UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: UA Basketball 2015-2016 Discussion Thread

Post by catgrad97 »

FWIW, Cal lost its second straight tonight as well, to Richmond, so the conference probably isn't as good as anyone thought this year.

But don't worry--at this pace, Justin Simon will have all the minutes he wants for Tollefsen, or even York on one of his current off nights.
az91

Post by az91 »

Main Event wrote:Didn't need to see this game to know this was going to be a "down year" especially when the one NBA player you have goes down like 2 weeks before the year. Said it before the season, i'd be very cool with a Sweet 16.

And yes, get Mark Tollefsen outta here. Flame away, don't care.
I would be ecstatic with a Sweet 16. I just hope this team has enough wins in it to make it to the tournament.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chicat wrote:You know, once Tollefsen has a couple of years in the strength & conditioning program, he might be a great 6th man.

Oh .... uh .....
Im done with his ass. On a night when we needed him to step up 5 points, 3 boards, 100 of his patented "oh im not wide open, pass" perimeter passes, dumb mistakes on defense, weak rebounding effort with clumsy hands in the event one finds him. And then the killer mishandle of the Anderson pass and immediate foul to send them down for free throws. He's Jamelle Horne on opiates, weed and benzos without the talent. Gave us a decent game last night, but it was against an 0-5 mid major, right up his alley. Throw a decent power conference foe at him and he shrinks.

I guess its our fault for thinking he was going to be a key part of this team, or at least a solid contributor. It blows my mind that a fifth-year senior can be so clueless. All we needed tonight was for him to be half the player we thought he was going to be.

And heres the reality with this team, we just dont have NBA talent to overcome our shortcomings. Trier gave us a glimpse but hes a long ways away and is having problems staying on the court. Zeus is going to have to become super assertive on the offensive end and Anderson is just going to have to bully for baskets like he has the last two nights. I havent given up in York and im hoping this is just a funk or him trying to do too much because he is close to home and has people in the stands. A little inside out game would probably help him out too. PJC is a good little player but hes just not ready for the crunch time yet and hes getting overmatched on D and its because of his feet and not his height. Kadeem is a very solid backup point but not starter quality by our standards. I applaud Pitts efforts but his shot is dead it seems. Dusan is dangerous inside but too mechanical and plays at a snails pace on both ends, its hard to keep him on the floor.

Lack of top level talent, just a bunch of average to decent guys who bring a good quality or two to the tablr, but have crippling deficiencies elsewhere. And the lack of starting/big game (ie not Juco/in the patty cake conference) experience is showing late outside of the Boise State game, but I Really think that was a case of them tiring and the pressure of McKale getting to them. Of course the bulldog was Anderson, hes ACC tested. York showed some crunch time balls but then mistook that to believe he was Steph Curry and started chucking again. I didnt expect to win this game when it started but it was close to giftwrapped for us and we pissed it away late.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

az91 wrote:
Main Event wrote:Didn't need to see this game to know this was going to be a "down year" especially when the one NBA player you have goes down like 2 weeks before the year. Said it before the season, i'd be very cool with a Sweet 16.

And yes, get Mark Tollefsen outta here. Flame away, don't care.
I would be ecstatic with a Sweet 16. I just hope this team has enough wins in it to make it to the tournament.
I was thinking that too. With 300 teams in Div I, there are probably 50+ that could beat a Zeus-less Arizona team.

With the PAC in a down year, an automatic bid would be nice.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

catgrad97 wrote:FWIW, Cal lost its second straight tonight as well, to Richmond, so the conference probably isn't as good as anyone thought this year.

But don't worry--at this pace, Justin Simon will have all the minutes he wants for Tollefsen, or even York on one of his current off nights.
Simon should be on the court. Time to sit Tollefson.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

toll must be really really really amazing in practice.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

You and I are going to agree on a lot of takes this season, rgdeuce. Thank God for Anderson or I wouldn't have favored this team to even make the NCAAs, let alone win the conference.

Would like to give Ristic a lot more run on Sunday and see what Justin Simon can do. Make this a teaching game, not one for the win or loss column. Set an example: Give the guys who run the cuts and make the screens PT, and sit the ones who settle for early jumpers.

Hopefully, that will drill home better judgment into some really immature seniors' heads right now, because otherwise, this is a team whose guard play would have Lute bringing in Jacob Hazzard for minutes, it's so ineffectual.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

For those of you upset at York, CSM just basically said he was tremendous tonight.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Gotta support your seniors.

