Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Coach Rod

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Chicat wrote:I think expecting the people employed by these schools to treat college football as anything other than a business is inherently silly.

I also think that expecting fans who have a passion (fanaticism even, since that's the etymology of the word "fan") for these schools and programs to treat it like a business is also somewhat silly.

I have made tens of thousands upon tens of thousands of posts, tweets, facebook status updates, emails, conversations, and so on in regards to Arizona sports. It is most definitely something I'm passionate about. And my fandom is certainly not a business, even though it contributes to the bigtime business of college athletics. So while many of us do understand at some level how dispassionate coaches, ADs, college presidents, members of the media and so on have to be when dealing with the myriad subjects and issues that come up when these kids aren't on the field or court, we also understand that at it's heart college sports is about love and hate and other feelings that have nothing to do with business.

After we beat Gonzaga, or lost to ASU, my first thought wasn't, "eh, it's a business". It was "HOLY FUCKING SHIT WE WON!!!" and "OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS SUCKS!" respectively. I understand that won't be Byrne's or RR's or SM's response, but I'm a fan. I don't follow Arizona sports because it's a business, even if it most definitely is one.
Great post, Chi - sums it up perfectly.

As many have posted, business also has nuances. A guy with wanderlust who goes after every opening he might be considered just needs to be aware there can be consequences, too.

Let's say next year we go 7-5... and we find out some top-tier coach's wife has an ailment that requires her to move to a dry desert climate. Would it be kosher for Byrne to work behind the scenes to see if he wants to come here - and if he does, he terminates RR's contract?

It seems like a no-brainier to me, but I suspect that any AD who did that would likely get blasted in the media.
If Nick Saban wanted to come to Arizona, you'd really expect that people would not understand if we explored it?

I find that hard to believe.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote:Very little difference in total defense this season and last season. Both teams ended up in 100s out of 127 teams.

It's not just injuries to the defense. More so injuries to the offense kept Anu and Wilson off the field.

Red zone defense is bottom 5.
And probably little difference next year, if one had to guess.

Scheer's response recently to what the defense will look like next year was something like "similar to this year."

The players just aren't there. Pretty decent chance we're still in the 100s next year in lots of the same stats we were in the 100s this year.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ASUHATER! wrote:If we have better luck with injuries and everyone comes back that we hope will, with the easier schedule...we can be a 9-10 win team.
Agree with this statement 100%. Plus, a few new weapons come into the fold next year. Depth in the defense now that a lot of kids were forced to play.

JJ Taylor is going to be a really special player in RR's system. Great looking class coming in next year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:I'd love to have the feeling entering the football season that I do about basketball. I haven't since the 90's.
You do have to wonder how long Byrne will let fan lethargy drag. RR coming in and the immediate success in comparison to Stoops was a shot in the arm. Now with the NEZ completed, it seems like we need another. Two ten win seasons out of the last three would be something Byrne could go to potential season ticket holders and say, "hey, get in on this now, because we are trending up and up and up". But if we're only going to muster 7 or 8 wins a year, the Tucson market is tapped out on enthusiasm.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I'd love to have the feeling entering the football season that I do about basketball. I haven't since the 90's.
You do have to wonder how long Byrne will let fan lethargy drag. RR coming in and the immediate success in comparison to Stoops was a shot in the arm. Now with the NEZ completed, it seems like we need another. Two ten win seasons out of the last three would be something Byrne could go to potential season ticket holders and say, "hey, get in on this now, because we are trending up and up and up". But if we're only going to muster 7 or 8 wins a year, the Tucson market is tapped out on enthusiasm.
For me, some of it is out of his control...I have issues with the game. In the 90's it was trying to make a Rose bowl, which we almost did in 98 (fucking hurricane). It was the Pac 10, and it was pretty good--making a bowl meant something, as did a ranking.

Nowdays? I mean, does anyone really care about the bowl game that much? I mean we were in the Fiesta last year and it was hardly what the Fiesta used to be, even a few years ago. The sport is watered down...you basically enter the season with a glimmer of a hope for playing for a championship. Even less of a glimmer if your conference is any good.

Obviously winning fixes everything...but it is consistent winning. Frankly, that is really difficult to do.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Next year Cats host Grambling and Hawaii.

Neither one going to bring the crowds in.

At least that's on Byrne.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Does Hawaii have a football team, or will they?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Its absolutely Ironic how the Rich Rod back slappers who comprise the misdirection team to shout down opposing views are suddenly and conveniently turning the page from the more loyal side of college athletics that they all want to use on game day or any other time if fits the narrative. Now its the new, less touchy feely narrative being fed to us heathens that this is just a "business" meme of this seasons midnight coaching undercover cluster.

