Ristic

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

KaibabKat

Re: Ristic

Post by KaibabKat »

NYCat wrote:Best player for Arizona last couple of weeks. Think I remember him being really good last year after game at Arizona went on a road trip to the bay (?) Iirc during mid season in conference play. Was averaging something like 15/7 during that stretch last year but I might be remembering wrong.
First half of the Pac-12 season last year Dusan was KenPom MVP of the game 3 times.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Best player for Arizona last couple of weeks. Think I remember him being really good last year after game at Arizona went on a road trip to the bay (?) Iirc during mid season in conference play. Was averaging something like 15/7 during that stretch last year but I might be remembering wrong.
If he's not Pac 12 POW after these past 2 games it'll be a crime.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I am really loving his play this year. We were supposed to be an offensive powerhouse this year. But with the bench regularly contributing only 5-6 points a game, we really need Ristic's firepower. At one point in yesterday's game, they put up a stat that showed Utah's bench with 18 points and ours with 5 points.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Should be Pac-12 player of the week.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Hypothesis: Ristic has turned a corner and he's now a deadly weapon on offense. He's playing differently these past two games.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Oh man I sure as hell hope so.

We need the help.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The guy has always been an above average offensive weapon, as a matter of fact he may be the most skilled 5 man Arizona has had since Bison Dele on that end. It's all about translating his recent confidence into being a weapon of any kind on defense.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He's let the game come to him. Before, he was forcing it among a swarm of defenders, getting the ball swat or forcing (and missing) at point-blank range. Now he takes what the defense gives him. If it's one-on-one, he has the control to score automatically. He also has the timing down when help comes: has his man beat, waits fakes the shot and lets the defender fly by, and then calmly dunks or lays it in.

And I know I'm laughably wrong to say this, but he's got a nice touch from distance, and he shot that second 3-pointer because he knew he had a ticket to all-net.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:Should be Pac-12 player of the week.
But they’ll give it to Aaron Holiday.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

POW

Awesome!
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sweet!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

GREAT! Well done, Dusan.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He shot it @ 84% this week. That's nuts!!!

Congrats Dusan!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Great to see Dusan's work paying off. He's turned into a very solid performer who provides consistency and production.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

So happy for Dusan. Well-deserved big fella! BD.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I rewatched the game, and I'm going to double down on this: Ristic's 3-point shooting is wet. And he knows it. I think the outlier stat is him going 0-5 this season prior to the Utah game. Previously, he had shot 8-14 from behind the arc going back over four years. That makes him now 11-22 all time.

This shouldn't surprise, since he's such a decent catch-and-shoot player at mid-range. That really nice, soft touch extends beyond that. His follow through is good and he has good arc for a player of any height.

When Ayton is in the game, Ristic should give Ayton his space in the block and drag his man out to the perimeter. As Miller envisions, Ayton can set the high screen, and roll to the rim when the ball is in Ristic's hands. But Ristic can also be a guy you can't let get open from deep.

I love deadly sharpshooting big men. I've always wanted one. Can I have one???
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Congrats Dusan!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Longhorned wrote:I rewatched the game, and I'm going to double down on this: Ristic's 3-point shooting is wet. And he knows it. I think the outlier stat is him going 0-5 this season prior to the Utah game. Previously, he had shot 8-14 from behind the arc going back over four years. That makes him now 11-22 all time.

This shouldn't surprise, since he's such a decent catch-and-shoot player at mid-range. That really nice, soft touch extends beyond that. His follow through is good and he has good arc for a player of any height.

When Ayton is in the game, Ristic should give Ayton his space in the block and drag his man out to the perimeter. As Miller envisions, Ayton can set the high screen, and roll to the rim when the ball is in Ristic's hands. But Ristic can also be a guy you can't let get open from deep.

I'd rather have Ayton on the low block & in position to get some offensive boards. I like Ristic as a low post option when Ayton is getting a breather. But really, it should all be about matchups. Who's is guarding Ayton & who is guarding Ristic. I get Miller's mantra of "do what we do." But Arizona has a unique roster with an undersized point guard who can't create and two seven footers and no real stretch 3-4 guy who can post up and hit the perimeter shot. So the offensive sets should be about the opponents on the floor and scouting their weaknesses and then then formulating an attack.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:I rewatched the game, and I'm going to double down on this: Ristic's 3-point shooting is wet. And he knows it. I think the outlier stat is him going 0-5 this season prior to the Utah game. Previously, he had shot 8-14 from behind the arc going back over four years. That makes him now 11-22 all time.

