Brandon Williams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Brandon Williams

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Hoping Brandon Williams doesn't know something we don't know.
I don't know Brandon Williams, but here's my best logic here:

Right now things are looking better, but it's a long way from secure. Even if Miller beat back the wire talk, we're still on the hook for Book.

If I'm Williams, I'd want to see that guys like Randolph, Akot and Lee are sticking it out. He doesn't want to be a PG with no one to pass to.

It all leads to this, he needs a Plan A and Plan B. Are we A or B? I don't balme him for having a Plan B, though. ESPN screwed us hard even if that report is completely debunked.
Is Williams decommittal indicative of Miller not being back next year?
I think it's indicative of the general instability, sound and fury surrounding our program. Whether that sound/fury signifies anything...?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The massive erection I was carrying around for the last 24 hours is gone.

As of now, Alex Barcello will be our starting point guard next season. Let that sink in.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

rgdeuce wrote:The massive erection I was carrying around for the last 24 hours is gone.

As of now, Alex Barcello will be our starting point guard next season. Let that sink in.
Wouldn't be surprised if he is off to Grand Canyon or something. He could put up good numbers against their competition.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

1 month.... put away all bad juju for 1 month.... enjoy it
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Are you guys virtue signaling that the new player we should gripe over is Barcello now that Ristic is decent?

I’m holding out he’ll make his sophomore jump. Plus he has a year in the system under his belt.

Edit: what alieb said.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Can we get a reverse loop of the star spangled eagle boner to close this thread? Only to be re-opened with the original star spangled eagle boner gif if there is a re-commit?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:The massive erection I was carrying around for the last 24 hours is gone.

We do not know that. Let it play out. In 2009, our recruiting class was zilch and that worked out ok

I never worry about recruits until they are on campus. Until then they its just a Fiction book
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

phenom5 wrote:Can we get a reverse loop of the star spangled eagle boner to close this thread? Only to be re-opened with the original star spangled eagle boner gif if there is a re-commit?
After yesterday, my star spangled boner is still in full effect. We can survive this. Oregon survived after like 5 players left or got booted a couple years ago.

Side note: star spangled boner is my new favorite phrase.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Time to move this to Arch Rivals?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Alieberman wrote:1 month.... put away all bad juju for 1 month.... enjoy it

Totally with you on this. I am not even going to call anyone a commie here until the tournament is over. There is to much to enjoy right now to get negative.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:Time to move this to Arch Rivals?
Maybe I'm naieve, but he's not gone yet. He explicitly left the door open...hopefully for a reason.
BE4RDOWN21

Post by BE4RDOWN21 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Maybe I'm naieve, but he's not gone yet. He explicitly left the door open...hopefully for a reason.
Unless some of these mouth breathers that call themselves fans, steer him away with some of their bullshit comments on his twitter. smh
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

rgdeuce wrote:
I wouldn't blame him for leaving considering all the BS we have gone through and the reality of serious injury already hitting him. That said, he would have a chance to improve his stock on a team that would be essentially his. He seems a half-step slow on both ends this year (could be the injury), which I'm guessing would cause many teams to pause on taking him when you factor in the inconsistent shooting thus far (could be because of him missing so much time).
The "we didn't want him anyway" excuse.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Bummer.
Tough to blame a kid for seeking stability.
Moving on....
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Is he gone?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Is he gone?

Reopened his "commitment".
-JB
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Nice
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BE4RDOWN21 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Unless some of these mouth breathers that call themselves fans, steer him away with some of their bullshit comments on his twitter. smh
I hate those dumbasses. Way to eff us further for a decision that's understandable and kill what hope we have left.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Well, can't say I wouldn't have done the same. Hope he makes a good decision, respect the way he did it more than an LOL tweet. That was poopy.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Well, can't say I wouldn't have done the same. Hope he makes a good decision, respect the way he did it more than an LOL tweet. That was poopy.
97cats was on here talking about Miller and Arizona being an inevitable split up until the press conference. I mean, I love Arizona, but it isn't hard to understand why we're having difficulty locking people in right now. I can't fault Williams or Shareef.
prh

