2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball

Post by EVCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I wonder if Jeff withy ever wishes he wasn't a mommas boy and came to Arizona.

Where is he these days? Self killed whatever potential he had.
He's actually doing OK for himself in the league. He has some hard to find defensive shot blocking ability and has managed to squeeze 10 to 12 mpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Withey
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

This has been an incredible year and this team is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites. The ride began with the injury to Smith, not to mention to Denny. The way the Program rallied around Smith is unmatched(yes Izzo I see you) and left me proud to be a supporter and ticket holder. Then came the whole Trier suspension. PJC goes down. Honestly, once PAC 12 play started, I did not expect Trier to return this year. Through everything, this team came together and checked their egos at the door.

Then news broke that Trier is back. It has been a long time since I was that excited for a regular season game as I was the UCLA game. Maybe Washington-DWill block game or the Gonzaga@McKale game??

As good as the team looked @ UCLA, they seemed to regress but kept on winning. Then Oregon happened :shock: followed by UCLA screwing up the home finale. Two weeks later, CSM reminded us all that this is truly is @APlayersProgram with the TO to make sure his players were poised and set up an all important inbounds play.

This year has been an absolute emotional roller coaster. I am proud for what this team has accomplished already and looking forward to future accomplishments.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Our offense just kept outputting points, which was nice to see. Trier and PJC were golden. The Chief step outs were nice. Rawle could be a great second year player if he stays.

Oregon sure was tough to stop the last 12 minutes. Too bad for Oregon Tyler Dorsey only plays the last 12 minutes as well.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Frybry02 wrote:This has been an incredible year and this team is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites. The ride began with the injury to Smith, not to mention to Denny. The way the Program rallied around Smith is unmatched(yes Izzo I see you) and left me proud to be a supporter and ticket holder. Then came the whole Trier suspension. PJC goes down. Honestly, once PAC 12 play started, I did not expect Trier to return this year. Through everything, this team came together and checked their egos at the door.

Then news broke that Trier is back. It has been a long time since I was that excited for a regular season game as I was the UCLA game. Maybe Washington-DWill block game or the Gonzaga@McKale game??

As good as the team looked @ UCLA, they seemed to regress but kept on winning. Then Oregon happened :shock: followed by UCLA screwing up the home finale. Two weeks later, CSM reminded us all that this is truly is @APlayersProgram with the TO to make sure his players were poised and set up an all important inbounds play.

This year has been an absolute emotional roller coaster. I am proud for what this team has accomplished already and looking forward to future accomplishments.
I was just going to post something similar Fryboy02......Would also add Kadeem's gruesome injury that would sideline many players but that badass played through it (also losing T Ferg to overseas)...CSM has so much love for Kadeem and this team as a whole.

Looks like one of the most coachable, unselfish group we've had and I'm already damned proud of this season.....reminds me a bit of the 2001 Team playing after the loss of Bobbi Olson....this team lost Ray Smith (I know a bit of apples to oranges comparison but a heartbreaking loss to a young mans legit NBA dreams) and I hope their continued success also is to honor him.....very cool he was able to cut down the net last night too.

Barring an early exit I'm already happy with whatever else comes this year....yes, I'm greedy for a FF or more but already so damned proud of what this TEAM has accomplished through all the adversity.

Bear Down Team!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Basically, there are a lot of people picking us to come out of the West.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We are definitely the sexy pick. With no one going Gonzaga and the inconsistency of our #3 (FSU), the focus is going to be us quite a bit
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Other than a few minor things that come in the flow of any college basketball game, this team has looked dialed in. If that is the case, we may be peaking at the right time. I hope we put the rest of the NCAA on notice.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Not sure I know how to handle all of this media love - I normally prefer flying under the radar with a chip on our shoulder.

Good thing this team is so tough and has bought into the process.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

EastCoastCat wrote:Not sure I know how to handle all of this media love - I normally prefer flying under the radar with a chip on our shoulder.

Here's how I feel at this point. There is no flying under the radar at this point...the chips on the shoulder comes in moments like on Senior night for Kadeem, and Miller has a memory like none other. (at this point the mafioso references are spot on)

I see it as the media members looking at it as an "oh shit" kind of moment when they realize the draw and what Arizona is bringing to the table. Tip your hat to them now for jumping on the wagon before it's too late.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote:Not sure I know how to handle all of this media love - I normally prefer flying under the radar with a chip on our shoulder.

I default to that the pressure doesn't really get higher in the tourney. Every team plays with a bullseye on their back in every game. The pressure of one and done is just too high. On or under the radar nationally pales in comparison to that.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Exactly. And it is impossible to ignore a 30-4 Arizona team knowing it missed Trier for more than half the season and just took out UCLA and Oregon in back-to-back days. I'm honestly surprised at the number of people who are picking Gonzaga to go to the final four. I get that this year's team is "different," but I firmly believe there is a reason a final four has eluded Few and it isn't Sean Miller's crap luck.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Moving forward, big factors for Arizona's success will be adjusting to the physicality and defensive challenging allowed by non-PAC officials, and having an answer for when Ristic can't impact the game positively. To me, this team seems like it's busting its seams to play real basketball, and has the flexibility it needs at the 5. What can't happen again is a game where neither Ristic nor Comanche show up and we have to try to win with Pinder.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I am pretty high on the Chief right now. I feel like he's gonna be a monster down the stretch coming off he bench along with Pinder.

