Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by Chicat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:They desperately need to hire a trainer to work the guys from the knees on down...different shoes, some fucking thing...I've never seen more twisted ankles, more ACL tears, more knee sprains on one team in my life...
Hearing Lute talk about the issues with the old tartan floor, could we have an issue with our floor?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

PennZona20 wrote:Now would be an optimal time to hear some good news on Trier.

(I know, I know)

i guess we'll hear more in the days to come, but optimistically we could see PJC back in time for the sc / ucla trip

some xmas trier would be nice right about now, yes
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Going into this season Arizona had Parker, Allen, Trier, Rawle, Kobi, Ferguson, Ray, and Denny for the 1-3 spots. 7 games into the season we have a total of 3 of those guys available to play.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

we will finish the season with the wheelchair basketball team on the court.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's still November...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

CatFanOneMil wrote:They desperately need to hire a trainer to work the guys from the knees on down...different shoes, some fucking thing...I've never seen more twisted ankles, more ACL tears, more knee sprains on one team in my life...
Perhaps they should practice yoga like the football team does... :roll:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:A broken ankle would've been a better diagnosis than a high ankle sprain.
I had a high ankle sprain maybe 20 years ago playing basketball. My doctor told me the same thing, better to have broken it. Hurt for like 15 years or so still. Now the rest of my body has caught up to my ankle.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

On the video board replay, look like the ball screener on Texas Southern extended his left leg out to keep PJC from fighting through that screen. Can anyone confirm?

Kid behind me in the stands last night was ranting and raving about how Kobi should have been handed the PG keys from the start. While Kobe and Kadeem did some nice things in that spot last night, it is clear to see that the offensive runs more fluidly through PJC and Kadeem and Kobi are better players off ball. Regardless, losing PJC in the sense of us having only 7 scholarship players on the floor hurts more than losing him as a PG. As it is both, it is a devastating loss. Another thing to keep in mind, he has a slow shooting start last year and caught fire in January. He had a slow shooting start this year. Seems like it takes him a while to get going. So essentially, we are going to have a slow starter who may not find his shooting groove until March, if at all this year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I noticed that same leg was wrapped. Maybe he hurt it in practice first?
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Airizona wrote:
gumby wrote:LM -- six assists/six games. He's going to get more attention as the season goes along. Hope he can find the open man. We need more creators. Almost all on Parker at the moment.
He must have read this post. 5 assists tonight
That was encouraging. Some really nice dimes.
gumby

Post by gumby »

dmjcat wrote:
Matt tweeted back that he messed up. It was bizarre. It was all I was thinking about.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wonder if his ankle is considered stable or unstable. Imagine he will be in a boot for a couple weeks while rehabbing. I bet we don;t see him until the second week of the conference season at best. Tough break for sure
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ScottRobert77

Post by ScottRobert77 »

This was driving me nuts ALL game. They were one of the worst announcing duos I have heard. They were so busy yapping the whole time, they didn't even notice him limping off (badly) and never returned. Just a bad, bad job. Like two girls who were reunited after 20 years after their last sorority date dash together.
gumby wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Matt tweeted back that he messed up. It was bizarre. It was all I was thinking about.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

ScottRobert77 wrote:This was driving me nuts ALL game. They were one of the worst announcing duos I have heard. They were so busy yapping the whole time, they didn't even notice him limping off (badly) and never returned. Just a bad, bad job. Like two girls who were reunited after 20 years after their last sorority date dash together.
gumby wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
My thoughts exactly......I was so stunned at their sheer incompetence that I literally couldn't concentrate on the rest of the game. How the heck do you not comment on the starting PG leaving hurt? Especially with the year we've had with injuries......reminded me of how much I dislike Walton because he will go off on tangents during the game when all I want is a friggin' commentator talking about the actual game.

Infuriating.....
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

So how does Walton compare to Dizzy Dean in 'off on a tangent' game?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
gumby

Post by gumby »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah. He's missed. Seven assists total for Cats. Seems nobody else knows how to set up LM.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

gumby wrote:Yeah. He's missed. Seven assists total for Cats. Seems nobody else knows how to set up LM.
But, you know... Worst player in the Pac-12
gumby

Post by gumby »

dcZONAfan wrote:
gumby wrote:Yeah. He's missed. Seven assists total for Cats. Seems nobody else knows how to set up LM.
But, you know... Worst player in the Pac-12
He'll produce more now that he's out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He's going to be out for a while. CSM said in the 4 to 8 week timeline, it's looking closer to 8.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:He's going to be out for a while. CSM said in the 4 to 8 week timeline, it's looking closer to 8.
I'm still praying to the NCAA for Trier.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

End of January, early Feb. Just in time to get back for UW/ Ore State and a March run.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Sucks. Damn.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Of course :lol: :lol: . Hopefully prayers are answered with Trier sooner rather than later.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Cautiously happy. High ankle sprains are nothing to mess around with, but good to see a marker in progress.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
About 4 weeks.

