Xavier analysis

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Xavier analysis

Post by gumby »

ChooChooCat wrote:We handled the zone pretty well against UCLA and Oregon when they went to it in the conference tourney. We'll have a whole 5 days of practicing against it, so fingers crossed.
Not you, Rawle.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Curious, does Ristic start or do we go small and start Pinder or maybe PJC and run 4 guards. Xavier seems to go small at the start and then bring in two bigs off the bench. Don't want anymore slow starts and with Rawle potentially being limited and going against a zone we may need another shooter on the floor.

Must win Thursday before we can worry about presses and things like that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

It will be a slow start if Pinder starts. You can't build up a nice lead when you only play 4 on 5 on offense.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Great analysis, quick question, I notice they won the boards against a bigger team do you think that is a product of effort or does playing zone make that a higher probability?

Obviously different zones mean different positions for the post players...

I am not afraid of the zone, yes we have started slow against it every-time but as a general rule we have beat it as much (or more) than we have beat man-to-man...I don't see zone as the deal-breaker everyone else does because we have probably seen more of it than anyone due to our bad reputation with it...

And unless this is a three-magegeddon I trust our defense to stop the rain of threes...

Stop Bluiett they score half as much and we all know what Kadeem is capable of....
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

azcat49 wrote:Curious, does Ristic start or do we go small and start Pinder or maybe PJC and run 4 guards. Xavier seems to go small at the start and then bring in two bigs off the bench. Don't want anymore slow starts and with Rawle potentially being limited and going against a zone we may need another shooter on the floor.

I honestly think the ONLY reason Miller started Pinder against Oregon was to absorb Dillon Brooks fouls and slow his "start of game" engine...as Brooks goes, go the DUcks...Miller said as much it was a "I need you to fall on the foul sword for the team Pinder" moment...(which demonstrates how good Miller has become)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Curious, does Ristic start or do we go small and start Pinder or maybe PJC and run 4 guards. Xavier seems to go small at the start and then bring in two bigs off the bench. Don't want anymore slow starts and with Rawle potentially being limited and going against a zone we may need another shooter on the floor.

I wouldn't. Pinder isn't offensive help vs a zone. If anything, Pinder really hurts vs a zone. Their main offensive firepower is guard based, so Pinder isn't an immediate defensive cover like vs Oregon.

Long story short, I'd play this one conventionally.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thinking about Xavier, they have played really well. they took out pretty good Maryland team by 11 and then manhandled FSU. They seem to have settled in after losing their PG and playing like Michigan in that they are loose and are just letting it fly.

Hoping the travel and the fact we should have a crowd advantage works in our favor.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If we can't beat 11-seed Xavier in the 3rd round, then we should just be pleased with our Sweet 16 accomplishment because never in history has a national champion lost in the tourney.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

azgreg wrote:
He thinks Xavier is faster than us????

I can almost promise Bluiett will have the worst game of his career against us...you know what Kadeem will do to him,...these guys have not watched much UA basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:If we can't beat 11-seed Xavier in the 3rd round, then we should just be pleased with our Sweet 16 accomplishment because never in history has a national champion lost in the tourney.
You've got to believe. Sure, it's not 1984 now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

You know, last game and all tournament Oregon game, Kadeem was getting killed defensively. Now we've all been told time and time again of how great of a defender his is, our lockdown defender, but he's been getting the blow by left and right. He's got to do a much better job and keep his man in front of him. His hand probably not helping the cause either.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

They run a lot of zone. If I remember 2015, they ran the 1-3-1, my favorite zone, but that can be really problematic if a team hits corner threes. I have not seen a lot of them, but what I caught against FSU seemed less like a 1-3-1 than a regular 2-3 zone. We struggled mightily against zones earlier in the year, but with PJC's return and return of shooting touch, and Zo's ability to get in the lane against most configurations, the zone doesn't worry me as much. I like the opportunity to get on the boards...we are definitely a streak rebounding team, capable of dominating, but able to lose touch with its importance (UCLA?) from time to time. The zone will get us some opportunities on the O glass, and we have to convert.

But more than anything, we have to do exactly what we have done for the last few weeks...get to the rim, then get to the rim, then get to the rim. Open 3's are fine, especially against a zone, but the ball has to end up in the paint the majority of the time.

X had their struggles, and losing a major player will do that. But the biggest hit to a mid-season injury might be the adapting period. They have adapted. They are confident. They just made FSU look silly, though, to be honest, FSU is pretty good at making themselves look silly from time to time. But they are a dangerous team, period. I know fans look ahead...it's hard not to as a 2 vs an 11, and every single fan base does the same. But there is zero to less than zero chance that Sean Miller is not prepared for Xavier. The players rarely do the look ahead thing...that's more a fan thing in the tourney. So anyone worried or counting on that being a factor should stop. Fact is they are not playing like an 11 seed, and for a half, we looked less than OK against a team that lost to UT-Arlington.

