Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CardiacCats97

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:20 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:53 am
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:41 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:09 am
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:39 am Making a shit joke doesn't change that.
Shit joke from a shit fan, am I right?

You must be a hell of a lot of fun at the tailgates.
I don’t know a thing about you so no idea but the fan base overall for the entire conference is shit compared to the other conferences that all got paid
Blanket statements are stupid.

Are the WSU fans who bring their flag to every Gameday shit?

Are the Arizona fans who pack Vegas every year and sell out McKale every game and who rip national pundits on Twitter for their disrespect and post religiously on these messages boards shit?

I won’t speak for every fan or every fan base, but the results haven’t really been all that spectacular. Hard to truly get behind a conference where the last football national championship was 19 years ago (and was vacated) and the last basketball national championship was ours over a quarter of a century ago. And we aren’t regularly putting teams in the Playoff or the Final Four.

Shit fans? Or shit conference?
The big ten hasn’t won a basketball title since 2000 and only Ohio State has won in football over that timeframe and only twice.

Yet Big Ten gets all the viewership thus all the money.

And notice how I said overall. Yeah our basketball fans are great and we have D at best football fans.

The lack of viewership and attendance is the reason for the conference failing to get a tv deal
The B1G has had 8 participants in the College Football Playoff in the 9 years it has existed.

The PAC has had 2.

The B1G had 2 just this year.

Yeah, keep blaming those shit fans for not supporting a totally subpar product.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Amazon already has a an app for viewing. View Prime, or something. For TNF, Amazon already negotiated a deal with DirecTv Business so the games can be shown on sports bars and restaurants. I would imagine Amazon would negotiate with DTV Business to get PAC games on there too.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:23 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:20 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:53 am
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:41 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:09 am
Shit joke from a shit fan, am I right?

You must be a hell of a lot of fun at the tailgates.
I don’t know a thing about you so no idea but the fan base overall for the entire conference is shit compared to the other conferences that all got paid
Blanket statements are stupid.

Are the WSU fans who bring their flag to every Gameday shit?

Are the Arizona fans who pack Vegas every year and sell out McKale every game and who rip national pundits on Twitter for their disrespect and post religiously on these messages boards shit?

I won’t speak for every fan or every fan base, but the results haven’t really been all that spectacular. Hard to truly get behind a conference where the last football national championship was 19 years ago (and was vacated) and the last basketball national championship was ours over a quarter of a century ago. And we aren’t regularly putting teams in the Playoff or the Final Four.

Shit fans? Or shit conference?
The big ten hasn’t won a basketball title since 2000 and only Ohio State has won in football over that timeframe and only twice.

Yet Big Ten gets all the viewership thus all the money.

And notice how I said overall. Yeah our basketball fans are great and we have D at best football fans.

The lack of viewership and attendance is the reason for the conference failing to get a tv deal
The B1G has had 8 participants in the College Football Playoff in the 9 years it has existed.

The PAC has had 2.

The B1G had 2 just this year.

Yeah, keep blaming those shit fans for not supporting a totally subpar product.
You are saying UA and PAC-12 are fair weather fans

Glad you agree
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am saying UofA doesn’t have fair weather fans. We support all of the programs that compete on a great level.

Football was mismanaged for the last decade and the fans got tired of it. Mistakes were made in the hiring of coaches and we the fans called them out on it.

Last season a 5 win team played to about an 88% attendance figure and this year we will see 90% plus.

The problem this conference has is it leadership, not the fans
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:33 pm You are saying UA and PAC-12 are fair weather fans

Glad you agree
I’m saying that you’re engaged in victim-blaming and you’ve proven there’s no joke there.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So Women's basketball just moved up to great when they started winning? Bullshit. UA is big time fair weather.

You are the only game in town and have a huge alumni base in town and around the state and nation, yet you cant draw in person or tv. It is fair weather. Just admit it. It is the biggest reason for the TV deal not being done.

