Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by pc in NM »

UAtrue wrote:
qwertyus wrote:Such bullshit. We're being looked at like we're in the WCC, meanwhile, teams like North Carolina have 7 losses at #19 (they'll drop, but Clemson will just replace them). And they haven't even looked good in their wins...

Meanwhile, Texas will get talked about as a tourney team at 15-8, having just beaten an Oklahoma team ranked 12th, that is 16-6. Because the media has decreed the Big 12 as a great conference, losses won't hurt, and wins will count as wins against tourney teams, so despite 5 or 6 teams finishing with 10-12 losses, they'll still get 8 or 9 teams in.

Florida, a 3-point team with not much else, who lost to goddamn Loyola Chicago, just got shellacked at home by Alabama, which leaves both at 15-8. But, since the SEC is considered good, both of those teams are tourney bound, despite the fact that it's a conference led by an Auburn team of nobodies lead by Bruce f*cking Pearl! Mizzou, led by Cal reject Cuonzo Martin, just knocked off UK. Guess who's still in the tourney conversation at 15-8?

I understand that the PAC12 did poorly out of conference. But I'm not seeing great teams anywhere else in the country now. Because if there were any, mediocre-to-shitty schools wouldn't be handing out L's every week to these supposedly good ranked teams!
This has been happening repeatedly the past few years; but more so this year than last....sorta like SEC football teams always being more highly ranked than non-SEC teams, even when they play as weak of a OOC schedule.
Here's what Arizona is up against:

Play in the West - late games not viewed by many

So many games not on National TV (Please STFU about Pac-12 Network - its NOT National TV, period!)

Early season, embarrassing losses - regardless of injury, only Purdue was a credible opponent

Play in a weak conference that few are familiar with - losses to Washington and Colorado hurt perception.

Life is unfair.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

BTW the first tournament seedings will be revealed this Saturday. I'm guessing 4 seed (#13-14).
NYCat wrote:
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

This team just might not make it past the first weekend. I’m getting myself prepared for another letdown (ala Wichita State first round loss). What a waste of talent. Of course that is to be expected when you have a very mediocre and small PG coupled with a team that plays crappy defense.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Decisive wins by Alabama and A&M this weekend against Tennessee and Kentucky. I seeing references that "Arizona's resume isn't all that good." I think the A&M win was huge. They were unbeaten and it was before their suspensions and injuries sidetracked their season. And 'Bama is a solid tourney team. Likely an 8-9 seed.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’d be thrilled with a 4 seed in the West. That’s a very favorable outcome given how the season began.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CBS just ran their show covering the top 16 teams. We were still the 4 out west but with Purdue, Kansas and North Carolina.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote:CBS just ran their show covering the top 16 teams. We were still the 4 out west but with Purdue, Kansas and North Carolina.
We really want to get to a 2 or 3. If we are still a 4, we have a legit shot.

Must beat ASU
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:CBS just ran their show covering the top 16 teams. We were still the 4 out west but with Purdue, Kansas and North Carolina.

Must beat ASU
Must go undefeated over the next 8 games.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Must beat ASU
We will be fine with 7-1
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We can afford to lose 1 more reg season game. Any more than that, and we’re begging the selection committee to send us back east with a 5 seed.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Must beat ASU
We will be fine with 7-1
Undefeated the next 8 the West 2 is possible. 7-1 or 6-2 with the PAC12 tournament title should be enough for the 3.

asu is a must win though. They are the one threat to get a West top seed in the PAC12
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just play with the same Intensity and focus as last night and I think things will take care of itself
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Must beat ASU
We will be fine with 7-1
Depends on who that 1 is to and where it takes place.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have wondered how the committee with treat the FBI schools and maybe give them a tougher draw or maybe they won't care?

I don't see with our resume even if we get 7 more wins how we get anything better than a 4 seed
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Talk of a 2 seed is nuts. That went out the door with the UCLA loss. I suppose a 3 is possible if we don’t lose again before Selection Sunday. But a 4 feels most likely.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I think the Cats can lose one more game and get a #4 if they win the Pac-12 tournament.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Irish27 wrote:I think the Cats can lose one more game and get a #4 if they win the Pac-12 tournament.
Yep. Obviously it helps if the one loss is to a tourney-bound team, but losing only one more reg season game means we’re Pac champs. That’s a strong resume builder, even in a down year for the league.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The committee guy on CBS said the thing they are looking more closely at this year are road victories including neutral sites.

Thought they've stated that in years past but whatever.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:Talk of a 2 seed is nuts. That went out the door with the UCLA loss. I suppose a 3 is possible if we don’t lose again before Selection Sunday. But a 4 feels most likely.

The NCAA just put out their official top 16 rankings as of today.

We are listed as the #14 team (A 4 seed)

2 spots higher (#12) and we will be a 3 seed

6 spots higher (8) and we will be a 2 seed.

