TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol:

And TJ is a model human being. Pastner is considered by many to be a d bag.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Puerco wrote:That dude's thing for TJ is like ODogg's thing for Pastner.
Difference being McConnell is proving that guy wrong with results. Pastner on the other hand sucks.
That's one difference.

The other is that they are antithesis of one another. TJ lets his play do the talking and does not seek out the spotlight; Pastner has always been a shameless self-promoter and attention whore.

What they have in common is a tireless work ethic.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm liking what Harvey Spector has been bringing lately.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/11/8 ... or-the-nba" target="_blank

How T.J. McConnell Changed His Game for the NBA

By jbray44

@44ShadesOfBray on Nov 8, 2015, 8:53p 6

In Western PA, the "McConnell" name is synonymous with basketball success, most notably, Suzie McConnell, the current head coach of the Pitt women's basketball team. She was an Olympian, a WNBA Coach of the Year, and for us locals, a PIAA champion. But there's a new McConnell making headlines now. Her nephew, T.J., started his college career at hometown Duquesne University, transferred to Arizona, and now is taking the NBA by storm.

In high school T.J. was one of the best scorers in WPIAL history. His senior year alone, he scored over 1,000 points, a benchmark most players aim to hit in their entire high school career. At that time, he looked quick, could shoot the lights out of the ball, and beat double teams like they were nothing. Honestly he looked like Stephen Curry before we knew that was a thing.

At Chartiers Valley, T.J. was nearly unstoppable.

College came and T.J. had to change his game. No longer was he the quickest, the best shooter, or intimidating in anyway whatsoever, he was just another freshman. But when the lights turned on, he found ways to score and really worked on his defense. He averaged 2.8 steals per game and was named to the All Atlantic-10 Defensive team. He changed his game, but remained one of the best players on the floor.

Arizona came calling, and T.J. sat out a year for a better opportunity. He changed his game once again -- the scrawny scorer bulked up and became a leader for the talented Wildcat squad. He became a "pure" point guard, exactly what the team needed, and led them to consecutive Elite 8 appearances.

Through all of this, one thing is for sure. T.J. checked his ego at the door and did what it took to get on the floor and help his team win. Whatever Brett Brown wants T.J. to do, consider it done. It's an overused and cliche term, but he truly is a coach out there on the floor. He always has been. He'll never be the tallest, most athletic, or strongest, but I'd bet the house that he is the smartest.

As a big time college basketball fan, here is what I love the most. He's an undrafted, four year college player. He trusted the process at Arizona, played his role perfectly, worked as hard as anyone, and look where it got him. Now he's playing against the best basketball players in the world and more than holding his own.

Who would have ever thought that he would be averaging 5.5 ppg and 7.5 apg, and have a PER of 15.22? Can't say that many people saw it coming. It will be interesting to see what happens when Tony Wroten and Kendall Marshall return from injury, but as of right now, this is T.J.'s team to lead.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Unreal. I dont think any of us saw this happening. I wonder how early on his coach knew he was on the roster.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

For NBA Rookies -

TJ and Rondae are #1 and #2 in Steal per game
TJ is #1 in assists per game
Stanley #7 in scoring
TJ and Rondae are tied for 6th in rebounds per game
TJ's Assists per 48 minutes is 13.7 and he is 5th in the entire league

Our guys are doing pretty swell. I expect Stanley to shoot up in stats over the year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Being 6th in the NBA in REBOUNDS among rookies is a testament to TJ's will and desire if I've ever seen one.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But no one will work harder.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Merkin wrote:But no one will work harder.
I think everyone is outmatched by Westbrook whether they admit it or not. There are some players who just can't be contained and he is one of them.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Jefe wrote:Unreal. I dont think any of us saw this happening. I wonder how early on his coach knew he was on the roster.
I was pretty confident he was going to make it after his 2nd preseason game (his team's third). TJ's third preseason game he started. 10 pts 10 assists, 4 boards and 4 steals. That was probably what sealed the deal. I caught two of his first three preseason games and I think I posted here that TJ looked like the best player on the floor for the 76ers most of the time and it really was true. I chalked that up to his maturity and high basketball IQ and his teammates being light years behind in all that, along with his positive attributes that we knew would translate to the league.

Early on in the preseason and even before that Brown made comments about TJ that showed he really liked him. I wouldn't be surprised if Brown knew even before that but he and management needed to actually see that tangibly play out on the court for a few games before they fully made up their minds.

