Coach Rod

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Rich Rod

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dumptruck of money for RR and assistants. Give it to him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

From what RR has said multiple times, he wants continued investments in the football program itself. He said Lowell-Stevens is just a start.

Not sure what is on his list, maybe an indoor practice facility? Make it so!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:From what RR has said multiple times, he wants continued investments in the football program itself. He said Lowell-Stevens is just a start.

Not sure what is on his list, maybe an indoor practice facility? Make it so!

Here here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We need a lot more donations to afford huge salary bumps and an indoor facility. Most of the excess funds are going to Mckale now that the football expansion is done.

Rich Rod is already guaranteed $525,000 in bonuses this year now though.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

But yes pay the man and his assistants. Florida is already open and jobs like Nebraska, Virginia tech and lsu could open up.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

From Shaggybevo:

You know what? I really like Rich Rod. Something about him. Sue me.

There's lots to love:
1. Broke Michigan's bowl streak;
2. 0-3 at Michigan vs. OSU (100-24 combined score);
3. Still sticking it to Michigan by winning at Arizona; and
4. Has a healthy dollop of Les Miles cray cray to keep things entertaining.

God bless you Rich Rodriquez you magnificent son of a bitch!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gus Johnson pushing the RR to Florida rumors during the nd/usc game.

SCCat

Post by SCCat »

In the USC/ND game, one of the announcers just said the "hot rumor" just in is RR to Florida. They stopped announcing the game for a moment to get that in.
Salty

Post by Salty »

While Florida is in a game?

C'mon man
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Arizona boards about to go full China Syndrome if anyone else in media repeats it.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Sage&Silver wrote:Arizona boards about to go full China Syndrome if anyone else in media repeats it.
RR has two more games to coach.

Mullen may only have one.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Salty wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:Arizona boards about to go full China Syndrome if anyone else in media repeats it.

you mean Muschamp?
Salty

Post by Salty »

Sage&Silver wrote:
Salty wrote:

you mean Muschamp?
I mean Mullen.

I think Mullen will be the next Florida coach.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

To me GB's text said all we needed to know. He said the same thing when Miller had turned down Maryland
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Salty

Post by Salty »

azcat49 wrote:To me GB's text said all we needed to know. He said the same thing when Miller had turned down Maryland
I must have missed that.

Clue me in?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

His daughter is on the cheer squad?

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Salty wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:
Salty wrote:

you mean Muschamp?
I mean Mullen.

I think Mullen will be the next Florida coach.
ah, ok
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Salty wrote:
azcat49 wrote:To me GB's text said all we needed to know. He said the same thing when Miller had turned down Maryland
I must have missed that.

Clue me in?

About 2 weeks ago GB said via tweeter, "we are very glad to have RR as our head football coach". This came out after a couple reports that RR would not pursue the Florida job so I assume he talked to GB and he calmed the masses
Salty

Post by Salty »

azcat49 wrote:
Salty wrote:
I must have missed that.

Clue me in?

About 2 weeks ago GB said via tweeter, "we are very glad to have RR as our head football coach". This came out after a couple reports that RR would not pursue the Florida job so I assume he talked to GB and he calmed the masses
In Greg I trust.

Pay the man, pay the assistants, and let him do his thing.

Go Cats!
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Anyone still talk to uacats? I'm honestly curious to hear what he thinks about the direction we're headed.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Another jab at Michigan. Too funny
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I wish he would have also asked about Greg Byrne.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Katzenfreund wrote:I don't attach any value to all the different statements made by ADs, coaches and recruits. We've seen "straightforward" coaches lie to their players and bolt in the middle of the night before. The UF coaching search is over when they introduce a new HC at a presser in Gainesville.

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

what the hell is that "trophy" (?) Smith has in his hand? A giant unshelled macadamia nut?
jimson

Post by jimson »

I have been watching the replay on TV and was struck by how great the crowd looked on TV. That's got to give RR a taste of how big time football can be in Tucson.

I don't know how susceptible he is to more millions, but he's grabbed the brass ring and it sucked for him.

Maybe he believes he can win championships right here.

