Gabriel MF York!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Lute4God

Re: Gabriel MF York!

Post by Lute4God »

EOCT wrote:GMFY, GMFY, GMFY, GMFY, GMFY, GMFY!!!!!!

Catch in flow, elevate, and release in the flow of the jump.

Great move by Coach to free him to shoot in the second half.
Haha just googled the acronym! Agreed! What a ballsy move by coach when the whole Board wanted a clearout drive and 2fts for Trier!
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

uncork teh York!! invisible 1H, big 2H ice in his veins . Rise and FIRE Gabe York!

nice to have a time out available at the end to set that play up, good restraint from miller judicious useage of the TOs
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

An all-time second half there. Hopefully this gets him going. Was watching him in shootarounds pre-game, you could tell he was a little off. Right before the second half too, was missing badly and his one make rattled the iron a lot before falling. That midrange jumper and the long floater off glass got his confidence back it seems. Cals a great defensive team and they did a good job on him in the first half in his traditional style of game. Miller got Anderson and Zeus involved in freeing up Gabe in the second and Cal just sat back and let him torch them. Always helps when u knock a couple down and get that extra pep in your step
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Big shot Gabe! Thanks for a great highlight moment. ;)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Apparently he lost the love of the game for a bit. Also note Miller commenting that people calling for Gabe not to have the ball end of the game. I guess CSM does follow some social media.

http://tucson.com/online/video/watch-mi ... 54c16.html" target="_blank
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

84Cat wrote:
Was just going to post this. Love the thought.

Haven't had a guy who can come off a down screen and bang threes like that since Budinger. That was so awesome. I had certainly given up.

Before that, Salim.

They don't come around that often. Enjoy.
Right where I want to be.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"We had just ran that [play] twice previously," York mentioned. "And I had just made those two 3s, so coach decided to draw up a play in the timeout and instead of going all the way off the three screens, I was going to off two and cutback and go off another two."

"His shots, how difficult they were, how clutch they were, I mean you’re going to watch a lot of basketball games, but you’re not going to see an ending like that very often," Miller said. "It was amazing.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... gainst-cal" target="_blank
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's still early in the game vs Stanford..... But this is the Gabe we need in March

He is on fire!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Glad he is having fun again.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

WTG York!

Maybe this reopens the Compton pipeline?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

CalStateTempe wrote:WTG York!

Maybe this reopens the Compton pipeline?
Maybe but I like the national pipeline! JJ, Alkins, Simmons, ZUES, Rondae, Terrance Ferguson
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Hazard!!! Let's get York a three for the record
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

York going TJ on us!!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Great way to exit for Gabe.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Carry that momentum into tourney play
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote:Apparently he lost the love of the game for a bit. Also note Miller commenting that people calling for Gabe not to have the ball end of the game. I guess CSM does follow some social media.

We all know who those people are from this board. :)
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What a way to cap your career. Amazing!!! And so well deserved. Bear Down Gabe!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

What a day. Stanford didnt want him getting his share of the conference record and breaking Salim's here. :lol: Like Main and Alieb said, carry this to the tourneys. We are a completely different team when Gabe's clicking. Now we just gotta get Trier in rhythm from outside
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Got a bit choked up today when he came out and kissed the A in the middle of the court. What a player, what a young man. He's had his ups and downs but he went from being a role-player to quite possibly a Wildcat we will always remember. Thanks Gabe! Bear down for the tourney.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I've been to a lot of senior day games, but I don't think I've ever been to one where someone just went crazy like this. Watching Gabe kiss the court after all that is right up there with TJ's last year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Gabe is one of my all-time favorite Wildcats. He persevered when too many were thinking he would transfer. He stuck with it, like a true Wildcat, and has come through big time. I sure hope he gets POW for these two games.

I mentioned it here before, in the Summer before his Junior year, I met his Mom. When I found out who she was, I told here that I really liked Gabe and his game. She thanked me and left. A while later, I talked to her again and told her that most of all, I really like his attitude. She said that comment meant a lot to her, and gave her the chills. I hope she passed the comments on to Gabe, to reinforce that there were a lot of us who admired his decision to stick it out and to bloom into a real star in his Senior year.

I wish all the best for Gabe.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gabe has always had his flaws, but in terms of persevering and making his time here a success, he rivals anyone. After 6 mpg his freshman year, a lot of guys would have transferred. He's watched higher rated guys like Rondae and Stanley take minutes, but he's continued to work and develop. He deserved a big senior day.

