Spaceman Spiff

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
The top four Pac teams are legit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I could see Stanford finishing higher. I’m also not sold on this Oregon team. They lost everybody.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:I could see Stanford finishing higher. I’m also not sold on this Oregon team. They lost everybody.
Oregon pays their players more than Stanford though
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:An Oregon beat writer picked Oregon #1, and Arizona #4.
Wait seriously? Must be banking on USC and Arizona getting dicked by the NCAA before the season starts.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Media day is on y'all.

USC up now. Arizona up...later.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Watch on periscope here.

https://www.pscp.tv/ZonaZealots/1jMKgPREMzXGL" target="_blank

Enfield sounds like a jackass - thank God for Miller.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Despite investigation, Arizona Wildcats picked to win Pac-12 basketball title

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Oct 12, 2017 Updated 2 hrs ago

SAN FRANCISCO — Despite the federal allegations and potential NCAA issues hanging over their heads, the Wildcats were still picked to win the Pac-12 basketball championship this season.

In a vote of media members who regularly cover the league, the Wildcats picked up 22 of 23 first-place votes in the predictions announced Thursday morning, in advance of the conference's annual preseason media day.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... op-story-1" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There's no one in this league with the size and speed to really check Ayton. If he keeps getting better throughout the season, we should be scary by March. Get the freshmen minutes so our bench gets deeper, especially BR and EA. Get Rawle healthy. Get PJC to limit TOs and make smart decisions consistently. This team can win a title. It's obvious.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Despite investigation, Arizona Wildcats picked to win Pac-12 basketball title

SAN FRANCISCO — Despite the federal allegations and potential NCAA issues hanging over their heads, the Wildcats were still picked to win the Pac-12 basketball championship this season.

In a vote of media members who regularly cover the league, the Wildcats picked up 22 of 23 first-place votes in the predictions announced Thursday morning, in advance of the conference's annual preseason media day.

Why include the allegations? Headlines and articles like that are why I roll my eyes at media coverage. There's zero actual impact on the season at this point, unless you think Book Richardson was the straw that stirs our drink.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Get PJC to limit TOs and make smart decisions consistently.
That's not a concern. He had a more than 3:1 A:TO last year, up from 2.4 the year prior.

Get PJC improve his offense (take more shots from three, improve his two point jumper %, and/or improve his finishing % at the rim)... get PJC to stay healthy and strong enough to play 1,200min... get PJC to be more of a vocal leader. Those are my asks.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
HiCat wrote:Despite investigation, Arizona Wildcats picked to win Pac-12 basketball title

Why include the allegations? Headlines and articles like that are why I roll my eyes at media coverage. There's zero actual impact on the season at this point, unless you think Book Richardson was the straw that stirs our drink.
Yeah I recoiled a bit but the allegations crossed my mind when I saw the list. There is the "existing unknown player" to deal with.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah I recoiled a bit but the allegations crossed my mind when I saw the list. There is the "existing unknown player" to deal with.
There is also providing/finding proof of said existing unknown player to deal with first.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Arizona on here: https://www.pscp.tv/ZonaZealots/1zqKVRdOgMpKB" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There is also providing/finding proof of said existing unknown player to deal with first.
Exactly. To reach that point, you need:

1. The statement to be true.
2. Locate the person.
3. Corroborate that statement about that person.

Really, you can't say any of that, and I would figure players aren't lining up to self-report even if it is true.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

The report says player 7 and 8 but you can bet Uofa and the ncaa know who they are.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CatHoops wrote:The report says player 7 and 8 but you can bet Uofa and the ncaa know who they are.
Those aren't the players of concern because there was no indication that they received money, just that they would be directed to the sports management agency.