Post by prh »

enfuego wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
I wouldn't blame him for leaving considering all the BS we have gone through and the reality of serious injury already hitting him. That said, he would have a chance to improve his stock on a team that would be essentially his. He seems a half-step slow on both ends this year (could be the injury), which I'm guessing would cause many teams to pause on taking him when you factor in the inconsistent shooting thus far (could be because of him missing so much time).
That post is talking about Rawle. Nice try though. GTFO
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

enfuego wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

-JB
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

enfuego wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
I knew you were a failure at trolling, and life, but reading comprehension too?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Well, can't say I wouldn't have done the same. Hope he makes a good decision, respect the way he did it more than an LOL tweet. That was poopy.
97cats was on here talking about Miller and Arizona being an inevitable split up until the press conference. I mean, I love Arizona, but it isn't hard to understand why we're having difficulty locking people in right now. I can't fault Williams or Shareef.
I can't either, even though they aren't familiar with 97's reputation, but can pick it up from others here. If 97 says Miller and the UA may agree to mutually part after this season, we know for sure there has been at least some discussions on it between the 2 parties.

Both Reef and BDub no doubt contacted the coaching staff, and were unable to get a commitment that Miller will be here next year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CalStateTempe wrote:Are you guys virtue signaling that the new player we should gripe over is Barcello now that Ristic is decent?

I’m holding out he’ll make his sophomore jump. Plus he has a year in the system under his belt.

I don't want Barcello to leave at all. I still think he is gonna do great things for this program. I just don't want to be in a position were he is the starting PG of next year's team :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

After 4 years of PJC, I really don't think Barcello can be any worse.

Coaches seem to like his work ethic, ala TJ, and he is taller than PJC, and apparently the best practice shooter. Just gets the yips in games, although he did play well last week when Trier was out.

And yes, the Cats were playing the Sisters of Mercy, but this is still pretty impressive:

In his first three games at Arizona, the freshman point guard shot 7-12 from the field and 4-7 from 3, all while tallying 11 assists and zero turnovers.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It's funny that some people were on tbese boards last fall saying AB would be starting over PJC by conference games.
U.P. Zona Fan

Re: let's talk '18

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw I've got the perfect grad transfer PG in mind if Williams does bolt lol.
You know of any 4s or 5s? Any JUCO guys?
I listed a few grad transfer options who are 4s and 5s, here's a few:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... jah-minnie" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... on-menzies" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... n-mekowulu" target="_blank

Doesn't mean any of these guys will be grad transfers, but they would qualify to do so.

Here's the PG who could grad transfer:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... jon-elmore" target="_blank

As far as JUCOs go here's a list of a bunch of players. I'm not even going to attempt to begin navigating this stuff though.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2018top100rankings" target="_blank
-Norlander.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We will almost assuredly need 2-3 grad transfers or jucos next season to have any more than like 6-7 scholarship players. As is, we only have 6 scholarship players coming back next year barring any transfers or people leaving besides the 6 we know already that are gone.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Hey, how did that happen? Thought I messed that up
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Oh I did.
-Norlander.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

rgdeuce wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Are you guys virtue signaling that the new player we should gripe over is Barcello now that Ristic is decent?

I don't want Barcello to leave at all. I still think he is gonna do great things for this program. I just don't want to be in a position were he is the starting PG of next year's team :lol:
The way things are going with the decommits and possible transfers he may not have a choice.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who's going to transfer and sit out a whole year? Plenty of minutes next year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Captain Obvious

azcat49 wrote:Who's going to transfer and sit out a whole year? Plenty of minutes next year
I'm hoping the minutes is what persuades players on our current roster to stay next year. Immediate playing time and plenty of it.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Captain Obvious wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

The way things are going with the decommits and possible transfers he may not have a choice.
As disappointing as things have been, that would really suck for players to transfer out now. In the past pretty good players transferred because they saw the writing on the wall that they wouldn't be getting much playing time with incoming freshman. Playing time next season will not be a problem.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Now would be the time to self sanction a couples shcolies.
Probably only have 8-10 players anyway.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Postmaster wrote:Now would be the time to self sanction a couples shcolies.
Why would we do that before we have completed our internal investigation which is still ongoing?