But I like the matchup. I like that they do not have answers for us in the paint. We have struggled most notably against teams with a big big...established big man. We have wings for days. We can play slow or fast, and though our pace is in the bottom third, I would guess that has changed as warranted later in the season with Zo, as we seem to be looking for early offense, especially against zone teams. If I hang my hat on anything, it is that we have 3 legit bigs to throw their way, and Lauri causes problems. I think we win. We SHOULD win. Even X fans have to know that. But that doesn't mean we do.

Though we have demonstrated an ability to handle our business all year. 4 losses, all to teams still playing, two without Zo, one without PJC and Zo, and the other two avenged. We have handled our business. That needs to continue.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Florida State tried to beat the zone by jacking 3's. They went 4-21 (19%). Ball game!!!! Xavier shot 11-17 from 3pt land (64.7%). Ball game!!!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Crap, it's only Wednesday afternoon my time and I can't wait for this game....ughhhh. Let's go Cats! We have to win this one....
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Xavier fans are likely happy with how their team has advanced and are probably pointing to intangibles as the reason why they could/should win (ie finally beating Miller; team of destiny; gelling at the right time; etc.).

A few things to note. One, Arizona is not FSU nor Maryland, and toe to toe is better at nearly every position on the floor and on the bench. Second, Arizona has faced zone nearly every game this season at one point or another and has lost a total of 4 games, and I can't really think of the zone being the reason Arizona lost any of those games--especially with the roster that it has now. I disagree, as I have all year, that Arizona "struggles mightily" against the zone. There isn't a team out there that plays "exceptional" against a good zone. That is the purpose of the zone, to slow down the opposing from using shots at the rim--to force them to shoot from perimiter and to protect either marginal defensive players or those prone to foul problems. It is also a way to "rest" on defense if unmanned against an opponent. I can't think of a team in the nation that runs a motion offense that looks great against a zone. Furthermore anyone stating that a team with 2 losses in 2017, a power 5 regular season and tourney championship holding a 2 seed, "struggles mightily" with the zone should not be taken seriously.

Does Arizona do better against a man 2 man? Sure. Do things look less fluid against a zone? Sure. But this whole struggling thing is ridiculous, and we are now talking about a team in the Sweet 16 struggling...ugh...pisses me off.

Frankly, I'd be more worried about Arizona acknowledging what defense is being played and implementing the offensive sets that are planned for the various defenses that will be thrown at them from possession to possession. Frankly, I have faith that Miller and crew will handle this fine.

The way Arizona has lost is by not rebounding (uCla and to some extent Butler), by having foul issues and a lack of personnel against quality teams (Butler, Zags) and by a team having extremely hot shooting from the arc, while also missing "gimmies". Arizona does need to attack the interior of Xavier, no matter the defense that it is in. Outside shots should be taken when open, as Arizona is actually an adept team from the outside with multiple players able to hit from long range (no, not you Pinder).

Watching the St. Mary's first half, Arizona played majority of the first half like some other team that we haven't watched play basketball this year. You saw it, and so did I. Once Arizona played the way it has all season, and Rawle went back into the game, Arizona closed on a 53-36 run.

To summarize: Get in the paint. Score. If you don't score immediately, rebound and get back to the rim.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm not even looking for Arizona to shoot well outside. And Trier won't have paths to the rim, so there's no point forcing that. Get the ball to Lauri or Chance inside the zone at the top of the key and let them facilitate. Most importantly, grab the offensive boards on our copious misses. Rebounding is our biggest advantage while Xavier is zoning. Other than that, take care of the ball.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:I'm not even looking for Arizona to shoot well outside. And Trier won't have paths to the rim, so there's no point forcing that. Get the ball to Lauri or Chance inside the zone at the top of the key and let them facilitate. Most importantly, grab the offensive boards on our copious misses. Rebounding is our biggest advantage while Xavier is zoning. Other than that, take care of the ball.

I just want Allonzo to be aggressive. He wasn't in the 1st half of St. Mary's which was extremely frustrating to me.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Trier air balled a shot in the first half and badly missed some others. Clearly the pressure he put on himself to play well got to him.

If "being aggressive" is what cures that, sure - whatever it takes.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

His 14 second half points pretty much cured that.
Gimino

Post by Gimino »

Talked to Steve Lavin today ... well, mostly I listened. I managed to get in three questions in a 17-minute phone interview. Lavin called the Xavier games last week and has pretty good insight here (and, as an aside, all the quotes in the story are the result of ONE question).

