2017/2018 PG

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Postmaster

Re: 2017/2018 PG

Post by Postmaster »

I don't think Trier should be playing pg as a starter.
imo he and Alkins are similar in that they both can dribble in traffic when looking to score but are not very good doing it when trying to facilitate others' scoring.

He has gotten better at point but not enough to do starting minutes.

It's too bad Akot has been injured. He looks like he has potential to be a back up pg.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The unsatisfying answer is that the guards and wing all need to work harder to cover up as much as possible Cartwright’s inability to guard any opponent who shoots or drives. Alkins can’t get lost and Trier needs to try try try try and try harder.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote:It's too bad Akot has been injured. He looks like he has potential to be a back up pg.
Akot has obvious athleticism. He's just raw as hell. Needs more game minutes. I'd love to see Sean get him 8 to 10 minutes per game beginning this week. Whatever happens the rest of the way this season, I do expect Akot to be an important player next year.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:The unsatisfying answer is that the guards and wing all need to work harder to cover up as much as possible Cartwright’s inability to guard any opponent who shoots or drives. Alkins can’t get lost and Trier needs to try try try try and try harder.
Is my memory faulty (I'm a baby boomer after all), but wasn't there an exquisite Trier drive-and-lob-from-the-paint to an Ayton jam many games back? I had visions then of Kentucky-style offense that have abandoned me of late. Anyone recall that? It seems as if a dream ....
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Whenever I see Trier running point, it always seems the other team traps him when he brings the ball down the court and he has a hard time beating it. He seems to look somewhat panicked.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Whenever I see Trier running point, it always seems the other team traps him when he brings the ball down the court and he has a hard time beating it. He seems to look somewhat panicked.
Correct, and do you know why that is?

He is not a point guard. PJC laughs at a two man "press". Hell, I would laugh at a two man press and I didn't play college basketball. But if you're not a point guard you're not confident you can get by it.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Exactly. And that is why CSM should NOT bench PJC and let Trier run point.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

dcZONAfan wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:Whenever I see Trier running point, it always seems the other team traps him when he brings the ball down the court and he has a hard time beating it. He seems to look somewhat panicked.
Correct, and do you know why that is?

He is not a point guard. PJC laughs at a two man "press". Hell, I would laugh at a two man press and I didn't play college basketball. But if you're not a point guard you're not confident you can get by it.
I don't recall the last time Trier got trapped effectively. In fact I recall much more often that Trier blows through the trap and picks up the blocking foul off of the defender. He got Derryck Thornton in the USC game, most recently.

I'd much rather have Trier going 1v2 in the backcourt than PJC doing the same.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I seem to recall Trier picking up more offensive fouls bringing the ball up.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last 4 games:

Trier
17 rebounds
10 assists
4 turnovers
75 points

PJC
5 rebounds
17 assists
8 turnovers
20 points

I actually really like Trier at point. PJC can probably dribble the ball down the court a little quicker, but seems to me PJC really likes taking his time to setup the offense, giving the opponents plenty of time to setup their defense.

Even when the Cats are down with just a couple minutes left PJC doesn't push it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Last 4 games:

Trier
17 rebounds
10 assists
4 turnovers
75 points

PJC
5 rebounds
17 assists
8 turnovers
20 points

I actually really like Trier at point. PJC can probably dribble the ball down the court a little quicker, but seems to me PJC really likes taking his time to setup the offense, giving the opponents plenty of time to setup their defense.

Even when the Cats are down with just a couple minutes left PJC doesn't push it.
Why not both?

Parker doesn't push in part because he can't get into the lane and finish like Zo. He's an unselfish player, but he's not the creator you want at PG, and it's in such large part due to him having problems finishing. When he gets into the lane, no one has to play him to score.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Was PJC playing the 2 at any point in Merkin's stats?

Stop comparing stats with Trier. No guard can compare with that efficiency.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Trier
17 rebounds
10 assists
4 turnovers
75 points

PJC
5 rebounds
17 assists
8 turnovers
20 points

Are these when Trier is playing the point? If not the stats don't compare to say anything of value
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:

Trier
17 rebounds
10 assists
4 turnovers
75 points

PJC
5 rebounds
17 assists
8 turnovers
20 points

Are these when Trier is playing the point? If not the stats don't compare to say anything of value
How is it possible to argue Trier should get more point time without extrapolating? That's sort of the point of it all.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is my memory faulty (I'm a baby boomer after all), but wasn't there an exquisite Trier drive-and-lob-from-the-paint to an Ayton jam many games back? I had visions then of Kentucky-style offense that have abandoned me of late. Anyone recall that? It seems as if a dream ....[/quote]

I believe you are thinking of Dusan throwing lobs to Ayton.
He is the answer at PG.

