2018 PAC 12 Tournament--TMobile Arena

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Frybry02

Re: 2018 PAC 12 Tournament--TMobile Arena

Post by Frybry02 »

I wish I was there this year. Looking forward to attending next year ... I miss it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh I love beating UCLA. Ending their Pac season two years in a row is pure bliss.

How bout them Cats!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

usc looking good against oregon so far.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

All that talk about Dana Altman & Oregon being the premiere Pac 12 program can go fuck yourself. Ducks are NIT bound.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

USC is blowing out a tired team trying to play its third game in three days. Arizona got the UCLA special with OT. Got to think that will be factor. I mean, Ayton played 40 minutes.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'd like to wonder how an Oregon team that has scored 25 points in 24 minutes somehow had the firepower to beat Arizona, with or without Trier and Miller, at home or away.

I can't fathom how these Ducks, no matter how out of gas they are, scraped together 21 other wins this season. Uncle Phil magic, to be sure.

This is a three-bid conference now, and should be on its knees thanking Arizona for the other two.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

USC thinks T-Mobile a neutral site...even the commentator said "Yea there will only be about 15,000 UA fans here tomorrow...
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

He did.

On pregame he mentioned that Livengood knew they got in to big dance 4 hours before brackets were revealed, but he didn't tell KO. Just let him sweat it out.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:USC is blowing out a tired team trying to play its third game in three days. Arizona got the UCLA special with OT. Got to think that will be factor. I mean, Ayton played 40 minutes.
I’ll take that gutsy win and the heavy minutes. I think mentally that was a big for the team.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Postmaster wrote:He did.

On pregame he mentioned that Livengood knew they got in to big dance 4 hours before brackets were revealed, but he didn't tell KO. Just let him sweat it out.
lmao what?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:USC thinks T-Mobile a neutral site...even the commentator said "Yea there will only be about 15,000 UA fans here tomorrow...

Is this the first year that UofA spring break lined up with the PAC-12 tournament?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:USC thinks T-Mobile a neutral site...even the commentator said "Yea there will only be about 15,000 UA fans here tomorrow...

Is this the first year that UofA spring break lined up with the PAC-12 tournament?
Yeah normally today would be the first day of spring break, but they moved it up a week this year.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Surprised we opened at only a 1.5 point favorite. Moved to 3 now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote:Surprised we opened at only a 1.5 point favorite. Moved to 3 now.
OT legs
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So I went into the bathroom at T Mobile between games and some Oregon guy said what a great game Ayton had and he was a value at 100K.

OMG, Armageddon opened up on him. Every and I mean every cat fan shot back about how bogus the story was. It was a sight and sounds I will remember for a long while
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azcat49 wrote:So I went into the bathroom at T Mobile between games and some Oregon guy said what a great game Ayton had and he was a value at 100K.

OMG, Armageddon opened up on him. Every and I mean every cat fan shot back about how bogus the story was. It was a sight and sounds I will remember for a long while
Oregon fans throwing stones is quite hilarious...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:So I went into the bathroom at T Mobile between games and some Oregon guy said what a great game Ayton had and he was a value at 100K.

Oregon fans throwing stones is quite hilarious...

Exactly. Fuck the Ducks
-JB
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I was picking up my ticket at the Vivid tent, full of AZf fans - a Zero U guy walked by the back, called out "Cheaters!!...

... I, and two others called back: "Rapists!"
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pc in NM wrote:

I was picking up my ticket at the Vivid tent, full of AZf fans - a Zero U guy walked by the back, called out "Cheaters!!...

... I, and two others called back: "Rapists!"
to be honest, they probably have no idea what you're referencing

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Got an ASSU colleague of mine wanting to sell his two tickets on the concourse for $90 each if anyone is interested
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Most important question - did Olsondogg have a beer with Machina?
To be clear he said he'd buy him one, not drink one with him.

I bought him one after Rado game. I also did drink with him until my wife called and I had to take the call.

He returned the favor last night. Apparently I smell like a brewery according to my wife, now that I’m at home.

This trip was epic on several levels.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Is this were we should tell our Vegas stories?

O Dogg-Good dude Rolled with a great crew of guys too.

Saw Larry K at the shops at Planet Hollywood. Told him "Good luck coach in the NIT"

I was down 300 overall on the weekend so as I was leaving put $10 on two numbers at the roulette wheel and one of the hit so I ended up on the weekend.

