Carolina job. These few days has been outright crazy. We all might regret for the things we said on this thread. But I glad that RR is staying where he belong Arizona Football.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
No Chi, I don't care what other fans think.
Ok, cool.
Harvey Specter wrote:I am not a dogmatic fan who buys all the BS that our coaches are selling with blind devotion - but that's just me.

Wait a tick......
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I find it hard to believe he turned the job down. Sounds like damage control because Byrne knows a lot of us are doubting RR loyalty.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

OSUCat wrote:WVU can still open this year. Aren't they happy in Clemson?

Dabo wants an NFL job.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

chiefzona wrote:Wait till WVU and Clemson open up. It's just gonna be the same stuff over and over. This will be a very poignant season for him. I'll bet attendance takes a hit and he'll have to put a winning product on the field. Fasten your seat belts and hang on.
I hope he is offered the Clemson job, because that will mean he had 1-2 damn good seasons here. But they better be damn good, given where their program is at the moment.

It's a relief that RR did not take the job, but let's keep it real here. He knew he was the 3rd choice for a mid-level BCS job and seriously considered it anyway. He is not getting upgraded to anything better than a Plan C (albeit a very good plan C) until he has considerably more success in Tucson.

Just win big, coach... you will win the fans back and have better options than you have recently. Everyone will be happy. Lose and it's a double whammy - the fans won't have your back and you will be looking for an FCS job.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

As a reward I think that Byrne should hand RRod two torn up contracts (Casteel & Kirelawich) and tell RRod to go conduct some more interviews......for a couple of new assistant coaches who will actually get off their ass and recruit.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Chicat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Ok, cool.
Harvey Specter wrote:I am not a dogmatic fan who buys all the BS that our coaches are selling with blind devotion - but that's just me.

Wait a tick......
How exactly is my own (and plenty of other fans') dissatisfaction with the recruiting classes RR has brought in in ANY way tied to "what other fans think"?

I do care more about beating ASU than having a coach who gets a few laughs from the media during a presser... Not sure how that applies, either.

But hey... To each his own.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

chiefzona wrote:Wait till WVU and Clemson open up. It's just gonna be the same stuff over and over. This will be a very poignant season for him. I'll bet attendance takes a hit and he'll have to put a winning product on the field. Fasten your seat belts and hang on.
Chief,

Open ticket Rich is telling you in code that the unfinished business he referred to means that a 6-6 record won't get either of those two jobs and his kid (Rett) final year of HS football in Tucson were very likely the addition by subtraction for the non-move.

So there's your unfinished business. Next year we will be revisiting this same subject with all its hoopla and distraction.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

AZCatGirl wrote:I find it hard to believe he turned the job down. Sounds like damage control because Byrne knows a lot of us are doubting RR loyalty.
That was my first reaction, too, but Byrne is way too smart to make a false statement like that in the public domain.

Unless they made him an offer for a sum of money he didn't like. At this point I suspect that makes the most sense all the way around.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I really don't get the people being all mad at RR.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Ok, cool.

Wait a tick......
How exactly is my own (and plenty of other fans') dissatisfaction with the recruiting classes RR has brought in in ANY way tied to "what other fans think"?

I do care more about beating ASU than having a coach who gets a few laughs from the media during a presser... Not sure how that applies, either.

But hey... To each his own.
Saying you don't care what other fans think and then literally in the next breath talking about "dogmatic fans" and what I think about RR's on camera personality is pretty funny Harv.

Not to mention all your other posts about fans who talk about how lucky we are to have RR and how we need more fan support to keep him.

Seems like you care a lot. Which is really fine, just funny.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Chief,

Open ticket Rich is telling you in code that the unfinished business he referred to means that a 6-6 record won't get either of those two jobs and his kid (Rett) final year of HS football in Tucson were very likely the addition by subtraction for the non-move.

So there's your unfinished business. Next year we will be revisiting this same subject with all its hoopla and distraction.

You betcha. All the injuries will be the excuse. Scooby isn't coming back so there's much work to be done. Casteel can't crap the bed next year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote:I find it hard to believe he turned the job down. Sounds like damage control because Byrne knows a lot of us are doubting RR loyalty.
I'm not. Why is it hard to believe he turned it down? What else would've happened?

AZarchery

Post by AZarchery »

South Carolina saying they never offered rich rod.

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt ... t-41772756" target="_blank
Last edited by AZarchery on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

cordera89 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Are you sure about that. This doesn't prove that RR didn't get the job or is waiting to get offer, I want to know is this true or false.
Too late RR, the damage has been done. Interviewing is like calling a Divorce Lawyer for a consultation.....even though you didn't file the papers, we know this marriage ain't gonna work for long......GTFO RR and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Bear Down.