Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Coach Rod

Post by azcat49 »

Samaje's tweet was open for the coaches, his teammates, fans and recruits to see. If things are that bad from a guy who starts and has been given two chances after he screwed up, what does that say about the mindset of the team?

You have a guy like Marquise Ware who can't get on the field even after we are pulling guys out of the stand to play LB and who says the coaches are not telling him why.

I can't believe we are going to waste 6M on a guy that doesn't want to be here and seems to burning the foundation that supports him
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

azcat49 wrote:Samaje's tweet was open for the coaches, his teammates, fans and recruits to see. If things are that bad from a guy who starts and has been given two chances after he screwed up, what does that say about the mindset of the team?

You have a guy like Marquise Ware who can't get on the field even after we are pulling guys out of the stand to play LB and who says the coaches are not telling him why.

I can't believe we are going to waste 6M on a guy that doesn't want to be here and seems to burning the foundation that supports him
It says Grant is a complete tool. You don't see other players tweeting like that even if they do feel like that.

Then again, it could have nothing to do with RR. People here seem to enjoy jumping to conclusions.
Attachments
tumblr_mhf1g2LjVw1ruu6lno1_500.jpg
tumblr_mhf1g2LjVw1ruu6lno1_500.jpg (102 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Ok guys. I got the lowdown. For me this is going to seem strange but this is what I was just told from a source I completely trust. RR told the players the night before the interview that he was not going to interview until after the bowl season. However, the next day he decided to interview. He told the players that he was going to interview but he promised them he would not take the job and that he would coach them next season. He also said to ignore the negative press. The catch is that the source says that if RR got a good enough offer he would have taken it. But, on the flight back home he decided not to and now most of the players are very happy with RR because they believe he was true to them. He also told the recruits the same thing which is why you don't see any decommits other than Watson and that was over a grayshirt situation. RR is sneaky but he pulled off a genius plot. I give him a pass on this one. Very smooth on his part.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

If people are gonna bitch about/praise RR, can we please just keep it to one thread, preferably stickied since this same dumb shit is gonna come up nonstop till hes no longer our coach?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

So, essentially, RR played both sides and made himself look good. That for me is genius. The move to me is awesome. The players are pumped and so are the recruits. Now, gotta win the bowl game without Nick. He is most likely a no go. Close out the recruiting season with a bang and BTFD.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

I think Nick needs to be shelved until next year. He needs to get healthy. What we should be worried about is our lack of a true Center
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

chiefzona wrote:So, essentially, RR played both sides and made himself look good. That for me is genius. The move to me is awesome. The players are pumped and so are the recruits. Now, gotta win the bowl game without Nick. He is most likely a no go. Close out the recruiting season with a bang and BTFD.
Why would he play UA? Made himself look good to who exactly?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azpenguin wrote:So many people here act as if he has no right no talk to other schools, that he's damaged goods or disloyal. By that definition pretty much every coach in football is disloyal. It's a business, not a marriage. As bad a year as Stoops was having in '11, he was still working hard when he got fired. The university didn't extend loyalty to Stoops because it was about results on the field. RichRod was getting calls because of his results over the last few years. If it's OK for a school to fire a coach when his stock is down, then it's fair game for a coach to see what's out there when his stock is up. There is little loyalty in the business. That's just how it is.
Rich Rod's stock is about on par with Muschamp's; if you call that high, the we agree to disagree. Right now his stock is high enough that he was a Plan C for a middling BCS program, and it was interesting enough that he decided to explore it. Every time his name surfaces, the fans object to him like the plague.

As for his results the 'past few years' - lets talk about that. No sugar coating - this is business. Last year was a very nice season, and that's it. The other 3 were mediocre to bad - losing conference records and wins against cupcakes... No more 'feel good' propping up of results.

This fanbase stood behind him and virtually EVERYONE was in his corner despite a really disappointing season overall. He has gotten the benefit of the doubt at every turn - and ENORMOUS credit for the few positives that he has delivered. If people were calling for his head and he went off interviewing for any job that gave him a cursory look, that would be a different story entirely. He has been the beneficiary of more loyalty and support than he has reciprocated.

I don't think that happens any more... he wants to keep his options open? So do we.... From now on - it is WIN OR ELSE. Business is business, and it's a 2-way street. Time to deliver a SOLID product... and enough with the marketing gimmicks to try and call attention away from the warts and moles.