Its amazing the crap that the people who operate in the "all things Arizona" crowd will trot out to justify a position and shut down discussion.

So now you all get your business end of the deal. But be prepared for the uncomfortable consequences of using your handy business trump card when you needed it.

You see it works both ways. You wanted the business BS speak to cover for the RR interview and flirtation with SC but you'll want loyalty to the tenth degree on game day.

Well sorry back-slappers, you can't have it both ways. Them's the breaks! So next year when shit is being critically analyzed, dissected, evaluated and maybe ridiculed or other wise given a substandard report card if the situation is warranted and you don't agree with, just sit your ass in the back of the room because the rest of us are working off of your "it's just business" blue print.

Business it is except for the kids, their excluded except in just general terms of observation as a group. Don't complain next year when shit doesn't fit your coaching business plan and you want everyone to instantly revert back to waving the Pom Pom college loyalty meme for your highly paid professionals who can't pronounce the word loyalty while getting paid millions in compensation.

Remember, it's all business now.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azpenguin wrote:I doubt it was a money grab, more like them calling him and him saying "I've got something good going at Arizona and if you want me, you have to make it worth my while to start all over again." Hence why he threw an insane number at them expecting them to say no. Saying it's a money grab implies he is just trying to get as much cash as he can no matter where he has to go to do it. If that was the case he would have gone to Louisville.
Then he should probably drop the sound bites from here on in about Recruits taking other visits (not committed, only interested) to avoid the appearance of a double standard (which there has been). Commits like free trips too. Maybe to get a better insane offer while they are there.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
MrMeow wrote:I feel sorry for GB. Putting his heart and soul into making UA football a successful business, just like Ced and Lute once did for basketball, but GB can't get his coach to cooperate. First, his coach turns out a mediocre to lousy product, so as to reduce fan support (revenues). Then the idiot flies off to South Carolina to very publicly interview for another job. That fiasco is followed pretty much silence on the issue or stonewalling. Now, what's that going to do for fan support, not to mention player support and recruit interest? How is that kind of behavior going to help his employer build his business? Right.

In business we depend on support from our employees to build our business and prosper. We depend on them to do their jobs well, the ones for which they are being paid, and we depend on them not to fuck up. Got that, Rich?
You keep topping yourself with more and more idiotic posts.
ASUHater, once again, using personal attacks versus just disagreement and counter-arguments. SMH
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
MrMeow wrote:I feel sorry for GB. Putting his heart and soul into making UA football a successful business, just like Ced and Lute once did for basketball, but GB can't get his coach to cooperate. First, his coach turns out a mediocre to lousy product, so as to reduce fan support (revenues). Then the idiot flies off to South Carolina to very publicly interview for another job. That fiasco is followed pretty much silence on the issue or stonewalling. Now, what's that going to do for fan support, not to mention player support and recruit interest? How is that kind of behavior going to help his employer build his business? Right.

In business we depend on support from our employees to build our business and prosper. We depend on them to do their jobs well, the ones for which they are being paid, and we depend on them not to fuck up. Got that, Rich?
ASUHater, once again, using personal attacks versus just disagreement and counter-arguments. SMH
He isn't posting arguments. Just vomiting nonsense on his keyboard.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Hater's self appointed task is to annoy and offend. He has nothing of substance to offer, just likes to draw people in. Best to ignore him.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

I went on a rant in another topic on this board and everyone let me have it. Didn't bother me any but they still let me have it. One person implied I needed a hug. I think hater needs an enema.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I went on a rant in another topic on this board and everyone let me have it. Didn't bother me any but they still let me have it. One person implied I needed a hug. I think hater needs an enema.
He would turn transparent from an enema.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

tgrumpy2 wrote:I went on a rant in another topic on this board and everyone let me have it. Didn't bother me any but they still let me have it. One person implied I needed a hug. I think hater needs an enema.
LMFAO, that was a good one.......Hey, we all need an enema at one time or another though ;-).

In the end, we all love the U of A and its cool to see passionate arguments, whether we think the posters are idiots or not, we are all ARIZONA WILDCATS! Please, let's keep it as civil as we can and BTFD on beating New Mexico (just threw up in my mouth as I detest them) in their backyard.

BTFD and peace out!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Keep your friends close, and your enemas closer.