There are 4 weeks to go. Moving up 6 spots is not that hard to do in a month as long as we are winning.

I'm not saying this team is capable of going something like 7-1 to finish the year... but it is certainly not nuts.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Talk of a 2 seed is nuts. That went out the door with the UCLA loss. I suppose a 3 is possible if we don’t lose again before Selection Sunday. But a 4 feels most likely.

The NCAA just put out their official top 16 rankings as of today.

We are listed as the #14 team (A 4 seed)

2 spots higher (#12) and we will be a 3 seed

6 spots higher (8) and we will be a 2 seed.

There are 4 weeks to go. Moving up 6 spots is not that hard to do in a month as long as we are winning.

I'm not saying this team is capable of going something like 7-1 to finish the year... but it is certainly not nuts.
Fair enough, Alie.

I think I'm just trying to balance what I know about this team with the unbridled optimism that tends to emerge this time of year. There are a lot of moving parts here, and we don't know what the teams currently slotted as 2 and 3 seeds are going to do these next few weeks. So while I think a 4 is most likely, a higher seed isn't yet out of the question. If we win on Thursday, I'll definitely warm up to the idea of grabbing a 3 (or 2!).
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

A 4 seed is probably likely given the play of this team... All I'm saying is if we go on a hot streak (unlikely) we are currently in position to move up to a #2.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Purdue would spank us again, assuming we make the S16
campjl00

Post by campjl00 »

TatetheGreat wrote:Purdue would spank us again, assuming we make the S16
Of the possible #1 seeds, I agree that Purdue and Nova are the worst for us. Honestly, though, other than those two teams (plus Duke), I think we would beat the rest on that top 16 list. I would jump at the chance to play any of them (especially Clemson, Auburn, Texas Tech, Cincinatti)...
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

campjl00 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Purdue would spank us again, assuming we make the S16
Of the possible #1 seeds, I agree that Purdue and Nova are the worst for us. Honestly, though, other than those two teams (plus Duke), I think we would beat the rest on that top 16 list. I would jump at the chance to play any of them (especially Clemson, Auburn, Texas Tech, Cincinatti)...

A week ago I would have agreed with this...actually 2 days ago I would have agreed...but there is a rather silent trajectory that is gaining momentum and that is Dusan and the bench starting to play defense and score...we actually don't need a LOT from these metrics just maybe 25% more than the rest of the season...

I we play Ayton against Purdues big they don't scare me as much...it sort of evens out the playing field and I think the rest of our team is better.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Can someone explain to me why in the heck Xavier is getting mentioned as a 1 seed? Their resume seems pretty damn meh to me.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RaisingArizona wrote:Can someone explain to me why in the heck Xavier is getting mentioned as a 1 seed? Their resume seems pretty damn meh to me.
Would absolutely love for us to be a 4 seed with Xavier as the #1 in the region.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RaisingArizona wrote:Can someone explain to me why in the heck Xavier is getting mentioned as a 1 seed? Their resume seems pretty damn meh to me.
Agreed. They don’t have a 1 seed-ish resume. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the top seeds end up being Nova, UVA, MSU, and Purdue.

Wow. There are truly no unbeatables this year. No teams that just look like a lock for the FF. I expect upsets galore. Great year for low seeds to get far.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

If we could swap Purdue for Virginia that would be my dream bracket. I don't believe in KU or UNC and while UVA has a historic defense they don't have much offense and they play the packline we know so well. I think we could pick it apart. Wouldn't mind a Xavier rematch, though I think Coach Mack would find a way to pester Ayton out of the post, which has been a bit of a thorn in our heel in bad games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:If we could swap Purdue for Virginia that would be my dream bracket. I don't believe in KU or UNC and while UVA has a historic defense they don't have much offense and they play the packline we know so well. I think we could pick it apart. Wouldn't mind a Xavier rematch, though I think Coach Mack would find a way to pester Ayton out of the post, which has been a bit of a thorn in our heel in bad games.
We've got history with Xavier, Nova, Purdue, MSU, Duke...I say bring it on. If this team is gonna go where we want them to, these match-ups with heavyweights are inevitable. I don't care if they happen in the S-16 or later. If the season's on the line, might as well be against a team with the prestige and hype that this group has.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Love the Stewart Mandel bracket today. 4 in the west but manageable.

Side note, asu is a six seed right now. New Mexico State is a 12. If GCU can beat NMSU in the WAC tournament there is a good chance asu and GCU play each other.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Why is Purdue a bad match up for us? I know, I know...the Bahamas. Don’t think we’re the same team. They’ve got two 7 footers. So do we. Our backcourt is arguably better. I’d rather face Painter than Izzo.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

As far as moving up, we are never going to move ahead of the current top 4 (Nova, Virginia, Purdue and Xavier)

So, I'm going to keep track of the W/L record of teams 5-16 for the rest of the year since the top 16 announcement, to see realistically where we are in the pecking order.