Less time on cutesy slogans... less time on feel-good videos... And more focus on difference-making recruits and W's. That's what this shareholder wants.
Excellent post!! Through his blindness to the enormous support and patience he has received, RR has painted himself into a corner. The slimeball has no choice but to win big now. None. Hoist by his own petard.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
chiefzona wrote:So, essentially, RR played both sides and made himself look good. That for me is genius. The move to me is awesome. The players are pumped and so are the recruits. Now, gotta win the bowl game without Nick. He is most likely a no go. Close out the recruiting season with a bang and BTFD.
Why would he play UA? Made himself look good to who exactly?

He left his options open. He made himself look good to the players and recruits. Right now, that's all that matters to me. Those kids gotta bowl game to suit up for.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
azpenguin wrote:So many people here act as if he has no right no talk to other schools, that he's damaged goods or disloyal. By that definition pretty much every coach in football is disloyal. It's a business, not a marriage. As bad a year as Stoops was having in '11, he was still working hard when he got fired. The university didn't extend loyalty to Stoops because it was about results on the field. RichRod was getting calls because of his results over the last few years. If it's OK for a school to fire a coach when his stock is down, then it's fair game for a coach to see what's out there when his stock is up. There is little loyalty in the business. That's just how it is.
Rich Rod's stock is about on par with Muschamp's; if you call that high, the we agree to disagree. Right now his stock is high enough that he was a Plan C for a middling BCS program, and it was interesting enough that he decided to explore it. Every time his name surfaces, the fans object to him like the plague.

As for his results the 'past few years' - lets talk about that. No sugar coating - this is business. Last year was a very nice season, and that's it. The other 3 were mediocre to bad - losing conference records and wins against cupcakes... No more 'feel good' propping up of results.

This fanbase stood behind him and virtually EVERYONE was in his corner despite a really disappointing season overall. He has gotten the benefit of the doubt at every turn - and ENORMOUS credit for the few positives that he has delivered. If people were calling for his head and he went off interviewing for any job that gave him a cursory look, that would be a different story entirely. He has been the beneficiary of more loyalty and support than he has reciprocated.

I don't think that happens any more... he wants to keep his options open? So do we.... From now on - it is WIN OR ELSE. Business is business, and it's a 2-way street. Time to deliver a SOLID product... and enough with the marketing gimmicks to try and call attention away from the warts and moles.

Less time on cutesy slogans... less time on feel-good videos... And more focus on difference-making recruits and W's. That's what this shareholder wants.
Excellent post!! Through his blindness to the enormous support and patience he has received, RR has painted himself into a corner. The slimeball has no choice but to win big now. None. Hoist by his own petard.
And if he wins big? You still gonna hate our coach?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I am thrilled RichRodwill be back. Hope he stays here for years. And, as has been mentioned before, he has been crucified on this board for doing what Lute Olson and Sean Miller had done -- talked with another school about their job opening and decided he wanted to remain a Wildcat.

In 4 years, he has amassed a 32-20 record, won the PAC-12 South title, and taken us to 4 consecutive bowl games. And all this after inheriting the dumpster fire of a program that Stoops left.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I am thrilled RichRodwill be back. Hope he stays here for years. And, as has been mentioned before, he has been crucified on this board for doing what Lute Olson and Sean Miller had done -- talked with another school about their job opening and decided he wanted to remain a Wildcat.

In 4 years, he has amassed a 32-20 record, won the PAC-12 South title, and taken us to 4 consecutive bowl games. And all this after inheriting the dumpster fire of a program that Stoops left.
Don't waste your breath, this board has turned into a lynch mob. No one listens to anything because their opinions are already decided.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Only last year was good?

Cupcakes or not, 8-5, 8-5, 10-4 is what happened the past 3 years.

You call that shit? I say your expectations of our school are hilariously overblown.
4-5 4-5 7-3 3-6

That's what we have done. And 1-3 vs ASU.

I am not giving credit for gimmes against SC St, NAU, and a bunch of other dogshit teams that Mackovic could have beaten annually. But if it makes you feel better about our lower division conference team - have at it.

For $3M per, credit for joke wins is too low a bar.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Only last year was good?

Cupcakes or not, 8-5, 8-5, 10-4 is what happened the past 3 years.

You call that shit? I say your expectations of our school are hilariously overblown.
4-5 4-5 7-3 3-6

That's what we have done. And 1-3 vs ASU.

I am not giving credit for gimmes against SC St, NAU, and a bunch of other dogshit teams that Mackovic could have beaten annually. But if it makes you feel better about our lower division conference team - have at it.