I hear RR was gone, but Casteel vetoed. Apparently, he can't go anywhere without that guy.
Right where I want to be.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

gumby wrote:Keep your friends close, and your enemas closer.

I hear RR was gone, but Casteel vetoed. Apparently, he can't go anywhere without that guy.

Haha. Nice. South Carolina vetoed Casteel. :lol:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azgreg wrote:
He would turn transparent from an enema.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Its absolutely Ironic how the Rich Rod back slappers who comprise the misdirection team to shout down opposing views are suddenly and conveniently turning the page from the more loyal side of college athletics that they all want to use on game day or any other time if fits the narrative. Now its the new, less touchy feely narrative being fed to us heathens that this is just a "business" meme of this seasons midnight coaching undercover cluster.

Its amazing the crap that the people who operate in the "all things Arizona" crowd will trot out to justify a position and shut down discussion.

So now you all get your business end of the deal. But be prepared for the uncomfortable consequences of using your handy business trump card when you needed it.

You see it works both ways. You wanted the business BS speak to cover for the RR interview and flirtation with SC but you'll want loyalty to the tenth degree on game day.

Well sorry back-slappers, you can't have it both ways. Them's the breaks! So next year when shit is being critically analyzed, dissected, evaluated and maybe ridiculed or other wise given a substandard report card if the situation is warranted and you don't agree with, just sit your ass in the back of the room because the rest of us are working off of your "it's just business" blue print.

Business it is except for the kids, their excluded except in just general terms of observation as a group. Don't complain next year when shit doesn't fit your coaching business plan and you want everyone to instantly revert back to waving the Pom Pom college loyalty meme for your highly paid professionals who can't pronounce the word loyalty while getting paid millions in compensation.

If it is, can we finally allow athletes to profit off their likeness? I've been arguing for that for years.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Its absolutely Ironic how the Rich Rod back slappers who comprise the misdirection team to shout down opposing views are suddenly and conveniently turning the page from the more loyal side of college athletics that they all want to use on game day or any other time if fits the narrative. Now its the new, less touchy feely narrative being fed to us heathens that this is just a "business" meme of this seasons midnight coaching undercover cluster.

Had RR not disclosed his intention to players and recruits, I'd be chapped. He did, so I'll give him a pass. We all did for Sean Miller before, so I think it's fair to do the same for RR.

I'm a Arizona fan and will be whoever the coach is. RR won't be here forever, and if he feels someplace else is better for him and his family, then he should go. I'm OK with that.

Who knows, this experience may make his commitment here deeper, or not.

We, as a community, need to take a few breaths and cool out. Some of the posts in this thread have been WAY over the top.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: If it is, can we finally allow athletes to profit off their likeness? I've been arguing for that for years.
Like Trier making his own deals with Nike? Or the UA paying Trier?

The problem with the first is that we will have players going all Kobe to get their time on SportsCenter, and the biggest problem with the second is that that vast majority of athletic departments lose money, and need money from the University to stay afloat.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: If it is, can we finally allow athletes to profit off their likeness? I've been arguing for that for years.

The problem with the first is that we will have players going all Kobe to get their time on SportsCenter, and the biggest problem with the second is that that vast majority of athletic departments lose money, and need money from the University to stay afloat.
I thought most recruits followed the time honored process of playing for a school that wears the brand that sponsored their AAU team?

I'm proposing the first, and don't see any real issues with it. It's a little bit of make believe, IMO, to think recruits aren't showcasing themselves for a payday. You won't get any more Kobes than you have already, and most coaches know the primadonnas already.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I thought most recruits followed the time honored process of playing for a school that wears the brand that sponsored their AAU team?

I'm proposing the first, and don't see any real issues with it. It's a little bit of make believe, IMO, to think recruits aren't showcasing themselves for a payday. You won't get any more Kobes than you have already, and most coaches know the primadonnas already.
The problem you have with Nike paying players is the fact that Nike is not a independent party. They have a major stake with Oregon, and they are not alone. Gatorade > Florida, Under Armour > Maryland and Pornhub > ASU are a few that come to mind. Therefore said player is more likely to get a more lucrative deal playing for Oregon than the same player playing for Oregon St. That mentality will widen the gap between the have and the have not's, and as a fan of a team that would fall on the have not's of this example I am vehemently against that idea. In all honesty I can not think of any system which allows players to get paid other than a set amount by each university for each player that will not bring out the scum of society to try and buy kids commitments. It's the old "this is why we can't have nice thing's" scenario.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Not to derail any further, but gronk4heisman's scenario already happens.