Now, he just needs to hit 9 threes a game in the tourney and I'm 100%.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Havent been following the conference this week, but its gonna have to take a lot to win player of the week over York
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Congrats Gabe.....one hell of a way to go out on Senior Day.....as I've always said, I respect the hell out of him for his loyalty and attitude....a true Wildcat. Bear Down Young York!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Apparently he lost the love of the game for a bit. Also note Miller commenting that people calling for Gabe not to have the ball end of the game. I guess CSM does follow some social media.

I have been a big fan of the kid for his entire career here, although he has driven me mad on a few occasions; last week was at the top of the list.

But he did something right; you can tell from his comments that Miller really thinks highly of him. And unless my memory is failing, Gabe has rarely been on the receiving end of Miller's ire. He sat on the pine until he picked up his D - but Miller has been a lot more satisfied with him during his time here than much of our fanbase.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Exciting game. Gabe you da man! :D
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
pokinmik wrote:York, PJC, Allen in heavy minutes combined for 6/24 FGs, 1/9 3PT, 6 TOs.

Not nearly enough offense from the guards. What college ball is all about. We'll get depressingly bounced in the second round if they play this way mid-March.
I just came here to post this. I cannot believe we had as few turnovers as we did.... I would have sworn we had at least that many in the first half.

York, Allen, and PJC have been garbage of late. I can handle the loss, but I cannot handle the way we played on this road trip. The defensive play in the second half was much improved, and we had a chance late to pull it off - but this team is not playing anything close its best basketball at a time when it needs to be.

Ristic has turned into as much of a non-factor as Tollefsen; I have remained optimistic on the team up until this point - but my confidence is waning quickly.

As for York, his lackadaisical care of the ball, combined with his propensity to take shots he has proven he cannot consistently make, has really driven me crazy of late. At this point I will consider our peak goals for the year to win the P12 tourney and make the Sweet 16. I am not sure that we could have expected a whole lot more given the roster we have in place.

Anderson, Zeus, and Trier are a solid core, but not enough to make up for our limitations elsewhere. And while Trier is clearly the class of our guards, his shot selection & decision making are clearly lacking at times; he gets a pass because a) he is a frosh and b) we do not have a better perimeter option.

The bright side is this is as bad as we will likely be for a while. Not too bad for a severe down year.
Just saw this, how could you ever write that it is a Severe Down Year for a team in February when they have basically qualified for the NCAA tourney at that point? Now if we crap out in the tourney, sure this is a severe down year but we still control our destiny and based on how we played this weekend especially Gabe, I still think we have a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. If we put it together and make a Final Four, you will look very stupid Harvey making that comment
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I just hope this Gabe shows up next week and the following week. I love Gabe, but the memory of his stat lines vs. Utah and Colorado is still fresh.
gumby

Post by gumby »

AZCatGirl wrote:

I've been to a lot of senior day games, but I don't think I've ever been to one where someone just went crazy like this. Watching Gabe kiss the court after all that is right up there with TJ's last year.
Yes. What a way to say goodbye. York bringing the Curry spice on Senior Day.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
pokinmik wrote:York, PJC, Allen in heavy minutes combined for 6/24 FGs, 1/9 3PT, 6 TOs.

Not nearly enough offense from the guards. What college ball is all about. We'll get depressingly bounced in the second round if they play this way mid-March.
I just came here to post this. I cannot believe we had as few turnovers as we did.... I would have sworn we had at least that many in the first half.

York, Allen, and PJC have been garbage of late. I can handle the loss, but I cannot handle the way we played on this road trip. The defensive play in the second half was much improved, and we had a chance late to pull it off - but this team is not playing anything close its best basketball at a time when it needs to be.

Ristic has turned into as much of a non-factor as Tollefsen; I have remained optimistic on the team up until this point - but my confidence is waning quickly.

As for York, his lackadaisical care of the ball, combined with his propensity to take shots he has proven he cannot consistently make, has really driven me crazy of late. At this point I will consider our peak goals for the year to win the P12 tourney and make the Sweet 16. I am not sure that we could have expected a whole lot more given the roster we have in place.

Anderson, Zeus, and Trier are a solid core, but not enough to make up for our limitations elsewhere. And while Trier is clearly the class of our guards, his shot selection & decision making are clearly lacking at times; he gets a pass because a) he is a frosh and b) we do not have a better perimeter option.

The bright side is this is as bad as we will likely be for a while. Not too bad for a severe down year.
Just saw this, how could you ever write that it is a Severe Down Year for a team in February when they have basically qualified for the NCAA tourney at that point? Now if we crap out in the tourney, sure this is a severe down year but we still control our destiny and based on how we played this weekend especially Gabe, I still think we have a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. If we put it together and make a Final Four, you will look very stupid Harvey making that comment
Not all of us have your myopic view when judging the degree of a season's success. We are the 4-seed in the P12 tourney based on conference play; that is a down year by our program's standards.