Favorite part was a bunch of UCLA fans in 224 who were crying about all the UA fans and kept saying that UA fans were losers and that everyone hates UA. Then they got pretty loud right before OT then shut up real quick in OT and ran out of the building as fast as I have ever seen fans leave a game.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the last two posts in this threads make me happy
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Preseason Vegas tourney is on

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... vitational" target="_blank
LAS VEGAS -- North Carolina, UCLA, Michigan State and Texas will play in an early-season basketball tournament in Las Vegas.

The Las Vegas Invitational will include games at campus sites, then the final two rounds on Nov. 22-23 in Las Vegas. North Carolina will take on Texas in one semifinal, and Michigan State will face UCLA in the other.

The championship is scheduled for Nov. 23, and the semifinal losers also play each other that day.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:Preseason Vegas tourney is on

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... vitational" target="_blank
LAS VEGAS -- North Carolina, UCLA, Michigan State and Texas will play in an early-season basketball tournament in Las Vegas.

The Las Vegas Invitational will include games at campus sites, then the final two rounds on Nov. 22-23 in Las Vegas. North Carolina will take on Texas in one semifinal, and Michigan State will face UCLA in the other.

The championship is scheduled for Nov. 23, and the semifinal losers also play each other that day.
Great news. As all of us that have attended a game in Vegas (especially at TMobile, though Thomas Mack and the MGM are also useful)... can attest, it's a great location to host a tournament.

Here's hoping we get a game there next season so we can show off the three headed monster of BWill, Nicco, and Josh Green :D
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

If everything plays out as I expect on Saturday (and we beat asu) i think we wind up with an 8 seed playing either USC or Stanford in the 1st round on Wednesday. I've got my all session pass and am already packing.

Definitely NOT the match-up I hoped for. I was hoping to avoid UCLA/SC/Oregon. SC is a team with length and athleticism that plays a competent zone. We looked REALLY bad against them earlier this year. Hopefully, the presence of a semi-healthy Jeter can help even the score.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:If everything plays out as I expect on Saturday (and we beat asu) i think we wind up with an 8 seed playing either USC or Stanford in the 1st round on Wednesday. I've got my all session pass and am already packing.

Definitely NOT the match-up I hoped for. I was hoping to avoid UCLA/SC/Oregon. SC is a team with length and athleticism that plays a competent zone. We looked REALLY bad against them earlier this year. Hopefully, the presence of a semi-healthy Jeter can help even the score.
I agree: USC is not a good match-up. Boatwright and Rakocevic are killers. They can score like crazy.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I know it's not a great matchup, but SC has kinda sucked lately.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ralmom22

Post by ralmom22 »

Does anyone remember if B Will played when we last met up with USC? I’m thinking yes but was maybe hurting already? And I’m thinking Jeter was out. I’m a bit concerned with the match up- feel like tomorrow nights performance may give us more of an idea about our odds for Wednesday .
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ralmom22 wrote:Does anyone remember if B Will played when we last met up with USC? I’m thinking yes but was maybe hurting already? And I’m thinking Jeter was out. I’m a bit concerned with the match up- feel like tomorrow nights performance may give us more of an idea about our odds for Wednesday .
He played and was 3-13 for 8 points and 4 assists.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

USC is an absolutely horrible match up for us.

IMO, the key to the game may well be getting Nick Rakocevic into foul trouble. If we don't USC will get the inside/outside game going and steamroll us. Get him in foul trouble and USC becomes a perimeter oriented team.

I would start Ira Lee in place of Luther and stick Ira in the middle of the zone at the free throw line. Get him the ball and have him attack Rakocevic off the dribble. Same with Jeter, if we can get the ball inside to Chase have him body up Rakocevic and pray the PAC12 refs are in whistle mode. Even if we get Rakocevic out of the game we have NOBODY who can guard Bennie Boatwright.