It's just instead of player payments, Nike gives money so Oregon can have palatial football facilities, new unis, and doesn't do that for Oregon State.

Revenue streams are already maximized for the explicit purpose of attracting and retaining talent. Now, they can't directly flow to a player, so they have to go to creating perks that don't involve direct payment. Why have that middleman?

Does Oregon or Alabama really build their latest practice facility to not sell it hard to recruits as an advantage they can't get at a poorer school.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Not to derail any further, but gronk4heisman's scenario already happens.

It's just instead of player payments, Nike gives money so Oregon can have palatial football facilities, new unis, and doesn't do that for Oregon State.

Revenue streams are already maximized for the explicit purpose of attracting and retaining talent. Now, they can't directly flow to a player, so they have to go to creating perks that don't involve direct payment. Why have that middleman?

Does Oregon or Alabama really build their latest practice facility to not sell it hard to recruits as an advantage they can't get at a poorer school.
Because eliminating the "middleman" takes it to a whole new level. A recruit can say no to a school because it has a better practice facility, but can they really so no to a large cash payment? This sounds like a slippery slope, look a politics for example. Politicians do not care about what is wrong or right or what will help the country they are sworn to serve, they just care about who the highest bidder is and who is paying for their next campaign. Allowing players to get paid from outside companies is just asking for problems in my opinion and would create a whole slew of problems.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Not to derail any further, but gronk4heisman's scenario already happens.

Because eliminating the "middleman" takes it to a whole new level. A recruit can say no to a school because it has a better practice facility, but can they really so no to a large cash payment? This sounds like a slippery slope, look a politics for example. Politicians do not care about what is wrong or right or what will help the country they are sworn to serve, they just care about who the highest bidder is and who is paying for their next campaign. Allowing players to get paid from outside companies is just asking for problems in my opinion and would create a whole slew of problems.
Regular students get financial aid packets that differ from school to school. They can decide what role that should play, and that is fine. No one freaks out about the same exact thing unless the students are athletes too. If Oregon offers a ton of free $ to a talented math major, and OSU can't match, are things really that bad?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

Regular students get financial aid packets that differ from school to school. They can decide what role that should play, and that is fine. No one freaks out about the same exact thing unless the students are athletes too. If Oregon offers a ton of free $ to a talented math major, and OSU can't match, are things really that bad?
Do you watch a lot of Math competitions? No one cares who was the best Mathematicians other than other future Mathematicians.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gronk, I knew friends in HS that got paid to go to college bc they were talented in a particular academic field. It's not odd. There may not be crowds, but schools definitely compete and create financial incentives.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Gronk, I knew friends in HS that got paid to go to college bc they were talented in a particular academic field. It's not odd. There may not be crowds, but schools definitely compete and create financial incentives.
I get that, point being that does not effect a mass audience. College athletics on the other hand does. Yes, my whole point of view is selfish because if we were to go down the path you suggested U of A would end up competing in division II since we would be lapped by the richer programs that can pay to have the best players. Which is essentially what will happen if we allow players to get paid from "outside" sources.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Gronk, I knew friends in HS that got paid to go to college bc they were talented in a particular academic field. It's not odd. There may not be crowds, but schools definitely compete and create financial incentives.
I get that, point being that does not effect a mass audience. College athletics on the other hand does. Yes, my whole point of view is selfish because if we were to go down the path you suggested U of A would end up competing in division II since we would be lapped by the richer programs that can pay to have the best players. Which is essentially what will happen if we allow players to get paid from "outside" sources.
If we're talking about football, sounds like status quo. We get lapped by the big boys in recruiting anyway, and we pretty much always have.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Harvey Specter wrote:If we're talking about football, sounds like status quo. We get lapped by the big boys in recruiting anyway, and we pretty much always have.
There's also the other schools and even conferences that have figured out how to bribe recruits which seems to be an area that we (specifically: Arizona; generally: the PAC) lag behind.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Didn't that happen with McKenzie already?

