lets talk '16

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

carolinacat

Re: lets talk '16

Post by carolinacat »

Does Lightfoot seriously think that KU won't recruit over him in the coming years? If he's really just a role player, then he's gonna be a role player at any major program.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If he wanted to be "the man," he could do what Zimmerman did and play for a third tier program.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I won't lose any sleep if lightfoot goes to KU. He will be recruited over at what ever school he goes to.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:If he wanted to be "the man," he could do what Zimmerman did and play for a third tier program.
He could be the man at Stanford, which is why I've never understood his fascination with Arizona and Kansas. I hope I'm wrong and he tears it up on the big stage.

Zimmerman was going to UNLV all along. UCLA was really in it, and he couldn't have come to Arizona had he wanted to. I think Winger was the one who aptly said, "I don't think Wilt could beat out Tarc for a starting position on this year's team."
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Longhorned wrote:He could be the man at Stanford, which is why I've never understood his fascination with Arizona and Kansas. I hope I'm wrong and he tears it up on the big stage.
Yikes. With what I've heard I'm not even sure I'd describe it as that. I might say as an upperclassman at Stanford he has a significantly higher chance of getting somewhat meaningful minutes.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Players always think (cause they're told) that they are better than they actually are, when entering college. With a few exceptions, they are usually worse.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Another fall out from the Lauri commitment? Don't people want to compete anymore?

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Another fall out from the Lauri commitment? Don't people want to compete anymore?

There just aren't enough elite players that they have to compete against one another, but enough so that premier programs get theirs. Players seem to land where they're a good fit. In the case of Lauri, there's reason to believe that nobody in the country could compete with him for minutes at the 4.

This is also why worrying about recruiting is kind of bonkers. As though a Miller-led Arizona would run out of elite prospects for available playing time. If not Leaf, and if not Lauri....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm actually happy he's canceling his visit. You're only allowed so many officials, so why waste one on a guy who isn't serious about being a Cat?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Who's in the lead for uncommitted 5-stars?
No. 3 Josh Jackson (SF, 6-7, 195, Prolific Prep (CA)/Southfield, MI) -- Arizona Wildcats
The truth is that this one is still very much in flux. Yes, Arizona and Sean Miller have gone from a quiet contender to a perceived favorite while Michigan State and Maryland have emerged as the two most likely competitors. There’s no denying that Tom Izzo’s top-ranked national class has Jackson excited about the possibility of coming back home to play for the Spartans, while anyone discounting Maryland’s chances probably said the same thing about Diamond Stone at this time last year.
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... t?id=14674" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm concluding that, if Jackson goes to MSU or Maryland or Kansas, something will have changed by the spring. I don't think there's any leaning in any direction. I think the coaching staffs at MSU, Maryland, and Kansas know they're on the outside looking in. The interest in Maryland is polite. The interest in MSU is inferred based on a set of circumstances. The interest in Kansas is longstanding and real. But the idea of Jackson coming to play for Miller, whom he identifies as his coach, is genuine. With all of the authority of a poster on the internets, I'm comfortable enough to end my wondering early on this one and calling Jackson to Arizona in the spring.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Diamond Stone, sure do shine.
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:I'm concluding that, if Jackson goes to MSU or Maryland or Kansas, something will have changed by the spring. I don't think there's any leaning in any direction. I think the coaching staffs at MSU, Maryland, and Kansas know they're on the outside looking in. The interest in Maryland is polite. The interest in MSU is inferred based on a set of circumstances. The interest in Kansas is longstanding and real. But the idea of Jackson coming to play for Miller, whom he identifies as his coach, is genuine. With all of the authority of a poster on the internets, I'm comfortable enough to end my wondering early on this one and calling Jackson to Arizona in the spring.
"Like"

Just imagine our '16 lineup. Jeezus.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller is "messin with Texas."

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Sean-Miller-v ... d-40429068" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:Miller is "messin with Texas."