:D :D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was wrong, Trier is a terrible PG.

Needs another year to come back and work on it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PJC not fouling out (until the very end) is the reason we won tonight. No way we come back and hold the lead if he is on the bench.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Yeah, without PJC, we lose this game. Anyone who says to sit Parker in favor of Trier running point is a moron. It was so evident tonight that this team is so much better when PJC is in the game.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

It’s all about matchups w PJC.

He is a great matchup v ASU and their quick little guards. Against bigger, expierienced guards who play mostly in the half court ..... not so much.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Ayton is obviously the player of the game tonight, but that was PJC's best defensive game of his life.

If PJC can continue to play solid defense.... the sky is the limit

Great game PJC!!!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Ayton is obviously the player of the game tonight, but that was PJC's best defensive game of his life.

If PJC can continue to play solid defense.... the sky is the limit

Great game PJC!!!!!
Truly great. And great coaching to believe in him and let him rise to the occasion.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I SEE YOU PJC! Where you been?

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

At his diminutive size, PJC needs to be a burr in the ass of opposing point guards. That HAS TO BE his game. He doesn't need to try to force turnovers and get in foul trouble, just get into the "bubble" of the opponent and make life miserable. That kind of defense causes disruption for an opponent trying to get into their offense. PJC did it great against Thompson of Oregon State, too. Have to have that mentality.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

That PJC steal sealed the game and I couldn’t be happier. The midget with the heart of a monster! Trier let PJC dribble it out to end the game too - good look.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

'97 - We can win with this current PJC - yes?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I think we can. But we need him to do it for every game after the first round i think. So 5 straight games of in your pocket D, timely 3s , and a 2.5:1 or greater a/to ratio. Tall order but I’ve seen greater senior swan songs.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

for this Arizona team is the steady play and continued maturation and on court success of the PG -- Parker Jackson-Cartwright.

the CATS are loaded with star power and experience -- the TEAM overall seems to be hitting its stride at the most opportune time.

the gaps in play this season have been difficult to explain, and the noise off the floor has caused distractions, but whats been clear to me, when Arizona gets PG play of the solid to above average variety they are as intimidating, powerful, and dangerous as any team in the nation, that has been proven all season and was true again in the Conf Tournament.

in Vegas, Arizona was able to withstand some of the lulls and inconsistencies from their marquee players and navigate through some of the peeks and valleys that have plagued them all season, and it was because the PG was the leading and steadying force on the floor organizing his teammates, making positive and impactful winning plays while controlling the game.

on the contrary, when its play from the point of attack is below average, the margin for error from the surrounding parts become razor thin, and an off night can look ugly. the team has seen leads vaporize and non linear moments through many of its games this season, a big part of that was the inconsistency at the point of attack on both ends of the floor.

Arizona had many stretches this year where they had trouble both getting stops and organizing offense.

the mixed bag from the group was on display again in Vegas, with Ayton having a tough opening game and Trier having trouble fining his rhythm on offense in the semi and final -- insert the much maligned Parker Jackson-Cartwright who picked up the slack and had his best three game stretch of his career on both ends of the floor, leading Arizona to the Conf Tourney Title -- operating and performing with a confidence and swagger not seen often if ever from PJC at this level, functioning as the real ROCK of the team for the first time in his career.

his line over those three games:

35mpg | 52.3%fg | 50%3pt | 62.5%ft | 4apg | 3rpg | 2spg | 1.6tpg | 11.6ppg

if Cartwright can continue his recent level of play this weekend and into next, i believe Arizona will make its first Final Four.

all the emotion and energy is in place for a storybook run, including a team and program feeling overlooked, a tad slighted, and disrespected -- Arizona will take on the us against the world mentality on the road with Cartwright smack dab in the middle of the no respect story-line.

over four years Parker Jackson Cartwright has been a great teammate, student, and soldier of the program.

right or wrong, he has often been under a tight microscope continually critiqued for his up and down play. to his credit, he has not wavered one bit, continuing to believe in himself and his capabilities when many didnt.

he has taken on the attitude of a winner down the stretch of his senior season, he deserves to be commended for his growth in Vegas -- now its his opportunity now to continue to leave his mark on this program and on his coach at the most opportune time, March.

imo, his play, leadership, and attitude was the most important piece to the TEAM coming into the season; nothing has changed in March expect for the growth in his play and leadership, which took a giant tick up in Vegas.

