Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gronk4heisman

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by gronk4heisman »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:59 am
The only way to show with "facts" would be for them to replay the game. I could say show me with facts that Arizona would lose to Alabama and you could not by the same measure.

Yards don't win, points do. And our coach was historically bad in the red zone, some of that was personnel but definitely no where near all. This is consistent with his other stops as a play caller.
To take it a step further with your graphic, the biggest outliers in the negative sense (Colo St, USC, Florida, FIU, Nebraska) either fired their coach after last season or they are at the top of the coaches hot seat list (Scott Frost). So if anything this is an argument for bad coaching which does not really help an argument that we would have won against the starters.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We were missing players for the Cal game as well. Plummer was playing hurt to the point that Joiner and Ashworth took snaps.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:03 am
Let's stay in the PAC 12 though!!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:31 am
Let's stay in the PAC 12 though!!
Is anyone actually advocating for that? Everything I see is wait to see all options
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How does anyone know what’s accurate and what’s not. Fox could certainly want the Bay Area market and the B1G could face some court battle or at least scrutiny for poaching UCLA and putting Cal in a tough spot so taking them would be a fix.

Funny how they said two weeks ago that expansion is done for now and all of a sudden they are looking at more schools?

Sucks to be a B1G reject but the 12 isn’t that bad
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Exactly 49. I think it is safe to assume these all could be negation tactics and smokescreens. I would bet the B1G wants ND far far far more than anyone else right now and this could be a way to pressure them
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

It should come as no surprise that the BIG 10 wants to expand to include more west coast teams. Anyone think they'd leave UCLA and USC on an island, with no team closer to them than Nebraska? Stanford as a package with Notre Dame makes sense. So do Oregon and Washington, plus CAL if ND stays independent.

The big question is still, will ESPN allow Oregon and Washington to go to the BIG 10, which is on FOX. If Stanford, Oregon, and UW all go to the BIG 10, that doesn't leave any big money programs out west for ESPN. The four corner schools just isn't enough. If the BIG 10 gets Oregon, UW, and Stanford, the four corner schools will bolt for the BIG 12. No other option at this point.

The wildcard is the SEC. ESPN doesn't want to lose LA and Oregon/UW. If Oregon and UW are hell bent on staying out of the BIG 12, and the ACC is stuck with their contract, that leaves only a west coast pod of the SEC. Right now, everyone is holding waiting to see what Notre Dame does, but it wouldn't surprise me if the PAC signs a 5 year extension with ESPN starting this year (expiring 2027), and by 2025, we'll know where the carved up PAC teams will end up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No doubt ND is the silver tuna. I just don’t see how they leave their independence. They basically have NBC over a barrel. Pay us an outrageous amount or we head to Fox/B1G. They will leverage that for 150m a year or more

Question is does the B1G then still try and get 4 of our remaining group to pair with the LA schools
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Wait this is the most relevant part and bigger news for us
The Pac-12 could be in danger on two fronts. The Big 12 is also zeroing on westward expansion with Arizona, at least, according to sources. There is no indication if Arizona State would follow, though CBS Sports previously reported that ASU, Colorado and Utah were the Big 12's targets. San Diego State is in play for both the Pac-12 and Big 12, sources indicate.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:43 am San Diego State is in play for both the Pac-12 and Big 12, sources indicate.

I wish they would just shut up about SDSU going to the PAC. Seen it dozens of times if not more. The academic elitists serving as campus presidents in the PAC would never allow a CSU (non-research) university in.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:37 am
RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:43 am San Diego State is in play for both the Pac-12 and Big 12, sources indicate.

I wish they would just shut up about SDSU going to the PAC. Seen it dozens of times if not more. The academic elitists serving as campus presidents in the PAC would never allow a CSU (non-research) university in.
It has already been reported that thr PAC-12 would loosen academics to keep the conference going
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 am It has already been reported that thr PAC-12 would loosen academics to keep the conference going
Doesn't it have to be unanimous? ASU and CU would never go for that, same with Cal and Stanford.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Should the conference survive they then have to get a long term locked in agreement from the NW schools (not likely).

Then they need to add maybe a couple teams with TV markets to make up the loss of 6m viewers. SDSU would add 1m and SMU adds the Dallas marketplace. Maybe you add a growing market like UNLV but I can’t think of another western team that moves the needle TV market wise
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:49 am
PHXCATS wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 am It has already been reported that thr PAC-12 would loosen academics to keep the conference going
Doesn't it have to be unanimous? ASU and CU would never go for that, same with Cal and Stanford.
I have not seen anything that says it must be unanimous.