As for looking foolish based on my statement, I'll find a way to deal with it. And if I need any help, I will turn to your for advice; you should be an expert at dealing with that by now.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

So witty Harvey but quick question was 1997 a Severe Down Year too? Actually would have been worse as we would have been the 5th seed in the PAC 10 tourney that year. So would you call it a terrible awful year then? We let USC finish ahead of us in the PAC 10. We lost to Stanford and Cal right before the tournament. God, what a terrible year that was, why did Lute even let them play in the tourney.

I get some might disagree with my views but I have never been stupid enough to say a season is a down year before the NCAA tournament. In the end, it might be a severe down year but no reason not to be optimistic in February when you have made the tourney as if you study history, you would know a worse regular season team then this one still ended up with what many would call a pretty good year. In my myopic view I would say 1997 was a very successful year and you would say it was a down regular season and great tournament so just average year?

I would venture to say 99% of college basketball fans have my myopic view by the way

Getting back to York, I am just glad Harvey is not our coach as he might have kicked York off the team based on his performance last week on the road....taking shots he consistently can not make...

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:So witty Harvey but quick question was 1997 a Severe Down Year too? Actually would have been worse as we would have been the 5th seed in the PAC 10 tourney that year. So would you call it a terrible awful year then? We let USC finish ahead of us in the PAC 10. We lost to Stanford and Cal right before the tournament. God, what a terrible year that was, why did Lute even let them play in the tourney.

I get some might disagree with my views but I have never been stupid enough to say a season is a down year before the NCAA tournament. In the end, it might be a severe down year but no reason not to be optimistic in February when you have made the tourney as if you study history, you would know a worse regular season team then this one still ended up with what many would call a pretty good year. In my myopic view I would say 1997 was a very successful year and you would say it was a down regular season and great tournament so just average year?

I would venture to say 99% of college basketball fans have my myopic view by the way

Getting back to York, I am just glad Harvey is not our coach as he might have kicked York off the team based on his performance last week on the road....taking shots he consistently can not make...

You don't care about any season that doesn't have a final four...so this post is hilariously idiotic.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

How is it Idiotic? I think any season at Arizona that does not end in a Final Four is basically an irrelevant season just like fans of top programs like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Michigan State do. Those fans do not get excited about losing in Elite 8 games. You think Kansas fans look back at their 1997 team with pride...hell no I have a buddy who is a Kansas fan and he will still say the 1997 was the best team at Kansas not to make a final four and is pissed we beat them.

Let me remind you Hater of three things

1. Arizona still has a chance at a Final Four right now. 1997 should have taught all our fan base to never be pessimistic entering a tournament because if we get hot, we can make a big run. UCONN's 2014 team should have been another reminder. To be negative in February when you have made the tournament is so stupid as the season can still be very relevant. If this team makes a Final Four, no one will remember how we did in the regular season or care, it will be the team to get us over the hump, ended Miller's bad luck in the Elite 8 etc. By Harvey's logic, 1997 was only an OK year given we had a severe down regular season.

2. Gabe York has the potential to get very hot and be that player that helps us get to the Final Four. I am not going to dog him like Harvey until I see his performance in the Tourney as someone here said Heroes are made in March.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newport, this is why we care about the season:

You can hope for magic and pixie dust all you want, but your chances of winning as a low seed are extraordinarily poor. Sure, Buster Douglas beats Mike Tyson or the Lakers beat the Warriors every once in awhile, but you aren't going to bet on it.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Newportcat wrote:How is it Idiotic? I think any season at Arizona that does not end in a Final Four is basically an irrelevant season just like fans of top programs like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Michigan State do. Those fans do not get excited about losing in Elite 8 games. You think Kansas fans look back at their 1997 team with pride...hell no I have a buddy who is a Kansas fan and he will still say the 1997 was the best team at Kansas not to make a final four and is pissed we beat them.
Re: 96-97 Kansas team. Yes, they do look at that team with pride. That team was loaded and considered one of the greatest teams of all time, by their fans and everyone else. Pierce, Lafrentz, Vaughn, Pollard, and plenty more. That team beats a ton of past national champions in a best of three. They just caught a team of destiny on the wrong night. But I can promise you most Kansas teams have a great fondness of that team. They only lost one other game all year. So you look at them more as one of the greatest teams to not win a title or make a final four, not these chokers that fell short, as long as you have a moderately realistic view of how crazy the tournament and sports in general can be.