Haven't we learned over the past week or so not to jump to conclusions until all of the facts are known?
Captain Obvious

EastCoastCat wrote:
Why would we do that before we have completed our internal investigation which is still ongoing?

Haven't we learned over the past week or so not to jump to conclusions until all of the facts are known?
I agree with this. To self sanction before the investigation is even over is an indication we've admitted guilt. Let's let the investigation run its course first before we make any unnecessary decisions.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Maybe everybody here but me knows the answer to this question, but what do precedents suggest would be the NCAA penalty for an assistant coach who admits to taking unreported money from a shoe company in exchange for influencing players' future careers? Obviously steeper than for a campus caught giving fake classes and unearned degrees to their student athletes, but what are we talking here?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Longhorned wrote:Maybe everybody here but me knows the answer to this question, but what do precedents suggest would be the NCAA penalty for an assistant coach who admits to taking unreported money from a shoe company in exchange for influencing players' future careers? Obviously steeper than for a campus caught giving fake classes and unearned degrees to their student athletes, but what are we talking here?
Good question.

This seems to be unchartered waters so who the hell knows? We all know the NCAA rule book is like 10 billion pages long but I doubt it covers this angle.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:Maybe everybody here but me knows the answer to this question, but what do precedents suggest would be the NCAA penalty for an assistant coach who admits to taking unreported money from a shoe company in exchange for influencing players' future careers? Obviously steeper than for a campus caught giving fake classes and unearned degrees to their student athletes, but what are we talking here?
Considering the punishment we got for an unwitting signature by Lute for something pizza related, we'll get the book thrown at us compared to the slap on the wrist for UNC.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Considering the punishment we got for an unwitting signature by Lute for something pizza related, we'll get the book thrown at us compared to the slap on the wrist for UNC.

Good ol' Jim Storey: http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 5dd85.html" target="_blank

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/sports/re ... iolations/" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is it possible we're not talking a big punishment here?

We acknowledge that, just because something isn't a crime, that doesn't mean it isn't an NCAA violation. But in this case it could be a crime, but not an NCAA violation. Kind of analogous to UNC, which was an heinous affront to higher education, but a campus rather than athletics matter.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

EastCoastCat wrote:

I'm not really suggesting that. I was just commenting that if we were to go that route, it would be A good time since it appears we will be undermanned anyway.

AZ has determined that Book did some stuff, they did fire him, so I think there will be some punishment.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Longhorned wrote:Is it possible we're not talking a big punishment here?

We acknowledge that, just because something isn't a crime, that doesn't mean it isn't an NCAA violation. But in this case it could be a crime, but not an NCAA violation. Kind of analogous to UNC, which was an heinous affront to higher education, but a campus rather than athletics matter.
Penn State, even if it completely disgusting, also wasn't an NCAA issue. Although they did get involved there. But then Penn State sued and won, NCAA revoked the sanctions/fine.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Not sure what the sanction would be book allegedly took money for a bribe according to dawkins. Did he actually get that money or was dawkins just hustling his bank rollers for his own benefit? Don't think we get a post season ban. A deep tournament run and we will be fine hell Williams might come back and a 5 star is still available. Don't count coach Miller out. He's always one step ahead.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Conspiracy to commit bribery, solicitation of bribes by an agent of a federally funded organization, conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, and wire fraud conspiracy and travel act conspiracy -- Book could plead guilty to, or be found guilty of, all of these charges. But none of them are NCAA violations.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just offered by Oregon.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just offered by Oregon.
The vultures are quick to arrive.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Well, since he said he hasn't closed the door on Arizona, I guess we will see if he waits until after the NCAA tourney to see if Miller is really staying. Maybe he waits until then to make a decision. I hope, anyway.