For $3M per, credit for joke wins is too low a bar.
17-18 conference record, 1 game under 500. Not great but..............

Stoops was 27-38

Mackovic was 3-14

Even Tomey was at .530 in conference
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

So Harvey are you saying we should just fire him and get another coach that'll have around a .500 record in conference, and then a few more coaches of the same after that?

Or you just want a coach that can crush ASU every year regardless of our overall record?

Or lemme guess, you want someone that can beat them every year, while destroying UCLA and USC at a regular clip, while taking us to numerous rose bowls. Keep dreaming dude, let's just see how next year plays out.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fishclamps wrote:

Stoops was 27-38

Mackovic was 3-14

And they were all fired. But I like RR, even though his keeping his eye open for new positions is a little disconcerting, although I can understand it.

I really like RR, and hope he stays, but stay like Lute, who after he turned down UK both times decided to stay for good. Tomey would have stayed too, but really lost any desire to work as hard as he needed.

Seems to me that RichRod is just doing a Larry Smith. Win some games then movin' on up.

But if he gets the Cats to the playoffs or Rose Bowl, then he will have many of our blessings when he goes back to the South East.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Merkin wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:

Stoops was 27-38

Mackovic was 3-14

And they were all fired. But I like RR, even though his keeping his eye open for new positions is a little disconcerting, although I can understand it.

I really like RR, and hope he stays, but stay like Lute, who after he turned down UK both times decided to stay for good. Tomey would have stayed too, but really lost any desire to work as hard as he needed.

Seems to me that RichRod is just doing a Larry Smith. Win some games then movin' on up.

But if he gets the Cats to the playoffs or Rose Bowl, then he will have many of our blessings when he goes back to the South East.
I am neutral on any coach staying or leaving. I also like RR, but I love the UofA. The teams will go on regardless of who our coach is.

I also understand its a business, so I wouldn't be shocked or hurt if RR, Miller, or Byrne left for greener pastures.

Even as bad as Mackovic was, I still have great memories of going to those games and yelling at him from the 50 yard line cause the stands were so empty.

My loyalty is to the school, the rest is all just moving pieces.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Fishclamps wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I don't like sneaky, disingenuous people. I value character. Winning big would be nice, of course, but only a consistent display of good character would change my mind about RR.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

MrMeow wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

I don't like sneaky, disingenuous people. I value character. Winning big would be nice, of course, but only a consistent display of good character would change my mind about RR.
You're asking for something that just doesn't happen in college football. You know that right?
Last edited by Fishclamps on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

So what is he supposed to do? Never look at the job market? Is he supposed to announce to everyone "hey, I'm going to interview at South Carolina" at a press conference?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrMeow wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Every coach in America does the same things. you must hate the entire profession. I think it's time for you to turn in your fan card and give up on watching sports for a while
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

azpenguin wrote:So what is he supposed to do? Never look at the job market? Is he supposed to announce to everyone "hey, I'm going to interview at South Carolina" at a press conference?
Exactly. Everything that happened with him and that he did is part of the sport. Either hike up your skirt and deal with it EVERY SINGLE YEAR or continue living your life in misery and feeling like a lover scorned.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Just gonna leave this here...

Gimino: No harm in Rodriguez flirting with South Carolina

Really enjoyed the piece AG
Last edited by Fishclamps on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Every coach in America does the same things. you must hate the entire profession. I think it's time for you to turn in your fan card and give up on watching sports for a while

haha, no, they don't. You are trying awfully hard to spin this saga as a common occurrence in coaching. Coaches agents get hit up to gauge interest all the time. When a coach publicly interviews for a position there is very real interest from both parties. Very rarely are coaches caught with their dick in their hands like what transpired here. He could have squashed the rumors a while ago, and only acknowledges the situation after he "rejects" the offer (assuming he was offered at all) in an attempt to save face.

Coaches generally do everything in their power to keep this stuff under wraps to keep if from affecting recruiting and stability of the program. RR's actions are more representative of a coach who had every intention of leaving for South Carolina. No one really knows what happened at the end, but the point is he publicly showed real interest in another job, something that is not a common occurrence.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He was absolutely not caught with his dick in his hands. It was all under wraps...that's why we didn't know anything for sure until yesterday. Seriously, it's like you don't even read what you write.

If he had every intention of leaving...he would've left. God what a stupid post. Everything you just said contradicts itself.