Arizona guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright practiced Monday for the first time since suffering a high ankle sprain on Nov. 30, though UA coach Sean Miller said it is still uncertain if he will play Friday at Cal.

On today’s Pac-12 teleconference call, Miller said the staff is taking his recovery carefully while he works through discomfort. He will make the Wildcats’ trip to the Bay area on Thursday while he continues to be evaluated.

“We’re taking it slow,” Miller said. “He had some pain but the pain continues to improve. We allowed him to do a few competitive segments and it’s important for us not to put him in harm’s way or jeopardize his recovery.

“He’s closer to returning. We initially thought it would be more like eight weeks. That’s far from the truth but whether it will be this weekend remains to be seen.”

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 57bd7.html" target="_blank
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Good news, thanks UAE and HiCat! Bear Down.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Good news.

Has anyone here ever had a high-ankle sprain? Curious what it feels like when you first get back at it - same as your everyday sprain but higher up?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Good news.

Has anyone here ever had a high-ankle sprain? Curious what it feels like when you first get back at it - same as your everyday sprain but higher up?
Yes. I probably rushed back too early, so my experience is not reflective. I assume PJC had access to better rehab than I did in HS. It's a pretty debilitating injury. I lost a lot of power off it and reinjured in building it back up.

It murders your lateral movement and explosiveness off the leg. Your ankle just isn't mobile and it hurts to try to produce any power. That's why I'm really hopeful Parker has a better rehab plan than I did (we had no sports conditioning and no rehab). Strengthening the ankle before putting it through game conditions is a huge deal.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

My concern is that PJC's main advantage is his quickness and the very action of cutting fast could reinjure his ankle or if he tries to protect it, he won't be very effective.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Daryl Zero wrote:My concern is that PJC's main advantage is his quickness and the very action of cutting fast could reinjure his ankle or if he tries to protect it, he won't be very effective.
The hardest regular movement for me was driving off that ankle laterally when playing defense. I would assume other teams will make him demonstrate that he can push off that ankle to cut off penetration. Offensively, it should not be a huge deal, but his ability to handle penetration and slide aggressively through picks is what I would worry about.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yes. I probably rushed back too early, so my experience is not reflective. I assume PJC had access to better rehab than I did in HS. It's a pretty debilitating injury. I lost a lot of power off it and reinjured in building it back up.

It murders your lateral movement and explosiveness off the leg. Your ankle just isn't mobile and it hurts to try to produce any power. That's why I'm really hopeful Parker has a better rehab plan than I did (we had no sports conditioning and no rehab). Strengthening the ankle before putting it through game conditions is a huge deal.
I never played without McDavid ankle braces and/or a taping because my ankles were so bad. Only a couple of sprains were so bad that I was out of commission for more than a week, so I'm trying to get a visual. It is crazy when you think about it. You got injured in high school and you went to a trainer with virtually no equipment, who would bend over backwards for the cute girl's soccer player but look at you like you were an annoyance before handing you a bag of ice. Then you go to college and they have stim machines, ice baths, and all sorts of rehab machines and tools. I'll never forget the time one of the trainers overheard me complaining about a sore shoulder to a teammate, which led to a 15-minute shoulder massage and stretching before the game. Pain gone. Didn't even know all that was available beforehand. I can only imagine how nice things are at the more prominent D1 schools who have the best trainers, strength and conditioning experts, equipment, and great working relationships with the best minds in the medical field.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I never played without McDavid ankle braces and/or a taping because my ankles were so bad. Only a couple of sprains were so bad that I was out of commission for more than a week, so I'm trying to get a visual. It is crazy when you think about it. You got injured in high school and you went to a trainer with virtually no equipment, who would bend over backwards for the cute girl's soccer player but look at you like you were an annoyance before handing you a bag of ice. Then you go to college and they have stim machines, ice baths, and all sorts of rehab machines and tools. I'll never forget the time one of the trainers overheard me complaining about a sore shoulder to a teammate, which led to a 15-minute shoulder massage and stretching before the game. Pain gone. Didn't even know all that was available beforehand. I can only imagine how nice things are at the more prominent D1 schools who have the best trainers, strength and conditioning experts, equipment, and great working relationships with the best minds in the medical field.
In HS, we didn't even have a trainer for basketball. Assistant coaches taped ankles. I did my ankle as a freshman and didn't know about taping ankles at that point, so I just stumbled around with Ace wrap for a while.