Nobody expected this success though. Even watching him in the preseason, I was thinking he was a second stringer who would give some quality minutes. Then guys get healthy and he was generally going to be a guy in a suit and only suit up in case of future injuries or a few games a month otherwise. I don't even think TJ envisioned this.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm guessing no one caught the 76ers game last night to chime in on how he looked vs Westbrook. Westbrook finished 8-22 with eight turnovers, so looks like he may have done a pretty decent job.

TJ w 10 pts on 5-8, 4 boards, 3 assists and 2 turnovers. Noel, Grant and Okafor were combined 9-40 from the floor, so that would explain the three assists. What's impressive about TJ so far, he hasn't had a single bad game yet,and it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say he hasn't even had an average, especially by rookie standards
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I watched a bit of it last night. TJ started on him and got schooled a couple times. After that he only guarded him half the time. They put him on Augustin and Morrow. Only so much you can do undersized against someone as fast as him. Westbrook was guarding him though and TJ did just about anything he wanted. No TJ highlights but here's Westbrook

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Westbrook is a top ten player in the league. It's not odd to struggle with him. When his J falls, he is not guardable.

TJ just seems to be solidifying his role more and more over time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

He is putting up impressive numbers as an undrafted, rookie starter; that cannot be denied. Well done TJ. If he keeps this up, one suspects he will be given a more lucrative contract at the end of the season.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

midnightx wrote:He is putting up impressive numbers as an undrafted, rookie starter; that cannot be denied. Well done TJ. If he keeps this up, one suspects he will be given a more lucrative contract at the end of the season.
TJ basically signed a 4-year deal this summer. Still is only guaranteed $100k unless he is on the roster January 10th. First three years are non-guaranteed and he could make $2.4 mil with a team option on year four worth a little over $1 mil.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He was quite popular on twitter last night. Sunk a three and did something called the "dab," which I'm guessing is a new dance move? I am in touch with the younger generations music and slang, but I don't know what that is and quite a few people were going nuts over it and making Vines of the play.

Finished w 13 pts (6-9, 1-3), 7 reb, 6 assists, 4 TO, 2 steals, 1 block, and apparently got into some sort of verbal dispute with Dirk. :lol:
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

TucsonClip wrote:
midnightx wrote:He is putting up impressive numbers as an undrafted, rookie starter; that cannot be denied. Well done TJ. If he keeps this up, one suspects he will be given a more lucrative contract at the end of the season.
TJ basically signed a 4-year deal this summer. Still is only guaranteed $100k unless he is on the roster January 10th. First three years are non-guaranteed and he could make $2.4 mil with a team option on year four worth a little over $1 mil.

The way he is playing right now, sounds like he sold himself short.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

gronk4heisman wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

The way he is playing right now, sounds like he sold himself short.
He wouldnt have been on the roster without that deal. Thats how Philly operates.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:He was quite popular on twitter last night. Sunk a three and did something called the "dab," which I'm guessing is a new dance move? I am in touch with the younger generations music and slang, but I don't know what that is and quite a few people were going nuts over it and making Vines of the play.

Finished w 13 pts (6-9, 1-3), 7 reb, 6 assists, 4 TO, 2 steals, 1 block, and apparently got into some sort of verbal dispute with Dirk. :lol:
There are also full highlights on YouTube but I can't embed from my phone.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Check out his quicker release. Brings tears to my eyes

Here come the mutli-year offers :shock:
Last edited by Jefe on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

This guy really hates TJ, I wonder what pissed him off?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Irish27 wrote:This guy really hates TJ, I wonder what pissed him off?
He lives in Philadelphia? Actually, he probably lives in some shitty New Jersey ex-urb of Philly, right near where some nuclear power plant dumps its waste and where Jimmy Hoffa was buried.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:This guy really hates TJ, I wonder what pissed him off?
He lives in Philadelphia? Actually, he probably lives in some shitty New Jersey ex-urb of Philly, right near where some nuclear power plant dumps its waste and where Jimmy Hoffa was buried.
Camden? As I recall, even Kobe Bryant didn't want to play in or anywhere near Philadelphia because of the incessant criticism.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lmao. Dude has five turnovers out of 29 for the team. Whoopdty effing doo. Ive spoken my piece, let the dude have his fun

