What was up with the screaming last night?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheGreatCatsby

What was up with the screaming last night?

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

In the second half, it started. Whenever we shot a free throw, this blood curdling scream. Then whenever GCU took a shot, the same shrieking....was SOOOOO annoying. Was hoping Greg Byrne would come down from on high and slap someone upside the head.

What was that, some GCU (Phoenix) fan, or cheerleader, or what???? Surprised none of our fans communicated to them to STFU.
Chicat

Re: What was up with the screaming last night?

Post by Chicat »

I actually think a woman was being stabbed in the third row. RIP...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Trier angle. PM me.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dessert flown in from the Trump Grill(e).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If someone screams in the second half of a 9 PM Pac 12 Network game, does it make a sound?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

evidently it was a GCU fan who started it and then our fans mimicked it. I mentioned that they had been tweeting everyday about this game and it was circled on their calendar. Big game for them.

One guy said we shoudl schedule a home and home with them but that is crazy. Beating them has zero upside and should they beat us has nothing but negatives. They can just keep driving down I-10 if they want to play
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That's how I see it J.

Sounded like a cat in heat.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Disagree about the home and home. Good tough environment and more exposure in the rest of Arizona.

Sucks that our fans let so many GCU get tickets but with the holidays and late start it is somewhat expected and not a slam or out down or negative reflection of our base at this time.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

The woman is a GCU fan/student/something...she made it on to some national shows when she was doing the same thing at home games a couple weeks back. That's her move. Then, we had Arizona fan/students mimicking her.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So she wasn't murdered?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Disagree about the home and home. Good tough environment and more exposure in the rest of Arizona.

Sucks that our fans let so many GCU get tickets but with the holidays and late start it is somewhat expected and not a slam or out down or negative reflection of our base at this time.
We don't have an exposure problem. Why lose the revenue? There's a reason most majors don't go to low D1 programs for away games. It just does not have any reward, and if GCU doesn't want to come here, someone else will.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

And you will have to pay them.

I would love to see them here in PHX but get why Tucson doesn't. Have to cater to Phoenix as well but not nearly as much as Tucson. After this football season GB is going to need to do a lot to help the U of A Athletics image unless U of A makes a deep run. This would help and be a good NCAA tournament feelin game for the team.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

i thought this was about other screaming. like at 10 pm last night outside my house i heard someone just screaming bloody murder for like 5 minutes straight. sounded like it was coming from a block or so down the street.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I think GCU can get up into that top 100 rpi range but with them being in the WAC, its too much risk to have a home/home. If they were a big draw, then ok we can sell tickets and exposure. I think they are a great program and clearly the best in the valley but until ESPN sees them as worthy and sends a crew, they can take their 84k and drive on down.

Also, wasnt this game not included in the student pass? So students would have to buy a regular ticket at it was 9pm on a finals night. Makes sense why their fans drove down and had energy to scream. It was their super bowl. They knew the exposure it would bring.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have no clue how someone would say playing a WAC program on the road would benefit us.

First is the revenue. If we are going on the road it likely would or should be a Marque made for TV game. That also helps us get ready for the tourney as no game in that tourney is a road game.

Doesn't help with recruiting and beating them is of no value. I will wait for the day they are relevant in some way before I ever agreed to a home and home or 2 for 1
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

I was at the game last night, there were a sizable amount of GCU fans but people make it sound like they were overrunning us. Other than the screaming girl, they weren't THAT loud. They owned the visitor Section 108, a few expensive seats, and the area behind their bench. Other than that at most 10% scattered. So conservatively with the emptiest I've seen McKale since non-conf 2008, they made up 15% of the fans.

Small compared to the visiting sections for football, and smaller than UCLA in the 2000s, CU when they first joined Pac, and ASU during their magical dream season where they made the round of 32. But it was bigger than say when UW and SDSU were good and we were post Lute.

Which I guess relatively is a lot. Almost all were students excited for the novelty to have something decent to cheer for, not so much crusty old alums with tradition.

As a note the last major UCLA presence in McKale was during 2011-2012 when Derrick Williams absolutely demoralized them. And I've never seen UCLA fans with even a minor gathering since. it'll be interesting to see if they return this year.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

agreed that there's little upside to scheduling a home and home with gcu. at best, book 'em for an exhibition game (and bring back the likes of marathon oil and aia while we're at it). maybe time to reconsider the pac scheduling stonewall.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

dirtbags wrote:agreed that there's little upside to scheduling a home and home with gcu. at best, book 'em for an exhibition game (and bring back the likes of marathon oil and aia while we're at it). maybe time to reconsider the pac scheduling stonewall.
If they are a perennial WAC conference contender, we could use the SOS boost. More so than say our annual NAU game. We schedule about 3 low tier schools every non-con anyway. I think it may behoove us to have ties to Dan Majerle and Colangelo, the only good sports businessman the Valley has ever had.