Look at what George has actually done in football in two years. Football is a million times better than when he took over. It is not on him that there is no demand. He is helping create a good product on the field
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:25 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:33 pm You are saying UA and PAC-12 are fair weather fans

Glad you agree
I’m saying that you’re engaged in victim-blaming and you’ve proven there’s no joke there.
Saying PAC-12 fans are the victim because they dont watch the games is so incredibly dumb.

If alumni watched the games it would be in a better spot with the TV deal.

PAC-12 alumni dont care as much. That is fine. But be real. Dont blame other factors for it. Just admit it and move on. Nebraska has been awful for how long, yet they still sell out and draw on TV? Are they victims too?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

“Nebraska football's lack of success reflected in 2022 attendance numbers”

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... dance.aspx
Univ. of Nebraska football’s six consecutive losing seasons “took a significant toll on gate attendance” during the 2022 season, according to Sam McKewon of the OMAHA WORLD-HERALD
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:43 pm “Nebraska football's lack of success reflected in 2022 attendance numbers”

Univ. of Nebraska football’s six consecutive losing seasons “took a significant toll on gate attendance” during the 2022 season, according to Sam McKewon of the OMAHA WORLD-HERALD
They still sell 80k tickets a game and the attendance is far better than UA's good years
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:49 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:43 pm “Nebraska football's lack of success reflected in 2022 attendance numbers”

They still sell 80k tickets a game and the attendance is far better than UA's good years
They stop showing up but somehow they’re not fair weather shit fans? Oh right, because then you’d look like an ass for using them as an example of diehards to shit on your fellow Arizona fans.

Great talk buddy. :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:49 pm

It's the only game in town and the whole state for that matter.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I lived in Nebraska for a bit and still have 10 or so cousins that live in small towns in Nebraska. The towns almost completely shut down during games because there is nothing else going on. It's a totally different culture than Arizona
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Put a winning product n the field and CAT fans will show up. Probably the same for most west coast schools.

As for the viewers, it’s certainly known that our west there is far more options for fun than sitting in front of a TV and watching a game. The networks already price that in
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:10 pm I lived in Nebraska for a bit and still have 10 or so cousins that live in small towns in Nebraska. The towns almost completely shut down during games because there is nothing else going on. It's a totally different culture than Arizona
Exactly

They care about football all the time. Not just when Nebraska is good
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:58 pm Put a winning product n the field and CAT fans will show up. Probably the same for most west coast schools.

As for the viewers, it’s certainly known that our west there is far more options for fun than sitting in front of a TV and watching a game. The networks already price that in
Definition of fair weather
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:59 pm
84Cat wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:10 pm I lived in Nebraska for a bit and still have 10 or so cousins that live in small towns in Nebraska. The towns almost completely shut down during games because there is nothing else going on. It's a totally different culture than Arizona
Exactly

They care about football all the time. Not just when Nebraska is good
Except their attendance is going down.
Because of six straight losing seasons.
Even with nothing else to do.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:08 pm Yea I doubt you make a 300-400m investment and give it away for free.
“Free with Prime.“ Amazon dropped $465m for 1 season of that god awful lord of the rings show.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:19 am Don't think Amazon is flush with cash now, along with ESPN and Disney.
amazon was sitting on $70b cash on hand at the end of Q4 22. Disney is sitting on $11.6b.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

GlobalCat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:59 am
Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:19 am Don't think Amazon is flush with cash now, along with ESPN and Disney.
amazon was sitting on $70b cash on hand at the end of Q4 22. Disney is sitting on $11.6b.
Yup and they have different business models. Amazon isn't desperate for content, especially for anything less than Tier 1 Pac 12.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This new Ourand/Marchand podcast is absolutely brutal for you Pro-Pac 12 guys.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just for the record, I think we are making a poor choice by staying In this wrecknif a conference

I also think being buried in tier 1 games on Amazon is a very bad move.

That said I am consigned that this is where it is headed. So given those things a couple of questions.