Lavin: Beware Xavier's 'Robin Hood amubush
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gimino wrote:Talked to Steve Lavin today ... well, mostly I listened. I managed to get in three questions in a 17-minute phone interview. Lavin called the Xavier games last week and has pretty good insight here (and, as an aside, all the quotes in the story are the result of ONE question).

Great stuff AG. Love the picture of Lute and Lavin. You could always tell Lute liked him, perhaps even not putting his best effort forward in the PAC tourney game v. UCLA Lavin's last season. Lute of course hated the PAC tourney and wanted to rest the team.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Odogg, from their board.
Folks...hold on to your kiesters.

Arizona, like many of the Desert Raccoon's teams that we've seen for years... struggle against a zone defense. Now CMack has more than one type of zone at his disposal. This X team can defend man to man, but they play a super 1-3-1 and 2-3. Florida State had no clue against it and 'Zona sucks vs errrr..Zonas. (Sorry)

Expect to see ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZone all night long.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:Odogg, from their board.

Arizona, like many of the Desert Raccoon's teams that we've seen for years... struggle against a zone defense. Now CMack has more than one type of zone at his disposal. This X team can defend man to man, but they play a super 1-3-1 and 2-3. Florida State had no clue against it and 'Zona sucks vs errrr..Zonas. (Sorry)

Dang, I would never have expected them to play zone. What are the odds?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Gimino wrote:Talked to Steve Lavin today ... well, mostly I listened. I managed to get in three questions in a 17-minute phone interview. Lavin called the Xavier games last week and has pretty good insight here (and, as an aside, all the quotes in the story are the result of ONE question).

I fucking HATE when Steve Lavin calls our games there is a subtle diss he throws at us during the whole game...I am convinced he is a closet UA hater, even this article is mostly hyperbole and what the fuck is a "Robin Hood Ambush" in basketball???
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This team is 32-4 and has seen plenty of Zzzzzzzzone.

They have to play us too.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

azgreg wrote:Odogg, from their board.

I am pretty much convinced that the "Arizona struggles against the zone" is Sean Millers fake news story that he planted himself...he has said more than once they practice against the zone (and practice using the zone) every week...90% of the teams we have played and BEAT have played the zone against us...

Arizona Struggles against the Zone= Arizona lulls you into believing that they stutter against the zone while beating you defensively and turning that into points.

Bring your fucking zone and a sack lunch because you're gonna want something to cheer you up after the game.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We certain can lose tomorrow. But from what I know about Xavier it is going to take them having a 50+% shooting kinda day while hitting a fair amount of 3s.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Arizona needs to kill it on the boards and defend like no tomorrow. That way they can still win in spite of the whole "Arizona hasn't scored in over four minutes!" conundrum, and Trevon Bluiett going for 34 points.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Where is a good place to see the game in Chicago, given that i don't know the TV status at the B&B i'll be at. I'm in the Lincoln Park area, closer to Oz park or square or whatever it called.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

https://athlonsports.com/college-basket ... ction-2017" target="_blank
West Region: No. 11 Xavier Musketeers (23-13) vs. No. 2 Arizona Wildcats (32-4)

When: 10:09 p.m. ET (Thursday)
Where: SAP Center (San Jose, Calif.)
TV: TBS
Line: Arizona -7.5

Keys for Xavier

Chris Mack isn't married to any one defensive strategy, instead employing man-to-man or 1-3-1 zone depending on the situation. Zone defenses have given Arizona trouble this season, in particular the trapping 1-3-1. UCLA used the look to stymie the Wildcats in a Bruins win at McKale Center last month, and Arizona can expect plenty of the look on Thursday.

Xavier's 1-3-1 forces opponents into rushed 3-point attempts. Nearly 40 percent of all field-goal attempts taken against the Musketeers are from deep, per KenPom.com, but shots drop only 33 percent of the time.

Arizona's had success shooting from long range this season, connecting on better than 39 percent, but the Wildcats have to effectively establish their dribble-drive offense to free up shooters. If Xavier can clog lanes of penetration and contest shots effectively, the Musketeers will control tempo – and controlling tempo is critical in this matchup.

Keys for Arizona
Arizona’s play on the glass has been critical this season. Last Saturday's win over Saint Mary's offered a snapshot of the full campaign, as the Gaels led when they enjoyed a commanding edge on the boards. As the Wildcats erased that advantage, so too went Saint Mary's lead.

Arizona's last loss came in February against UCLA in a game the Bruins owned on the boards. In particular, UCLA capitalized on extra looks off the offensive glass. The Wildcats face a Xavier team with similar ability to own the boards.