It benefits them for sure. If we play them 10 times and crush them 9, and they eek out one win, it'll make their program. And if they lose they get tons of money.

Would it be hurtful or helpful if GCU turned into a lesser version of Witchita State here?

edit: Oh I see the argument is whether we should play them in Phoenix or not. In that case, I dunno. Maybe when they return to non-profit status.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote:Disagree about the home and home. Good tough environment and more exposure in the rest of Arizona.
Does the UofA need more exposure in the state of Arizona? Not like we have any real competition here for exposure.
1stNGrant Frys wrote:More so than say our annual NAU game.
Scheduling NAU when we do isn't a choice, it's a requirement from the ABOR. We have zero choice when it comes to whether we play NAU or not.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:
dirtbags wrote:agreed that there's little upside to scheduling a home and home with gcu. at best, book 'em for an exhibition game (and bring back the likes of marathon oil and aia while we're at it). maybe time to reconsider the pac scheduling stonewall.
If they are a perennial WAC conference contender, we could use the SOS boost. More so than say our annual NAU game. We schedule about 3 low tier schools every non-con anyway. I think it may behoove us to have ties to Dan Majerle and Colangelo, the only good sports businessman the Valley has ever had.

It benefits them for sure. If we play them 10 times and crush them 9, and they eek out one win, it'll make their program. And if they lose they get tons of money.

Would it be hurtful or helpful if GCU turned into a lesser version of Witchita State here?

edit: Oh I see the argument is whether we should play them in Phoenix or not. In that case, I dunno. Maybe when they return to non-profit status.
No issue with playing GCU, but it should always be in Tucson.

A road game vs GCU is going to be much tougher than it looks. It will be the Super Bowl for their team and fans, but we won't get a numbers boost that reflects how truly difficult the game would be. We get a middling OOC RPI game in exchange for walking into a hostile environment with a charged up team and fan base. We get a game sort of like we got at UTEP two years ago. Plus, you throw away the money you make playing at home.

It's not our responsibility to help their program. We already have a game in Phoenix every year. Going on the road does nothing. We have all the leverage and should use it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Silly thought fueled by someone who thinks Miller should play in Phoenix to appeal alumni.

They are 130ish in RPI and only that high because they played SDSU, us and Louisville this year. You could look at the RPI and pick a dozen teams to play that make more sense then the Lopes.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I have heard of a requirement for the state schools to play NAU. But it isn't reflected in the schedule. ASU has played NAU 2 times in 15 years (lost em both). The last time they played was in 2011. Its the same for football. Generally UA plays NAU every 2 years. Tempe has gone on a 3 year stretch without playing NAU in football. I think its more of a recommendation rather than a requirement. NAU didn't play any of the state schools (except for something called Benedictine (AZ)) this year.

But yes, GCU maybe on the rise but until UA gets something of value from a home/home, its not worth it.
Last edited by Gilbertcat on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

GCU is for Phoenix residents who desperately need something to cheer for. It shouldn't be a part of college basketball, but due to an unprecedented situation that went unanticipated, has somehow established itself as a program competing against actual division 1 college basketball programs. Maybe the makers of Country Crock Buttery Spreads can get a college basketball program, too.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

While GCU is not a traditional school it is much closer to one than University of Phoenix or Devry so while it being for profit isn't ideal I have no issue with them having d1 sports. I remember them trying to go non profit a few years ago but it hit a snag and now with the higher stock prices the last few years it probably won't happen in the near future.

I am not saying play at GCU tomorrow or next year but something to consider in the next few years if the GCU program continues on its rise. The brand equity of U of A in Phoenix has fallen the last few years in terms of the general university and athletics. Probably part of the reason why GB scheduled the Houston and Phoenix Texas A&M games and has tried to get others from what I have heard. Also while GCU fans and players would be their "super bowl" there would be tons of U of A fans making it like an NCAA tournament environment while could help. Also like 1st said, helping out Colangelo would be great for the U of A program as Miller isn't involved with USA basketball anymore to my knowledge. Finally we have to pay GCU now to play in Tucson. Doing a 2 for 1 would eliminate that when they come to U of A twice.

There are risks but you can't say there are no benefits. And yes I will admit I probably am biased in wishing I could see U of A play ten minutes away from me. What about playing At Phoenix College or Paradise Valley CC?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's a fake university offering fake education, like fake news. Playing Louisville and Duke and Kentucky and Arizona in makes it look real, and the fake legitimacy propels its appearance as real, like Trump's falsehood-propelled march to the White House. None of this is normal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:While GCU is not a traditional school it is much closer to one than University of Phoenix or Devry so while it being for profit isn't ideal I have no issue with them having d1 sports. I remember them trying to go non profit a few years ago but it hit a snag and now with the higher stock prices the last few years it probably won't happen in the near future.