I understand the issue and think that would have been the case until UCLA and USC left. But it is a whole new world now
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:49 am
If the Cal schools, Oregon, and Washington all end up in the B1G, no one is going to care what standards the Pac 12 will have. You know...

... if a tree falls in the woods and no one is ther....

As for ASU and CU, at that point they will be grasping a straws themselves.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Is the conference really unified? It appears Oregon and Washington would leave tomorrow with a B1G offer and Stanford will go if ND goes. Why stay around for that. Those schools are not going to sign anything that locks them in n ACC style.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:04 pm Is the conference really unified? It appears Oregon and Washington would leave tomorrow with a B1G offer and Stanford will go if ND goes. Why stay around for that. Those schools are not going to sign anything that locks them in n ACC style.
Does anyone here even remotely believe that there is even one school in the Pac-12 that would refuse an invite to the BIG??? Seriously!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

We're in a holding pattern, with everyone waiting on what Notre Dame would do. Let's be honest. If the BIG 10 came calling for any PAC school right now, the answer would be yes before the BIG 10 Commissioner even finished the question! Arizona included.

The reason to stay together now is it's likely our best, short term option. The 10 remaining PAC schools have more value than the current BIG 12 without TX and OU. Adding Arizona to the BIG 12 doesn't move their needle either. And with BIG 10 invites on hold until Notre Dame makes a decision, what other options do we have but stay together.

And it's unlikely Arizona can make a move on our own. ABOR will likely stop it, unless ASu agrees to move too. But again, if a BIG 12 move means equal or less money, why make the move?

The wildcard is still the SEC, with ESPN pulling the "purse" strings behind the scenes. The late night east coast start still has value for ESPN. But it takes more than two teams to fill this slot, and UCLA plus USC aren't going to be playing all their home games at 10pm Eastern. The BIG 10 will take more west coast schools. It's when, not if, and if the BIG 10 winds up with Stanford, Oregon, and UW, then it leaves ESPN with the bottom of the PAC to compete with FOX in the late night start.

The BIG 10 also admitting to talking to FSU and Miami is also a warning shot to the SEC. If the BIG 10 can add these two, Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon, and UW, the BIG 10 then becomes a power with top teams coast to coast, and could even supplant the SEC as the top conference. ESPN won't be too happy about this, and may try to keep Oregon and UW on the Networks. A move of the 6 PAC schools to the BIG 12 would accomplish this, but PAC schools minus Arizona don't want to go. So what options does this leave ESPN? The answer, a SEC Pacific coast pod. If the SEC adds Oregon, UW, plus a couple other western schools, plus maybe Clemson and UNC when ACC schools become available, then the SEC becomes a coast to coast power, and likely stays ahead of the BIG 10. Even if Notre Dame commits to the BIG 10.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:12 pm
azcat49 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:04 pm Is the conference really unified? It appears Oregon and Washington would leave tomorrow with a B1G offer and Stanford will go if ND goes. Why stay around for that. Those schools are not going to sign anything that locks them in n ACC style.
Does anyone here even remotely believe that there is even one school in the Pac-12 that would refuse an invite to the BIG??? Seriously!!!
That’s what I am saying. We want out now. A few are waiting for a bigger offer but they want out. The animal is fading, put it out of its misery

If the presidents think the Big 12 is a JUCO league(I assume mostly academically) then why even consider SDSU and UNLV for expansion. These presidents have made mistake after mistake and their hubris will be the death of the conference
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:21 pm
That’s what I am saying. We want out now. A few are waiting for a bigger offer but they want out. The animal is fading, put it out of its misery
We may want out now, but it's not all about us. In fact, it's more about Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. They know a bigger invite from a better conference is coming, but not today. It won't happen until Notre Dame makes up their mind. In the meantime, the 10 PAC schools staying together for a short term deal is likely the best any school can do, before something bigger and better comes along.