You’re saying you expect Amazon to broadcast these games through Amazon Prime and they will not make you have a special sports app subscription?

Does that also mean the schools can pick their time for kickoff and we won’t have to worry about a late window?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:32 am Just for the record, I think we are making a poor choice by staying In this wrecknif a conference

I also think being buried in tier 1 games on Amazon is a very bad move.

That said I am consigned that this is where it is headed. So given those things a couple of questions.

You’re saying you expect Amazon to broadcast these games through Amazon Prime and they will not make you have a special sports app subscription?

Does that also mean the schools can pick their time for kickoff and we won’t have to worry about a late window?
If Amazon only gets one game then the chances of them not putting us on a special sports app rises. If they do land us and the NBA though, watch out, all bets are off how they intend to handle/plan/pay for that.

The schools never make the decision for time of kickoff. Amazon probably would.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Will Amazon offer free returns if we aren't satisfied with the results of the game?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:26 am This new Ourand/Marchand podcast is absolutely brutal for you Pro-Pac 12 guys.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Fox being out is no surprise. They are all in on the B1G (with the LA market for late night games) and the Big 12.

By that report it appears Amazon knows it doesn’t have to over bud since no one is competing for this dreadful conference. ESPIN probably would take a few games but they have the SEC and the ACC and some cheap MWC.

So that stupid tweet from the Presidents pointing to some great offers was just like this conference, bull$hit.
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

For those that don't want to listen this is the summary.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Kliavkoff gonna try to get a deal with CSPAN2?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I alluded to this scenario a few pages back. Disney & ESPN are both going thru reorgs. I had heard that ESPN had completely dropped out due to their reorg. Usually it's good to go last to see what others are getting but with the downturn in the economy and streaming not being profitable for most outlets, the timing is horrible. Bottom line, the Pac is fucked. As long as we have a standing opening with the Big12 we can wait but we need to jump asap if things keep going in the same direction
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Certainly seems like the 11th hour for the PAC. One of two things are going to happen, in my opinion. Kliavkoff pulls a rabbit out of his hat and gets a decent deal. Or, the clock strikes midnight, the 4-corners go BIG12, which leaves the Bay Area and UW and OU to go B1G, but likely at a reduced rate. WSU and OSU are likely left on the outside looking in.

If we can get $35 million a year from the BIG12, that might be our best deal. At this point, not sure the PAC can top it. Especially if Amazon is only looking for a single game of the week, and not tonnage.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:27 am I had heard that ESPN had completely dropped out due to their reorg.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

84Cat wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:16 pm Everything's fine

Remember this…….Good times 😂😂😂
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:44 am
84Cat wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:16 pm Everything's fine

Remember this…….Good times 😂😂😂
To be fair that's how you knew how bad things really were.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Why explore expansion if Amazon didn’t want the tonnage? Initial reports were that whoever was bidding wanted more inventory?

Sounds like Lucy pulled the football from under Charlie Brown
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:23 am Why explore expansion if Amazon didn’t want the tonnage? Initial reports were that whoever was bidding wanted more inventory?

Sounds like Lucy pulled the football from under Charlie Brown
Apple or ESPN+ is the only thing that makes sense. Apple is infinitely worse than Amazon, so it would make sense if we signed a deal with them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Just speculation, but when Amazon lost Sunday Ticket, it no longer wanted the tonnage of college sports. Sunday ticket requires broadcasting of a number of games at the same time. Something that fits in with the college conference sports schedule. But without a reason to have multiple channels, Amazon decided it's likely better for them to dip their toe into college sports with more of a game of the week model.

Not sure if Google/YouTube is a potential player with the PAC. They won the NFL contract, and having a college conference slate of games now makes more sense for them. But they have hardly been mentioned with the PAC. May have no interest.

Apple has the MLS contract, and while soccer is growing in the US, it's not the NFL, and probably never will be. The MLS version of every game would also require multiple broadcasts at the same time, so the fit is there for college sports. But if we go with Apple, the money better be there. If it's just a close match with Apple, like $32 million a year, going BIG12 is better for us short term.