Xavier ranks No. 29 nationally in offensive rebound percentage, making effective use of its collective size. Mack's lineup is actually the eighth tallest in all of college basketball. Of the few bigger, one is Arizona.

Miller needs aggressive – and foul-free – play out of Dusan Ristic, Keanu Pinder and Chance Comanche. The rotation of big men all proved effective in Arizona's comeback vs. Saint Mary's, and will serve similarly critical roles against Xavier.

Final Analysis

Mack vs. Miller is among the more intriguing coaching chess matches of the Sweet 16 slate. The two know each other well, and not surprisingly, they employ similar styles. Both also have wing players who can take over a high-profile game like this one in Trevon Bluiett for Xavier and Allonzo Trier for Arizona.

While 7-foot stretch-four Lauri Markkanen might seem like the x-factor for Arizona, Kadeem Allen's defensive presence could make the difference for the Wildcats – and not necessarily by matching up with Bluiett. JP Macura is often the Musketeers’ secondary scoring option who can make opponents pay for focusing too heavily on Bluiett.

Arizona's perimeter defense on Macura and hot-shooting Malcolm Bernard could prove pivotal – especially if the Wildcats can keep Xavier off the boards effectively.

Prediction: Arizona 76, Xavier 68
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RichardCranium wrote:Where is a good place to see the game in Chicago, given that i don't know the TV status at the B&B i'll be at. I'm in the Lincoln Park area, closer to Oz park or square or whatever it called.
Hotel Lincoln?

Anyway, looks like the answer for the Xavier game is Mother Hubbard's, which is near enough to you at River North:

http://www.motherhubbardschicago.com/" target="_blank

Windy City Cats has the answers to all your questions about where to view the game with your fellow alumns:

https://www.facebook.com/WindyCityCats/" target="_blank
The Sweet 16 Tips over Thursday night as the Cats look to get one step closer to a trip home for the Final Four! Join us at Mother Hubbard's to watch the game and be surrounded by Wildcats! **Please arrive early if you want a table**
https://www.facebook.com/events/1907939 ... null%22%7D" target="_blank
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

So looking at the Xavier v FSU game and interesting stat jumped off the page...

Florida State played 6 guys for a total of 58 minutes between them who did not get even one rebound, defensive OR offensive...the one player who had 12 of the teams 33 TOTAL rebounds (J.Isaac) fouled out and he is not the center(M.Ojo who inly had 2 rebounds) their tallest player played only 15 minutes of the entire game...

I've heard a lot of talk about the size and athleticism of FSU and how Xavier dismantled them, but the reality seems to be some very bad coaching on Floridas end...how in hell do you expect to get any kind of production when you rotate that many players (they played ALL 13 players with an average ranging from 4 minutes to 34 the mid mark seems to be about 10-15 minutes)...

How do you play six players and average of 12 minutes who get no rebounds? Five of their guys averaged 10 minutes apiece and got no rebounds 1 point between all of them (the one point was a starter who played 20 minutes)

They obviously were not playing defense because X scored 91 points on them...

Florida State is EXACTLY what was wrong with the ACC, completely over-rated and pretty worthless under the test...

After looking at the game stats I don't think Xavier was so much better, I think FSU was so much worse...absolutely over rated and over seeded because they played where they did.

Arizona is no FSU...you don't pull down a rebound or two you are not getting 10 minutes on this squad...
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

NYCat wrote:
Thanks NYCat...Xavier has their superstitions and I'll counter from Buddha-land....was at the gym this morning wearing my Arizona gear and watching a bad-ass special documentary in the Israeli attack on the Syrian nuclear reactor being built in 2007....damn, I'd never heard of this before....knew about the attack on the Iraqi one back in 1981 but damn, how'd I miss this one??? I digress...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Orchard

Anyways, was a great show on the incredible Israeli Special Forces, etc...and when their Air Force successfully bombed the hell out of that reactor in 2007, do you know what their one word code was for success? 'ARIZONA '......no kidding! Gave me chills when I heard that.

So, I'm calling 'ARIZONA ' now!!! BTFD and let's beat Xavier :-).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://ncaa-basketball-teams.pointafter ... -11-Xavier" target="_blank
2 Arizona vs. 11 Xavier
Bing Predicts winner: Arizona (83 percent)

Region: West
Opening line: ARI -7.5
Tipoff time: 10:09 p.m. EST (Thursday)

In three of the last six years, Sean Miller has taken Arizona to the Elite Eight. To make his fourth trip, he'll have to get through his old program — the upstart Xavier Musketeers.