York was by no means the entire reason Arizona lost tonight, but he was honestly one or two missed threes away from shooting the team out of the game and does not have the game his guard mates IMHO think he does on his isos.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I didn't watch Miller's presser, but he knows York was awful. Miller probably realizes that this team is just helpless right now. With Smith lost and the minor injuries, this extended injury for Tarc is too much for this team to overcome. It's useless to blame anyone.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

We have some glaring weaknesses. We do not look good on either side of the ball. The good thing is that there is room for growth. Take the L, move on, hope we regroup and give it a better go around next time.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Probably right, LH. But injuries are a part of the game, and other guys need to come in ready to step up and help this team win.

Sorry if I'm too chatty tonight for anyone, but after Santa Clara and the half-hearted bounceback, effort-wise, tonight, I need to vent a bit.

If I were Miller, I'd just make Anderson team captain and tell Gabe and the rest of our guards they can't shoot until they give him or Zeus a touch.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Can I push everyone into suicide right now? The transfer who got away, Damion Lee, is averaging 19.3 5 boards and 2.5 assists for Louisville so far. 56% from the floor and 37 from three.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Can I push everyone into suicide right now? The transfer who got away, Damion Lee, is averaging 19.3 5 boards and 2.5 assists for Louisville so far. 56% from the floor and 37 from three.
I choose to blame the piece of shit on pointguardu for this.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Can I push everyone into suicide right now? The transfer who got away, Damion Lee, is averaging 19.3 5 boards and 2.5 assists for Louisville so far. 56% from the floor and 37 from three.
...was wondering about that Dude....damn :-(
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It's early. Lee's their focal point, and I wouldn't exchange Miller for Pitino for anything, honestly.

We will always build and grow, while the Cardinals are early-exit bait with Lee IMHO.

But yeah, I do agree that Arizona has really gone through a terrible drought of big recruiting gets in the last six months. What makes us different is not having d-bags like Ace in the middle to screw it all up, and hopefully it can stay that way.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

As much as it pains me to admit it, right now this team definitely isn't going to get us past the Elite Eight monkey. Anderson is really the only light of consistency I've seen. Providence is no slouch mind you, but we really need to start lowering our expectations of this team with our injuries and lack of an identity. Turnovers are murdering us too.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

I love how the coaches do literally nothing different on defense. Our answer for the other teams guy that is having the career night and killing us with daggers ? PITTS PITTS AND MORE PITTS! Pitts cannot. hang on D

do what we do

well what we do have is put subpar defenders on islands against red hot players and expect different results. some noname put up 44 freaking pts in a game we had no business going to OT in.

other lowlights:
-Tollefsen has to be the clumsiest player I've ever seen, always 1/2 second late and fumbling it off his hands
- we can't hit a three to save our lives what else is new? currently a hot 29% trending down to 25% with another ~20% showing - seriously Ristic is shooting 3s??
- turnover city another 20+ turnover game. have any of these guys handled a basketball or do we just practice playing tough nosed defense where no dribbling or passing is require??

this is what happens when you place all the focus on Defense (man to man exclusively), and little on the offense

do what we do! smh
az91

Post by az91 »

Zona_Soccer10 wrote:As much as it pains me to admit it, right now this team definitely isn't going to get us past the Elite Eight monkey. Anderson is really the only light of consistency I've seen. Providence is no slouch mind you, but we really need to start lowering our expectations of this team with our injuries and lack of an identity. Turnovers are murdering us too.
There is no Elite Eight in sight for this year and beyond. We were lucky to have the past three years with some truly elite talent. This year's team lacks that. It is going to take some significant victories on the recruiting trail before we have to worry about the "Elite Eight monkey" again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:I love how the coaches do literally nothing different on defense.
I love how this sock only shows up after losses.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I know the loss sucks, especially right before bed. But this team is still a tournament team, hopefully some of you have calmed down a little by now. How it all went down last night wasn't a big revelation or some grand proclamation of how good we are. I've seen it a million times playing and watching basketball. York hits the 3 from the wing to go up 7 and AZ acted like the fuckin game was wrapped up. Providence became the aggressor and outplayed us / Dunn hit some clutch shots down the final stretch to steal it. Unless you're up 20+, a basketball game can flip at any time if a team hits a few key shots. Then you're left at your quiet locker wondering how it slipped away so quickly while contemplating the defeat.