Nice offensive game for TJ, thats two straight. Assist numbers have been down and the turnovers have gone up. It isnt going to be 12/2 every night when your teammates too are inexperienced and clank a lot of open shots that better players knock down. His assist to turnover ratio is still impressive when you take into account who hes playing with even with the recent dip. During the game they said Brown said this is the youngest team in NBA history
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lol TJ took two spots in SI's all anomaly team: biggest difference between assists (76) to shots taken (68); and most minutes without a single free throw attempt (327).
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

TJ is a Steve Nash that can't shoot but can play defense.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:TJ is a Steve Nash that can't shoot but can play defense.
Well, he was 7-9 last night and he's shooting over 53% for the year....

He can shoot. He just hasn't demonstrated he can drive the lane and finish at the rim yet in the NBA. His mid-range game is outstanding and his three point shooting is respectable enough that defenses are going to have to stop sagging off him outside.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

It says a lot that every single NBA GM passed on TJ McConnell despite the fact that Sean Miller was adamant prior to the draft that his point guard was very capable of playing in the league.

Some of these guys aren't as smart as they think they are. Every NBA GM passed on Gilbert Arenas in the first round as well to my astonishment. And I laughed when the Minnesota Timberwolves took Ndudi Ebi in the first round. That GM was Kevin McHale, who by the way just lost his job yesterday. :roll:
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:

He can shoot. He just hasn't demonstrated he can drive the lane and finish at the rim yet in the NBA. His mid-range game is outstanding and his three point shooting is respectable enough that defenses are going to have to stop sagging off him outside.
Sorry, I meant 3-point shooting. Nash shot 43% for his entire career. One of the things that made him so effective was that his defender needed to be way out on him the entire time he had the ball, which allowed him to get inside the defense in a more leisurely fashion. I don't think TJ has that luxury just now.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:

He's actually done a nice job in the restricted area that I have seen, though I have missed probably 3 of his last 4 games. Couldn't find an up to date shot chart, but in this one which seems to be about 4-5 games old or so, he is 9-13 in the restricted area, and I can attest that one of those was a blocked shot and the other an altered shot, both when help defenders came to contest.

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/playe ... shotchart/" target="_blank

It's good to see him knocking down these outside shots now. He will continue to get more confident and like you said, teams are going to have to come up on him a little more if he starts a game knocking them down. I'd still sag off in the first quarter until he shows he is not going to have knock them down. I'd much rather him drop 14 on me playing off a little than have him cutting into the defense with his dribble to open things up for open teammates, especially when he gets the ball on the wing to help combat feeds to Okafor in the low post.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

carolinacat wrote:It says a lot that every single NBA GM passed on TJ McConnell despite the fact that Sean Miller was adamant prior to the draft that his point guard was very capable of playing in the league.

Some of these guys aren't as smart as they think they are. Every NBA GM passed on Gilbert Arenas in the first round as well to my astonishment. And I laughed when the Minnesota Timberwolves took Ndudi Ebi in the first round. That GM was Kevin McHale, who by the way just lost his job yesterday. :roll:
I don't blame NBA GM's for not taking him. I mean personally, I thought he was worthy of a team snagging him in the mid to late 2nd round. But we got to watch him every game for two years. I don't know what extent NBA scouts and other decision makers watched film on him, but you have to think there is a difference between watching film for a few games and actually seeing what a guy does on the court and for a team over the course of two seasons (besides homerism). You have to think they are spending more time looking at the higher talent or upside guys. Maybe TucsonClip can chime in on this.

So naturally, a team is going use their 2nd round pick for the rights to a foreign player that they can put in their back pocket and hope he turns into a Manu or Marc Gasol. Or a guy who was one of the best players in the country but question marks, attitude, injuries, being undersized or people questioning his athleticism at the next level, whatever, has their stock drop out of the first round, like a Jared Sullinger or Carlos Boozer. Or the guy who absolutely beasted at a small school but hasn't shown he can do it against the best players his age because he hasn't played them enough. Maybe there were a few teams who liked him as a mid to late 2nd rounder, but some european player they thought could be a Toni Kukoc in a few years was still on the board.