And I still don't understand why we would bail to the BIG 12 now. Why shouldn't we wait too to see if something better comes our way too? If Oregon, UW, and Stanford do get a BIG 10 invite, the BIG 12 will still be there for us. If Oregon and UW get an SEC invite, there is a chance we might be invited to tag along. If not? The BIG 12 will still be there for us.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:30 pm
We may want out now, but it's not all about us. In fact, it's more about Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. They know a bigger invite from a better conference is coming, but not today. It won't happen until Notre Dame makes up their mind. In the meantime, the 10 PAC schools staying together for a short term deal is likely the best any school can do, before something bigger and better comes along.

And I still don't understand why we would bail to the BIG 12 now. Why shouldn't we wait too to see if something better comes our way too? If Oregon, UW, and Stanford do get a BIG 10 invite, the BIG 12 will still be there for us. If Oregon and UW get an SEC invite, there is a chance we might be invited to tag along. If not? The BIG 12 will still be there for us.
Simple, we should not let others (UO/UW) decide our destiny.

Should UO/UW decide (at any point in the future) that they need to flee to the Big12 because the B1G is not going to make an offer then the UA risks being the odd man out. The Big12 may very well decide that 16 teams is the optimal size (See SEC/B1G) in which case they may be choosing between UA/asu/Col/Utah for the remaining 2 spots. Given that the UA has the worst football program of those 4 and is situated in the smallest TV market there is more than a good chance that we end up in the same boat as WSU/OSU.........in a glorified MWC+
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Good thread
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:06 pm

Should UO/UW decide (at any point in the future) that they need to flee to the Big12 because the B1G is not going to make an offer then the UA risks being the odd man out. The Big12 may very well decide that 16 teams is the optimal size (See SEC/B1G) in which case they may be choosing between UA/asu/Col/Utah for the remaining 2 spots. Given that the UA has the worst football program of those 4 and is situated in the smallest TV market there is more than a good chance that we end up in the same boat as WSU/OSU.........in a glorified MWC+
Oregon and UW have thumbed their noses down on the BIG 12. So has Colorado, calling the BIG 12 a JUCO league. In what world do these schools do a 180 and suddenly think oh, the BIG 12 is great!?!

Oregon and UW have basically said they have three options. Options 1A and 1B are the BIG 10 and the SEC, and they are just waiting until the phone rings. Option 2 is to stick together with the remaining PAC schools, which has more value than the current BIG 12 minus OU and TX. While possible Oregon and UW could undercut us and run to the BIG 12 without us, they only way this happens is Oregon and UW get left off completely out of the BIG 10 and SEC, as the BIG 10 takes Stanford and CAL, and the SEC decides not to expand west. But how likely is this to happen? Oregon and UW are both more valuable than the Bay Area schools, especially CAL.

Sometimes controlling your destiny requires patience, and reading the room. If we land in the BIG 12 because we have no other options, so be it. But Oregon and UW have zero desire to end up in the BIG 12, and will do anything and everything to avoid it. So why worry about those two taking our potential landing spot in the BIG 12? And if we can somehow tag along and enter the SEC, we should jump at it and don't look back.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:33 pm Good thread
This seems the most likely scenario to me. SDST and Arizona moving to the Big-12. Love it or hate it, It seems clear Arizona powers want out of the Pac-12. This would likely push Utah and Colorado to apply.

It is appearing that SDST choice in conference will be key.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah, this guy seems like a reliable source. lol
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:09 pm Yeah, this guy seems like a reliable source. lol
Check the date
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Lots of people were saying that on Twitter in the spring. Doesn't mean everything he says is right.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Could you please give me some examples so I can follow them as they clearly knew what was going on
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:51 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:06 pm

Oregon and UW have thumbed their noses down on the BIG 12. So has Colorado, calling the BIG 12 a JUCO league. In what world do these schools do a 180 and suddenly think oh, the BIG 12 is great!?!

Oregon and UW have basically said they have three options. Options 1A and 1B are the BIG 10 and the SEC, and they are just waiting until the phone rings. Option 2 is to stick together with the remaining PAC schools, which has more value than the current BIG 12 minus OU and TX. While possible Oregon and UW could undercut us and run to the BIG 12 without us, they only way this happens is Oregon and UW get left off completely out of the BIG 10 and SEC, as the BIG 10 takes Stanford and CAL, and the SEC decides not to expand west. But how likely is this to happen? Oregon and UW are both more valuable than the Bay Area schools, especially CAL.