when Arizona gets solid to above average play from the point of attack on both ends of the floor Arizona is extremely difficult to beat, that was proven again last weekend.
as further evidence in the Pac12 Tournament, both Ayton and Trier had off nights respectively that would of certainly buried this team two months ago, but Jackson-Cartwright wouldnt let it happen, and led the ship when it sorely needed leading, stepping up and taking on the responsibility to organize the TEAM and play his best inspirational basketball -- it lifted the rest of his teammates up and he willed team to victories.

with a guy like Ayton, and to a certain extent Trier and Ristic, solid to above average PG play is the difference -- when all the pieces come together, and Cartwright maintains his above average tight play in unison with the other ELITE parts, it catapults Arizona into its most formidable form.

so while Ayton will be Ayton and Trier most likely will be Trier, it's Parker Jackson-Cartwright who is the most important piece on this TEAM.

he has in front of him exactly what hes always wanted, the opportunity to lead this team and program to somewhere its never been before with Sean Miller as the head man -- a Final Four.

thats something TJ McConnell, Mark Lyons, Momo Jones, and Kadeem Allen cant say

stay tuned....
Last edited by 97cats on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Great post '97

Can someone explain why Greg Hansen decides to take a cheap shot at PJC today... right after PJC is playing the best basketball of his life?

I really can't explain it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:Great post '97

Can someone explain why Greg Hansen decides to take a cheap shot at PJC today... right after PJC is playing the best basketball of his life?

He's a douche?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hope you guys are Twitter are lighting old Greg up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Great post '97

Book Richardson told him to do it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:I hope you guys are Twitter are lighting old Greg up.

Oh it's quite active.... I just checked... 73 replies to that tweet so far... and not a single one is being very kind to Greggy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wonder if Miller will use the "we are not respected" card that Lute used many times with great success. Miller doesn't seem to roll that way as he embraces the expectations that come from being at AZ.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Great post 97! Can't wait for Thursday night. Ride or Die U of A vs. the world
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azcat49 wrote:I wonder if Miller will use the "we are not respected" card that Lute used many times with great success. Miller doesn't seem to roll that way as he embraces the expectations that come from being at AZ.
I don't know that these guys are doing "emotional bulletin board" material. I think they're hardened against all of the noise.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I've been a very harsh critic of PJC. But I think the criticism has been warranted. It was never an attack on his character. I'm extremely happy to see his improvement. I do fear he will be outplayed and that single factor will be the end of our season.

I'm pulling for PJC, because without him we wouldn't be where we are. And we can't get to where we want to go without him.

However, we can survive a mediocre game from him if Alkins and Trier have big games. Neither shot the ball well in Vegas. If they can get hot, holy shit we'll be a force.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Great post 97. Well said.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:for this Arizona team is the steady play and continued maturation and on court success of the PG -- Parker Jackson-Cartwright.

the CATS are loaded with star power and experience -- the TEAM overall seems to be hitting its stride at the most opportune time.

the gaps in play this season have been difficult to explain, and the noise off the floor has caused distractions, but whats been clear to me, when Arizona gets PG play of the solid to above average variety they are as intimidating, powerful, and dangerous as any team in the nation, that has been proven all season and was true again in the Conf Tournament.

in Vegas, Arizona was able to withstand some of the lulls and inconsistencies from their marquee players and navigate through some of the peeks and valleys that have plagued them all season, and it was because the PG was the leading and steadying force on the floor organizing his teammates, making positive and impactful winning plays while controlling the game.

on the contrary, when its play from the point of attack is below average, the margin for error from the surrounding parts become razor thin, and an off night can look ugly. the team has seen leads vaporize and non linear moments through many of its games this season, a big part of that was the inconsistency at the point of attack on both ends of the floor.

Arizona had many stretches this year where they had trouble both getting stops and organizing offense.

the mixed bag from the group was on display again in Vegas, with Ayton having a tough opening game and Trier having trouble fining his rhythm on offense in the semi and final -- insert the much maligned Parker Jackson-Cartwright who picked up the slack and had his best three game stretch of his career on both ends of the floor, leading Arizona to the Conf Tourney Title -- operating and performing with a confidence and swagger not seen often if ever from PJC at this level, functioning as the real ROCK of the team for the first time in his career.

his line over those three games:

35mpg | 52.3%fg | 50%3pt | 62.5%ft | 4apg | 3rpg | 2spg | 1.6tpg | 11.6ppg

if Cartwright can continue his recent level of play this weekend and into next, i believe Arizona will make its first Final Four.