ANYWAYS

Can we get this year's discussion back to stuff not relating to the investigation? There's a whole thread for that.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Yes sir. April Texas Bound
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Beachcat97 wrote:There's no one in this league with the size and speed to really check Ayton. If he keeps getting better throughout the season, we should be scary by March. Get the freshmen minutes so our bench gets deeper, especially BR and EA. Get Rawle healthy. Get PJC to limit TOs and make smart decisions consistently. This team can win a title. It's obvious.
Not if you go ask Michael Miller over at Bruin Zone - he doubts anyone in the conference, including Ayton, will be able to check Cody Riley.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:There's no one in this league with the size and speed to really check Ayton. If he keeps getting better throughout the season, we should be scary by March. Get the freshmen minutes so our bench gets deeper, especially BR and EA. Get Rawle healthy. Get PJC to limit TOs and make smart decisions consistently. This team can win a title. It's obvious.
Not if you go ask Michael Miller over at Bruin Zone - he doubts anyone in the conference, including Ayton, will be able to check Cody Riley.
Please be respectful and say RIP when you mention Cody Riley.

https://youtu.be/trOc3NDO148" target="_blank
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

Go check out this post:

http://www.bruinzone.com/b12/messages/2033.shtml" target="_blank

He is already saying that Riley is going to lay out Trier IF he gets by a defender. Jajajajajaja
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:

Go check out this post:

He is already saying that Riley is going to lay out Trier IF he gets by a defender. Jajajajajaja
I actually saw a few Riley games when watching Bagley at Sierra Canyon.

Arizona comparison: Sidiki Johnson. He has the same sort of strong, slighly undersized build combined with a game that is good in a playground setting. When he has to demonstrate post or perimeter skill, maybe not so much. Needs to develop.

That post is funny. Like being able to take a hard foul on someone driving is something that separates him. Heck, I could go out there and hammer Trier in the air. It's nice to have an enforcer, but the Mason comparison is nuts. Mason may have had the best handle of any PF ever and had exceptional post footwork. Riley has neither.

Edit: I saw him make 2 jumpers one time, so he might be Anthony Mason (NBA All Star). :lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote: Go check out this post:

Arizona comparison: Sidiki Johnson. He has the same sort of strong, slighly undersized build combined with a game that is good in a playground setting. When he has to demonstrate post or perimeter skill, maybe not so much. Needs to develop.

That post is funny. Like being able to take a hard foul on someone driving is something that separates him. Heck, I could go out there and hammer Trier in the air. It's nice to have an enforcer, but the Mason comparison is nuts. Mason may have had the best handle of any PF ever and had exceptional post footwork. Riley has neither.

Edit: I saw him make 2 jumpers one time, so he might be Anthony Mason (NBA All Star). :lol:
It's not just Cody Riley guys... http://www.bruinzone.com/b12/messages/1985.shtml" target="_blank

Jalen Hill is as good of a midrange shooter as Tom Welsh (who led UCLA in 2pt jumpers the last three years and FT% last year). He's also a better athlete than Ike Anigbogu (who played 13min/g and was drafted solely on his physical gifts).
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote: Go check out this post:

It's not just Cody Riley guys... http://www.bruinzone.com/b12/messages/1985.shtml" target="_blank

Jalen Hill is as good of a midrange shooter as Tom Welsh (who led UCLA in 2pt jumpers the last three years and FT% last year). He's also a better athlete than Ike Anigbogu (who played 13min/g and was drafted solely on his physical gifts).
I saw that one about Anigbogu and was floored with the level of stupidity involved.

However, then I kept reading posts from that Michael Miller and realized this guy lives in a world full of delusion.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

It's pure entertainment, IMO.

I just go over there and look for posts made by this Michael Miller. It's a comic relief, really.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Ok one more:

"As I said, I think the class will be Quinerly, Singelton, Bernard, Bagley and Reid." -same poster.

2/5 and one had already committed to UCLA hahaha. They treat this guy like a prophet.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Does anyone know if Red/Blue is on TV?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/schedule ... hedule=388" target="_blank

University of Arizona Logo
Oct 20 (Fri) 7:00 PM MST PAC-12 NETWORKS
vs McDonald's Red-Blue Game
Tucson, Ariz.