Sometimes controlling your destiny requires patience, and reading the room. If we land in the BIG 12 because we have no other options, so be it. But Oregon and UW have zero desire to end up in the BIG 12, and will do anything and everything to avoid it. So why worry about those two taking our potential landing spot in the BIG 12? And if we can somehow tag along and enter the SEC, we should jump at it and don't look back.

Oregon and UW have basically said they have three options. Bullshit. Please provide a link where anyone connected to UO/UW stated that Options 1A and 1B are the BIG 10 and the SEC, and they are just waiting until the phone rings. Option 2 is to stick together with the remaining PAC schools, which has more value than the current BIG 12 minus OU and TX. While possible Oregon and UW could undercut us and run to the BIG 12 without us, they only way this happens is Oregon and UW get left off completely out of the BIG 10 and SEC, as the BIG 10 takes Stanford and CAL, and the SEC decides not to expand west. But how likely is this to happen? You have ZERO idea how likely that is. The bottom line is the UA should not gamble on UO/UW screwing the UA Oregon and UW are both more valuable than the Bay Area schools, especially CAL.

Sometimes controlling your destiny requires patience, and reading the room. If we land in the BIG 12 because we have no other options, so be it. But Oregon and UW have zero desire to end up in the BIG 12, and will do anything and everything to avoid it. So why worry about those two taking our potential landing spot in the BIG 12? Because if they do we wind up in the MWCAnd if we can somehow tag along and enter the SEC, we should jump at it and don't look back If you think the UA is getting invited to the SEC you need to submit to an immediate drug test
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Here's an article on Phil Knight, Oregon's Godfather, exploring either the BIG 10 or the SEC for Oregon. https://www.on3.com/college/oregon-duck ... 12-big-12/

And here's a Duck op-ed saying the BIG12/PAC merger not happening is ultimately a good thing for Oregon:

"In the most simple sense, the Ducks should not have wanted to join the Big 12. They are better than that. A perfect world sees them go to the Big Ten, where they can compete and likely hold their own with Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Instead of settling for the Big 12 and Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Baylor, the Ducks will now get to enter wait-and-see mode while they continue to pursue those Big Ten dreams."

And here's the article about the BIG 10 looking to add more west coast teams: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... onsidered/

The BIG 10 adding more in the west makes perfect sense on two fronts. One, USC and UCLA are not going to be happy, long term, on a BIG 10 island with the next closest conference rival being Nebraska. Two, FOX, like ESPN, is looking for late night content that can draw over 1 million viewers. But you can't have consistent 10 pm Eastern starts with just two schools in the west. Both USC and UCLA aren't going to want to play the majority of their home games starting that late. And there will be weeks when there are no home games in LA, as one team may b eon a bye, and the other on the road. It takes a pod of teams to have consistent, late start games.

In the end, Oregon will get their wish. Either BIG 10 or the SEC. ESPN has already lost the LA market. They aren't going to want to lose the all three of the top three, west coast teams to FOX. ESPN will make the SEC make a push to add Oregon and Washington, plus other west coast teams to create a pod to keep ESPN in the late start game. If Oregon, Stanford, and UW all go BIG 10, then 10 pm Eastern, Fox will be showing games featuring these 5 teams. While ESPN will be stuck with the four corner PAC schools, who will flee to the BIG 12. And Indiana at UCLA will far outdraw Texas Tech at Arizona in terms of tv ratings and revenue.

ESPN would be happy to have the four corner PAC plus OU and UW head to the BIG 12. That keeps ESPN competitive with plenty of late night, solid content. But the only PAC school that wants this is us. Everyone else? They feel the same way Colorado does, which called the BIG 12 a JUCO league: https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/ ... columnist/

If the PAC teams were happy being in the BIG 12, we'd be there already. But the remaining PAC schools have more value than the BIG 12 minus OU and TX. So the short term move is sign one last PAC contract with ESPN, and wait until Notre Dame, the BIG 10, and the SEC make their moves. And one way or another, Oregon and Washington are getting a call up from one of the big 2 conferences, unless you honestly think the BIG 10 and USC/UCLA are happy with leaving them on an island, and FOX/ESPN doesn't care about having solid content for the late night Saturday start time.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

While I attended Arizona and still live in the state, I grew up in Florida and have Gator family members. My first ever college game was in Gainesville, during the Emmitt Smith era. Still follow the Gators and post on Gator Country. There's a thread on that board saying the SEC should add Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/t ... ol.552943/

This is part of a post as to why it is best for the SEC, and Florida.