all the emotion and energy is in place for a storybook run, including a team and program feeling overlooked, a tad slighted, and disrespected -- Arizona will take on the us against the world mentality on the road with Cartwright smack dab in the middle of the no respect story-line.

over four years Parker Jackson Cartwright has been a great teammate, student, and soldier of the program.

right or wrong, he has often been under a tight microscope continually critiqued for his up and down play. to his credit, he has not wavered one bit, continuing to believe in himself and his capabilities when many didnt.

he has taken on the attitude of a winner down the stretch of his senior season, he deserves to be commended for his growth in Vegas -- now its his opportunity now to continue to leave his mark on this program and on his coach at the most opportune time, March.

imo, his play, leadership, and attitude was the most important piece to the TEAM coming into the season; nothing has changed in March expect for the growth in his play and leadership, which took a giant tick up in Vegas.

when Arizona gets solid to above average play from the point of attack on both ends of the floor Arizona is extremely difficult to beat, that was proven again last weekend.
as further evidence in the Pac12 Tournament, both Ayton and Trier had off nights respectively that would of certainly buried this team two months ago, but Jackson-Cartwright wouldnt let it happen, and led the ship when it sorely needed leading, stepping up and taking on the responsibility to organize the TEAM and play his best inspirational basketball -- it lifted the rest of his teammates up and he willed team to victories.

with a guy like Ayton, and to a certain extent Trier and Ristic, solid to above average PG play is the difference -- when all the pieces come together, and Cartwright maintains his above average tight play in unison with the other ELITE parts, it catapults Arizona into its most formidable form.

so while Ayton will be Ayton and Trier most likely will be Trier, it's Parker Jackson-Cartwright who is the most important piece on this TEAM.

he has in front of him exactly what hes always wanted, the opportunity to lead this team and program to somewhere its never been before with Sean Miller as the head man -- a Final Four.

thats something TJ McConnell, Mark Lyons, Momo Jones, and Kadeem Allen cant say

stay tuned....
I like this post. I hope to never argue with you ever again...and I know you feel the same. Fingers crossed on staying tuned.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

YoDeFoe wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I wonder if Miller will use the "we are not respected" card that Lute used many times with great success. Miller doesn't seem to roll that way as he embraces the expectations that come from being at AZ.
I don't know that these guys are doing "emotional bulletin board" material. I think they're hardened against all of the noise.
That strategy is still used, for sure. They are reminded about everything constantly. Fuel the fire.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

flatline
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ouch
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Awful way to end your career being the worst guard on the floor.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Merkin wrote:Awful way to end your career being the worst guard on the floor.
Clark manhandled him while Cartwright’s play seemed to paralyze his team - Arizona looked confused, insecure, and sad - just like the PG
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Worst pg in school history that ever started...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

97cats wrote:
Clark manhandled him while Cartwright’s play seemed to paralyze his team - Arizona looked confused, insecure, and sad - just like the PG
Ayton not playing any help-side defense made this problem 10x worse
97cats

Post by 97cats »

NYCat wrote:
i have no idea how you or anyone else can shift any of the PG blame on either end of the floor to any other player on the floor.

Arizona basketball looks/looked scared, insecure, and sad - just like it’s PG.

fitting given the circumstance
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

NYCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Ayton hid how much of a weakness PJC truly is all season and tonight he was massively exposed. PJC got abused and didn't respond he curled up in the fetal possession and let his team get thier asses handed to them by 20. I'm as mad at Trier but it's PJCs job to hold Trier and the team accountable to play the right way. PJCs body language in the 1st half was all you had to see to know we would loose. Face some real competition and he is exposed and curls up in a ball.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Of course most of the blame is on the weakness of the point of attack on both sides, but having Ayton chasing a small 4 made the perimeter defense into layup drills for Buffalo. But that's on Miller just like having PJC as your only PG.

The complete lack of good guard play has killed every season after the 2015 season. Weak at the point is a trickle down effect. That has been Miller's weakness, PJC (even Kadeem Allen) should've never been a starter at Arizona, completely unfathomable.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

NYCat wrote:Of course most of the blame is on the weakness of the point of attack on both sides, but having Ayton chasing a small 4 made the perimeter defense into layup drills for Buffalo. But that's on Miller just like having PJC as your only PG.

The complete lack of good guard play has killed every season after the 2015 season. Weak at the point is a trickle down effect. That has been Miller's weakness, PJC (even Kadeem Allen) should've never been a starter at Arizona, completely unfathomable.
yes to ALL!