In college, I got introduced to seriously requiring taped ankles or the McDavid brace. I grew to love the McDavid brace and still have 2. Even from my time in college, the rehab has changed. I saw a segment on Alabama having zero gravity pool treadmills to keep a player's cardio up by running while having no impact on the healing of leg injuries. They said they can even use it through breaks. Insane.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

also dancing
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There's a poster on the Scout board who is laying money that Barcello will be starting over PJC at some point next year.

And I'll just leave you with that.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I would play pickup games with my shoes untied... Ankles of steel. Never tested that in an actual game, because nobody wants sweaty armpit stains from crutches.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:I would play pickup games with my shoes untied... Ankles of steel. Never tested that in an actual game, because nobody wants sweaty armpit stains from crutches.
Playing a pickup game with untied shoes was how I blew my ankle in HS. It's all good until you get hit from behind in midair while shooting a J.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I had no lateral quickness to lose.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:There's a poster on the Scout board who is laying money that Barcello will be starting over PJC at some point next year.

I'm not the biggest PJC fan, but that is easy money. Barcello is a developmental prospect. I would be surprised if he was a contributor as a freshman, stunned if he started.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:I had no lateral quickness to lose.
Sim Bhullar, is that you?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:There's a poster on the Scout board who is laying money that Barcello will be starting over PJC at some point next year.

"In a world where basketball is the staff of life, a lone typist stands between a diminutive point guard and a fatally flawed decision. He has a keyboard, and he isn't afraid to use it. But will he find the right words, or continue to use the same hyperbole ... over and over? Coming this fall, PJC Sucks, Part IV!"
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gumby wrote:I had no lateral quickness to lose.
Sim Bhullar, is that you?
I am no sim. I am the real deal.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'm not the biggest PJC fan, but that is easy money. Barcello is a developmental prospect. I would be surprised if he was a contributor as a freshman, stunned if he started.
You would think PJC would be developed enough in his senior year to grab that role.

But Barcello is just the lowest rated recruit on our amazing class. A 70-ish national PG/combo guard is a rating similar to a PJC, maybe better by the time he actually finished high school. And Barcello was a late momentum player because he didn't slave away at the national level AAU circuit...but he did for one series, did so with Oakland Soldiers, tore the place up, and suddenly went from a Stanford lock to Miller and elite level offers. He is in the low 70's, high 80's in part because of that late national splash, similar to how Richard Jefferson jumped up national ratings because he finally did some national level stuff.

I would say we should hope PJC is, as a senior, the clear leader for the role of point, but I would not think it easy money. I think Barcello will push for early minutes. Unless Alex is a total under-the-radar superstar in the making but overlooked ala TJ, it won't be the best news for us if Alex gets significant PT. But I don't think it is out of the question. After his Soldiers run, then seeing him almost single-handedly beat Christ the King (NY) a couple of weeks back...he might be ready to make an impact.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: In HS, we didn't even have a trainer for basketball. Assistant coaches taped ankles. I did my ankle as a freshman and didn't know about taping ankles at that point, so I just stumbled around with Ace wrap for a while.

In college, I got introduced to seriously requiring taped ankles or the McDavid brace. I grew to love the McDavid brace and still have 2. Even from my time in college, the rehab has changed. I saw a segment on Alabama having zero gravity pool treadmills to keep a player's cardio up by running while having no impact on the healing of leg injuries. They said they can even use it through breaks. Insane.
Having assistant coaches taping ankles is ridiculous. We taped each others' ankles, which is probably even worse. Other than being active in case of an emergency and on standby during games, high school trainers are worthless :lol: Wonder if that has changed at all, especially with our society being so worried about liability.
TucsonClip wrote:I would play pickup games with my shoes untied... Ankles of steel. Never tested that in an actual game, because nobody wants sweaty armpit stains from crutches.
That's nuts. I remember that period when the cool thing to do was leave your shoes untied and your laces loose, and you would tie knots on each end of the lace so a few inches would stick out of the top lace hole without ever having to worry about the laces slipping back through. The only time that changed was when I would play a random pick up game because I had to lace them up tight. Then you look like an asshole with tied laces with big ball knots dancing on the top of your shoes and making clicking sounds as you run up and down the floor. :lol: I just cannot grasp how these guys are playing in low tops now. Ive heard "high tops are a myth" and "the low shoes do not put you at higher risk for ankle injuries," but I just don't see it. I remember how scary it was to play in Air Force 1 lows and running shoes. I know shoe technology has changed, but still. These new high tops are light as hell too so I can only imagine how the lows are. I remember looking at the weights of the shoes on Eastbay and you rarely saw anything under 14 ounces, even guard shoes.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

