Lauri Markkanen

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Lauri Markkanen

Post by gumby »

Main Event wrote:
Sure. Ruin the narrative.

Fultz has yet to win this. Over to you, Husky Nation!
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:*sigh.*

A week ago. "We're third best in conference. Really need to get Trier back"

A week later. "Where's the awards and recognition?!"

Bilas, DeCourcy, Gottlieb, Gasaway, Raftery and on and on.

"Yeah, but ... that weekly conference thingie."

Don't read this if you want to remain in Victimville.

http://allsportstucson.com/2017/01/21/n ... no-3-ucla/" target="_blank
As a fan, it really is ok to want to see your favorite team, coaches, and players get the recognition from the national press you think they deserve. I don't think its going too far out on a limb to say Lauri deserves some recognition for leading us to a sweep of the toughest roadtrip in the conference...
Me either. Just don't see it as a plot when it doesn't happen.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Somebody must have pinned Larry Scott under a sofa to make that happen. When he finally emerges, chest flattened from the compression, he'll say, "I'll get that Arizona! I'll get that Sean Miller! Where are my flying monkeys?! Go officiate the games in Vegas, and get thee to Cancun!!!"
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:

As a fan, it really is ok to want to see your favorite team, coaches, and players get the recognition from the national press you think they deserve. I don't think its going too far out on a limb to say Lauri deserves some recognition for leading us to a sweep of the toughest roadtrip in the conference...
Definitely with you. We sure can be a bitchy fanbase at times.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

threenumberones wrote:We sure can be a bitchy fanbase at times.
While true, I think that's endemic. I don't know whether Duke fans feel overlooked, but I remember Itamicbomb as a nice guy but pretty patronizing about Arizona basketball. Right up to that Sweet 16 match up in 2011, after which he came back for one final post. If I remember it right, he wrote:
Itamicbomb wrote:I'm back for one final post, because to disappear without it would be even more embarrassing. But truth be told, I can hardly breathe anymore, so weighed down am I by the humiliating annihilation I suffered with my Blue Devils at the hands of your demonstrably superior Arizona Wildcats, who snapped my team and my soul in half. If only I had been slightly more respectful of your fan base's faith in your program over the years, then perhaps I could sleep at night, look myself in the mirror, and eat solid foods without repeatedly soiling my shorts.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Me either, but I love to throw it out there anyway. Every hero needs a villain....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Longhorned wrote:
While true, I think that's endemic. I don't know whether Duke fans feel overlooked, but I remember Itamicbomb as a nice guy but pretty patronizing about Arizona basketball. Right up to that Sweet 16 match up in 2011, after which he came back for one final post. If I remember it right, he wrote:
Itamicbomb wrote:I'm back for one final post, because to disappear without it would be even more embarrassing. But truth be told, I can hardly breathe anymore, so weighed down am I by the humiliating annihilation I suffered with my Blue Devils at the hands of your demonstrably superior Arizona Wildcats, who snapped my team and my soul in half. If only I had been slightly more respectful of your fan base's faith in your program over the years, then perhaps I could sleep at night, look myself in the mirror, and eat solid foods without repeatedly soiling my shorts.
Itamicbomb was a good poster even for a Duke fan. You could have an intelligent discourse with him...unlike someone we know who is a Kansas fan.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Itamicbomb was a good poster even for a Duke fan. You could have an intelligent discourse with him...unlike someone we know who is a Kansas fan.
I know, I'm just giving him crap in hopes that, somehow, it makes him reappear. Still, what I'm saying is essentially true, even his final post.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Lauri needs to be getting as much praise if not more than Lonzo "Can't hang with Zona" Ball has been getting all year.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

That's on the way to Assh*le Valley and Hysteria, California, right?

I have to admit, the Phoenix NBC affiliate still saying UCLA is Best in the West bugs me.

Still, big ups to Lauri!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I was worried about Larry Scott...he was able to get the message to call the phantom T on Simmons, but just disappeared. I mean, he had a magical opportunity when Lauri hung on the rim to clear space beneath him. No one would have even really questioned that one.

I assumed he had a heart attack, or a bad case of the shits. Or some women's tennis was on BeIN

(It is our right to be bitchy about Larry Scott until the end of his tenure. Even if we don't believe what we say, he earned it).
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:I was worried about Larry Scott...he was able to get the message to call the phantom T on Simmons, but just disappeared. I mean, he had a magical opportunity when Lauri hung on the rim to clear space beneath him. No one would have even really questioned that one.