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:Every coach in America does the same things. you must hate the entire profession. I think it's time for you to turn in your fan card and give up on watching sports for a while

haha, no, they don't. You are trying awfully hard to spin this saga as a common occurrence in coaching. Coaches agents get hit up to gauge interest all the time. When a coach publicly interviews for a position there is very real interest from both parties. Very rarely are coaches caught with their dick in their hands like what transpired here. He could have squashed the rumors a while ago, and only acknowledges the situation after he "rejects" the offer (assuming he was offered at all) in an attempt to save face.

Coaches generally do everything in their power to keep this stuff under wraps to keep if from affecting recruiting and stability of the program. RR's actions are more representative of a coach who had every intention of leaving for South Carolina. No one really knows what happened at the end, but the point is he publicly showed real interest in another job, something that is not a common occurrence.
Wut? Coaches do this all the time to get raises. Look at Les Miles like 3 of the past 4 years.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azpenguin wrote:The people who think RR is damaged for interviewing with another school must really not like Lute Olson.
Exactly. I hope they were freaking out this much when lute almost bolted.
They were, but they were blaming the media. Just need to find a third party to blame this time and all will be fine.

Look, I've made this point many times before. The coaches and players do not bleed red and blue. The fans do. It's nice to think that these are selfless warriors putting it all on the line for the good ol' UofA, but they're not. There might be the occasional kid who grew up rooting for Arizona, but most landed here because others didn't want them or it best served their lifelong goals.

You know, the same reasons we chose UofA.

RichRod will be gone if the team doesn't excel. He will be gone if the team does excel. Don't fall in love.
Last edited by gumby on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:Every coach in America does the same things. you must hate the entire profession. I think it's time for you to turn in your fan card and give up on watching sports for a while

Lute Olson
Kentucky
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

pc in NM wrote:

Lute Olson
Kentucky
Sean Miller - Maryland

Dick Tomey - Miami, Washington
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

gumby wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
azpenguin wrote:The people who think RR is damaged for interviewing with another school must really not like Lute Olson.
They were, but they were blaming the media. Just need to find a third party to blame this time and all will be fine.

Look, I've made this point many times before. The coaches and players do not bleed red and blue. The fans do. It's nice to think that these are selfless warriors putting it all on the line for the good ol' UofA, but they're not. There might be the occasional kid who grew up rooting for Arizona, but most landed here because others didn't want them or it best serves their lifelong goals.

RichRod will be gone if the team doesn't excel. He will be gone if the team does excel. Don't fall in love.
Oh look, a voice of reason.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Larry Smith, uh, never mind. He actually did go! He said it's because he couldn't get a multi-year contract, not because USC was a better job. The truth? We'll never know.

Is Smith the only UofA football coach to leave for a better job? As far I know, yes.
Last edited by gumby on Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

gumby wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Look, I've made this point many times before. The coaches and players do not bleed red and blue. The fans do. It's nice to think that these are selfless warriors putting it all on the line for the good ol' UofA, but they're not. There might be the occasional kid who grew up rooting for Arizona, but most landed here because others didn't want them or it best serves their lifelong goals.

Exactly. It's his choice if he decides to do so. He doesn't owe an explanation to any of us for interviewing or anything. Right now he's our coach and I'm happy about that. The vitriol and hand wringing and pitchfork waving by some on here is just over the top and unnecessary. Let's move on to the bowl and 2016.

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Fishclamps wrote:Just gonna leave this here...

Gimino: No harm in Rodriguez flirting with South Carolina

Really enjoyed the piece AG

I agree completely. It was a great article and I think this chapter is over. We need to move on to something else all the haters can piss and moan about......RECRUITING. Come on people, until spring ball comes, its the next big thing. :)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote: Is Smith the only UofA football coach to leave for a better job? As far I know, yes.
Jim Young left for Purdue.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

You're asking for something that just doesn't happen in college football. You know that right?[/quote]

So you are saying all college football coaches are sneaky, disingenuous people? I think you are wrong. Given, the element exists in college sports, but it's not universal. You know that, right?

I think Bronco Mendenhall, Mike Riley, Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, and a long list of others are high character people although they took jobs elsewhere. I think there are a great many high character coaches out there, and UA has enjoyed several of them. We have also had a scumbag, or two. Scumbags exist in all walks of life. The litmus test of character is not as simple as what you do, but also how you do it, for what reasons, and the context of the total situation. I'm just not convinced RR is a high character guy. I don't trust him, and I don't like having that kind of person around. When he finally moves on I won't be disappointed.