Watch
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We're going to roll through the OOC schedule and then get our all-league starter back for all or most of the Pac schedule. Good times ahead.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:We're going to roll through the OOC schedule and then get our all-league starter back for all or most of the Pac schedule. Good times ahead.
We should have some tough games between the schools we host (Texas A&M and Alabama) and the (potential) three games in Atlantis (NC State, SMU/UNI, Nova/Purdue).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We're going to roll through the OOC schedule and then get our all-league starter back for all or most of the Pac schedule. Good times ahead.
We should have some tough games between the schools we host (Texas A&M and Alabama) and the (potential) three games in Atlantis (NC State, SMU/UNI, Nova/Purdue).
We're not losing at home in the OOC schedule. The Atlantis games will be interesting.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Texas A&M is "neutral" in Talking Stick Resort Arena
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
A&M is legit this year. That'll be a nice early season test.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The bottom of the Pac is dreadful. Very little talent and very little depth. Oregon lost an awful lot. Regardless of how much new talent arrives, it's gonna takes some time for them to gel. Stanford is under the radar and will surprise. And ASU should benefit from such a weak bottom half of the conference. They'll back their way into a decent spot.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Wha??? Cool.

When do tickets go on sale?

EDIT: Texas AM isn't part of the Atlantis games...Its Dec 5.

Boo, won't be able to go...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:The bottom of the Pac is dreadful. Very little talent and very little depth. Oregon lost an awful lot. Regardless of how much new talent arrives, it's gonna takes some time for them to gel. Stanford is under the radar and will surprise. And ASU should benefit from such a weak bottom half of the conference. They'll back their way into a decent spot.
I'm also not sold on USC yet. I know that roster is loaded, but we'll have to see whether those freshmen will make an immediate impact. Trojans should be solid, but I've seen some putting them in the top 10, which sounds crazy. I think 2nd through 5th in the Pac are wide open.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:The bottom of the Pac is dreadful. Very little talent and very little depth. Oregon lost an awful lot. Regardless of how much new talent arrives, it's gonna takes some time for them to gel. Stanford is under the radar and will surprise. And ASU should benefit from such a weak bottom half of the conference. They'll back their way into a decent spot.
I'm also not sold on USC yet. I know that roster is loaded, but we'll have to see whether those freshmen will make an immediate impact. Trojans should be solid, but I've seen some putting them in the top 10, which sounds crazy. I think 2nd through 5th in the Pac are wide open.
A&M is legit yet you aren't sold on USC? Did you watch any basketball after you got banned from here last year? Your takes are wildly emotional, and rarely rational.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
A&M is legit yet you aren't sold on USC? Did you watch any basketball after you got banned from here last year? Your takes are wildly emotional, and rarely rational.
Agreed. Went from rolling through OOC to A&M being legit and Atlantis being interesting. If you aren’t sold on USC, then who in all of YOUR reality do you fear in the PAC, assuming Rawle is 100% by then?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

USC is stacked. They have four guys who can play with the ball in their hands (McLaughlin, Melton, Matthews, Thornton), good perimeter defenders (McLaughlin, Melton, Matthews, Stewart), good outside shooters (McLaughlin, Stewart, Boatwright), some length at wing (Stewart, Aaron, O'Bannon), and two NBA caliber bigs (Boatwright, Metu). Their coaching is suspect and I wonder if the team chemistry holds with that many dudes trying to achieve individual goals in a single season. That's all you can bank on beyond just being better than a very talented and well rounded roster.

I like Trier, Alkins, and Ayton as game changers for us, as well as our coaching. That core three with the steady service of PJC and Ristic plus a bevy of young shooters gives me a lot of confidence. But USC's guard play and the two outstanding front court players will be a problem.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Look. I watched USC last year. They finished in the middle of a top-heavy Pac. They’re now a year older with some new impact players. I see the potential, but I’m just not yet convinced that Enfield can make a run at a Pac title. On paper, they’re the 2nd best team in the league. But would it surprise anyone to see Oregon finish ahead of SC? And Stanford has the best forward in the league.