TJ doesn't have a high ceiling due to several physical limitations (which I see but some are blown way out of proportion), and I think all of us would be lying if we said we knew he was going to be doing what he has done so far, no matter which team it was. I doubt even Miller thought it would be this level, at least this early. It's no knock on GMs, some are better than others, but all swing and miss to various degrees. For every diamond in the rough you pull, you have 3 guys sitting at the end of the bench for a few years and are out of the league, or get cut from the jump. There are countless sure things that everyone loves that never amount to anything. How many guys looking like Gilbert Arenas in college have been drafted in the 1st or 2nd and turned out to be nobodies? There are certain things you cannot control and cannot get a read or measurement on. There are just some guys who are just "basketball players," plain and simple, who have tireless work ethic and heart. You don't know who those guys are for the most part until you give them a chance on an NBA floor. Ebi wasn't a horrible pick at 26, your success rate is not going to be super high in that range, and he was a high upside guy with shooting range, could put the ball on the floor, was athletic for his size, and was a shotblocker. He was just very raw, which is usually the case for bigs out of high school. It took Jermaine O'Neal over four years to finally start to figure things out and he turned out to be a great player.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Check out the shot at 1:39 and look at the coaches. They turn to each other and say, "damn this kids good!" :lol:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hey Mark!

Last edited by Jefe on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

They are leaving him wide open, still no respect for the rookie.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Chicat wrote:

He's actually done a nice job in the restricted area that I have seen, though I have missed probably 3 of his last 4 games. Couldn't find an up to date shot chart, but in this one which seems to be about 4-5 games old or so, he is 9-13 in the restricted area, and I can attest that one of those was a blocked shot and the other an altered shot, both when help defenders came to contest.

http://vorped.com/1-nba/2015-2016/playe ... shotchart/" target="_blank

It's good to see him knocking down these outside shots now. He will continue to get more confident and like you said, teams are going to have to come up on him a little more if he starts a game knocking them down. I'd still sag off in the first quarter until he shows he is not going to have knock them down. I'd much rather him drop 14 on me playing off a little than have him cutting into the defense with his dribble to open things up for open teammates, especially when he gets the ball on the wing to help combat feeds to Okafor in the low post.
That's why I've been beating the drum of his shooting determining his NBA success. He can pass, that skill is a given. Being a pass first guy, the defense is going to want to take that away by sagging. If he can knock down enough shots to force them to play him straight up, he opens up his ability to create for others. He doesn't need to be Steve Nash, he needs to be good enough that a defense can't clog passing lanes by ducking under screens and hanging off when he tries to enter to the post.

It is really enjoyable to see him playing well.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep. You you can see teams making the adjustments on TJ now, which they can afford to do because his teammates are so bad/behind. Cut the head off the snake.

In the last four games, outside of the Thunder, TJ has played three top defenses, San Antonio (2), Dallas (8), and Indiana (5):
FG 3pt
5-8 0-1
4-6 0-0
6-9 1-3
7-9 2-3

That's 69% from the field and 43% from three. Last ten games 56% fg and 35% from three

TJ will never be the point guard that says, ok play off me, Im dropping 25 on you tonight, though I do feel that is possible for him and will happen at some point this year. If I am Brent Brown, TJ has already shown you what he can do when teams play straight up or just off a little. I'd be pulling him over and telling him if they are playing off you like this, I want 12 plus shots from you every game, no excuses. I mean look at those numbers, those don't happen if you are being played straight up almost no matter who you are, but if that is what you are given and you are giving us that from the floor, keep shooting. Yes you will lose a lot of that efficiency, but shoot until that 69 becomes the low 50s and the 43 is in the low 30s. That's not who he needs to be, but just to get things back to somewhat normal and open it back up for him to be TJ again. From there, like you said, then it's just a case of him just being good enough to keep them somewhat honest. It was like that here his senior year: teams sagged way off and were doing everything short of yelling "shoot it" and when he started knocking them down, they came up some. A lot of teams still stayed a little off and wanted him to be the guy who beat you with a jumpshot, but it was enough to open things up a little more and was all he needed and he was still shooting efficiently. But I'm looking at those shooting numbers above, and those aren't Rondo numbers even his FG% when the bulk of his attempts were right around the basket on drives and fast breaks.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

rgdeuce wrote:Yep. You you can see teams making the adjustments on TJ now, which they can afford to do because his teammates are so bad/behind. Cut the head off the snake.