I totally agree. But wasn't Lauri a sharpshooting big man?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:

I totally agree. But wasn't Lauri a sharpshooting big man?
He's getting greedy, wants one every year and Ayton's midrange J just isn't scratching that itch.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I am really enjoying his game now. Most players improve the most between their freshman and sophomore years, but Dusan has improved immensely since the beginning of the season. IMO he is our best scorer. When was the last time a UA player had a better mid-range game than Dusan? And his defense has improved by leaps and bounds. The two blocks during the last game were impressive. I want to see the ball in his hands every time down the floor. And I would like to see him in the high post more often instead of Andre (who has really been struggling with his mid-range game recently). Dusan has become automatic with his shooting.

Player development is why I like watching college basketball, and Dusan is a perfect example. He is going to end up being one of my favorite players from UA.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

While he has his shortcomings defensively, I think we would be far worse off with out Dusan from Tucson
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

He stepped it up big time in the second half. Scoring, blocks, and just played more aggressively than I think he ever has before. He may just be stepping up as a team leader.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

People bitching about Dusan, Trier, and even PJC (sometimes) are in for a rude awakening next year.

Really hope guys like Akot and Randolph can make the sophomore jump and i hope Jeter is ready to be a starting C.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:People bitching about Dusan, Trier, and even PJC (sometimes) are in for a rude awakening next year.

Really hope guys like Akot and Randolph can make the sophomore jump and i hope Jeter is ready to be a starting C.
Next year's lineup is going to be apples to oranges with this year. I expect a rebuilding year focused on development, with the corresponding aspect that younger guys take some lumps. Thing is, every younger guy has a higher defensive upside than the person he'll replace, but it comes at the loss of a lot of firepower on offense.

Williams, Randolph, Akot, Lee/Shareef, Jeter is what I'd think, and every one of those guys except maybe the Lee/Reef vs Ayton (maybe) sets up better defensively than this year. Of course, youth and execution could heavily hinder that
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Who in that projected starting five for next year can hit threes consistently? Feels like forever since we’ve had a lights out long range bomber.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Who in that projected starting five for next year can hit threes consistently? Feels like forever since we’ve had a lights out long range bomber.
We have 2 guys over 42% now, which is very good. Before that, Gabe York.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BBQ wildcat wrote:He stepped it up big time in the second half. Scoring, blocks, and just played more aggressively than I think he ever has before. He may just be stepping up as a team leader.
I think he's the team leader by example and also vocally. Normally, that would be the senior point guard, but I expected Alkins would fill that role. Ristic has balls.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:He stepped it up big time in the second half. Scoring, blocks, and just played more aggressively than I think he ever has before. He may just be stepping up as a team leader.
I think he's the team leader by example and also vocally. Normally, that would be the senior point guard, but I expected Alkins would fill that role. Ristic has balls.
With the leader talk, that's always the first thing I think. We have a senior PG starting. It should be a given who the leader is, right?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We were 8-22 vs. UCLA, who is one of the worst defensive teams we’ve faced.

And maybe three point shooting is less a concern than our defense. Seems like when this team defends well, we win. Maybe next year’s team will follow suit. I’d expect that Williams, Randolph, and Smith are all potentially reliable long range shooters. Barcello too. We’re losing a ton of size, so outside shooting could be more important next year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Seems to be taking the end of his career very seriously.

I remember the start of my final Spring semester in Tucson... I was like a manic depressive - half the time running around like I was ten foot tall and bullet proof, the other half locked in my room wondering when the walls would cave in. Leaving what you've known for four (maybe five...) years to head out to the professional world can do a number on you.

Dusan seems to be taking it the best you can: recognizing the finality of it and leaving it all on the court. He's been on fire these last six games and if he closes out this way he'll elevate his legacy flawed role player to distinguished fan favorite.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I love Dusan and I dislike anyone who doesn't.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dusan from Tucson will be greatly missed next year.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I harp on Dusan’s defense a lot. Mainly cause his defense. His midrange game and work in the post is high grade though. I did notice that after he got bopped in the face Saturday night he started to play with a chip on his shoulder defensively and it showed. I liked that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WildcatStunner wrote:I harp on Dusan’s defense a lot. Mainly cause his defense. His midrange game and work in the post is high grade though. I did notice that after he got bopped in the face Saturday night he started to play with a chip on his shoulder defensively and it showed. I liked that.
Dusan's D is mainly a product of his lack of mobility, which he can't control. The factors he can control have seen improvement on a constant basis through the years. Dusan is a good representative of the process players should follow here.