Heading into last season, it was obvious that AZ, Oregon, and UCLA were the three best teams. The top three aren’t as clear this year. That’s all I’m saying.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:USC is stacked. They have four guys who can play with the ball in their hands (McLaughlin, Melton, Matthews, Thornton), good perimeter defenders (McLaughlin, Melton, Matthews, Stewart), good outside shooters (McLaughlin, Stewart, Boatwright), some length at wing (Stewart, Aaron, O'Bannon), and two NBA caliber bigs (Boatwright, Metu). Their coaching is suspect and I wonder if the team chemistry holds with that many dudes trying to achieve individual goals in a single season. That's all you can bank on beyond just being better than a very talented and well rounded roster.

I like Trier, Alkins, and Ayton as game changers for us, as well as our coaching. That core three with the steady service of PJC and Ristic plus a bevy of young shooters gives me a lot of confidence. But USC's guard play and the two outstanding front court players will be a problem.
Agree with this. They have a lot of talent. I think we are more talented and have a definitive advatage at coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We also have the home court advantage seeing as we only play them once and it's in McKale. If we meet them in Vegas you could literally call that a home game as well.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Better

I think OSU can surprise. Lotta injuries last year. They'll have Tinkle, Thompson Jr. and Eubanks, all juniors. They will be better. Maybe better than Utah and Colorado.

If ASU gets any kind of frontcourt help. Good backcourt. They will be better.

Stanford will be better, but still weak in the backcourt.

Arizona -- If key players survive, we will advance.

USC -- Already stacked. Add Thornton and freshmen. But could lose a player or two, too.

Worse

UW -- When your star is Thybulle ...

Wazzu -- Malachi Flynn is going to be exhausted come February.

Cal -- No Rabb, no Moore, no hope.

Utah -- lost good players

Colorado -- lost stud guard

UCLA -- Lost a ton, including one special Ball player.

Oregon -- Not Final Four this year.

Overall

Worse, plus two best teams under a cloud.
Right where I want to be.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

gumby wrote:Better

I think OSU can surprise. Lotta injuries last year. They'll have Tinkle, Thompson Jr. and Eubanks, all juniors. They will be better. Maybe better than Utah and Colorado.

If ASU gets any kind of frontcourt help. Good backcourt. They will be better.

Stanford will be better, but still weak in the backcourt.

Arizona -- If key players survive, we will advance.

USC -- Already stacked. Add Thornton and freshmen. But could lose a player or two, too.

Worse

UW -- When your star is Thybulle ...

Wazzu -- Malachi Flynn is going to be exhausted come February.

Cal -- No Rabb, no Moore, no hope.

Utah -- lost good players

Colorado -- lost stud guard

UCLA -- Lost a ton, including one special Ball player.

Oregon -- Not Final Four this year.

Overall

Worse, plus two best teams under a cloud.
Excellent summary -- about where I'm at also. I hate saying it, but while Oregon will be "worse" they'll still be tough. Altman seems to find a way no matter the turnover. Bugs the crap out of me.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Me, too. Lotta Ducks in my orbit. Doesn't help.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hard to predict the PAC this year...outside of 2 teams IMO
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Hard to predict the PAC this year...outside of 2 teams IMO
I agree with this. Arizona and SC are the teams you expect to be good. Oregon and UCLA lost a lot and brought in a lot of talent. Everyone else has holes.

I trust Altman as a coach far more than Alford, but both UCLA and Oregon shuld be dangerous at a bare minimum.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

YoDeFoe wrote:
That's not a concern. He had a more than 3:1 A:TO last year, up from 2.4 the year prior.

Get PJC improve his offense (take more shots from three, improve his two point jumper %, and/or improve his finishing % at the rim)... get PJC to stay healthy and strong enough to play 1,200min... get PJC to be more of a vocal leader. Those are my asks.
Full effort on defense, improve consistency. All I ask.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

It's not too much to ask. PJC isn't an all-Pac player; far from it. But he's got enough skill to hold down the fort this year. It will help, too, that we've got nice backcourt depth.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Make a semi-positive impact in big games against good teams. That's all I want.

The 5 points and 5 assists vs Xavier with 1 for 5 shooting...that's not going to help us get all the way. 5.3 ppg and 3.3 apg in the tourney playing 22, 24 and 27 mpg. He won't be our stalwart leader, but he has to be someone that gives us something.