"In a game theory world what happens if the SEC stands pat?

1. Best case: B10 does nothing, ND stays independent, B12/PAC consolidation, ACC stays. We end up with SEC dominant, B10 second, and B12/PAC combo and ACC clearly behind.

But why would the B10 want to settle for that? Logically it makes little sense, hence why the rumors are out there that they are already looking to add

So worst case: B10 raids ACC and PAC, and with that gets ND. Think Oregon, Wash, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, FSU, UNC, Miami, Clemson, UVA and ND. That’s get them to mid 20s in teams. That is coast to coast and north to south.

The leftover PAC, B12, ACC teams join small conferences.

B10 is clearly the dominant conference in terms of prestige as well as $. They can have a legitimate national tournament that leaves out the SEC. Florida in this case possibly falls behind FSU.

Not exactly the best scenario is it?

So what does the SEC have to do to avoid it?

They can either pray that the B10 is passive or the SEC can beat the B10 to the punch. Those are the two options."

Again, what are the odds the BIG 10 stand pat and leaves UCLA and USC on an island with their closest rival being Nebraska?

And even if Arizona is left out of the BIG 10 and potential SEC grab, Oregon and Washington will not be. Meaning there will be space for us to land in the BIG 12.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Is it just me or did Kliavkoff's media day statement come off as overly-optimistic with a dash of douchebag sprinkled in?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Basketcats wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:20 pm Is it just me or did Kliavkoff's media day statement come off as overly-optimistic with a dash of douchebag sprinkled in?
I do like for Arizona that he admits the B12 is looking at other PAC programs. Sorry George, we don't want to be part of a sinking ship.

“We haven’t decided if we’re going shopping there or not yet. I’ve been spending four weeks trying to defend against grenades that have been lobbed in from every corner of the Big 12 trying to destabilize our remaining conference.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Those grenades have hurt, the league is taking on water George. Looks like the abandon ship signal is very near.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:13 pm
Basketcats wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:20 pm Is it just me or did Kliavkoff's media day statement come off as overly-optimistic with a dash of douchebag sprinkled in?
I do like for Arizona that he admits the B12 is looking at other PAC programs. Sorry George, we don't want to be part of a sinking ship.

“We haven’t decided if we’re going shopping there or not yet. I’ve been spending four weeks trying to defend against grenades that have been lobbed in from every corner of the Big 12 trying to destabilize our remaining conference.
Too late. The B1G already got us with a torpedo from a u-boat.
Mike Luke's burner account.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's brutal!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

This would be stupid, eff LA at this point:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:10 am Could you please give me some examples so I can follow them as they clearly knew what was going on
Here's one (Minnesota guy).
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If this is true, you'd hope someone else would want to join us so we could finally jump to the Big 12.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The more I read and hear about this, I get the sense that the remaining 10 will band together and that they will sign a short term deal.

Near the end of that contract the B1G and the SEC will pick off schools to compete against one another along with ESPIN and FOX who are the ones behind all this movement.

The Big 12 and ACC will get chump change money (compared to the B1G/SEC) with the PAC leftovers having an even lessor piece of the pie.

I think the B1G is on no hurry to sink the PAC and would love the Big 12 to finish off the conference. I do think they are hoping the SEC gets shut out of the west but the SEC is to smart for that.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:41 pm The more I read and hear about this, I get the sense that the remaining 10 will band together and that they will sign a short term deal.

Near the end of that contract the B1G and the SEC will pick off schools to compete against one another along with ESPIN and FOX who are the ones behind all this movement.

The Big 12 and ACC will get chump change money (compared to the B1G/SEC) with the PAC leftovers having an even lessor piece of the pie.

I think the B1G is on no hurry to sink the PAC and would love the Big 12 to finish off the conference. I do think they are hoping the SEC gets shut out of the west but the SEC is to smart for that.
The 10 PAC teams will sign a short term contract. It allows Notre Dame to decide what it's doing. The other conferences is also using the PAC as a streaming guinea pig. $30 million is the tier 1 cap, but how much can the PAC get in streaming rights? 33% and another $10 million per school? 50%? Whatever the PAC gets will serve as a benchmark for the other conferences.

By the time the PAC contract runs out, the conference will be gone. Stanford and CAL are likely B1G schools. If Oregon and UW go B1G too, the SEC likely never goes west, and those who want us in the BIG 12 gets their wish.