I am not saying play at GCU tomorrow or next year but something to consider in the next few years if the GCU program continues on its rise. The brand equity of U of A in Phoenix has fallen the last few years in terms of the general university and athletics. Probably part of the reason why GB scheduled the Houston and Phoenix Texas A&M games and has tried to get others from what I have heard. Also while GCU fans and players would be their "super bowl" there would be tons of U of A fans making it like an NCAA tournament environment while could help. Also like 1st said, helping out Colangelo would be great for the U of A program as Miller isn't involved with USA basketball anymore to my knowledge. Finally we have to pay GCU now to play in Tucson. Doing a 2 for 1 would eliminate that when they come to U of A twice.

There are risks but you can't say there are no benefits. And yes I will admit I probably am biased in wishing I could see U of A play ten minutes away from me. What about playing At Phoenix College or Paradise Valley CC?
I still don't see a benefit. Our brand is fine. We sell out the red/blue game in under a day. We already play a Phoenix game at ASU. Playing low major OOC games on the road is not beneficial. We don't need it for recruiting.

Plus, what you ignore is the opportunity cost. We can schedule GCU at home any time we want. If we want a challening neutral or road OOC game, we have plenty of better options than GCU. Like aTm. If we can play a neutral site game in Phoenix with a respected P5 opponent, we should do that every day of the week before we consider playing at GCU for a second.

Edit: this all seems to be out of a desire to smooch Phoenix fans on the cheeks or lend a hand to GCU. Neither is necessary. Arizona basketball does not need it. Arizona football...maybe.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I agree with playing a P5 game at Talking Stick or Gila River being better for sure. Would love for that every year or 2 or 3. NBA arenas would be a great advantage come March.

For the playing in Phoenix every year it doesn't help build U of A back up in my opinion due to it being forced, and ASSU raising ticket prices for the game and don't everything thy can to keep U of A out. Also I know a few people who won't go no matter what due to not wanting to financially support ASSU or ASSU fans being awful.

While you are right that U of A doesn't need to smooch Phoenix alumni or fans it would help for sure in increasing revenue for U of A which will help all sports including raising assistant coaches salaries in football so they don't show promise and then leave after less than a year. Greg knows that Tucson is close to being tapped and maxed out for revenue.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:I agree with playing a P5 game at Talking Stick or Gila River being better for sure. Would love for that every year or 2 or 3. NBA arenas would be a great advantage come March.

For the playing in Phoenix every year it doesn't help build U of A back up in my opinion due to it being forced, and ASSU raising ticket prices for the game and don't everything thy can to keep U of A out. Also I know a few people who won't go no matter what due to not wanting to financially support ASSU or ASSU fans being awful.

While you are right that U of A doesn't need to smooch Phoenix alumni or fans it would help for sure in increasing revenue for U of A which will help all sports including raising assistant coaches salaries in football so they don't show promise and then leave after less than a year. Greg knows that Tucson is close to being tapped and maxed out for revenue.
Basketball-wise, revenue is pretty much maxed, at least for the factors we can control. Short of expanding McKale, we sell everything out, have strong merchandise sales and the TV revenue can only be expanded by marquee OOC games, which GCU is not. Pac network is an albatross we're sort of forced to drag right now.

Other than retail, there isn't much to be gained basketball wise in Phx. That's why I raise football. Between filling the stadium and tailgating, we are at under peak capacity there. Football has a lot of untapped potential. Basketball, not so much.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Longhorned wrote:GCU is for Phoenix residents who desperately need something to cheer for. It shouldn't be a part of college basketball, but due to an unprecedented situation that went unanticipated, has somehow established itself as a program competing against actual division 1 college basketball programs. Maybe the makers of Country Crock Buttery Spreads can get a college basketball program, too.
Longhorned wrote:It's a fake university offering fake education, like fake news. Playing Louisville and Duke and Kentucky and Arizona in makes it look real, and the fake legitimacy propels its appearance as real, like Trump's falsehood-propelled march to the White House. None of this is normal.

+1 and +1, although i'd prefer that betty crocker initiate a college basketball program just so we can actually say that we're playing a cupcake team
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

For the most part, phoenix alums that like sports attend football games and the occasional ball games. Playing in Phoenix would have no impact in the least.

There is zero, I want to say it again, zero in playing at there arena. It in no way prepares us for the tourney which has no home court factor and the arenas we play in are staples size for the most part. Heck, McKale is almost to small.