Once Kobi hits his first jumper again (damn three ball rimmed out on Saturday) he'll be back. Just needs to hit a jumper.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

#4 in the final AP rankings.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Longhorned wrote:Moving forward, big factors for Arizona's success will be adjusting to the physicality and defensive challenging allowed by non-PAC officials, and having an answer for when Ristic can't impact the game positively. To me, this team seems like it's busting its seams to play real basketball, and has the flexibility it needs at the 5. What can't happen again is a game where neither Ristic nor Comanche show up and we have to try to win with Pinder.
Although I thought Miller was on crack for starting Pinder (but hey, it worked), it showed Miller's flexibility and understanding that it isn't Dusan or bust, or lets feel out how Dusan does here and yank him if he gets murdered. It will be important to be proactive with him, rather than reactive, given the gravity of knowing that even 1 point feeling things out could be what ends the season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Moving forward, big factors for Arizona's success will be adjusting to the physicality and defensive challenging allowed by non-PAC officials, and having an answer for when Ristic can't impact the game positively. To me, this team seems like it's busting its seams to play real basketball, and has the flexibility it needs at the 5. What can't happen again is a game where neither Ristic nor Comanche show up and we have to try to win with Pinder.
Although I thought Miller was on crack for starting Pinder (but hey, it worked), it showed Miller's flexibility and understanding that it isn't Dusan or bust, or lets feel out how Dusan does here and yank him if he gets murdered. It will be important to be proactive with him, rather than reactive, given the gravity of knowing that even 1 point feeling things out could be what ends the season.
It didn't do much, but if those early whistles on Keanu had been on Lauri, we would have lost that game.

Ultimately, it wasn't much, but it wasn't a failed experiment. It was just one that didn't necessarily help or hurt.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat wrote:#4 in the final AP rankings.
#1 in our hearts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
It didn't do much, but if those early whistles on Keanu had been on Lauri, we would have lost that game.

Ultimately, it wasn't much, but it wasn't a failed experiment. It was just one that didn't necessarily help or hurt.
Miller said as much in his presser yesterday. That no one is expendable, they all have a role to play to get the win, and if Pinder on Brookes for the first 5-7on each half doesn't let him get into rhythm. And is he has to eat some fouls, well it's less fouls on Lauri and more time Burned where Brooke can't hurt you.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Quick question. is the New Orleans team that is in the tournament the one that Pasternack coached and left? I thought I remember he was leaving them because thy wee dropping out of division 1 basketball?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Did he ever reveal what the exact strategy was behind that? I saw it as a better situation for switching off their screens. I've seen some other declarations by others, including: merely smaller lineup, to absorb inevitable fouls that would have taken Lauri/Dusan out the game, Dusan just not able to handle Oregon in general and keeping Chance fresh to be able to relieve at the 4 and 5 dependent on who is in foul trouble, using him to intentionally foul people (this one was wild), and a few others.

Reason I think it was for better switching was based on seeing what they did to us in Eugene and seeing how much Chance was switching on wings once he got in. He and Lauri both did a remarkable job at this, to me, the most understated reason for us taking home that W.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:Quick question. is the New Orleans team that is in the tournament the one that Pasternack coached and left? I thought I remember he was leaving them because thy wee dropping out of division 1 basketball?
Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pasternack" target="_blank
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

At this point, with all the metrics, what good is an AP poll?
Bangkok Wildcat

What an incredible week.....PAC 12 Co-Champs, PAC 12 Tourney Champs, Revenge on UCLA, GREAT Timeout and a F U to Alford as well as redemption for losing on Senior Night for Kadeem, Alonzo gets MOP after his incredibly challenging year, Revenge on Oregon and a 5 star stud Akot committed for 2018.

Has there been a better week at this time of year in recent UA hoops history?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:
At this point, with all the metrics, what good is an AP poll?
As you know, the preseason AP poll may be the best predictor of success, and subsequent AP polls have less value. As for the final pre-tourney AP poll, that could be useful for Arizona fans under the category "encouraging" is that human beings like us, even if computers don't.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:What an incredible week.....PAC 12 Co-Champs, PAC 12 Tourney Champs, Revenge on UCLA, GREAT Timeout and a F U to Alford as well as redemption for losing on Senior Night for Kadeem, Alonzo gets MOP after his incredibly challenging year, Revenge on Oregon and a 5 star stud Akot committed for 2018.

That was a weekend for the record books. TShirt worthy, anyone find one?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Jefe wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:What an incredible week.....PAC 12 Co-Champs, PAC 12 Tourney Champs, Revenge on UCLA, GREAT Timeout and a F U to Alford as well as redemption for losing on Senior Night for Kadeem, Alonzo gets MOP after his incredibly challenging year, Revenge on Oregon and a 5 star stud Akot committed for 2018.