There's always the D, but there's a reason SM always lists him as a hard worker.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
WildcatStunner wrote:I harp on Dusan’s defense a lot. Mainly cause his defense. His midrange game and work in the post is high grade though. I did notice that after he got bopped in the face Saturday night he started to play with a chip on his shoulder defensively and it showed. I liked that.
Dusan's D is mainly a product of his lack of mobility, which he can't control. The factors he can control have seen improvement on a constant basis through the years. Dusan is a good representative of the process players should follow here.

There's always the D, but there's a reason SM always lists him as a hard worker.
Of late even if he doesn't start well he appears to be hanging in and coming on later in games. He could be a standout factor in advancing us that extra round in the Dance. We talk about Trier, Ayton and Alkins being key producers, but when Dusan is also clicking on offense and the boards and perhaps assists out to PJC we are truly at our best.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CSM said he's playing at an all-conference level at the moment. I tend to agree.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

EastCoastCat wrote:CSM said he's playing at an all-conference level at the moment. I tend to agree.
I love it and if he wants to take another contested three...go for it big man! ;)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I feel him and Dylan smith can be the X factors come tourney time.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:I feel him and Dylan smith can be the X factors come tourney time.
Agreed. Two guys i trust to get us buckets, who can also come up with some impactful defensive plays.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

YDF, just want to say I appreciate all the knowledge and experience and date your bringing lately, it really had elevated my game watching.

I get critical and admittedly never played in an organized league so I have little “game context” in which to place my observations. I can tell You, spiff, zonagrad, and a few others have played and it’s helpful to read the board and the look for things in the games.

Maybe I’m drinking the same tap water as Odogg but I’m starting to get really excited for tourney time. AND, we do have a really good team with stand out pieces and solid role players.

Here’s to it clicking when it matters most.

Bear down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I feel him and Dylan smith can be the X factors come tourney time.
Agreed. Two guys i trust to get us buckets, who can also come up with some impactful defensive plays.
One of the underrated aspects of the tourney is how often this occurs. Against Xavier, if Trier and Rawle shot normally from 3, we drive them out of the 2-3 and it's a different game.

Half the time in the close ones, one guy making a few shots to change the momentum of the game is the difference between a W and a L. If Dylan pulls a Cal in a big game, he can be that guy.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:YDF, just want to say I appreciate all the knowledge and experience and date your bringing lately, it really had elevated my game watching.

I get critical and admittedly never played in an organized league so I have little “game context” in which to place my observations. I can tell You, spiff, zonagrad, and a few others have played and it’s helpful to read the board and the look for things in the games.

Maybe I’m drinking the same tap water as Odogg but I’m starting to get really excited for tourney time. AND, we do have a really good team with stand out pieces and solid role players.

Bear down.
Glad to be here bud. I'm no sage and I rely on all of y'all to provide perspective and keep me grounded. We've got a great board with some darn good fans here, glad I found it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Agreed. You’ve been killing it, YDF.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Watched the game finally. The only replay I could find of Ristic blocking Metu. Ristic meeting Metu at the rim is hilarious.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:YDF, just want to say I appreciate all the knowledge and experience and date your bringing lately, it really had elevated my game watching.

Bear down.
Glad to be here bud. I'm no sage and I rely on all of y'all to provide perspective and keep me grounded. We've got a great board with some darn good fans here, glad I found it.
Adding to the praise, you've had a ton of great info lately.

I appreciate this board bc it is generally more educated. I was talking with a more casual fan the other day who was shocked that I thought Ayton might leave after one year. "He's not coming back!?"

It reminded me how deep most of us are in it. I'd have an easier time imagining a Protestant Pope ruling a frozen hell than Ayton as a sophomore.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just take exception to the term X-factor as it pertains to Ristic. If you take away the Colorado loss... Duce has been the most consistent player on this team this year. I think we know exactly what he is going to bring us day in and day out.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

True that A, I met X factor in respect that we know what to do expect out of him, but inc Old easily see how he could get overlooked on the depth chart by an opposing team. They can make that mistake at their peril.

Dusan’s consistency has really started to show up as glue guy which is rare for a big man.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:True that A, I met X factor in respect that we know what to do expect out of him, but inc Old easily see how he could get overlooked on the depth chart by an opposing team. They can make that mistake at their peril.

Dusan’s consistency has really started to show up as glue guy which is rare for a big man.
He's what you'd want in a senior in that way. Doesn't get down with a slow start, just keeps doing his thing and rolling along.

The only non-Dusan thing he's done all year was the 3 vs Utah. Everything else, Dusan is just Dusan 24/7. I can't think of a player that was quite so defined in terms of what you get, both positive and negative. Dusan has maximized his time here.