GB and certainly Miller owes us alums nothing. ZIP. They win we come. Miller doesn't need exposure to help recruiting . GB could call a network and say we Want to play Gonzaga in Phoenix are you interested in television it and bam, a Made for TV game with loads of revenue.

We need no help from Colangelo, who by the way could give a rats as about the UofA. Miller could benefit from it though should he want to leverage his bread and butter job and it's employer.

I just don't understand how anyone could even think playing
Them in Phoenix at there place is a win win. Comical actually
Bear Down Vegas

Longhorned wrote:It's a fake university offering fake education, like fake news. Playing Louisville and Duke and Kentucky and Arizona in makes it look real, and the fake legitimacy propels its appearance as real, like Trump's falsehood-propelled march to the White House. None of this is normal.

Forgive my ignorance here because I honestly don't know...but if you're not being sarcastic (which is never a given) then can you spell this out in layman's terms for me?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:

Forgive my ignorance here because I honestly don't know...but if you're not being sarcastic (which is never a given) then can you spell this out in layman's terms for me?
Apologies, BDV, I was talking like a cave person, though I'm the first person in humanity to use this PC term.

Here's an articulation of GCU's character that's better in every way than my lame attempt:

http://archive.azcentral.com/news/arizo ... nking.html" target="_blank

Here's a summation of research about a general problem associated with for-profit higher education, which sells itself as a "practical" alternative to traditional universities:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 1274dbcb29" target="_blank

If you look at the degree programs offered, and look at the credentials of the faculty, these things are telling on their own. Courses and entire degree programs are taught by instructors who have no academic training in the subject. Nearly every instructor is adjunct. I haven't been able to find a single full-time faculty member with a doctorate for a reputable university, though I'm open to anyone able to point me to one. There's no evidence of research-driven teaching.

But none of this is surprising, since GCU a for-profit institution, where the education offered answers to private shareholders. The Carnegie ranking is the lowest: R3. But since most attendees (the vast majority of which are online) don't know what that means, the driving consideration is the interest of shareholders, and therefore tuition dollars and the Christian mission of the institution.

Finally, GCU is aware of these issues. They recently applied for non-profit status, but the proposal reflected such an entrenched business rather than academic model that the Higher Learning Commission rejected the proposed status as "non-profit."

My sister did a master's program there. She checked with me constantly about the ins and outs of the curriculum and how her program was administered and advised its students. Those who have experienced grad programs at a place like U of A, ASU, or NAU wouldn't recognize it as grad school.
Last edited by Longhorned on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i think gcu's foray into d1 sports also compounds the apprehensions that many already have around for-profit colleges and all the egregious shit we hear about them. as a revenue-driven institution, gcu is wants to exploit d1 sports as a lever for marketing & growth. but even folks who don't have an issue with the role of the profit motive in higher ed would, as sports fans, raise an eyebrow when you have a school whose stock price is impacted by athletic success. scheduling gcu bolsters their visibility, brand, and perceived eminence with little upside for us or their student body. we are helping to build the front porch of a house that collapses on its tenants.
Bear Down Vegas

Longhorned wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:

Apologies, BDV, I was talking like a cave person, though I'm the first person in humanity to use this PC term.

Here's an articulation of GCU's character that's better in every way than my lame attempt:

http://archive.azcentral.com/news/arizo ... nking.html" target="_blank

Here's a summation of research about a general problem associated with for-profit higher education, which sells itself as a "practical" alternative to traditional universities:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 1274dbcb29" target="_blank

If you look at the degree programs offered, and look at the credentials of the faculty, these things are telling on their own. Courses and entire degree programs are taught by instructors who have no academic training in the subject. Nearly every instructor is adjunct. I haven't been able to find a single full-time faculty member with a doctorate for a reputable university, though I'm open to anyone able to point me to one. There's no evidence of research-driven teaching.

But none of this is surprising, since GCU a for-profit institution, where the education offered answers to private shareholders. The Carnegie ranking is the lowest: R3. But since most attendees (the vast majority of which are online) don't know what that means, the driving consideration is the interest of shareholders, and therefore tuition dollars and the Christian mission of the institution.

Finally, GCU is aware of these issues. They recently applied for non-profit status, but the proposal reflected such an entrenched business rather than academic model that the Higher Learning Commission rejected the proposed status as "non-profit."

My sister did a master's program there. She checked with me constantly about the ins and outs of the curriculum and how her program was administered and advised its students. Those who have experienced grad programs at a place like U of A, ASU, or NAU wouldn't recognize it as grad school.
Very much thanks. I have a friend who got their Masters online at the school (so that's why I asked) and this spells out exactly what I was curious about. Gracias.