The question is how much does he like it here? Can he see it as home or will he always want to be back east?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

jimson wrote:I have been watching the replay on TV and was struck by how great the crowd looked on TV. That's got to give RR a taste of how big time football can be in Tucson.

I don't know how susceptible he is to more millions, but he's grabbed the brass ring and it sucked for him.

Maybe he believes he can win championships right here.

The question is how much does he like it here? Can he see it as home or will he always want to be back east?
As it stands now, his team is one of 7 remaining that has a chance at the championship this year. Remember his 4 year sequence: Lose big, lose small, win small, win big. He is only in year 3 ...

Go Cats!!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azthrillhouse wrote:what the hell is that "trophy" (?) Smith has in his hand? A giant unshelled macadamia nut?
It's the aloha bowl trophy

http://tucson.com/aloha-bowl-arizona-no ... aa455.html
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:what the hell is that "trophy" (?) Smith has in his hand? A giant unshelled macadamia nut?
It's the aloha bowl trophy

http://tucson.com/aloha-bowl-arizona-no ... aa455.html
Right, I get that, I'm trying to understand what the trophy is supposed to represent, since it does't look like a traditional trophy and more like a medicine ball. And I thought the New Mexico Bowl trophy was ugly.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I think he'll be on the SVP show in about ten minutes.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jim Rome asked Andy Staples from SI if RR is settling into the desert or if he might leave. Staples mentioned the oil shares, worth 6 million now, and maybe 12-15 million in 2020 when they are vested, as a big reason why he and Miller might be here for the long haul.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Did anybody catch the SVP Interview? How did it go? Did they ask out Samaji?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

3goggles wrote:Did anybody catch the SVP Interview? How did it go? Did they ask out Samaji?
Nah no DUI talk. It was a pretty mild interview...just asked about keeping the UCLA score out of AZ Stadium and what it's like to be in P12 title game vers Oregon. RR said he did think about the fact that we could sneak into top4 if we beat Oregon, but for now only focus on the game at hand since that's all they can do. Seemed like he was in a good mood, SVP loved having him on too.

Oh and they asked about other teams asking for his services...RR just said this isn't his first rodeo for coaching searches and he's happy at AZ and it's better they're talking about him for hiring instead of firing.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He was also on PHX radio this morning. Got asked a combo question "Do you think you can win at AZ and has Florida been calling you".

Hosts made a big deal cause RichRod said that "He thinks" he can win at UA but that there are a few more things that need to be in place facility wise and such. He didn't address the Florida question either.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Give the man whatever he wants.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

When RR hugged his wife did anyone else think of Lute hugging Bobbi when we beat North Carolina to get our first FF?

I was thinking (and hoping) history was repeating itself
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Olsondogg wrote:He was also on PHX radio this morning. Got asked a combo question "Do you think you can win at AZ and has Florida been calling you".

Hosts made a big deal cause RichRod said that "He thinks" he can win at UA but that there are a few more things that need to be in place facility wise and such. He didn't address the Florida question either.
I heard this interview and it immediately put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. The way that Rich Rod answered this question led me to believe that Rich Rod may not be committed to Arizona for the long term. He did say "he thinks" he can win at UA and repeated "we're working on it" several times about different things. To me, he's Arizona's coach until either the school / administration give him everything he wants or some other top flight program calls (whichever happens first).
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

RR turned down Alabama. He went to Michigan and was fired within 3 years. In the same timespan at Arizona he is playing for the Pac 12 championship against a top 5 team he has beaten two times in a row. If he wins, the Cats might actually make the final four of college football for the national championship. How can it get better than that?

He has all the support he could want, is getting immense amounts of $$ for himself and his assistants, has achieved incredible success, is living in perhaps the most incredible climate on earth, no pressure to return to some "glory days" of the past, and has already seen what happens when you leave to a big name school. That is, it comes with TONS of baggage!

I hope RR sees what Lute realized and Sean Miller seems to know: Why not Arizona? He has the chance to build something brand new at Arizona: a top 10 team year in and year out. He also could be here as long as he wants. Lots and lots of positives. He seems very happy to be in Tucson. If he leaves, he leaves and I think Cat fans will wish him the best. I don't think he will.