I assumed he had a heart attack, or a bad case of the shits. Or some women's tennis was on BeIN

(It is our right to be bitchy about Larry Scott until the end of his tenure. Even if we don't believe what we say, he earned it).
That's actually true.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Best shooting 7-footer college basketball has ever seen.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... draft-2017" target="_blank

"The only historical comparison is former West Virginia cult hero Kevin Pittsnogle, who hit 91 threes at a 40 percent clip in 2006. The difference is Pittsnogle was a senior while Markkanen is doing this as a freshman with a three-point percentage nine points higher."
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Best shooting 7-footer college basketball has ever seen.

"The only historical comparison is former West Virginia cult hero Kevin Pittsnogle, who hit 91 threes at a 40 percent clip in 2006. The difference is Pittsnogle was a senior while Markkanen is doing this as a freshman with a three-point percentage nine points higher."
That's the thing with Lauri. You just don't see his combination of size and skill. Maybe 3-4 guys in the NBA have that ability. He is a freak.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

One thing I enjoyed watching during the video in that article was Rawle when the shot goes up. Let's be honest, we expect every three Lauri shoots to go in. So does everyone else. But on 90% of those shots, Rawle is making a beeline for the offensive rebound. Never assumes, always there to make the other team pay if they are lucky enough to have Lauri actually miss one.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I try to explain that his ceiling is Dirk. Let the NBA execs slobber over Lonzo and TJ so he can fall to Phoenix. Building around Bledsoe, Booker, Criss, Bender, Warren and Markkanen sounds good to me.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Main Event wrote:
If he makes exactly 10 of his next 50, he ties James Smith.

Reminds me of Lutes old "Salim vs. RedDick" argument.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Pittsnogle wasn't 7'. He's 6'-10 or 11".
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
That was epic. I liked him. Knowledgeable.

I'm around Zag fans. They don't feel the love I feel the media gives them. Also around Coug fans, and they're enraged with the love we give the Zags. And the Husky fans just feel ignored.

Eye of the Beholder.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:

That's on the way to Assh*le Valley and Hysteria, California, right?

I have to admit, the Phoenix NBC affiliate still saying UCLA is Best in the West bugs me.

Still, big ups to Lauri!
True story. I briefly went to military school in Hesperia, so know Antelope Valley well. Marched all over that bitch.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Old guy here. Western Ky. had Jim McDaniels, a 7-footer with range, but that was well before the three-point shot. Team went to the Final Four, beating Kentucky along the way.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol @ women's tennis on bein
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

gumby wrote:

Old guy here. Western Ky. had Jim McDaniels, a 7-footer with range, but that was well before the three-point shot. Team went to the Final Four, beating Kentucky along the way.
Just looked him up...6'11, 1967-1961, no percentages given. Almost 40/game.
AZQuik

Post by AZQuik »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Was smith shooting on the old three point line?
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

AZQuik wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
Main Event wrote:

The vote to move the 3 pt. line back a foot came in May of 2007, so both Smith and Prybswrbyzywrpybrskyrwbpsyrpbwrprbrpwbrrbpywski played when the old line was in effect
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote: Prybswrbyzywrpybrskyrwbpsyrpbwrprbrpwbrrbpywski
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too many vowels though.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Well deserved.

I never even thought about the 3pointers made by a 7 footer (or any big) stuff. Crazy. I'm still shocked when he misses :lol: Unreal
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
The vote to move the 3 pt. line back a foot came in May of 2007, so both Smith and Prybswrbyzywrpybrskyrwbpsyrpbwrprbrpwbrrbpywski played when the old line was in effect
Which is why Steve Kerr's 57% 3PT record with 100 attempts may never be broken.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Well deserved.

I never even thought about the 3pointers made by a 7 footer (or any big) stuff. Crazy. I'm still shocked when he misses :lol: Unreal
I think of Lauri less as a 7-footer and more as being a stretch-4/swingman. What was more shocking to me was Derrick Williams hitting all those threes while (supposedly) playing Center.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I wonder if ESPN will fluff Lauri in the tourney like they fluffed Kaminski.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:LM up to #9

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/" target="_blank
If Lauri went to the Magic and played alongside AG at forward, I would enjoy that on many levels.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

If I am an NBA GM (I am sending out resumes as we speak), I have a really hard time passing up Lauri Markkanen at any pick, including 1.

To me, wings (SF/SG) are like a QB in a Fantasy Football draft (my previous GM experience)...there are a couple of "stop the world for this guy" stories (Michael Jordan, etc), but you can get a competent wing somewhere in the draft. They are all over the place. It seems like 6'8" guys who can dunk from the mid-court line and shoot the ball decently are everywhere. I understand this is not true, but if I have a top 3 pick, and there is no Michael Jordan or Kevin Durant or Lebron James on the board, I am not going SF/SG.