In the last four games, outside of the Thunder, TJ has played three top defenses, San Antonio (2), Dallas (8), and Indiana (5):
FG 3pt
5-8 0-1
4-6 0-0
6-9 1-3
7-9 2-3

That's 69% from the field and 43% from three. Last ten games 56% fg and 35% from three

TJ will never be the point guard that says, ok play off me, Im dropping 25 on you tonight, though I do feel that is possible for him and will happen at some point this year. If I am Brent Brown, TJ has already shown you what he can do when teams play straight up or just off a little. I'd be pulling him over and telling him if they are playing off you like this, I want 12 plus shots from you every game, no excuses. I mean look at those numbers, those don't happen if you are being played straight up almost no matter who you are, but if that is what you are given and you are giving us that from the floor, keep shooting. Yes you will lose a lot of that efficiency, but shoot until that 69 becomes the low 50s and the 43 is in the low 30s. That's not who he needs to be, but just to get things back to somewhat normal and open it back up for him to be TJ again. From there, like you said, then it's just a case of him just being good enough to keep them somewhat honest. It was like that here his senior year: teams sagged way off and were doing everything short of yelling "shoot it" and when he started knocking them down, they came up some. A lot of teams still stayed a little off and wanted him to be the guy who beat you with a jumpshot, but it was enough to open things up a little more and was all he needed and he was still shooting efficiently. But I'm looking at those shooting numbers above, and those aren't Rondo numbers even his FG% when the bulk of his attempts were right around the basket on drives and fast breaks.
On ESPN's 76er's team page, they don't even have a picture yet of TJ for their "Assist Leader". Might want to break out a phone and take his picture!

This guy is going to play a very long time in the league. Love it!!

Go Cats!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

There are basically 4 levels of perimeter shooters.

1. Elite. These are Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Steph Curry types who you have to faceguard.
2. Very good. This is JJ Redick, who isn't going to beat you on his own, but you have to cheat to when he's coming off a screen because he's dangerous enough to drop 25 and make it really hard for you to win.
3. Adequate. These are guys who are dangerous enough that you have to guard them, come over the top on pick and rolls and not drop way off on the help side.
4. Liabilities. You can drop off these guys, go under picks and let them run free on the weak side. These guys hurt an offense by screwing your spacing up.

Really, staying in #3 is all TJ needs to be able to play his game. He does not have a quick trigger or a high release point, so to make a D honor him, he really needs 35-38% from 3.

There is a huge adjustment to size, speed in the NBA game. Hopefully, TJ's upswing is him acclimating to the type of defender he will see every day now.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote:

We've seen that one before...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Great article, thanks!

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Now there's a guy who is definitely not used to losing, let alone losing 12 straight to start a season.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Still getting love from the team.

From the team page:

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/mcconnel ... -his-worth" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Smh. 76ers let a road win against the Twolves slip away. TJ had the offense rolling and built a 6 or 7 point lead in the 4th. Brown then proceeds to take him out and leave him on the bench for 5 plus minutes midway through the 4th in favor of Canaan. Offense goes flat outside of a few prayers/lucky bounces that fell. Wolves start to get going and TJ still on the bench, finally comes in after Wolves take lead w 2:20 left. Not sure what Brown was thinking tonight.

Rough shooting night for TJ but 8 assists, 3 turnovers and 3 steals. Hard to watch all the assists left on the floor :lol: And only 25 minutes... Smh
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Sixers are tanking, RG. It's part of their whole strategy. The Embiid debacle means they need to do it for another year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I didn't fully believe that, 100 percent, until last night. You gotta let these guys win one game, right? Tanking or not, one win is not going to make the difference with this team. You gotta throw them a bone every once in a while. Psychologically, losing for 13, 20, 25 straight cannot be good for young players. There are more than just a couple guys on this team who can help you on a good team and/or can become very good players or better.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I didn't fully believe that, 100 percent, until last night. You gotta let these guys win one game, right? Tanking or not, one win is not going to make the difference with this team. You gotta throw them a bone every once in a while. Psychologically, losing for 13, 20, 25 straight cannot be good for young players. There are more than just a couple guys on this team who can help you on a good team and/or can become very good players or better.
The joke is that it isn't gonna work. They've been bad to pathetic for 3 years going on 4 and they still don't have a ton of interesting assets.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

He really dislikes TJ.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Really, TJ is the only reason they're 0-14? Not the abysmal roster that's the product of 3 years spent trying not to win? Not the overt tanking?