A rumor on the BIG 12 is if they expand, they want a longer Grant of Rights from the new members than the current contract. Current contract ends 2030/31 season, and future BIG12 schools GOR ends when the contract ends. Meaning, if they leave early, they get no money from the rest of the contract. The BIG12 may be worried that new PAC additions would only be short-term, especially Oregon and UW, and the BIG12 would want to lock them into the BIG12 for a longer period than just the length of the contract. Especially with the B1G contract ending just a year later than the BIG12.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:53 am Just speculation, but when Amazon lost Sunday Ticket, it no longer wanted the tonnage of college sports. Sunday ticket requires broadcasting of a number of games at the same time. Something that fits in with the college conference sports schedule. But without a reason to have multiple channels, Amazon decided it's likely better for them to dip their toe into college sports with more of a game of the week model.

Not sure if Google/YouTube is a potential player with the PAC. They won the NFL contract, and having a college conference slate of games now makes more sense for them. But they have hardly been mentioned with the PAC. May have no interest.

Apple has the MLS contract, and while soccer is growing in the US, it's not the NFL, and probably never will be. The MLS version of every game would also require multiple broadcasts at the same time, so the fit is there for college sports. But if we go with Apple, the money better be there. If it's just a close match with Apple, like $32 million a year, going BIG12 is better for us short term.

A rumor on the BIG 12 is if they expand, they want a longer Grant of Rights from the new members than the current contract. Current contract ends 2030/31 season, and future BIG12 schools GOR ends when the contract ends. Meaning, if they leave early, they get no money from the rest of the contract. The BIG12 may be worried that new PAC additions would only be short-term, especially Oregon and UW, and the BIG12 would want to lock them into the BIG12 for a longer period than just the length of the contract. Especially with the B1G contract ending just a year later than the BIG12.
YouTube's contract with the NFL is different than what the Pac 12 is looking for. YouTube is doing the exact same model as DirecTV did. They're providers, not broadcasters.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If I was the Big 12 I would want a longer GOR’s as well. If I was Oregon and UDub though I would just take a lower amount from the B1G or go independent until you get that invite.

Bad timing for the PAC and they have been out maneuvered at every corner. Once again the leadership has failed in epic proportions
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:57 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:53 am Just speculation, but when Amazon lost Sunday Ticket, it no longer wanted the tonnage of college sports. Sunday ticket requires broadcasting of a number of games at the same time. Something that fits in with the college conference sports schedule. But without a reason to have multiple channels, Amazon decided it's likely better for them to dip their toe into college sports with more of a game of the week model.

YouTube's contract with the NFL is different than what the Pac 12 is looking for. YouTube is doing the exact same model as DirecTV did. They're providers, not broadcasters.
YouTube mostly streams other channels. But they do have their own content, YouTube Red, that is exclusive to YT subscribers only. Sunday Ticket will be YT exclusive for subscribers only. For Sunday Ticket, they will have to have up to 8 channels at a time.

As of right now, there is no business agreement for Sunday Ticket. Meaning, if this Sunday were a full schedule of NFL games, there would be no way for sports bars/restaurants to broadcast out of market games. The Sunday Ticket agreement is in-home only. Sports bars could potentially subscribe to YT and stream all the games, but how many sports bars have the current infrastructure already in place to stream games over the number of TVs they currently have? Not to mention, places in rural areas where the infrastructure for high-speed may not currently exist, but satellites work well.

DTV left the channels they designated for Sunday Ticket go dark for 7 months of the year, and 6 1/2 days out of the week. But they could afford to, as in-home and business subscribers still relied on DTV for all their television viewing. YT may be interested in having other content on these channels so they just don't sit there 95% of the time. Having a college conference package fills this void, not only on Saturday for football, but for all sports.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:45 pm

YouTube mostly streams other channels. But they do have their own content, YouTube Red, that is exclusive to YT subscribers only. Sunday Ticket will be YT exclusive for subscribers only. For Sunday Ticket, they will have to have up to 8 channels at a time.