That was a weekend for the record books. TShirt worthy, anyone find one?

https://lebowskifest.com/shop/shut-the-fuck-up-donny
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Bangkok Wildcat

The Dude Abides :-)
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

I am absolutely riding the wave of optimism here. the path to a Final Four and a title has been paved by the committed for this team. They sat down after seeing the amazing P12 tourney run and thought: how can we rig this thing so Arizona is guaranteed to win it? well we have:

high seed
no wisconsin
familiar opponents
every game in P12 country in air conditioned arenas
Championship game played in Glendale, AZ
20th anniversary of the "Cool Cats"
also the offense is clicking and there are no injuries or off court trouble. Im convinced that the team plays chess and rehearses Shakespeare for fun in their off time

Book it AZ 90, UCLA 83
Congrats Coach Miller on your first Championship!!! :D
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

RiseAndFire wrote:I am absolutely riding the wave of optimism here. the path to a Final Four and a title has been paved by the committed for this team. They sat down after seeing the amazing P12 tourney run and thought: how can we rig this thing so Arizona is guaranteed to win it? well we have:

high seed
no wisconsin
familiar opponents
also the offense is clicking and there are no injuries or off court trouble. Im convinced that the team plays chess and rehearses Shakespeare for fun in their off time

Book it AZ 90, UCLA 83
I think this is the first reverse jinx I've seen on this site where the poster is quite obviously hoping to jinx us, instead of the other way around. You are a transparent troll
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

time to bring the ban hammer.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

☝️ ban
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It isn't a jinx if you don't feel it in your heart.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

pokinmik wrote:☝️ ban
Whoa!!! How did you get an emoji on here?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RiseAndFire wrote:I am absolutely riding the wave of optimism here. the path to a Final Four and a title has been paved by the committed for this team. They sat down after seeing the amazing P12 tourney run and thought: how can we rig this thing so Arizona is guaranteed to win it? well we have:

high seed
no wisconsin
familiar opponents

Book it AZ 90, UCLA 83
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

GFY
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
prh

Post by prh »

+1 for ban hammer time
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It is amazing they have us playing in all air conditioned arenas.... how did we get so lucky?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

By the time we go to bed tonight, 2016-2017 Arizona Basketball could well be over.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ban. NOW
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Alieberman wrote:It is amazing they have us playing in all air conditioned arenas.... how did we get so lucky?
You think that's lucky?? I hear in the East region they get space heaters around the court since all the games are played outside. Way better than air conditioning
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

Of course my flight boards at 7pm, basically tip-off.

Hopefully it's just a crushing victory and I won't miss much.

I guess a job interview is a little more important than the first round game, maybe. The guy interviewing my graduated from North Dakota State, so maybe I can use that to my advantage
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

baconus66 wrote:Of course my flight boards at 7pm, basically tip-off.

Hopefully it's just a crushing victory and I won't miss much.

I guess a job interview is a little more important than the first round game, maybe. The guy interviewing my graduated from North Dakota State, so maybe I can use that to my advantage
Good luck Baconus!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thumbs up dude! Good Luck
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

lol I'm partly kidding but mostly serious. and I don't believe in Jinxes, rally-breasts or anything like that.
just calling my shot before the tourney starts - every single bracket I have has Arizona winning it all in Glendale, just like everyone here except catgrad

I still believe any coach so slavishly focused on defense, and just one type of defense, is foolish and could have 3 FF and a ring by now with a more flexible approach. However this team has so much firepower that it doesn't matter. I didn't think it was possible but I'm convinced after Vegas

Team chemistry is at an all time high too. Miller cements his legacy this year

and also (being 100% serious): congrats CST on your growing family and prayers for a smooth quick delivery today.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

CalStateTempe wrote:
pokinmik wrote:☝️ ban
Whoa!!! How did you get an emoji on here?
Posted from my phone and I guess that emoji slipped by somehow haha.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Final regular season Kenpom:

Kenpom #21 (21.69) | AdjO: #29 (116.4) | AdjD: 27 (94. 7)
After Colorado

Kenpom: #21 (+21.96) | AdjO #27 (117.1) | AdjD #30 (95.2)
After UCLA

Kenpom: #21 (+22.54) | AdjO #24 (117.2) | AdjD #28 (94.6)
After Round of 64: North Dakota

Kenpom: #19 (+22.64) | AdjO: #18 (118.1) | AdjD: #32 (95.4)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Final regular season Kenpom:

Kenpom #21 (21.69) | AdjO: #29 (116.4) | AdjD: 27 (94. 7)
After Colorado

Kenpom: #21 (+21.96) | AdjO #27 (117.1) | AdjD #30 (95.2)
After UCLA

Kenpom: #21 (+22.54) | AdjO #24 (117.2) | AdjD #28 (94.6)
After Round of 64: North Dakota

Kenpom: #19 (+22.64) | AdjO: #18 (118.1) | AdjD: #32 (95.4)
Top 20 now! Isn't that the magic number? We finally cross the NC threshold.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thought it was top 20 in both.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:Thought it was top 20 in both.

Yep
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Thought it was top 20 in both.
Yep
Damn. Never mind, we're doomed.