This isn't the last time we're going to see this movie. You know that too, right?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote: Is Smith the only UofA football coach to leave for a better job? As far I know, yes.
Jim Young left for Purdue.
That's right!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrMeow wrote:You're asking for something that just doesn't happen in college football. You know that right?
So you are saying all college football coaches are sneaky, disingenuous people? I think you are wrong. Given, the element exists in college sports, but it's not universal. You know that, right?

I think Bronco Mendenhall, Mike Riley, Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, and a long list of others are high character people although they took jobs elsewhere. I think there are a great many high character coaches out there, and UA has enjoyed several of them. We have also had a scumbag, or two. Scumbags exist in all walks of life. The litmus test of character is not as simple as what you do, but also how you do it, for what reasons, and the context of the total situation. I'm just not convinced RR is a high character guy. I don't trust him, and I don't like having that kind of person around. When he finally moves on I won't be disappointed.

This isn't the last time we're going to see this movie. You know that too, right?[/quote]
I love how what those coaches did was fine, even though they were even more sneaky and actually took the jobs. I seriously think RR must've done something personally to you for you to be this much of a whiny little girl about it.

I think RR is a good guy.

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Uhhhhhh what? Urban Meyer bolted from Utah after 2 seasons. Wise choice by him too.

Mike Riley left after 2 seasons at Oregon state in his first stint there to go coach in the NFL for the chargers.

Miss St is Dan Mullen's first HC job, so dunno how you can compare him to any multi job coach.

I'll give you Mendenhall though. Scratch that, BYU was his first HC job and he was there for 10 years. Can't really compare him either as a job hopper.

You are making some terrible points MrMeow.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:So Harvey are you saying we should just fire him and get another coach that'll have around a .500 record in conference, and then a few more coaches of the same after that?

Or you just want a coach that can crush ASU every year regardless of our overall record?

Or lemme guess, you want someone that can beat them every year, while destroying UCLA and USC at a regular clip, while taking us to numerous rose bowls. Keep dreaming dude, let's just see how next year plays out.
Here is what I want:

- Winning conference record more often than not (and don't shit the bed, ever)
- Beat ASU more often than not
- Contend for a conference championship every 3-4 seasons

Do I want to fire RR? Nope... I just want him to deliver better consistent results than we have seen thus far, especially for what he is being paid. I don't want him angling for a pay raise after a dogshit year, when (I believe) he is among the top third of coaching salaries in the PAC.

He has done a "nice" job here, but certainly nothing world-beating. For some perspective, his stretch in years 1-4 is essentially identical to Stoops run in years 3-6; that's an improvement (acceleration, really), but regardless of how people want to spin it - the personnel that Stoops inherited was a far more "dumpster-fireish" that what RR inherited. People all think Stoops was an awful coach, and many act like RR is a GREAT one; given the particulars, I do not think their results have been all that disparate.

Fans prop up our 4 straight bowl games and overall record to overstate how successful he has actually been here. He has had one very good year here, 2 mediocre and one shitty. Awful? No. But not good enough to be eyeing every BCS job that will give him a sniff and maintain fan loyalty and support.

On a personality & charisma I love the dude. Hilarious and engaging in front of a group. He's a born salesman... although a bit of a panderer. I just which it translated better to recruiting - but he's not done much differently than his predecessors on that front.

As for the Miller & Lute comparisons, I am really sick and tired of reading about that from people who don't understand the nuanced (but very real & significant) differences between their situations, which I have attempted to address in previous posts. If Miller left would I be crushed? Yup. If Lute had left would I have been crushed? Yup. If Rodriguez left would I be crushed? Nope.

Miller and Lute earned my love and loyalty by building programs that were wildly successful and juggernauts. And when they did consider leaving, it was for either the best job in college basketball, or one that they had long had their I on as a unique and tremendous opportunity. I never doubted whether or not they wanted to be here - even if they (on rare occasions) took the opportunity it's to listen to advances from programs they had long held in very high regar. They sure as shit did not float their name and interview for EVERY single mediocre job that might consider having them in their first 4 years here, or since.

Kentucky and Maryland BB were wildly different situations than Louisville, VTU, and ntUSC FB. Their dalliances were not a near-annual occurrence to constantly have their hand out. They did not make it a regular practice to hold the school hostage for a bump on the heels of a shitty season... if that is not what RR has been doing, then there are a LOT of places he thinks he might like better than Tucson.

If that's the way RR wants to roll, it is his right. But he has not earned enough loyalty with the success he has had to get away with doing it over and over again. That card can be played, but playing it too often can be risky for career longevity and stability with your current employer.