This game provided plenty of ammunition for Miller's teaching arsenal. They have to finish the damn game and not get timid or flustered. And moving forward, this team and these players better grow into specific roles, creating an identity. If not, we are definitely getting bounced first weekend of the tournament. Right now we have a team that really doesn't play well with each other or know who they are. I'm gonna give Miller some respect and believe that he can gel this bunch into something decent, a team that can make that S16 or later push.

*means nothing, but I'm positive we win that game with Tarc.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

pokinmik wrote:I know the loss sucks, especially right before bed. But this team is still a tournament team, hopefully some of you have calmed down a little by now. How it all went down last night wasn't a big revelation or some grand proclamation of how good we are. I've seen it a million times playing and watching basketball. York hits the 3 from the wing to go up 7 and AZ acted like the fuckin game was wrapped up. Providence became the aggressor and outplayed us / Dunn hit some clutch shots down the final stretch to steal it. Unless you're up 20+, a basketball game can flip at any time if a team hits a few key shots. Then you're left at your quiet locker wondering how it slipped away so quickly while contemplating the defeat.

This game provided plenty of ammunition for Miller's teaching arsenal. They have to finish the damn game and not get timid or flustered. And moving forward, this team and these players better grow into specific roles, creating an identity. If not, we are definitely getting bounced first weekend of the tournament. Right now we have a team that really doesn't play well with each other or know who they are. I'm gonna give Miller some respect and believe that he can gel this bunch into something decent, a team that can make that S16 or later push.

*means nothing, but I'm positive we win that game with Tarc.
Yes. Was just thinking this too. Zeus in the game, defense is way better.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I think that's a given, but cant play the what if game because if we do that with Zeus, Providence can do it with Dunn being on the bench damn near half the game. We caught a huge break there and failed to capitalize. There was one point where we were up a few, he sits down, and they went on an 8-0 run I believe. No excuse for that. This team doesn't have that killer instinct right now and no sense of urgency.

Rise and fire, what alternative do we have to Pitts? He at least makes guys work for their shots and isnt a complete liability. Nobody on this roster stops Dunn last night. Very few D1 guys are going to stop him. You need a Rondae or AG type of dude on him, there's a reason he's a top NBA prospect. Best you can do is have Pitts do an adequate job in making his life a little tougher and have help ready. Also remember Pitts was gassed: he got his ass worked out the night before, and then worked that whole game while Dunn had fresh legs from being in foul trouble. Our help D has been nonexistent all season plus we were missing a 7 foot presence down low. The reality is, we are extremely weak at the 3 and Smith isnt walking through that door this year. It is what it is and teams with quality wings are going to kill us all year. Only thing we can do is get better with team defense to help pick up the slack, and get Trier better at that end of the floor or have Pitts find his shot so we can offset things a little at the other end.

And I was thinking this again last night, but our defensive difficulties completely limit an asset in PJC. We struggle to get stops consistently. Consistent stops, rebound, outlet to PJC, and run. PJC is tough with a full head of steam and teammates running up the floor with him. Even if he pulls things back, the defense isnt set and he can cut into the lanes with his dribble and find an open man inder the basket or a cutter. Parker is part of the problem defensively, dont think I am giving him a pass.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pitts hasn't scored more than 3 points in a game all season.

Last time Pitts scored in double digits was 1/15/15.

Understand as we all do that CSM loves defense, and Pitts is the best defender out there now, but you still need to be able to score to win.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Pitts heavy minutes were also largely influenced by Zeus being out too. This wont be the norm.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

rgdeuce wrote:Pitts heavy minutes were also largely influenced by Zeus being out too. This wont be the norm.
Don't know about that. Pitts seems to be the guy on the perimeter that Miller trusts the most on d, unless he is gonna move Anderson out for that.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Pitts has average 28.5 minutes a game the last two nights. 14 a game for the two before that w Zeus out there. Come on now.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

rgdeuce wrote:Pitts has average 28.5 minutes a game the last two nights. 14 a game for the two before that w Zeus out there. Come on now.
Again Zues was out at the end of the game and one was an OT game so everyone is gonna have more minutes. Who then is gonna guard the best perimeter guy going forward at the end of games?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I choose to blame the piece of shit on pointguardu for this.
what was the backstory again on this?