No way Barcello starts over PJC :lol: People are acting like the dude was playing like dog shit before his ankle injury too. He was like 2nd in the conference in assists and assist to turnover ratio IIRC, some things were starting to click nicely on offense, and he was becoming more aggressive. It would take a top 10 level, pure point guard to take away PJCs starting role as a senior. Even then, we know how Miller is loyal to those who stick around for four years, so who knows, said freshman would have to be doing a lot of things.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

When I was 21 I suffered a high ankle sprain playing intramurals. After about 7 weeks it healed up. The problem with high ankle sprains is it can be a nightmare recovery depending on which of the tibiofibular ligaments get strained or torn. For me it was my anterior. This made pushing off with my right foot painfull as hell. Even after I got back at it, it would still be tender afterwards and I would ice it. After about 3-4 more weeks all the pain subsided.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:No way Barcello starts over PJC :lol: People are acting like the dude was playing like dog shit before his ankle injury too. He was like 2nd in the conference in assists and assist to turnover ratio IIRC, some things were starting to click nicely on offense, and he was becoming more aggressive. It would take a top 10 level, pure point guard to take away PJCs starting role as a senior. Even then, we know how Miller is loyal to those who stick around for four years, so who knows, said freshman would have to be doing a lot of things.
I think it's intentional that Miller took a 70ish PG going into PJC's senior year. If Barcello develops, maybe we don't look for an immediate starter in 18-19. If Barcello looks like a JR/SR contributor, we go hard at the pg's we're recruiting in '18. Either way, next year is PJC with Barcello doing what he can as backup.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:No way Barcello starts over PJC :lol: People are acting like the dude was playing like dog shit before his ankle injury too. He was like 2nd in the conference in assists and assist to turnover ratio IIRC, some things were starting to click nicely on offense, and he was becoming more aggressive. It would take a top 10 level, pure point guard to take away PJCs starting role as a senior. Even then, we know how Miller is loyal to those who stick around for four years, so who knows, said freshman would have to be doing a lot of things.
I don't think it will happen. It would mean we have some issues, like I said.

But the opportunity comes from game play. If PJC is struggling and his backup comes in and performs, loyalty will go out the door. If rankings are accurate, yes, I would agree with you. If Barcello is underrated due to his late emergence in the elite AAU circuit, we really wouldn't know until he proves it.

As long as PJC plays well, of course, he is going to be the starter. My side of this is purely in thinking Barcello is underrated and is being automatically put in the '4 year player, won't contribute for a while' box. I think he is better than a lot of people think. But certainly, if PJC is playing at the level he was playing pre-conference, and carries that on true road trips...which still remains the mysterious stumbling block for him until he proves otherwise...then he is clearly the starter. And he is clearly the starter at the beginning of the season, regardless of practice play, because he has proven it. If Barcello ever starts for us at point in 2017-18, as I said, it either means he was way underrated and is a superstar, or we are in trouble because PJC is struggling or hurt.
I do think Alex is capable of contributing , tho.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I think it's intentional that Miller took a 70ish PG going into PJC's senior year. If Barcello develops, maybe we don't look for an immediate starter in 18-19. If Barcello looks like a JR/SR contributor, we go hard at the pg's we're recruiting in '18. Either way, next year is PJC with Barcello doing what he can as backup.
I don't think there was that much premeditation in Miller's taking Alex with calculation of ranking and who he had on roster. He has been on Alex for a while. Alex needed to believe in Alex. That was the issue. Miller told him from day one he was good enough to play at an elite level and he needed to risk showing it. It took Alex going to play with Soldiers and having the success he has had at Corona when it was his team and not Bagley's. And, of course, when Miller saw his recruiting pitch was on the money, and Alex went out and played elite against elite, the offer was a matter of both sides realizing together that this could work. And it was a short courtship. Alex was fully in with Stanford until changes happened there.

I think a player Miller had been watching closely, who is also in state, finally balled out and showed Arizona good, and it is a position of need, so Miller struck. If the rankings has suddenly made Alex #5 overall, Miller would have offered. If the rankings were lagged and didn't catch up with his recent performance and had him at 105, Miller would have offered. It was both Stanford falling off and Alex slimming down like a recent divorcee and flaunting his stuff as a newly free recruit that led to the offer.