PG is a difficult position to fill. A really good PG can change a team. Steve Nash was the engine that made the 2000's Suns go. You could change the personnel around him and he was still going to win. If you can get a special PG that can operate on the NBA level, to me it is like a true 7' post player that can score off the block and the pick and roll...you have to take them. Ball is that, I think. I haven't seen Fultz to really know...is he a pure PG, or is he a scoring PG? And if so, is he a Russell Westbrook who is going to be able to score at will and distribute at the next level? That is what the scouting suggests, so I think you have to grab that.

But if I have that #1 pick and already have a good PG or a young PG expected to improve, I have to consider taking Lauri #1. He simply offers a skill set that is unique, and multi-faceted, and if he does what I think he will do at the pro level, he is basically Dirk Nowitski but with a far better dribble drive. The NBA is more about spacing, and Lauri creates space. He can switch off the NBA required pick and roll and has the lateral quickness to keep up with quicker guards, at least enough to disrupt the shot with his size. And he can get his shot off anywhere...even in the NBA, there aren't a lot of 7 footers guarding the perimeter. So either you put your 4 or 5 on him and get killed off the dribble, or you put a taller wing on him and unless it is KD, you have no chance of disrupting his shot wherever he wants to shoot from. This is, actually, something I think he needs to work more on...dribbling to a 15 footer at the elbow or mid range wings and shooting, as no one is going to disrupt his shot.

I think he is, like we saw with Andre Igoudala, possibly a better pro player than college. He creates match up nightmares, which is so much more important in the NBA, creates spacing, forces a team to either give him shots with a smaller player or drives with a bigger player (see also: match up nightmare), and is deadly on the pick and roll or pop on both ends of the floor, as he can roll, shoot, is 7 ft so he can hedge nicely, and if he gets switched onto the guard in a pick, he can defend.

If the Celtics have the #1 pick from Brooklyn, do they need a PG? I see the board just putting Fultz #1 regardless of team need (Looking at draftexpress). Does Boston need Fultz? Or is this a player that simply cannot be missed?

There are 3 PGs atop Draft Express board (Fultz, Ball, Smith). If the Lakers are at #2, yeah they take Ball.

I just see their current projection for the Suns to take Tatum and I think "great..a small forward".

I also worry for Lauri because the 7-10 are Minnesota, Sacramento, Orlando, New Orleans....more blah

I am just saying if he continues to do what he is doing, and maybe shows some more dribble to 15' and hit over smaller players? He might be right behind Fultz and Ball, or maybe if the Celtics have the #1 they figure out PG isn't their need?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Ill pass on anyone going to Orlando right now. I like Vogel, but dont have faith in them (Hennigan/DeVos) developing Lauri properly, nor constructing the roster around Gordon and Lauri adequately. Portland is your ideal destination for Lauri right now.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

This is the type of guy who blows up in the post season when everyone is watching.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

EVCat wrote:PG is a difficult position to fill. A really good PG can change a team. Steve Nash was the engine that made the 2000's Suns go. You could change the personnel around him and he was still going to win. If you can get a special PG that can operate on the NBA level, to me it is like a true 7' post player that can score off the block and the pick and roll...you have to take them. Ball is that, I think. I haven't seen Fultz to really know...is he a pure PG, or is he a scoring PG? And if so, is he a Russell Westbrook who is going to be able to score at will and distribute at the next level? That is what the scouting suggests, so I think you have to grab that.
Surprisingly, it has been a pretty easy position to fill the last 6-7 years. There are so many really good PGs in the NBA right now, and even more coming via this draft.

Fultz has been amazing. Getting to the rim, finishing at the rim, drawing fouls, making plays off the dribble. I think its a unique situation with two completely different types of PGs in Ball and Fultz, who both would be good picks at #1.
But if I have that #1 pick and already have a good PG or a young PG expected to improve, I have to consider taking Lauri #1. He simply offers a skill set that is unique, and multi-faceted, and if he does what I think he will do at the pro level, he is basically Dirk Nowitski but with a far better dribble drive. The NBA is more about spacing, and Lauri creates space. He can switch off the NBA required pick and roll and has the lateral quickness to keep up with quicker guards, at least enough to disrupt the shot with his size. And he can get his shot off anywhere...even in the NBA, there aren't a lot of 7 footers guarding the perimeter. So either you put your 4 or 5 on him and get killed off the dribble, or you put a taller wing on him and unless it is KD, you have no chance of disrupting his shot wherever he wants to shoot from. This is, actually, something I think he needs to work more on...dribbling to a 15 footer at the elbow or mid range wings and shooting, as no one is going to disrupt his shot.
Love Lauri, but he isnt the #1 pick. I think hes gonna be a very good NBA player, but he doesnt offer the versatility of someone like Porzingis on defense, nor the athleticism. However, you put him in a system with good ball movement, a spread floor, and a good PG, and he's going to carve up defenses. I actually like how he defends on the perimeter, moreso compared to in the paint, but his defensive versatility will limit how impactful overall he is. He will need to get better defending the perimeter, and I think that will happen. However, hes not a unicorn type player (3s and blocks).
If the Celtics have the #1 pick from Brooklyn, do they need a PG? I see the board just putting Fultz #1 regardless of team need (Looking at draftexpress). Does Boston need Fultz? Or is this a player that simply cannot be missed?
Yes, they need a PG. Thomas has one year left on his contract, the Celtics still need that star, go-to player, and Smart isnt going to take over a PG. They desperately need a #1 option and Fultz could develop into one.