and what is the status on ACE's proximity to the program currently? Did GB sick the cease and desist dogs on him yet?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Pitts has average 28.5 minutes a game the last two nights. 14 a game for the two before that w Zeus out there. Come on now.
Again Zues was out at the end of the game and one was an OT game so everyone is gonna have more minutes. Who then is gonna guard the best perimeter guy going forward at the end of games?
You really think Pitts gets the bulk or all of those 11-12 minutes if Zeus is in the game? And remember Tollefsen had to slide to the 4 and then eventually fouled out. What option u got now. The next game wasnt OT and he had 28. Doubt he has had more than 18 in a game all year long before the tournament
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What's with Simon who was supposed to be the RHJ defensive clone? RHJ could not shot as a freshman (and not much better as a sophomore) yet he was annoited early as our go to stopper.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

az91 wrote:
Zona_Soccer10 wrote:As much as it pains me to admit it, right now this team definitely isn't going to get us past the Elite Eight monkey. Anderson is really the only light of consistency I've seen. Providence is no slouch mind you, but we really need to start lowering our expectations of this team with our injuries and lack of an identity. Turnovers are murdering us too.
There is no Elite Eight in sight for this year and beyond. We were lucky to have the past three years with some truly elite talent. This year's team lacks that. It is going to take some significant victories on the recruiting trail before we have to worry about the "Elite Eight monkey" again.
Yeah, given that 4 of this start 5 are gone next year, I'm curious as to why people seem to be assuming that next year is the year we make a run (and the only one returning isn't any good). I think halftime at Staples last year may well have been the high water mark for Miller. Hope he proves me wrong but there's nothing right now trending in the right direction.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

legallykenny wrote:
az91 wrote:
Yeah, given that 4 of this start 5 are gone next year, I'm curious as to why people seem to be assuming that next year is the year we make a run (and the only one returning isn't any good). I think halftime at Staples last year may well have been the high water mark for Miller. Hope he proves me wrong but there's nothing right now trending in the right direction.
How much do you believe in scouting evaluations? Upside is measured in terms of NBA.

PJC is a 4-star because his size limits his upside at the highest level, but he's projected to be very, very good as a junior (and senior - he isn't projected to leave for the draft, and is very unlikely to be drafted).

Simon is a 5-star strictly because of upside. And he plays the 1, 2, and 3.

Trier is a 5-star who is unlikely to leave for the draft. Do you see his potential? Do you believe in the sophomore jump?

Smith just tore the last ACL he has left to tear. What chances do you give his recovery? This is a long, 6'8", highly athletic 5-star slotted for the wing.

Markkanen is a 5-star equivalent (international players aren't rated), true 7-footer. I won't even get into the noise about him being possibly the #1 recruit in all of college basketball next season.

What do you know/think about Arizona's chances with Josh Jackson?

I just want to get a sense of what you see as trending in the wrong direction.
az91

Post by az91 »

This guy sounds like he has been reading the thread: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 36080.html.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Pretty much sums it up. Find a defensive stopper (Pitts is not the answer) and develop Trier. We will be fine.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He was spot on until he said this:

The Wildcats are already a dominant rebounding team, a strength they'll only improve upon when starting center Kaleb Tarczewski returns from the left ankle injury that has bothered him all season.

Minor quibble, it is a new injury on his other ankle.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Longhorned wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
az91 wrote:
How much do you believe in scouting evaluations? Upside is measured in terms of NBA.

PJC is a 4-star because his size limits his upside at the highest level, but he's projected to be very, very good as a junior (and senior - he isn't projected to leave for the draft, and is very unlikely to be drafted).

Simon is a 5-star strictly because of upside. And he plays the 1, 2, and 3.

Trier is a 5-star who is unlikely to leave for the draft. Do you see his potential? Do you believe in the sophomore jump?

Smith just tore the last ACL he has left to tear. What chances do you give his recovery? This is a long, 6'8", highly athletic 5-star slotted for the wing.

Markkanen is a 5-star equivalent (international players aren't rated), true 7-footer. I won't even get into the noise about him being possibly the #1 recruit in all of college basketball next season.

What do you know/think about Arizona's chances with Josh Jackson?

I just want to get a sense of what you see as trending in the wrong direction.
I was high on PJC last year for a period last year but I'm now back to my original belief that he is a career backup (which he will be very good at). Extra years won't make a difference for him because he'll always be too physically limited. No one is going to win the conference, much less go to a FF, with PJC as starting PG.

Simon can't see the floor this year so I'm not expecting him to become an all-conference PG next year, which is what this team desperately needs.