Is there even room for him in our '16 backcourt? He'd get pretty limited minutes with KA, PJC, JS, EP, and AT all in the mix. This assumes no one transfers.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Is there even room for him in our '16 backcourt? He'd get pretty limited minutes with KA, PJC, JS, EP, and AT all in the mix. This assumes no one transfers.
Miller sure seems to think so if he's pushing this hard for him. I could see a world where Allen grad transfers out if he's not a likely starter. Also I'd definitely put AJ above a role player like Pitts. JS can play 3 positions and AJ can play 2, so it's not outside the realm of possibility to find 10-15 minutes a game for AJ. He's definitely a play for the future though. He'd shine as a sophomore and on.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Miller sure seems to think so if he's pushing this hard for him. I could see a world where Allen grad transfers out if he's not a likely starter. Also I'd definitely put AJ above a role player like Pitts. JS can play 3 positions and AJ can play 2, so it's not outside the realm of possibility to find 10-15 minutes a game for AJ. He's definitely a play for the future though. He'd shine as a sophomore and on.
AJ looks like a very good player. Just not sure he'll be happy with the playing time situation during his freshman year. UT may have more minutes to offer.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Trier
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

pass the fucking defibrillator my way right meow!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

No kidding, 97. That's a dominating lineup.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

AJ looks like a very good player. Just not sure he'll be happy with the playing time situation during his freshman year. UT may have more minutes to offer.
Not necessarily, they landed two fairly highly rated guards last year in Eric Davis & Kerwin Roach and also have Joseph Young's younger brother Jacob, who is also fairly highly rated coming in next year. There's also Isaiah Taylor who would be a senior AJ's freshman year if he doesn't leave early and Kendal Yancy who averaged 21mpg as a freshman as well. The road is no more clearer in Austin than it is in Tucson. He's in for plenty of competition if he's choosing between those two schools.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

97cats wrote:Trier
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

It's nice when your entire starting lineup has lottery upside!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

No kidding. Who would even come off the bench out of that 5 in the scenario they're all here next season or do you give the ball to Jackson and just let him work magic?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote: No kidding. Who would even come off the bench out of that 5 in the scenario they're all here next season or do you give the ball to Jackson and just let him go?
that is the starting line-up

ive talked off line about it with a few people but Trier at the NBA level is a one and reminds a lot of people of a young Chauncy Billups type -- including myself.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: No kidding. Who would even come off the bench out of that 5 in the scenario they're all here next season or do you give the ball to Jackson and just let him go?

ive talked off line about it with a few people but Trier at the NBA level is a one and reminds a lot of people of a young Chauncy Billups type -- including myself.
97 you just made my day, that's one hell of a line up.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

Before we pass the defibrillator, can we decide who's going to pass the basketball?

Chauncey was great (I was at CU at the same time as him -- god, that was a long time ago), but he wasn't exactly surrounded by talent, so he created a lot for himself. We won't need that type of PG...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

Before we pass the defibrillator, can we decide who's going to pass the basketball?

Chauncey was great (I was at CU at the same time as him -- god, that was a long time ago), but he wasn't exactly surrounded by talent, so he created a lot for himself. We won't need that type of PG...
There are a lot of guys in that lineup who can create their own shot off the dribble. Imagine for a second Trier off the ball taking a smaller PG down low while Lauri, Smith, or JJ plays point forward at the top of the key and spreads the defense out. Dribble drive and finish or kick out to open wings all day long.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Individually looks good, but they'd have screen, pass, board and defend. Team. Humble.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

So you don't think Allen can be a starter? And what about PJC?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

Allen is stronger and bigger. Not a true point guard, but if it was needed he could run the point. Whether he's better than PJC is yet to be seen. Does he see the floor well enough to complete passes? Also, I wonder if his defensive skills are good enough for Miller to give him the ball at game time. Should be interesting watching things shake out.

edit add note:
Kadeem Allen is a bit of an unknown this season.
http://www.scout.com/college/arizona/st ... deem-allen" target="_blank
Last edited by HiCat on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My guess is that Allen's defense is one of the reasons Miller would give him time at point guard. PJC is obviously the real distributor and perimeter shooter, but when Tollefsen is on the court, you've got ball movement from a different point, and another weapon from the perimeter.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Longhorned wrote:I'm concluding that, if Jackson goes to MSU or Maryland or Kansas, something will have changed by the spring. I don't think there's any leaning in any direction. I think the coaching staffs at MSU, Maryland, and Kansas know they're on the outside looking in. The interest in Maryland is polite. The interest in MSU is inferred based on a set of circumstances. The interest in Kansas is longstanding and real. But the idea of Jackson coming to play for Miller, whom he identifies as his coach, is genuine. With all of the authority of a poster on the internets, I'm comfortable enough to end my wondering early on this one and calling Jackson to Arizona in the spring.