-Shane Battier
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

That mock draft reminded me of a name I hadn't thought about it quite a while: Josh Jackson. I know they weren't mutually exclusive but I wouldn't trade Lauri for Jackson right now with how the seasons are working out.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Damn media. That's cuz he's from the east ... wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy east.
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
AZQuik wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Bunch of nobodies on that list. Apparently, a skill that hasn't been valued.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TucsonClip wrote:
EVCat wrote:PG is a difficult position to fill. A really good PG can change a team. Steve Nash was the engine that made the 2000's Suns go. You could change the personnel around him and he was still going to win. If you can get a special PG that can operate on the NBA level, to me it is like a true 7' post player that can score off the block and the pick and roll...you have to take them. Ball is that, I think. I haven't seen Fultz to really know...is he a pure PG, or is he a scoring PG? And if so, is he a Russell Westbrook who is going to be able to score at will and distribute at the next level? That is what the scouting suggests, so I think you have to grab that.
Surprisingly, it has been a pretty easy position to fill the last 6-7 years. There are so many really good PGs in the NBA right now, and even more coming via this draft.

Fultz has been amazing. Getting to the rim, finishing at the rim, drawing fouls, making plays off the dribble. I think its a unique situation with two completely different types of PGs in Ball and Fultz, who both would be good picks at #1.

Clip: My take on Fultz is he is a guy who could be an All Star at either the 1 or the 2, agree? Was debating him vs Ball the other day with someone and threw that out there as one of several reasons why I would chose Fultz first over Ball.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote:Damn media. That's cuz he's from the east ... wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy east.
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
AZQuik wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:
Main Event wrote:

Bunch of nobodies on that list. Apparently, a skill that hasn't been valued.
The only reason Kaminsky was drafted in the top 10 and getting 24 mpg in Charlotte. True otherwise though. Lauri is an upgrade over Kaminsky in every single aspect, especially looks.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

rgdeuce wrote:Clip: My take on Fultz is he is a guy who could be an All Star at either the 1 or the 2, agree? Was debating him vs Ball the other day with someone and threw that out there as one of several reasons why I would chose Fultz first over Ball.
Yup, you're right on. The Kobi thread was discussing his size fo the position. Well, if Kobi is a PG, hes above average. However, Fultz is a tad bit smaller, but much longer and clearly built to be able to play off the ball as well.

I'd still take Fultz over Ball, because of his ability to score the ball and create his own shot. Ball can certainly do that as well, but I still have concerns over Ball's release, and I think Fultz can literally create his own shot and connect from all over the floor. Two completely different types of PGs. Ball is a throw back, make everyone around him better, and hopefully hit the outside jumper. Fultz is the new age combo guard, who can do it all offensively and has some defensive potential I do like, when motivated.

-Shane Battier
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Selfishly I would love Lauri in Sac with Cousins, but objectively thst would be terrible for his career.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He still needs more shots a game. Hopefully with Trier on the floor other shots open up for him.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Looking at Lauri Markkanen's place in the Arizona record books...

Lauri Markkanen's historic season
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gimino wrote:Looking at Lauri Markkanen's place in the Arizona record books...

Lauri Markkanen's historic season
Nice breakdown AG!

One editing note: "but then he missed a 3-pointer with seven seconds in the West ......."

In the West what?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Main Event wrote:
I still have not seen anyone with a mid-season All American list with him on it. That's first, second or third team AAs. Can you name a big who is having a better season? Rabb is the closest I can think of, and aside from rebounding, Lauri has him beat pretty much everywhere else and plays on the much better team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:He still needs more shots a game. Hopefully with Trier on the floor other shots open up for him.
That will open the floor. Trier already did against UCLA. Having Zo plus a good game from Kobi and a solid one from Rawle was a major reason Lauri got the open looks from 3. That plus UCLA being a shaky defensive team.

Lauri has shouldered a ton of the load, but now we have weapons to keep other teams from keying on him. That makes me happy.