And no, you dont get excited about LOSING in the elite 8. But reaching the elite 8 is still an accomplishment that is celebrated by everyone at the time, doesn't matter which school. The Derrick Williams elite 8 team, that was easier to swallow because nobody expected us to get there and we knocked off Duke in the process. It still hurt, but you look back at it with fondness. Same with the last two teams, both can go down as all time great Arizona teams, even without the big prize at the end. Yes, it was disappointing to fall short both times, especially with how good we were, but, you threw out that Kansas team right? All three of those Arizona elite 8 teams went further. One game does not define a whole season. One game does not make a season a failure, but it can enhance a failing/mediocre/good season into something more.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Well deserved Gabe. Storybook ending for the end of his final regular season.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Come on, guys. Don't call it a down year. Call it irrelevant. Sheesh.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Come on, guys. Don't call it a down year. Call it irrelevant. Sheesh.
It's not irrelevant...yet. If we lose short of the FF, it's just like the last decade or so, which may or may not have actually occurred.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Down year, irrelevant?

CSM for PAC COY!

Losing 4 players to the NBA, leaving only 1 marginal NBAer in Zeus, and an incoming freshman marginal NBAer in Trier, with no good PGs, a very streaky 2 guard who likes to play hero ball, and still getting ranked 18th?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Well deserved Gabe. Storybook ending for the end of his final regular season.
100% agree.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Puerco wrote:Newport, this is why we care about the season:

You can hope for magic and pixie dust all you want, but your chances of winning as a low seed are extraordinarily poor. Sure, Buster Douglas beats Mike Tyson or the Lakers beat the Warriors every once in awhile, but you aren't going to bet on it.
Like I said, chances are still good this season is irrelevant but at this point I still think we have actually a reasonable chance to make a Final Four which would be a major accomplishment. That's why I think its so stupid to say its a down year in February
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Newportcat wrote:How is it Idiotic? I think any season at Arizona that does not end in a Final Four is basically an irrelevant season just like fans of top programs like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Michigan State do. Those fans do not get excited about losing in Elite 8 games. You think Kansas fans look back at their 1997 team with pride...hell no I have a buddy who is a Kansas fan and he will still say the 1997 was the best team at Kansas not to make a final four and is pissed we beat them.
Re: 96-97 Kansas team. Yes, they do look at that team with pride. That team was loaded and considered one of the greatest teams of all time, by their fans and everyone else. Pierce, Lafrentz, Vaughn, Pollard, and plenty more. That team beats a ton of past national champions in a best of three. They just caught a team of destiny on the wrong night. But I can promise you most Kansas teams have a great fondness of that team. They only lost one other game all year. So you look at them more as one of the greatest teams to not win a title or make a final four, not these chokers that fell short, as long as you have a moderately realistic view of how crazy the tournament and sports in general can be.

And no, you dont get excited about LOSING in the elite 8. But reaching the elite 8 is still an accomplishment that is celebrated by everyone at the time, doesn't matter which school. The Derrick Williams elite 8 team, that was easier to swallow because nobody expected us to get there and we knocked off Duke in the process. It still hurt, but you look back at it with fondness. Same with the last two teams, both can go down as all time great Arizona teams, even without the big prize at the end. Yes, it was disappointing to fall short both times, especially with how good we were, but, you threw out that Kansas team right? All three of those Arizona elite 8 teams went further. One game does not define a whole season. One game does not make a season a failure, but it can enhance a failing/mediocre/good season into something more.
You clearly do not know any Kansas basketball fans

You also clearly do not know many Arizona basketball fans outside of people on this board. I do not know a single Arizona basketball fan who looks back at either one of the last two years with fondness.

Its college basketball, one game can define a whole season. Beauty and Pain of NCAA Tourney
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:Come on, guys. Don't call it a down year. Call it irrelevant. Sheesh.
It's not irrelevant...yet. If we lose short of the FF, it's just like the last decade or so, which may or may not have actually occurred.
The last decade occurred but nothing happened
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I don't even know why I watched games during that time period. I feel like a fool.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I don't even know why I watched games during that time period. I feel like a fool.
Hopefully you got some entertainment value...funny, I think that was my line when one of my frat buddies had sex with a fat Chi O one night in college
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Look at all the time the team saved you.
prh

Post by prh »

Quick question: how many of you remember where you were when D-Will had "the block?" Ok great. Yes, a year without a FF can still be relevant.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:Quick question: how many of you remember where you were when D-Will had "the block?" Ok great. Yes, a year without a FF can still be relevant.
I remember removing my shirt and running around the house when he hit the 3 point play against Texas.