Can I get an amen? :D

Pretty cool (no jinx) read. Hats off for having the b...ls to say this.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Jackson
Smith
Lauri
Ristic

SMH. Scroll up. Already been explained. If Trier becomes Billup-like and we land Jackson, those two would not start. It's conditional.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

97cats wrote:

Interesting comparison. Ill be on the watch for his on-ball skills this season. He definitely looked more than comfortable navigating off screens and attacking off the dribble in the Red-Blue game.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

BTW, Chauncey was a chucker.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Had to be.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

gumby wrote:Had to be.
exactly, as would Trier in the same role.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't think Trier would have to be a point guard in college or the NBA. There's a good amount of 6'4 2 guards in the league. I'm also not a fan of fitting a square peg into a round hole. Also if Arizona has other guys who can score there's truly no purpose for a Chauncey Billups chucker and we'd have plenty of scorers next season, especially with Josh Jackson in the fold. If we had a chucker as our point guard that year that could lead to chemistry issues up the wazoo.
gumby

Post by gumby »

The point, as I understand it, is that Billups chucked cuz teammates sucked. If Trier were to chuck, he'd be out of luck, as point guard. So if you were to gauge Billups the Buff, you would say "square peg" as a point. Turned out to be a fine one with weapons around him.

Westbrook as a point? I would've said square peg. Reggie Geary? No way! Way. These are teenagers. They're not set in stone.

D. Stoudamire chucked as a senior. Had to.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Our '16 class just got a hell of a lot better. Ray Smith will play his "freshman" year for AZ in '16, provided things go smoothly with his recovery and he remains a UofA student.

Just looking for that silver lining.

Get better soon, Ray :)
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Our '16 class just got a hell of a lot better. Ray Smith will play his "freshman" year for AZ in '16, provided things go smoothly with his recovery and he remains a UofA student.

Our medical staff will make him right and next year we will be legendary
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

97cats wrote:
gumby wrote:Had to be.
exactly, as would Trier in the same role.
True. All true.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

luteformayor2 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Our '16 class just got a hell of a lot better. Ray Smith will play his "freshman" year for AZ in '16, provided things go smoothly with his recovery and he remains a UofA student.

Our medical staff will make him right and next year we will be legendary
With healthy RS:

PCJ/Trier
Allen/Simon
Smith
JJ/LM
Ristic/Comanche
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Lauri
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Lauri
?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Holy snaps

Either 97 just had a weird compulsion to type 'lauri' or he is hinting that Lauri may reclassify to this year
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

luteformayor2 wrote:Holy snaps

Either 97 just had a weird compulsion to type 'lauri' or he is hinting that Lauri may reclassify to this year
Or he's just emphasizing that the '16 class is all about Lauri.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Or he is simply stating that Lauri will be starting, no questions asked.

PJC
Trier
Smith (JJ if we get him)
Lauri
Ristic
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gronk4heisman wrote:Or he is simply stating that Lauri will be starting, no questions asked.

PJC
Trier
Smith (JJ if we get him)
Lauri
Ristic

Exactly. That is, that Lauri was not included in BC's forecast line-up. Nothing more.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EOCT wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Or he is simply stating that Lauri will be starting, no questions asked.

PJC
Trier
Smith (JJ if we get him)
Lauri
Ristic

Exactly. That is, that Lauri was not included in BC's forecast line-up. Nothing more.
LM = Lauri Markkanen
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Chicat wrote:
EOCT wrote:

PJC
Trier
Smith (JJ if we get him)
Lauri
Ristic

LM = Lauri Markkanen
Thanks, Chi. After I posted I went to Bc's post and saw I was wrong--"LM" was there. I Then hit delete to correct my mistake and was given a message "You can't delete something you've written which has been replied to"(your post, Chi.)

Sorry for jumping on you BC.