No one has actually seen Smith play so impossible to guess what we'll get next year from a guy who won't have played a competitive game for 2 full years. He was hardly described as a finished product even before losing all of that development time.

Trier is the one guy I really like for next year - and we're only going as far this year as he and Anderson can take us.

We already have one athletically limited European recruit who came into the US scene late. So I'll believe Markkannen is a star once I've actually seen him play a US college game.

Jackson is an if. I don't pretend to know whether or not he is coming and I think fans arguing about their respective schools' prospects of landing a recruit is incredibly annoying since no one knows what a kid is really thinking.

If everything comes together perfectly, next year could be a good team with Trier-Jackson-Smith-Markkanen-Ristic if they all turn out exactly how we hope. But there's a lot of ifs, projections and unknowns there that could very quickly result in a very mediocre team. There's a just as foreseeable scenario where Jackson doesn't come and Smith and Markkanen need a year or more to get acclimated (or re-acclimated) to the game and we have a lost season while Trier tries to gun himself into the lottery and out of the program.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

legallykenny wrote: I was high on PJC last year for a period last year but I'm now back to my original belief that he is a career backup (which he will be very good at). Extra years won't make a difference for him because he'll always be too physically limited. No one is going to win the conference, much less go to a FF, with PJC as starting PG.

Simon can't see the floor this year so I'm not expecting him to become an all-conference PG next year, which is what this team desperately needs.

No one has actually seen Smith play so impossible to guess what we'll get next year from a guy who won't have played a competitive game for 2 full years. He was hardly described as a finished product even before losing all of that development time.

Trier is the one guy I really like for next year - and we're only going as far this year as he and Anderson can take us.

We already have one athletically limited European recruit who came into the US scene late. So I'll believe Markkannen is a star once I've actually seen him play a US college game.

Jackson is an if. I don't pretend to know whether or not he is coming and I think fans arguing about their respective schools' prospects of landing a recruit is incredibly annoying since no one knows what a kid is really thinking.

If everything comes together perfectly, next year could be a good team with Trier-Jackson-Smith-Markkanen-Ristic if they all turn out exactly how we hope. But there's a lot of ifs, projections and unknowns there that could very quickly result in a very mediocre team. There's a just as foreseeable scenario where Jackson doesn't come and Smith and Markkanen need a year or more to get acclimated (or re-acclimated) to the game and we have a lost season while Trier tries to gun himself into the lottery and out of the program.
I for one just adore legallykenny's optimism
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

This team will have its up and downs. Athletic wings are going to give us fits all year. But this team has a lot of room to improve and I am excited to see how the Cats look in February/March.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

az91 wrote:This guy sounds like he has been reading the thread: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 36080.html.

I think this guy was spot on. Nicely done IMO.We have to stop turning it over that's for sure.

The comments section, now those thoughts left a lot to be desired at times
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

For a few moments, I saw some swagger. Get it back.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Is it safe?

What we know for sure:

Providence is currently better than Arizona. Arizona is better than Boise State.

Injuries suck.

Captain Ryan Anderson is a stud, but -- look at me when I'm talking -- he needs to model better behavior as the leader of the team.

About 60 turnovers in three days shows the team has a long way to go. Just getting to know each other. Turnovers negate the great rebounding numbers.

Are we playing pack-line still? Looks like something else. Been a long time since I've seen this many run-outs and easy trips down the lane.

Nice bounce-back against Boise State. Was looking like a mail-in job for awhile there. Kadeem Allen was terrific.

Calling Gabe York! Come in, Gabe! The season has begun. Dump the back-and-forth-going-nowhere-Chris Rodgers-dribbling maneuver. Shoot it or move it.

Nice response from Trier. Just needs to apply himself on both ends ... on every possession,
Last edited by gumby on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote: Like I posted in the game thread, whoever hyped up the Tollefsen transfer should face a civil lawsuit for fraud. He is, so far, everything I hoped he wouldn't be--a stiff stick with poor judgment at both forward positions who thinks he has a shot (i.e. the three) he really doesn't.
I have shallow pockets. And still have hope.
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The Cats win without Zeus and the way Providence was able to hang with Michigan State gives me more hope than I had on Saturday.