If the SEC and ESPN want to be a player out west, they grab Oregon and UW, plus a few more. Maybe Arizona is part of the deal? If not, we land again in the BIG 12.

The questions are how many western teams will the B1G take? How many, if any, will the SEC take? After that, it's just a matter where each school lands.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:41 pm The more I read and hear about this, I get the sense that the remaining 10 will band together and that they will sign a short term deal.

It only makes sense, because this is the dumbest group of University Presidents ever collected in history, so naturally all of them would do something that would only benefit Oregon, Washington, and maybe Stanford. I'm so proud to continue on with this legacy of a conference that hasn't accomplished anything of note in a worthwhile sport in roughly two decades. Boy it'll sure be fun to be the Gonzaga of the Pac-10, I can't wait. :roll:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:00 am

It only makes sense, because this is the dumbest group of University Presidents ever collected in history, so naturally all of them would do something that would only benefit Oregon, Washington, and maybe Stanford. I'm so proud to continue on with this legacy of a conference that hasn't accomplished anything of note in a worthwhile sport in roughly two decades. Boy it'll sure be fun to be the Gonzaga of the Pac-10, I can't wait. :roll:
If the 10 PAC schools are more valuable than the BIG 12 minus OU and Texas, and the short term PAC contract is worth more than anything the BIG 12 can get, how is staying in the PAC only beneficial to UW and Oregon?

And if the SEC/ESPN decide to expand west, they will take more than UW and Oregon. The other schools that go would certainly benefit.

And if the SEC doesn't expand west, and UW and Oregon end up in the B1G, the BIG 12 will still be there for us.

There are three landing spots for Oregon and UW. If they go to the B1G, we go BIG 12. If they stay in the PAC, we stay with them. If they go SEC, if we're lucky, we go with them. No luck, we land in the BIG 12. What is truly dumb would be going to the BIG 12 now. We would make less money there short term versus a PAC contract, and would be stuck there should the SEC decide to expand west.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:42 am

If the 10 PAC schools are more valuable than the BIG 12 minus OU and Texas, and the short term PAC contract is worth more than anything the BIG 12 can get, how is staying in the PAC only beneficial to UW and Oregon?

And if the SEC/ESPN decide to expand west, they will take more than UW and Oregon. The other schools that go would certainly benefit.

And if the SEC doesn't expand west, and UW and Oregon end up in the B1G, the BIG 12 will still be there for us.

There are three landing spots for Oregon and UW. If they go to the B1G, we go BIG 12. If they stay in the PAC, we stay with them. If they go SEC, if we're lucky, we go with them. No luck, we land in the BIG 12. What is truly dumb would be going to the BIG 12 now. We would make less money there short term versus a PAC contract, and would be stuck there should the SEC decide to expand west.
Jesus Fucking Christ. There you go again with rainbows and lollipops talking about the SEC expanding west. Just stop and get some help.

A short term commitment for maybe a little more money to help Oregon/UW's situation is not good for Arizona or any other school not named Oregon State or Wazzu. Stop pretending it is. Go away now.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:08 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:42 am

Jesus Fucking Christ. There you go again with rainbows and lollipops talking about the SEC expanding west. Just stop and get some help.

A short term commitment for maybe a little more money to help Oregon/UW's situation is not good for Arizona or any other school not named Oregon State or Wazzu. Stop pretending it is. Go away now.
Please explain why more money short term to stay with the PAC before likely ending up in the BIG 12 is worse for Arizona than taking less money to go to the BIG 12 now? Jesus fucking Christ, there's no logic to this decision.

If the B1G doesn't expand more, and leaves the LA schools on an island, we stay with the PAC and make more money than leaving for the BIG 12. But the B1G will expand more.

If the B1G and FOX become the big winner in the west, and grab Oregon and UW, then the BIG 12 becomes our best option.

If ESPN doesn't want to see USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, and UW all ON FOX, and the B1G is expanding west, ESPN's only option is an SEC Pacific pod. We get an invite, great. If not, then again, the BIG 12 is our best option.

Just saying JFC this is stupid, without any explanation or showing flaws in the logic is a poor argument. There are good reasons why all other PAC schools see fleeing to the BIG 12 now as a silly decision. We can make more on our own, and if/when the PAC does end, the BIG 12 will still be there as a backup plan.