Biggest concern for tonites game against the Buffs

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatFanOneMil

Biggest concern for tonites game against the Buffs

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Watching OU vs Rhode Isle...(I'm actually confused, do I want Trae Young to lose because of ESPN love fest or do I want Rhode to lose because, well Hurley???)

Anyway...a lot of offensive calls going against that left arm push off that Trier does in his sleep...makes me concerned a bit for tonite...I know we get a different set of refs, BUT...it might be a point of concern...

Fouls...this can change the make up[ of our rotation a bit...of course its not like we've never had to play a tough game with trier on the bench this season...or Rawle...but PJC getting into foul trouble could be a bit of a challenge...when Trier is running point he drops defense a little...

My only real concern for tonites game is how the refs can affect the outcome...if they ding Ayton for being big and getting flopped on...just might be the NCAA's way to say "Fuck you back Az"...not a conspiracy guy but man I don't trust the NCAA anymore than I do the Pac 12
EVCat

Re: Biggest concern for tonites game against the Buffs

Post by EVCat »

Refs can, but largely hold their whistle in the tournament in comparison to what we see in the PAC. I had a friend comment on this and so I took a look at our PAC tournament experience vs NCAA...hopefully this trend holds:

2017 NCAA Tournament:

32 total fouls called in S16 Xavier game
32 fouls called in R32 SMC game 3
30 in the NDSU 1st round game.

Now...PAC play:

2017 PAC 12 tournament:

43 fouls in PAC 12 tournament game between Arizona and UCLA
43 fouls in PAC 12 tournament game between Arizona and Oregon
41 fouls in PAC 12 tournament game between Arizona and Colorado

2016:

45 fouls in PAC 12 tournament game between Arizona and Oregon
56 fouls in PAC 12 tournament game between Arizona and Colorado
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fwiw Buffalo fouls and fouls a lot. Who knows how the refs we have will call this game today though.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw Buffalo fouls and fouls a lot. Who knows how the refs we have will call this game today though.
Anyone know if there is a list of the officials and the game assignments that they have for the NCAA Tournament?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Tourney wise, there are just so many little variables that can nail you in the one and done format.

-Refs
-Cold shooting
-Coming out flat
-Other team getting hot

I think we should win, but you never know. The NCAA tournament is always the most random process for a championship in any sport.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the biggest change from the Pac12 regular season to the NCAA Tournament season is how the officials oversee and call the game - this for all intensive purposes is a HUGE bonus to AZ's front-court and has the potential to be a negative for the AZ back-court as we saw in years past against Wichita State and Xavier.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:the biggest change from the Pac12 regular season to the NCAA Tournament season is how the officials oversee and call the game - this for all intensive purposes is a HUGE bonus to AZ's front-court and has the potential to be a negative for the AZ back-court as we saw in years past against Wichita State and Xavier.
I agree 100%. Ayton should have an easier time, but the ballhandlers have to be ready for the idea that there won't be bailouts.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

Usually I am concerned about tournament play due to the refs typically allowing a more physical style of play. Pac12 refs call a lot of ticky tac fouls that Arizona is use to getting. Arizona doesn't get these calls in March. I think the refs during the Pac12 tournament were awesome and let the teams play, and allowed them to be more physical than during the normal conference season. I think this really bodes well for us. This year's team is a much more physical team, especially with Ayton.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I feel like Trier hasn't been doing that push off move much recently.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

My biggest concern is: how does our pre-game PB&J setup rate compared to the other schools?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:My biggest concern is: how does our pre-game PB&J setup rate compared to the other schools?

If it's creamy PB we are doing it wrong.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:My biggest concern is: how does our pre-game PB&J setup rate compared to the other schools?

If it's creamy PB we are doing it wrong.
you know who likes crunchy peanut butter?

Not this guy.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I ate a crunchy pb and j when i was very young.
I couldn't crush one of the peanuts. I finally took it out of my mouth to examine it.
It turns out that it was one of my teeth. The peanut butter was so sticky it pulled out a loose tooth.
I've never eaten crunchy peanut butter again
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just play with urgency and things will be good. Roles, responsibilities and then deliver.

This year I just don't want it to end because the future has never been so unclear. Put that off for as long as we can please. Go cats!
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

I'm most concerned with Ayton's shoe/foot.