Now, if I went to that school in Tempe with their head coach and given his track record, I wouldn't know what to think. You could get a text any day ...
:D
Go Cats!!
ztonyg

Post by ztonyg »

Catstatic wrote:RR turned down Alabama. He went to Michigan and was fired within 3 years. In the same timespan at Arizona he is playing for the Pac 12 championship against a top 5 team he has beaten two times in a row. If he wins, the Cats might actually make the final four of college football for the national championship. How can it get better than that?

He has all the support he could want, is getting immense amounts of $$ for himself and his assistants, has achieved incredible success, is living in perhaps the most incredible climate on earth, no pressure to return to some "glory days" of the past, and has already seen what happens when you leave to a big name school. That is, it comes with TONS of baggage!

I hope RR sees what Lute realized and Sean Miller seems to know: Why not Arizona? He has the chance to build something brand new at Arizona: a top 10 team year in and year out. He also could be here as long as he wants. Lots and lots of positives. He seems very happy to be in Tucson. If he leaves, he leaves and I think Cat fans will wish him the best. I don't think he will.

Now, if I went to that school in Tempe with their head coach and given his track record, I wouldn't know what to think. You could get a text any day ...
Go Cats!!
This is precisely what gives me hope that Rich Rod stays.

I still find it interesting that Rich Rod can inherit a football team at a "football" school with a 9-7 record and then go 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6 in his next 3 seasons whereas he inherited a football team at a "basketball" school with a 4-8 record and proceeds to go 8-5, 8-5, and then 10-2. My unscientific take on it is that Rich Rod does better coaching "up" guys who are fighting for their jobs / positions than he does coaching teams full of 4 and 5 star recruits. This also is why I don't necessarily see him going anywhere other then potentially back to West Virginia.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ztonyg wrote:
Catstatic wrote:RR turned down Alabama. He went to Michigan and was fired within 3 years. In the same timespan at Arizona he is playing for the Pac 12 championship against a top 5 team he has beaten two times in a row. If he wins, the Cats might actually make the final four of college football for the national championship. How can it get better than that?

Go Cats!!
This is precisely what gives me hope that Rich Rod stays.

I still find it interesting that Rich Rod can inherit a football team at a "football" school with a 9-7 record and then go 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6 in his next 3 seasons whereas he inherited a football team at a "basketball" school with a 4-8 record and proceeds to go 8-5, 8-5, and then 10-2. My unscientific take on it is that Rich Rod does better coaching "up" guys who are fighting for their jobs / positions than he does coaching teams full of 4 and 5 star recruits. This also is why I don't necessarily see him going anywhere other then potentially back to West Virginia.
Great to see you posting here ztonyg! Congrats btw.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Rich Rod is to Florida as Sean Miller is to Maryland.

Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

As Deion would say, "Pay Da Man!".
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

From everything I have read RichRod isn't on Foley's short list. This isn't really a matter of whether RRod will take the job more if it is even offered. At this point it looks like we are in good shape. But if Freeze, McLewin, Gundy, Chip Kelly, etc. start turning down Florida then things could get scary.

RRod really seems to be happy here, is saying all the right things, and is smart enough to see the roster he has for the 2-3 seasons. I think there are only a few jobs that would be lead me to worry. Only one of those jobs has an opening right now and it looks like they are looking elsewhere.

I would keep in eye on:
-The current Florida opening.......I won't rest easy until they officially name their coach.
-Tennessee, I think Butch Jones gets at least another season or two because he has a stacked recruiting class.
-Clemson, Dabo would appear to be there for the long haul.
-Miami, lets see how Al Golden does next season. If they have another 6-6 type campaign, I would get worried.
-West Virginia, not happening as long as Oliver Luck is the AD. If he were to ever leave then I would get pretty restless. There is a reason why his UofA contract singles out WVU and forces them to have a higher buy-out.
cat77

Post by cat77 »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Congratulations coach!!!!! A well deserved honor!!!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Clemson could worry me since that was his first d1 job

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

awesome
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: