2017/2018 PG

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

Re: 2017/2018 PG

Post by BBQ wildcat »

luteformayor2 wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Not absolute, but there has been a noticeable trend: his good games come against mid major and smaller D1 program talent. We had quite a few of those games early. Against the premier talent, or at least the bigger faster, stronger, he is mostly ho hum to a liability. We got our hopes up too high watching him play against others who were closer to his pay grade, gonna take some time, maybe even a couple seasons, til he gets to where he can more consistently hang w the big boys.
I dunno man. Ayton is never a liability. That is absurd.

When we were playing our best teams:

Alabama - Monster Game
ASU - Monster game
T A&M - Good Game with a double double
Utah - Monster Game
UNLV - Monster game

I don't understand the statement.

EDIT: I am an idiot. Missread your post. Yes, PJC is a liability.
He was talking about Barcello.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:at one point after he RE-entered the game and it was getting frenetic again, when Alkins was at the line Miller pulled him over to the sideline and from one knee sternly told him to take control and be the PG.
Didn't notice that - thanks for sharing. Love it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Really a game like this where it shows doesn't it.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

NYCat wrote:Really a game like this where it shows doesn't it.
100%
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Holiday is really good and we had no answer for him. Can you imagine where we would be with him? Saturday will be tough too. McLaughlin is really good
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

84Cat wrote:Holiday is really good and we had no answer for him. Can you imagine where we would be with him? Saturday will be tough too. McLaughlin is really good
McLaughlin and PJC go way back. They were the top two PG's in SoCal and have played each other for years. PJC has not usually come out on the winning end of those encounters...........does Miller adjust and start Akot/Randolph/DS or do we watch McLaughlin shoot over and drive by PJC all night???
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Where we in the mix for Holiday?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Where we in the mix for Holiday?
Nah, I mean look who his brother is. Jaylen Hands on the other hand should've been an Arizona player, but Brady Leaf and Etop are the two biggest cocksuckers in the basketball universe. Boy I'm sure glad we humored Gabe York for 4 worthless years to lose out on guys like Hands and be stuck with PJCs instead.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I’d be very grateful if someone who knows more about basketball can explain to me why this team needs a true point guard as opposed to Trier at the 1. I know Trier is looking to shoot, and to score. But Miller has run with that before. It’s hard for me to understand leaving 20% of your otherwise elite team on the floor to a mid-major backup.
Make no mistake, Trier is the guy with the ball at the top of the key late in games.

However, to your point... Imagine this team with a PG capable of getting everyone easy looks off dribble penetration. Imagine someone getting Trier easy looks on the wing. Imagine a defense being stressed by Trier on the wing and Ayton on the block/elbow, and then a PG capable of beating his man off the bounce and finishing at the rim. As I posted previously, if you want to see an improved PJC (you, as the general person on this board), we better be able to get stops so he can push the ball in transition. Thats where he is at his best.

I think PJC will be fine, but, as others have noted, fine can easily be the difference between a Final Four and another early exit.
I'm quoting this post from TucsonClip on 10/21. It's February and the jury is out: This team can't get the defensive stops needed to let PJC push the ball. PJC is playing to all of his disadvantages in the half-court.

Why not continue to amp up Aykot's minutes and give ball handling duties to Trier? In other words Trier, more time with a lineup of Aykot, Alkins, Ayton, and Ristic. In which case, Aykot hopefully doesn't try to do too much with the ball.

Miller was right about Ristic, and everyone else was wrong. But sticking with too many minutes for PJC at this point is a white flag. There are games he excels, but you're asking for the inevitable game where he'll kill you.

I know, I know. Miller will still focus on getting his team to defend. He's probably right.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

it’s the biggest weakness on both ends of the court, in the huddle, and off the floor on the entire team and it ain’t close.

all y’all can come to his defense and say what you want, but Arizona’s problems all start with a PG who has no business playing at Arizona, and it’s shinning thru again and again down the stretch of the season.

as I said At the end of last, and the beginning of this, it’s all Sean Millers fault. Arizona is so poor at the point of attack it’s not worth mentioning anymore, but it’s still a shame.

i feel for the kid, but he is just awful and all his responsibility and minutes he’s been asked to play and lead with are not his fault

this thread was started in hopes that I would come in here and eat crow - what a waste.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

97cats wrote:it’s the biggest weakness on both ends of the court, in the huddle, and off the floor on the entire team and it ain’t close.

all y’all can come to his defense and say what you want, but Arizona’s problems all start with a PG who has no business playing at Arizona, and it’s shinning thru again and again down the stretch of the season.

as I said At the end of last, and the beginning of this, it’s all Sean Millers fault. Arizona is so poor at the point of attack it’s not worth mentioning anymore, but it’s still a shame.

i feel for the kid, but he is just awful and all his responsibility and minutes he’s been asked to play and lead with are not his fault

this thread was started in hopes that I would come in here and eat crow - what a waste.
While I agree with the arguments presented in this, I think the tone is a bit harsh. I mean, if that's the tone we're taking towards Miller regarding PJC then go ahead and say our loss to Illinois in 2005 was all Lute's fault because Shakur was a bad point guard.

Ultimately, it's on Miler to recruit a better point guard or make PJC better. And neither has happened, which is indeed frustrating. I don't follow the dynamics of recruiting so I don't know when Miller realized that betting on PJC was a mistake. Maybe it was a while ago and Miller simply couldn't get a recruit to commit. (I'd love to know more on the topic).

If Trier was a plus defender and Alkins was healthy and our bench players like Randolph & Akot lived up to the hype, then maybe PJC would't shoulder so much blame. But with Trier's limitations (and Ristic's), PJC's shortcomings are magnified even more.

I'm always weary of undersized point guards like PJC. Their margin for error is so slim. And PJC doesn't have a large bone structure, so he's a slight 5'9", not a stout Fred Van Vleet.

At this point, I don't know what the options are for Miller. He can cut PJC's minutes based on match ups and situations. But that will impact our offense. Either Trier or ALkins will be out of position. Akot seems the logical choice because he's the only guy who's displayed any basketball IQ of passing and setting up teammates. And he has the skill set to be a really good defender. But he's mistake prone and hasn't logged enough minutes because of the knee issues. Not the kind of experiment you want to be making in the middle of February. But we may have to take a step back to hopefully have more upside in March. Risky move to say the least.

We lost to UCLA because our defensive liabilities were exposed. UCLA made shots. And Ayton played horrific and missed a ton of easy shots. If our offense was as productive as it usually is, the game is a toss up. Just like last year at McKale against UCLA, we simply did not shoot the ball well. Alkins has been a disappointment and his foot injury has really marginalized his season. If he can get back to his prime form, that helps mitigate some of our other problems with Trier and PJC. Not a lot, but a little.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I will say this about the PG position, typically the PG is the floor general, PJC did not get enough time under TJ to learn how to communicate, Kadeem was a very humble and quiet PG but made up for it on the defensive end, so basically we got the worst part of Allen in a PG who does not have the physical ability to make it up anywhere else...

I like humble guys...just not if they are quiet and leading the team...

Not sure WTF happened to Barcello...his defense must be pretty bad.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

zonagrad wrote:
While I agree with the arguments presented in this, I think the tone is a bit harsh. I mean, if that's the tone we're taking towards Miller regarding PJC then go ahead and say our loss to Illinois in 2005 was all Lute's fault because Shakur was a bad point guard.

Ultimately, it's on Miler to recruit a better point guard or make PJC better. And neither has happened, which is indeed frustrating. I don't follow the dynamics of recruiting so I don't know when Miller realized that betting on PJC was a mistake. Maybe it was a while ago and Miller simply couldn't get a recruit to commit. (I'd love to know more on the topic).

If Trier was a plus defender and Alkins was healthy and our bench players like Randolph & Akot lived up to the hype, then maybe PJC would't shoulder so much blame. But with Trier's limitations (and Ristic's), PJC's shortcomings are magnified even more.

I'm always weary of undersized point guards like PJC. Their margin for error is so slim. And PJC doesn't have a large bone structure, so he's a slight 5'9", not a stout Fred Van Vleet.

At this point, I don't know what the options are for Miller. He can cut PJC's minutes based on match ups and situations. But that will impact our offense. Either Trier or ALkins will be out of position. Akot seems the logical choice because he's the only guy who's displayed any basketball IQ of passing and setting up teammates. And he has the skill set to be a really good defender. But he's mistake prone and hasn't logged enough minutes because of the knee issues. Not the kind of experiment you want to be making in the middle of February. But we may have to take a step back to hopefully have more upside in March. Risky move to say the least.

We lost to UCLA because our defensive liabilities were exposed. UCLA made shots. And Ayton played horrific and missed a ton of easy shots. If our offense was as productive as it usually is, the game is a toss up. Just like last year at McKale against UCLA, we simply did not shoot the ball well. Alkins has been a disappointment and his foot injury has really marginalized his season. If he can get back to his prime form, that helps mitigate some of our other problems with Trier and PJC. Not a lot, but a little.
did you read my post, cause I clearly said this entire situation is all Sean Millers fault, all of it.

and to the point that “what is Arizona to do” and “we have no other option” and “he is what he is” and “all he needs to do is protect the ball and knock down shots” - all that bologna is all Sean millers fault.

ive said this 50 times, and I will say it again, the fact that Cartwright is in the position he is, playing all the minutes he’s being required to play and being asked to shoulder all the responsibilities he is asked to shoulder is all Sean millers fault, all of it.

that doesn’t change the facts that Cartwright should not be playing at Arizona for this team. he is grossly incapable of leading this bunch and is a major liability on both ends of the floor outmatched almost every time out.

Arizona’s problems start with a weak and outclassed player at the point of attack who is being required to play 30+ minutes a game, and it shown through again tonight like it has all season when it counts and that is ALL Sean millers fault - ALL of it.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

It’s shocking that CSM has only recruited one good PG (that was successful) in all of his years here and that was TJ...unless I’m missing someone. This whole PJC experience has been a major letdown and the PG has been an Achilles Heel for ‘Point Guard U’...smh.

PJC is NOT Arizona good and it seems we’ve been held hostage to him and his Dad for the last 4 years. I like PJC but he’s just way to small and lacks leadership skills (probably due to his overbearing Dad and him being the youngest child). I’m so sick of lacking a good PG (other than the 2 years of TJ).
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:it’s the biggest weakness on both ends of the court, in the huddle, and off the floor on the entire team and it ain’t close.

I really, really wanted you to eat crow. You really need a solid pg to compete and we don't have one . You need leadership from your pg (Hello TJ) and this team doesn't have a leader in PJC and no one else on this team has wanted to step up into a leadership position and we are sinking.

Very depressing
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is my overall take on Parker.

If I listed his best qualities, I would say he mostly protects the ball and is unselfish. He takes only open, standstill threes and makes a good percentage of them.

What is telling to me is how I feel like the best praise I can give him winds up being pretty run of the mill stuff. It's like praising an employee and beginning with "he shows up on time consistently." It's not bad thing, but when that's the best you can do...
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

You can get by being small if you have a strong frame and can finish through contact. PJC is small and weak which is a horrible combo in basketball. He can't beat anyone off the dribble because his defender knows he isn't going to shoot it. If he does, there a 90% chance it gets blocked. This kills his ability to drive an dish because you don't have to provide help defense. Like 97 has said, its Miller's fault he is our starting PG and its really an unfortunate situation.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Does anybody know the back story about how he was recruited to Arizona in the first place? Whatever scouting was involved precedes all the subsequent bad decisions not to recruit over him. I don't know how to scout upside, but in retrospect, I can't imagine how he got evaluated in light of his physical limitations and naturally quiet, backseat demeanor.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't understand these references to PJC and his dad holding us hostage. Can someone explain? Because it was clear two years ago that PJC was not going to develop into a top of the line point guard. At best he would be an average Pac 12 point guard. But I don't think anyone would argue that every other Pac 12 point guard in the conference would help solve Arizona's problems. The trouble is, you can't make an in-season trade.

I love Miler and think he's been phenomenal. But this has been his biggest failure and it's especially frustrating when you have so much talent in other positions. We're never more than the sum of our parts and that's because of our point guard shortcomings. Kadeem Allen's on ball defense and overall abilities helped hide the problem a little last year. We've basically traded Ayton for Markannen. And both are great players. And everyone else is a year older and is playing better. But without Allen, the team is suffering because of what PJC can't provide.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BTW, this team needs Justin Simon, but I don't blame Miller for losing him. He wasn't ready for more playing time than he got as a freshman, and then he made his own decision. He could have been the leader of a team playing for a national title had he stuck with it.
Last edited by Longhorned on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yes this is all on Miller, PJC is who he is, just a solid backup DI PG.

But just wanted to add, that I don't think Miller ever expected to hand PJC the keys.

PGs:
Cats had a commitment from Tyler Dorsey, who bailed at went to Oregon.
Kobi Simmons left after one year to go the league.
Barcello was a 4 star prospect and twice the high school AZ POY but did not progress as a true freshman.

Other guards:
Terrance Ferguson goes oversears

And in the future:
Jahvon Quinerly (2018) bailed due to the Book situation.

No doubt some others too that slip my mind.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

nmmmm
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sorry, Justin not Miles.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:Sorry, Justin not Miles.
I knew I forgot one!

7.3 boards, 5.0 assists and 11.2 PPG for SJU.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:It’s shocking that CSM has only recruited one good PG (that was successful) in all of his years here and that was TJ...unless I’m missing someone. This whole PJC experience has been a major letdown and the PG has been an Achilles Heel for ‘Point Guard U’...smh.

PJC is NOT Arizona good and it seems we’ve been held hostage to him and his Dad for the last 4 years. I like PJC but he’s just way to small and lacks leadership skills (probably due to his overbearing Dad and him being the youngest child). I’m so sick of lacking a good PG (other than the 2 years of TJ).
Miller didn't recruit TJ, he got lucky he picked Arizona as a transfer and turned out to be good. Same with Mark Lyons. Miller has only landed Josiah Turner, PJC and now Williams. But back to be being bailed out by transfers, although both were pretty good at Arizona, it cost Arizona ultimately 3-4 years of recruiting PGs. I'd rather take my chances with recruits than transfers any day. Last year Allen bailed him out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
PGs:
We bailed on Dorsey to land 3 specific guys and only 1 of them ever contributed at Arizona.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
PGs:
We bailed on Dorsey to land 3 specific guys and only 1 of them ever contributed at Arizona.
Yeah, but that one guy was Trier and he's had an objectively better college career than Dorsey.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin wrote:Yes this is all on Miller, PJC is who he is, just a solid backup DI PG.

But just wanted to add, that I don't think Miller ever expected to hand PJC the keys.

PGs:
Kobi Simmons left after one year to go the league.
Barcello was a 4 star prospect and twice the high school AZ POY but did not progress as a true freshman.
Other guards:
Terrance Ferguson goes oversears

And in the future:
Jahvon Quinerly (2018) bailed due to the Book situation.

No doubt some others too that slip my mind.
None of those were going to be playing the point though. Maybe help with the ball handling duties like Allen did last year, bailing out Miller again. Barcello was going to be too young and raw.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
PGs:
Yeah, but that one guy was Trier and he's had an objectively better college career than Dorsey.
I mean even in hindsight I do that trade 10 times out of 10, especially since part of that trade involved a better point guard that Parker Jackson-Cartwright and a NBA small forward. We're Arizona though, so we we're not able to have nice things, and that better point guard didn't get along with Miller and that NBA small forward had his career ruined by injuries before we could get a single minute out of him on the court.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The irony is next year Brandon Williams may the point guard we've been yearning for. But we won't have the complimentary pieces.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

zonagrad wrote:The irony is next year Brandon Williams may the point guard we've been yearning for. But we won't have the complimentary pieces.
Lack of bench minutes this year will hurt next year's because the lack of game time experience. At this point just play for the future and give the bench a lot of minutes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:The irony is next year Brandon Williams may the point guard we've been yearning for. But we won't have the complimentary pieces.
It just depends on how the guys develop. There will certainly be no choice other than throwing the talent into the fire, but if we base it on overall talent levels Arizona will have a 4-5 star level player starting and backing up at every position. The talent is there to at least be competitive next season that's for sure.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fortunately(?) BDub is used to that, and can score.

Hopefully Barcello, Lee, Randolph and Akot can all make that freshman to sophomore leap Lute used to rave about.

NYCat wrote:
Lack of bench minutes this year will hurt next year's because the lack of game time experience. At this point just play for the future and give the bench a lot of minutes.

Bench should be playing anyway, nothing like pine time to motivate the starters. As shitty as PJC was playing, I would have put the worst scholarship player on the team, Barcello, out there because at least he tries.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

agree

the even harder part for me is Coach Miller knew what he had this year, and what he had after TJ left, and didnt get out in front and address the issue for a number of reason(s), none of which i feel like discussing, and none of which are good ones.

after the expiration of last season i was frustrated knowing that this seasons team would have such a major hole at the most important position on the floor with all the terrific pieces around it.

like it or not, teams take on the personality of their PG - just go back and look at Arizona alone in a vacuum and its plain as day, both good and bad.

this year is the bad.

for a broader scope, look at the NBA and its most successful and least successful teams, the point of attack is where the team gets its attitude, spirit, drive, heart, toughness, and strength and its the same place that begins the drain from within.

if you look at Arizona's team this season, that exact thing has happened, and the group has taken on the personality of its PG - looking sad, uninterested, insecure, and having no fun.

fuck, Dusan even said as much.

im beating somewhat of a dead horse, but after last night i could no longer toe the company line as said i would this year.

its a god damn shame.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Smith is definitely starting next year, I've watched too many Miller teams to know he'll trust Smith more on defense. Of course doesn't help that Randolph is probably the worst defender on this team. Anyway Williams (who can score), with Smith & Jeter should be a decent, lol I can't do it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote: the even harder part for me is Coach Miller knew what he had this year, and what he had after TJ left, and didnt get out in front and address the issue for a number of reason(s), none of which i feel like discussing, and none of which are good ones.
Ain't that the fucking truth my man.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:We're Arizona though, so we we're not able to have nice things, and that better point guard didn't get along with Miller and that NBA small forward had his career ruined by injuries before we could get a single minute out of him on the court.
:(
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:
agree

the even harder part for me is Coach Miller knew what he had this year, and what he had after TJ left, and didnt get out in front and address the issue for a number of reason(s), none of which i feel like discussing, and none of which are good ones.

after the expiration of last season i was frustrated knowing that this seasons team would have such a major hole at the most important position on the floor with all the terrific pieces around it.

like it or not, teams take on the personality of their PG - just go back and look at Arizona alone in a vacuum and its plain as day, both good and bad.

this year is the bad.

for a broader scope, look at the NBA and its most successful and least successful teams, the point of attack is where the team gets its attitude, spirit, drive, heart, toughness, and strength and its the same place that begins the drain from within.

if you look at Arizona's team this season, that exact thing has happened, and the group has taken on the personality of its PG - looking sad, uninterested, insecure, and having no fun.

im beating somewhat of a dead horse, but after last night i could no longer toe the company line as said i would this year.

its a god damn shame.
Good post, unfortunately.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote:
97cats wrote:
agree

this year is the bad.

its a god damn shame.
Good post, unfortunately.
yep
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Uhh, maybe.

If the NCAA drops the hammer on us before the start of next season we will have Alex Barcello as the starting PG

Both Williams/O'Neal will drop the UA in a nanosecond if we get banned from the 2019 NCAA tourney.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:

Uhh, maybe.

If the NCAA drops the hammer on us before the start of next season we will have Alex Barcello as the starting PG

Both Williams/O'Neal will drop the UA in a nanosecond if we get banned from the 2019 NCAA tourney.
I'm not so sure. Neither is a one and done, and I'd suspect their decisions are more about coaching and overall program stability, not 18-19 postseason.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Not in the way fans have become accustomed to the past several years when bona fide top-tier NBA ready guys are on the rosters like Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson, Lauri Markkanen, and Deandre Ayton, but there will be some nice pieces (assuming no one transfers), just not the exciting freshman additions the fan-base is used to. While highly rated coming in, this year's freshman class has been underwhelming, but they will likely return as sophomores, and that is a nice scenario for any program to have -- to have a highly rated freshman recruiting class return as sophomores, with a year of development in the program under their belts. Add the Jeter transfer, plus O'Neil and Williams, and Arizona's 2018/2019 could be more formidable than this year's squad (in all seriousness, do not be surprised if next year's squad has a better tournament showing than this year's squad, assuming there is not a post-season ban). The real hit could be the following year if the FBI issues still cloud the program and recruiting does not get solved.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I love these guys, I really do.

But it'll be nice to hit the reset button next year and come in with a new squad that hopefully has better chemistry and buy-in.

Feel free to remind me of this post in 12 months, however.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

midnightx wrote:
Not in the way fans have become accustomed to the past several years when bona fide top-tier NBA ready guys are on the rosters like Aaron Gordon, Stanley Johnson, Lauri Markkanen, and Deandre Ayton, but there will be some nice pieces (assuming no one transfers), just not the exciting freshman additions the fan-base is used to. While highly rated coming in, this year's freshman class has been underwhelming, but they will likely return as sophomores, and that is a nice scenario for any program to have -- to have a highly rated freshman recruiting class return as sophomores, with a year of development in the program under their belts. Add the Jeter transfer, plus O'Neil and Williams, and Arizona's 2018/2019 could be more formidable than this year's squad (in all seriousness, do not be surprised if next year's squad has a better tournament showing than this year's squad, assuming there is not a post-season ban). The real hit could be the following year if the FBI issues still cloud the program and recruiting does not get solved.
Tbh it's set up as a team I'd ideally like Miller to have from now on

Which is 1 ball handler, 3 wings and 1 post while the wings are all long, athletic and versatile who can play multiple positions. But really not one wing fits that description except Akot who unfortunately can't do anything on offense.

In a couple of years though, this team could be pretty good if it sticks together. It'll br nice to control the point of attack both ways.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Miller just needs to sit PJC down and play Trier at point. It can't be any worse. Dylan Smith is a better player....as is Akot. Our defense would improve a lot with trier on the PG to add size and AKot in there instead of PJC.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

billk78 wrote:Miller just needs to sit PJC down and play Trier at point. It can't be any worse. Dylan Smith is a better player....as is Akot. Our defense would improve a lot with trier on the PG to add size and AKot in there instead of PJC.
I agree to some extent, but adding to his output demand would also leverage Trier's unpredictable defensive commitment. Tough call that one.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

billk78 wrote:Miller just needs to sit PJC down and play Trier at point. It can't be any worse. Dylan Smith is a better player....as is Akot. Our defense would improve a lot with trier on the PG to add size and AKot in there instead of PJC.
Holy shit, do you really think trier could cover opposing teams' point guards? I am simply speechless
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Holy shit, do you really think trier could cover opposing teams' point guards? I am simply speechless
PJC can't. I like Trier at PG, have another scorer on the court
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Merkin wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
PJC can't. I like Trier at PG, have another scorer on the court
At least Parker can stay in front of them. Trier would give up 8 extra free passes to the rim every game
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

And that's why there's no clear cut solution to our defensive problems. It's a game by game issue.