I'll keep updating this list

Kansas (plays today)
Auburn
Duke
Cincinnati
Clemson
Michigan St. (plays today)
Texas Tech (plays today)
North Carolina (1-0)
Tennessee (plays today)
Ohio State
Arizona
Oklahoma
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:As far as moving up, we are never going to move ahead of the current top 4 (Nova, Virginia, Purdue and Xavier)

So, I'm going to keep track of the W/L record of teams 5-16 for the rest of the year since the top 16 announcement, to see realistically where we are in the pecking order.

Kansas (plays today)
Auburn
Duke
Cincinnati
Clemson
Texas Tech (plays today)
North Carolina (1-0)
Tennessee (plays today)
Ohio State
Arizona
Oklahoma
In addition to W/L records of the above, could you also establish differing weights of wins and losses as related to home and away games, strength of opponents, and azcat49's "eye test" divided by the amount of potential top 4-seed's games he watches, but stretched along a analytically-determined curve advertisement-induced snack distractions?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:

In addition to W/L records of the above, could you also establish differing weights of wins and losses as related to home and away games, strength of opponents, and azcat49's "eye test" divided by the amount of potential top 4-seed's games he watches, but stretched along a analytically-determined curve advertisement-induced snack distractions?
Absolutely.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:As far as moving up, we are never going to move ahead of the current top 4 (Nova, Virginia, Purdue and Xavier)

Kansas (plays today)
Auburn
Duke
Cincinnati
Clemson
Texas Tech (plays today)
North Carolina (1-0)
Tennessee (plays today)
Ohio State
Arizona
Oklahoma
Great idea, thank you for doing this.

As far as a deeper dive on quality of opponent, home vs road, etc - a tracking of the team sheets is probably the easiest way to accomplish that. The nitty gritty report in particular does a good job of summarizing teams for comparison and the NCAA updates those daily.

Team sheets and nitty gritty reports located here.

That aspect is a bigger job, and maybe it's best if that's done separately - maybe weekly, following the other above simple tracking.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:
I'll take it. Not afraid of Duke, Cincy is hit or miss, not afraid of Creighton, not afraid of Michigan.

All of this is dumb because it's going to move - still 8 games or so to be played.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I'll take it. Not afraid of Duke, Cincy is hit or miss, not afraid of Creighton, not afraid of Michigan.

All of this is dumb because it's going to move - still 8 games or so to be played.
It's all about matchups. I could honestly care less about our seed. Who we face is the massively relevant detail that so much is left to learn about.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Let's hope there are 8 more games before the NCAA
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

It's all about matchups. I could honestly care less about our seed. Who we face is the massively relevant detail that so much is left to learn about.
Stewart Mandel is the one to focus on then
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Updated after Wednesday games

Kansas (1-0)
Auburn (1-0)
Duke (1-0)
Cincinnati (plays today)
Clemson (0-1)
Michigan St. (1-0)
Texas Tech (1-0)
North Carolina (1-0)
Tennessee (1-0)
Ohio State (plays today)
Arizona (plays today)
Oklahoma (0-1)
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Updated after Thursday games

Since Purdue is on a 3 game losing streak, I'm adding them to the list so this is now teams 4-16.

So far this week, 4 teams on this list ahead of AZ have a loss.

Purdue (0-1)
Kansas (1-0)
Auburn (1-0)
Duke (1-0)
Cincinnati (0-1)
Clemson (0-1)
Michigan St. (1-0)
Texas Tech (1-0)
North Carolina (1-0)
Tennessee (1-0)
Ohio State (0-1)
Arizona (1-0)
Oklahoma (0-1)
cats101

Post by cats101 »

ESPN now has Auburn our Arizona's #1 seed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I like.

The win and vacate bracket with Miami, Louisville and usc I hope.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

CalStateTempe wrote:I like.

The win and vacate bracket with Miami, Louisville and usc I hope.
:lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:Updated after Thursday games

Since Purdue is on a 3 game losing streak, I'm adding them to the list so this is now teams 4-16.

So far this week, 4 teams on this list ahead of AZ have a loss.

Purdue (0-1)
Kansas (1-0)
Auburn (1-0)
Duke (1-0)
Cincinnati (0-1)
Clemson (0-1)
Michigan St. (1-0)
Texas Tech (1-0)
North Carolina (1-0)
Tennessee (1-0)
Ohio State (0-1)
Arizona (1-0)
Oklahoma (0-1)
Good tracking
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

cats101 wrote:ESPN now has Auburn our Arizona's #1 seed.
With 2 Kansas and 3 North Carolina playing in Wichita. This bracket would be optimal.