Bottom line we can't match USC's horses and we have to cut them down to size somehow.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

No chance we win this game. Just thankful this dumpster fire of a season is finally ending. What a nightmare.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bracket is out now.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:Bracket is out now.
If we beat USC and UW in back to back days, I'll be ready to name my first kid after Miller.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The one good thing about that bracket is how it increases the likelihood that the season ends sooner rather than later. Looking forward to the start of looking forward to next year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:The one good thing about that bracket is how it increases the likelihood that the season ends sooner rather than later. Looking forward to the start of looking forward to next year.
Me too.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I am hoping for a miracle!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Frybry02 wrote:I am hoping for a miracle!
A bigger miracle would be to get through the rest of the year without another Schlabach article mentioning bullshit allegations against Miller.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Frybry02 wrote:I am hoping for a miracle!

So you're telling me there's a chance?

-JB
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Longhorned wrote:The one good thing about that bracket is how it increases the likelihood that the season ends sooner rather than later. Looking forward to the start of looking forward to next year.
LH, this is so how I feel. I am ready to move on.

Still, there might be some value left in this season... if Bwill could show out and lead this group of pansies to a win vs USC and a fight against UW it might really give him confidence over the summer to take the leadership reins going forward.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This team has just been so hard to watch at times. Still, what do we know about March? Crazy shit happens. Every year. Teams that aren't supposed to win...do. For years, I've asked, why can't we be that team, just once? Why can't Luther and Coleman and Smith go on a freakish hot shooting streak the next couple weeks?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

if it were 3 games in 3 days...you never know when you might catch that upset team in the 2nd game and then be down to one game for all the glory.

But 4 games in 4 days with a thin roster...for a team that has not been consistent...just is way too much. Even if you catch a break in the bracket, you still have to beat that team that has played pretty close to your equal all year anyway, then win 2 more games against either good or hot teams.

It's what makes being down 2-0 in a best of 5 seem possible but being down 3-0 in a best of 7 seem so daunting, never mind the teams change and presumably get better each game...that idea that you just win one, then see what happens and you might wind up in a title game has that extra step. Win the first, get an upset on the 2nd and...you still have to clear one more just to get to the right to play for the title. Against a team that has also won games to get to that title. Oh, and you have zero days rest for your 1.75 post players.

Yeah...I am as optimistic as any fan when it comes to my teams, but the very structure suggests this team can't catch lightning in a bottle and run the bracket.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Good points, EVC. We could even look at the history of the Pac tourney as an indicator. I can't remember the last time a low seed (6-12) actually won the tourney and got into the dance. Like, a team that had zero chance of dancing otherwise.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This team doesn't have the gas to win 4 games in 4 nights. They barely have the gas to get through a single night.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

EVCat wrote:if it were 3 games in 3 days...you never know when you might catch that upset team in the 2nd game and then be down to one game for all the glory.

But 4 games in 4 days with a thin roster...for a team that has not been consistent...just is way too much. Even if you catch a break in the bracket, you still have to beat that team that has played pretty close to your equal all year anyway, then win 2 more games against either good or hot teams.

It's what makes being down 2-0 in a best of 5 seem possible but being down 3-0 in a best of 7 seem so daunting, never mind the teams change and presumably get better each game...that idea that you just win one, then see what happens and you might wind up in a title game has that extra step. Win the first, get an upset on the 2nd and...you still have to clear one more just to get to the right to play for the title. Against a team that has also won games to get to that title. Oh, and you have zero days rest for your 1.75 post players.

Yeah...I am as optimistic as any fan when it comes to my teams, but the very structure suggests this team can't catch lightning in a bottle and run the bracket.
I tend to agree on all points.

Still, it is March and this is basketball we are talking about. Could Coleman reprise his Maui tournament performance in Vegas??

Probably not, but I will be leaving from work tomorrow at lunch to head out for Vegas. I'll be staying at the Aquarius in Laughlin tuesday night and will make the short trip to Vegas Wednesday morning. This may be the first time I have been to the tournament where the UA is knocked out before I check in to my hotel :lol:
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The years I have gone, I always showed up Thursday.

If I had done that this year, I would be sweating being eliminated before checking in.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Im checking in around 3 on Thursday. I’m fully prepared to not be able to watch my Cats at T mobile this yr.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Checking in before noon tomorrow. Will indulge my morbid curiosity in the noon game for the right price.

Cat fans, feel free to hit me up later that evening, as I'll be on south Strip.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hats off to you cat fans going to support our cats. First time missing vegas and if it was our normal year I would be there. That is a bad fan though as they need us most now but as Danny Glover would say, “I’m Getting to old for this shit”. Bring us home a win tomorrow G and then It will be B’s turn to deliver