I have had a lot of employees test the waters... and the reactions to it are not the same for everyone. Everybody has opportunities that occasionally pop up, and there is nothing wrong with understanding them. If you are out interviewing every year, you might get away with it - so long as you are a perennial superstar, but you BETTER remain one.

Leveraging another employer's interest into additional compensation has diminishing marginal returns with each iteration, and it eventually leads to the perception that said employee doesn't want to be there. That leads employers to eventually looking for an opportunity to "help" that employee out the door - sometimes with a nudge. Especially if their performance is less than ideal.

I view this situation no differently.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:Uhhhhhh what? Urban Meyer bolted from Utah after 2 seasons. Wise choice by him too.

Mike Riley left after 2 seasons at Oregon state in his first stint there to go coach in the NFL for the chargers.

Miss St is Dan Mullen's first HC job, so dunno how you can compare him to any multi job coach.

I'll give you Mendenhall though. Scratch that, BYU was his first HC job and he was there for 10 years. Can't really compare him either as a job hopper.

You are making some terrible points MrMeow.
Utah to Florida FB

Oregon State to the NFL

Arizona to Kentucky BB (circa 1985)

Arizona (WAC) to Purdue (Big 10) FB circa 1975

Arizona to USC FB (circa 1988)

Arizona FB to Louisville, Va Tech, So Carolina (and who else?) circa 2013-15

... and there have been a handful of other examples in this thread.

One of these things seems to be very different from the others... at least from where I sit.

And if you want to flirt with every round of interest... Eventually you better take one of them.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

You skipped Dick Tomey talking to Miami and Washington and taking neither of them, that looks like RR talking to Louisville and South Carolina and taking neither of them. Convenient you left out that comparison.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Also what coach are you gonna get that never shits the bed, ever. Every single coach has shit the bed at some point
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:You skipped Dick Tomey talking to Miami and Washington and taking neither of them, that looks like RR talking to Louisville and South Carolina and taking neither of them. Convenient you left out that comparison.
Do you have a fucking clue as to what context is? Go research UW and Miami football in the late 80's, early 90's, and then get back to me with how they compare (or don't) to ntSC, VTU, and Louisville today. Let's look at conference and national championships, elite bowl games, records v ranked competition, and Top 10 & 20 rankings.

So I addressed your one example that was a poor attempt to support your point... What about the other 6-7 examples I listed?

RR appears compelled to consider every BCS job that shows interest.. Must be tough to decline an overture.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Fishclamps wrote:Also what coach are you gonna get that never shits the bed, ever. Every single coach has shit the bed at some point
I'll name 2: Lute & Sean Miller.

And by the RR standard, that means going <0.500 overall and winning .333 conference games
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And declines them all to stay here. You really seem stuck up on that. You're bombing in this thread Harvey..call it a day ok?

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:Also what coach are you gonna get that never shits the bed, ever. Every single coach has shit the bed at some point
I'll name 2: Lute & Sean Miller.

And by the RR standard, that means going <0.500 overall and winning .333 conference games
Except he's .620 overall and .500 in conference. You complain about context but then compare our perpetually bad football team to one of the consistently best bball programs in the country over the past quarter century plus.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

ASUHATER! wrote:And declines them all to stay here. You really seem stuck up on that. You're bombing in this thread Harvey..call it a day ok?
He could have moved back near his hometown, had better recruits, and more money, and yet he turned it down to come back here.

Why do people not understand that point?
Scummy Dick Douglas

Fishclamps wrote:

Wut? Coaches do this all the time to get raises. Look at Les Miles like 3 of the past 4 years.
Les Miles interviewed for other jobs 3 of the last 4 years? Pretty sure that didn't happen. Again, I think a lot of people here are confusing a few things. 1) Listening to offers/interest from other schools is very different than getting on a plane and flying out to interview for the job. The latter is much less common than some here would like to admit. 2) Interviewing for or pursuing a job that is a clear step up is not a good comparison for taking a job that is, by most accounts, a lateral move. Lute O interviewing for the Kentucky job is very different than RR interviewing for SC.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Fishclamps wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:And declines them all to stay here. You really seem stuck up on that. You're bombing in this thread Harvey..call it a day ok?
He could have moved back near his hometown, had better recruits, and more money, and yet he turned it down to come back here.

You don't even know if he was actually offered.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Fishclamps wrote:

You don't even know if he was actually offered.
Well it was reported he was offered so I'm gonna go with that.

Unless were saying the report is wrong, in which case I don't even know if he actually interviewed.