It's no accident that the top 5 revenue generating teams (TX, ND, Bama, Mich, LSU) are perennial recruiting powers without (legally) shifting any benefits directly to players.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is hilarious. Same guy who said Zeus was gone to the NBA, Stanley was staying, and called Mike Thorne's transfer from Charlotte to the basketball team a "done deal".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

I hate Twitter. Streams of consciousness make news because somebody has a smartphone when they get an idea.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

carolinacat wrote:I hate Twitter. Streams of consciousness make news because somebody has a smartphone when they get an idea.
But his Twitter handle, it's verified!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Meh, why I've never gotten on the twitter bandwagon.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote: This is hilarious. Same guy who said Zeus was gone to the NBA, Stanley was staying, and called Mike Thorne's transfer from Charlotte to the basketball team a "done deal".
This is hilarious but I would take chip in a second. Byrne should kick the tire on Kelly as RR would say!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

3goggles wrote:
Chicat wrote: This is hilarious. Same guy who said Zeus was gone to the NBA, Stanley was staying, and called Mike Thorne's transfer from Charlotte to the basketball team a "done deal".
This is hilarious but I would take chip in a second. Byrne should kick the tire on Kelly as RR would say!
Why? With out shitty facilities and fan support... And lack on in-state talent, he would not be able to win big here. We'd just be paying more for similar results.

Kelly will probably get another shot in the NFL, although I think he belongs in college. If and when he does come back, it won't be to Tucson.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Harvey Specter wrote:
3goggles wrote:
Why? With out shitty facilities and fan support... And lack on in-state talent, he would not be able to win big here. We'd just be paying more for similar results.

Kelly will probably get another shot in the NFL, although I think he belongs in college. If and when he does come back, it won't be to Tucson.
...shitty facilities? You're not talking about Arizona right? Shitty fan support? You're not talking about Arizona right?(90%+ capacity attendance)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
3goggles wrote:

...shitty facilities? You're not talking about Arizona right? Shitty fan support? You're not talking about Arizona right?(90%+ capacity attendance)
Just trying to fall in line with the collective wisdom that suggests no coach can recruit effectively and win big at Arizona because our facilities and fans suck. If those excuses apply to RR, why not Chip as well?

You have read enough of my posts that you should have known that post above was heavy on sarcasm. Except for the part about Chip not coming here - that was serious.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
3goggles wrote:

If Kelly gets another shot in the NFL, I suspect he wouldn't be any more successful than he was with the Eagles. Like Jim Harbaugh, his management style and poor people skills don't work well with professionals. As did Harbaugh, Kelly should stick to malleable college kids who are more eager to please.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
3goggles wrote:

If Kelly gets another shot in the NFL, I suspect he wouldn't be any more successful than he was with the Eagles. Like Jim Harbaugh, his management style and poor people skills don't work well with professionals. As did Harbaugh, Kelly should stick to malleable college kids who are more eager to please.
Big difference is that Harbaugh was wildly successful in the NFL.... looking at what the Niners did before, during, and after his stint in SF - that is not debatable. Chip - not so much.

Harbaugh was an excellent NFL coach. He must be a special species of acerbic prick for them to have run him out of town given what his team's did on the field.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harbaugh was and is an acerbic prick. His success in SF was temporary and doomed in the long haul because of his management style and poor people skills. He burned his players out, and they grew to hate him, as did management. Much better suited for inexperienced college kids who will be gone after a short time, not seasoned professionals. Wears thin.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:Harbaugh was and is an acerbic prick. His success in SF was temporary and doomed in the long haul because of his management style and poor people skills. He burned his players out, and they grew to hate him, as did management. Much better suited for inexperienced college kids who will be gone after a short time, not seasoned professionals. Wears thin.
Not sure we disagree... Except I give much more credit for his NFL success. The Niners absolutely sucked before he got there, and do again now that he is gone. They never did while he was there... but I suppose it is good that they have a 'happier locker room'.

I agree he is much better suited to college, for the reasons you mention. Although in a different era, he might have been an NFL legend.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Harbaugh was and is an acerbic prick. His success in SF was temporary and doomed in the long haul because of his management style and poor people skills. He burned his players out, and they grew to hate him, as did management. Much better suited for inexperienced college kids who will be gone after a short time, not seasoned professionals. Wears thin.
Not sure we disagree... Except I give much more credit for his NFL success. The Niners absolutely sucked before he got there, and do again now that he is gone. They never did while he was there... but I suppose it is good that they have a 'happier locker room'.