The Wildcats are a balanced bunch, with four players averaging over 10 points and five rebounds per game. Arizona survived a scare against Saint Mary's in the second round by outscoring the Gaels 40-30 in the second half. Xavier, meanwhile, scored back-to-back blowout upsets — beating No. 6 Maryland, 76-65, followed by a 91-66 blowout of Florida State.

Xavier grabbed a combined 13 more rebounds than its opponents in those two games, and the Musketeers shot a blistering 11-for-17 against Florida State. The keys to keeping Xavier's offense running smoothly are guards J.P. Macura and Trevon Bluiett. Bluiett scored 50 points combined in the first two games, while Macura had only two total turnovers.

While both teams rank in the top 20 in rebound margin — Arizona is 16th while Xavier is 19th — the Wildcats have the size advantage. No rotation player for Xavier stands taller than 6-foot-9, while Arizona has three players — Chance Comanche, Lauri Markkanen and Dusan Ristic — listed at 6-foot-11 or taller. If the Wildcats can hold Xavier off the glass, then the Musketeers will struggle to keep pace. Arizona is a young team, but one that plays with poise, and its pieces gel together nicely. Though the Musketeers had perhaps the most impressive opening weekend of the 16 teams remaining, their run should end in the regional semifinals.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:http://ncaa-basketball-teams.pointafter ... -11-Xavier
2 Arizona vs. 11 Xavier
Bing Predicts winner: Arizona (83 percent)

Region: West
Opening line: ARI -7.5
Tipoff time: 10:09 p.m. EST (Thursday)

In three of the last six years, Sean Miller has taken Arizona to the Elite Eight. To make his fourth trip, he'll have to get through his old program — the upstart Xavier Musketeers.

The Wildcats are a balanced bunch, with four players averaging over 10 points and five rebounds per game. Arizona survived a scare against Saint Mary's in the second round by outscoring the Gaels 40-30 in the second half. Xavier, meanwhile, scored back-to-back blowout upsets — beating No. 6 Maryland, 76-65, followed by a 91-66 blowout of Florida State.

Xavier grabbed a combined 13 more rebounds than its opponents in those two games, and the Musketeers shot a blistering 11-for-17 against Florida State. The keys to keeping Xavier's offense running smoothly are guards J.P. Macura and Trevon Bluiett. Bluiett scored 50 points combined in the first two games, while Macura had only two total turnovers.

While both teams rank in the top 20 in rebound margin — Arizona is 16th while Xavier is 19th — the Wildcats have the size advantage. No rotation player for Xavier stands taller than 6-foot-9, while Arizona has three players — Chance Comanche, Lauri Markkanen and Dusan Ristic — listed at 6-foot-11 or taller. If the Wildcats can hold Xavier off the glass, then the Musketeers will struggle to keep pace. Arizona is a young team, but one that plays with poise, and its pieces gel together nicely. Though the Musketeers had perhaps the most impressive opening weekend of the 16 teams remaining, their run should end in the regional semifinals.

blowout upsets — beating No. 6 Maryland, 76-65,

Wouldn't necessarily call a single digit win a blowout.

the upstart Xavier Musketeers

15 straight NCAA appearances since 2001 is upstart?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So was zone the reason this time around, or was there something else?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:So was zone the reason this time around, or was there something else?
My ranking system:

1. Missing makeable shots.
2. Poor job at cutting off penetration.
3. Subbing too late.

Overarching issue: we're cursed.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:So was zone the reason this time around, or was there something else?
My ranking system:

3. Subbing too late.

Lol it really does feel like we are cursed.

It's been mentioned dozens of times since last night, but how the fuckk did X slip screens to the basket wide open all night? Those are easy shots for an offensive player to make too. Pretty much a guaranteed dunk, layup, or foul when the offensive player has that much momentum and a pretty wide open path to the rim.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pokinmik wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
My ranking system:

3. Subbing too late.

Lol it really does feel like we are cursed.

It's been mentioned dozens of times since last night, but how the fuckk did X slip screens to the basket wide open all night? Those are easy shots for an offensive player to make too. Pretty much a guaranteed dunk, layup, or foul when the offensive player has that much momentum and a pretty wide open path to the rim.
Slips and curl cuts were major problems last night. Part of it is that Dusan played big minutes and he will never be a particularly mobile guy who can cover space. Our help D was not good last night either. You need someone coming from the weak side to help on a slip, and our help was frequently a step late.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Read an article this morning (forgot the source) that Xavier had Markannan being "weak" or "soft" on defense, and wanted to exploit that. Ristic's lack of mobility is of course well known, but 2 of Ristic's fouls were due to Trier being blown by on defense.