Steve Patterson is still insane

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Steve Patterson is still insane

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Simply put, Greg is on everyones short list!
Not according to UCLA fans on the reddit college football board. They say Byrne isn't even a top five to ten ad
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

CalStateTempe wrote:Does shaggy Texas return to shaggy bevo?

Dill what was the actual story sit the name change? No I'm not going to read that 83 page thread.
Patterson hit them with a cease and desist order regarding the unauthorized use of "bevo."
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Not according to UCLA fans on the reddit college football board. They say Byrne isn't even a top five to ten ad
Haha. I just searched through all 800 comments of the Steve Patterson firing thread on reddit and did not see a single mention of Greg Byrne, let alone criticism of him from UCLA fan.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

dc4azcats wrote:
UAdevil wrote:Doug Gottlieb (yeah I know...) Just reported that Mack was rumored to be a candidate.
Of course he is. Doesn't mean he gets the job but you could obviously do worse. He cares about the school, has plenty of donors who like him. Understands what it's like to be a coach and all that comes with it - and he can be the perfect cheerleader which is also a big part of being the AD.
Patterson never figured out you can't tell billionaires to go fuck themselves. You don't have to do what they say, but you have to pretend their input matters. You can't turn your back on a group of guys who donate $25M annually to the school.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I can't think of anyone that is more of a complete opposite of Byrne than Patterson.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bruins01 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Haha. I just searched through all 800 comments of the Steve Patterson firing thread on reddit and did not see a single mention of Greg Byrne, let alone criticism of him from UCLA fan.
There's more than one thread. But it was specifically a whiny ucla fan saying how awesome guys like guerrero and Foley at Florida are.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Was there some mention of where Greg Bryne is rated among AD's? I'd say he's one of the better ones in the PAC-12, but is that regarded nationally? I mean, our AD is highly regarded but I'd fire him in a second
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Bruins01 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
There's more than one thread. But it was specifically a whiny ucla fan saying how awesome guys like guerrero and Foley at Florida are.
Sure there was. Even if you're telling the truth (and I also like how suddenly "fans" in your prior post has turned into "a whiny UCLA fan" in this one)... that he praised Guerrero is a pretty damn clear giveaway that he was being sarcastic and you, as Arizona fans tend to be, were more than a little too touchy.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bruins01 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Bruins01 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Sure there was. Even if you're telling the truth (and I also like how suddenly "fans" in your prior post has turned into "a whiny UCLA fan" in this one)... that he praised Guerrero is a pretty damn clear giveaway that he was being sarcastic and you, as Arizona fans tend to be, were more than a little too touchy.
nope.

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

MrBug708 wrote:Was there some mention of where Greg Bryne is rated among AD's? I'd say he's one of the better ones in the PAC-12, but is that regarded nationally? I mean, our AD is highly regarded but I'd fire him in a second
Well there's this.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... rne-mack-b

However, not that internet comments are an accurate gauge, there's not one comment on that article that even mentions GB.

I think the combination of Texas exceptionalism + A&M taint + "another guy from Arizona" stupidity + GB being seen as too young/green will cause them to look elsewhere, I'm not particularly worried, yet.

Once the Byrne/Miller/Rodriguez kids are all out of the house in 3-5 years, I will be much more worried...but now, with both major programs trending upward, with not-unreasonable pressure but plenty of accolades..I guess I am optimistic that the triumvirate wants to stick around and hang a few banners before moving on.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Newportcat wrote:This is when you know you hate your rival. When you hear that their former AD who left and is now at another school got fired, and you come on this board to discuss it but see a bunch of people already talking trash about him.

Man we all hate ASU that much
I hate ASU immensely but that has very little to do with my fascination w/ the Patterson train wreck.

For me, it's more the fact that this guy has basically succeeded in his professional life through a combination of backstabbing, conniving, dumb luck, and bullshittery, and presents virtually no substance or value. He pursues money like a 16-year old pursues ass, with no forethought, subtlety, or consideration of the consequences. Basically, I like seeing people like that fail, as unfortunately it's all too rare (see Kiffin, Lane or Scott, Larry).

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Patterson will walk away with close to a $6 mil buyout. I'd say he's crazy like a fox. He rolled in, chapped a bunch of asses and then rolled out with $6 mil for 22 months work - plus the $3 they paid him in salary. Make that $9 mil total.

Well done!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

azthrillhouse wrote:For me, it's more the fact that this guy has basically succeeded in his professional life through a combination of backstabbing, conniving, dumb luck, and bullshittery, and presents virtually no substance or value.
Wow, how did you do that? You just described the former Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbot, to an absolute 'T'. The party just woke up to him and kicked him out the other day.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

dc4azcats wrote:I know some folks who are close to GB and they still believe that he's interested in a big SEC job or a Commissioners job first and foremost. Can't see Texas at a time that they're circling the wagons, take a guy who's Dad was the AD at TAM. That's not a knock on Greg of course it's just that the conversation isn't going there. They want a Texas guy and that's who they will get.

My only comment on the Mack Brown as AD is that you don't have to be the Business smart guy to be the AD - you hire somebody to do that part of it while you do all of the social part of being AD. I don't know who it is now but John Perrin was the long time money guy and business side of the UA AD. Patterson as somebody pointed out (Wilner I think?), is that guy but he doesn't have the personality to do the other part of the AD job which is as equally important as the business side. Meeting with donors, coaches and student athletes.
The interim AD is Mike Perrin. Related?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichardCranium wrote:
azthrillhouse wrote:For me, it's more the fact that this guy has basically succeeded in his professional life through a combination of backstabbing, conniving, dumb luck, and bullshittery, and presents virtually no substance or value.
Wow, how did you do that? You just described the former Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbot, to an absolute 'T'. The party just woke up to him and kicked him out the other day.
And I thought he was talking about Lane Kiffen.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:
Time to play this again. :D

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Merkin wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:
Oh, I mentioned Lane, and Larry Scott....but, on my drive home today, I realized who also fits this description.....

John...

Mackovic.

(shudder)