But no matter the severity of the injury, Tollefsen should back up Anderson for the rest of the season and never make another start again. He's a fifth-year senior who plays more lost than PJC on the floor, most of the time. Why?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I got no problems with Anderson's technical, just glad he got it out of the way now and not in the conference season or NCAAs and (hopefully) learned his lesson. I like seeing that fight, especially for a team that has come across as soft at times this year. Boise State has some dudes running their mouths in both of our match ups and who knows who was chirping and what they were chirping on their bench. Plus you know they were both tired of seeing each other in such a small window. The thing with the turnovers the last three games, a lot of them were unforced. I don't know whether to feel good about that or bad.

Catgrad, agree on his minutes and will leave it at that, because it seems we all are beating a dead horse here and I am starting to feel a little bad about it, though it is of no fault to any of us. Cant remember the last time we have collectively went off on a dude this much and this often without having a few people at least offering some defense.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Look, I feel bad for the dude, and there's still plenty of time for him to get it--though his playing style just doesn't seem capable of making that leap from the West Coast Conference, for whatever reason.

It's just that, between Mark and York, they're responsible for 80 to 90 percent of those unforced turnovers committed at what should've been a home tournament for this team--but instead almost cost us a win against an 0-5 Santa Clara team.

It's not just the bad passes or fumble fingers: Tolly's early shot selection has been so awful that I'd count most of his misses as unforced turnovers as well. Taken out of the flow of the offense, and out of his range.

He HAS to play smarter, and for goodness' sake quit fouling so much. Ray Smith isn't back there yet, and neither is Zeus. We don't have the defense yet to prevent all those 4- to 5-point swings that have blown too many of our seemingly secure leads already.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tollefsen had 10 points, 5 boards, 3 blocks, 1 assist with 1 TO in 21 minutes against BSU.

Much better game than Ristic, who has still to make the freshman to sophomore jump. 0 points, 5 boards, 3 TOs in 9 minutes.

Good call on York being the modern Chris Rogers though. 36% 3 point shooting, needs to nudge that up a bit.

I would question the minutes for Pitts though. He has scored 14 points all season, good defender or not. You still need to score more than the other team if you want to win.

Trier was much better defending the second BSU game. These freshmen need minutes, more Simon, and more Comanche!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Main Event wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Main Event wrote:I've already accepted we're not going to be nearly as good defensively especially if we're really throwing out PJC-Gabe-Tollefsen on the perimeter to start. Offensively we'll probably shoot it better but we're not getting to the line nearly as much as we did last year and we're asking a lot from PJC to create for guys who haven't shown they can create offense for themselves consistently.
You may have a point about getting to the line, but I doubt the dropoff will be as much. I don't think we are suddenly going to become a perimeter team, and I would expect Zeus to get the ball inside more often (insert smartass comment about his hands). I don't have data in front of me about how the FT's compare year to year to year, but I am guessing they are pretty consistent year in and year out based on the sets that the coaching staff uses.

Defensively, I said I was concerned more than offense, but I am really not that concerned. I mean, we will likely still be a top 20 defensive team by the end of the year.
Defensive Efficiency
14-15: 3rd
13-14: 1st
12-13: 47th
11-12: 41st
10-11: 88th

If we're a top 20 team defensively next year go ahead and build him a statue
Are you and Choo Choo at least drawing up plans?

Adj at #11....

http://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankAdjDE" target="_blank
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:Tollefsen had 10 points, 5 boards, 3 blocks, 1 assist with 1 TO in 21 minutes against BSU.

Much better game than Ristic, who has still to make the freshman to sophomore jump. 0 points, 5 boards, 3 TOs in 9 minutes.

Good call on York being the modern Chris Rogers though. 36% 3 point shooting, needs to nudge that up a bit.

I would question the minutes for Pitts though. He has scored 14 points all season, good defender or not. You still need to score more than the other team if you want to win.

Trier was much better defending the second BSU game. These freshmen need minutes, more Simon, and more Comanche!
Sean mentioned in the post game interview that he needs to be more patient with the freshman and especially Trier. I said it in the game thread, Trier needs to play 20-25 minutes a night for this team to reach it's potential. He is too important on the offensive side of the ball to let him sit. No one else on the team can create like Trier.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Always cracks me up when people are talking about how a team will do in the NCAA tournament in November. IT IS NOVEMBER. Every single team has a lot of improving to do to get where they need to be by March. We had a rough go of it over the weekend dealing with injuries and playing sloppy but we came away with some valuable experience and got to play against the best guard in the country.

Hopefully Zeus will be back and Anderson will be ok for the trip to Gonzaga. I think our guards are better than Gonzagas but I don't think we can play small ball against them.