As of right now, there is no business agreement for Sunday Ticket. Meaning, if this Sunday were a full schedule of NFL games, there would be no way for sports bars/restaurants to broadcast out of market games. The Sunday Ticket agreement is in-home only. Sports bars could potentially subscribe to YT and stream all the games, but how many sports bars have the current infrastructure already in place to stream games over the number of TVs they currently have? Not to mention, places in rural areas where the infrastructure for high-speed may not currently exist, but satellites work well.

DTV left the channels they designated for Sunday Ticket go dark for 7 months of the year, and 6 1/2 days out of the week. But they could afford to, as in-home and business subscribers still relied on DTV for all their television viewing. YT may be interested in having other content on these channels so they just don't sit there 95% of the time. Having a college conference package fills this void, not only on Saturday for football, but for all sports.
I forgot about YouTube Red. The fact that I forgot about YouTube Red is literally reason enough for me to never even humor the thought of partnering with YouTube to air our content.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not that I realized they were in the mix, but it's now at the point where the 4 corner schools should just go to the Big 12 right now. Although many of us have been saying that for months.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:51 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:45 pm

I forgot about YouTube Red. The fact that I forgot about YouTube Red is literally reason enough for me to never even humor the thought of partnering with YouTube to air our content.
YouTube is certainly known more for cat videos, and not producing it's own, high-quality content. But when the NFL Sunday Ticket starts on YT, perhaps that changes?

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Business aspect. Does YT follow the Amazon TNF model and agree to allow Sunday Ticket to be shown on DTV? Or, will YT force businesses to get the content only through YT?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ohio St just cancelled its games vs Washington in 24/25. Sounds like maybe this deck of cards is about to collapse? Coincidence?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:21 pm Ohio St just cancelled its games vs Washington in 24/25. Sounds like maybe this deck of cards is about to collapse? Coincidence?
It's going to be a conference game soon so why keep it on the schedule

This is truly sad for this old timer. I remember being in the WAC and looking up to all the great Pac-8 teams. I thought we had made the big time when we joined the Pac-10

Edit: Maybe more to this than I was thinking
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Seems pretty simple, just one west coast trip a year to USC/UCLA. Along with an expanded CFP making it easier to get in.

:D
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:08 pm Seems pretty simple, just one west coast trip a year to USC/UCLA. Along with an expanded CFP making it easier to get in.

:D
I suspect the administrators fear the players (kinda like their fans) will take a trip to the West Coast and end up transferring to get away from the Midwest.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Get us the FUCK out of this shithole conference. PLEASE
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Not PAC news, but related, TV rights news. Diamond Sports Group, which owns and operates Bally Sports TV Channels (former Fox Sports regional channels like FS Arizona) has missed an interest-only payment of $140 million. This triggers a 30-day period where they can try and restructure, either with or without some sort of bankruptcy. As the article states, the big issue is loss of cable subscribers, which at one point, was over 100 million, but has now dwindled to 70 million, and falling. (https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/15/spor ... erest.html)

DSG is likely going to try and negotiate streaming rights with the leagues, who now own them. If DSG is successful, what this means is those who like to follow teams like the Suns and Diamondbacks will no longer need a cable/satellite operator to watch every game. Instead, those games will be streamed on some TBD service. Not sure what happens, but I don't think the leagues will give up streaming rights that easily.

Also not sure how this effects the current PAC situation. Good news, is more live sports content will likely be streaming only in the future, meaning more sports fans will be paying for streaming services to follow their teams. Bad news, is that's more streaming competition for the PAC, assuming it survives.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sports revenue is gonna decline in the coming years
Unfortunately UA isn't locked into a contract beyond next year

Football will be fine. NBA MLB may lose revenue in the next deal