I agree he is much better suited to college, for the reasons you mention. Although in a different era, he might have been an NFL legend.
The way things were going, the Niners were going back to sucking, Harbaugh or no Harbaugh. The unhappy locker room was on its way to the field. They had to get rid of him. A different era? I don't know. The autocrat, Vince Lombardi loved his players and treated them as such (I'm old enough to remember these things). Tuna had the people skills to successfully pull off an autocratic approach. He was respected. Can't think of any others right off hand, but Harbaugh was a flash in the pan. Kelly is not even that. Same reason.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

The way things were going, the Niners were going back to sucking, Harbaugh or no Harbaugh. The unhappy locker room was on its way to the field. They had to get rid of him. A different era? I don't know. The autocrat, Vince Lombardi loved his players and treated them as such (I'm old enough to remember these things). Tuna had the people skills to successfully pull off an autocratic approach. He was respected. Can't think of any others right off hand, but Harbaugh was a flash in the pan. Kelly is not even that. Same reason.

You want to keep arguing I am game. Harbaugh achieved more during his 'flash in the pan' period of success than a whole boatload of the retreads that have had long NFL coaching careers. Easy to say now they were on their way to sucking this season... we will never know. My guess is they would not have made the playoffs but would not have shit the bed the way the team did under their new coach.

Lombardi in the NFL today? Good luck believing he would achieve the same type of success with his approach and today's highly paid (and in many cases prima donna) athletes. If that were true we'd see more like him. Even Parcells is a relic in today's league.

Harbaugh is an outstanding coach who does not do well with guys who make more than him playing for him because he is too autocratic... the anti-Zen master Phil.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

You want to keep arguing I am game. Harbaugh achieved more during his 'flash in the pan' period of success than a whole boatload of the retreads that have had long NFL coaching careers. Easy to say now they were on their way to sucking this season... we will never know. My guess is they would not have made the playoffs but would not have shit the bed the way the team did under their new coach.

Lombardi in the NFL today? Good luck believing he would achieve the same type of success with his approach and today's highly paid (and in many cases prima donna) athletes. If that were true we'd see more like him. Even Parcells is a relic in today's league.

Harbaugh is an outstanding coach who does not do well with guys who make more than him playing for him because he is too autocratic... the anti-Zen master Phil.
Harbaugh had 3 good seasons with the Niners. That's it. His fourth and final season he went 8-8. The slide had begun. He had lost the team. He had lost his management's confidence. He was fired. His NFL career is the definition of a flash in the pan. Why? We already went over that.

You can consider Harbaugh an outstanding NFL coach if you please, however, there is a reason truly outstanding NFL coaches like Lombardi, Parcells, and others, even owners and general managers, are in the Hall of Fame and Harbaugh will never get a sniff. They had the talent to achieve over long careers. Harbaugh didn't. He was a flash in the pan, not even in the same league with the truly outstanding NFL coaches. Glad you like him, but water seeks its own level, and Harbaugh is now where he belongs.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Harbaugh had 3 good seasons with the Niners. That's it. His fourth and final season he went 8-8. The slide had begun. He had lost the team. He had lost his management's confidence. He was fired. His NFL career is the definition of a flash in the pan. Why? We already went over that.

You can consider Harbaugh an outstanding NFL coach if you please, however, there is a reason truly outstanding NFL coaches like Lombardi, Parcells, and others, even owners and general managers, are in the Hall of Fame and Harbaugh will never get a sniff. They had the talent to achieve over long careers. Harbaugh didn't. He was a flash in the pan, not even in the same league with the truly outstanding NFL coaches. Glad you like him, but water seeks its own level, and Harbaugh is now where he belongs.
3 good seasons in 4 years is how you would classify it?

He went to a franchise that had not had a winning record in 9 years, and without any major roster overhauls led the team to 13, 11, and 12 wins in the regular season, making 3 straight NFC championship games and winning one of them. Then he went 8-8 in year 3, which (while mediocre) is as good as the 49ers have done without him since 2002. His playoff record is 5-3, with the 3 losses by a combined 12 points. I'd love to see someone with a better 4 year start to their NFL career when not taking over a team in the midst of a dynasty period.

Because he is a prick, it limited his longevity. My guess is he will get another shot if he wants it (and I think he will). If he learned from his mistakes, he could be extremely successful; Bellichick is a prick, too, who failed in Cleveland over a 5 year stint. He figured it out, and the rest is history.

Time will tell....
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I love how people here think the Yorks (niners ownership) have no role to play in the perminanet suckitude of the niners. Harbaugh won despite them.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CalStateTempe wrote:I love how people here think the Yorks (niners ownership) have no role to play in the perminanet suckitude of the niners. Harbaugh won despite them.
Yeah... Funny how many ignore the 10 (of the last 14) years that the Niners have sucked when Harbaugh was not there, and don't assume that ownership (the one constant) has ANY culpability.

The one period when 49ers were VERY good had one difference: the head coach.