Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Schlabach with another Arizona mention, "If Dawkins/Code take plea deals and cooperate, teams like Kansas, "Arizona, Creighton, LSU are gonna get nervous pretty fast"

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25074559" target="_blank
The hell is he talking about? I'm not watching the video to get pissed off, but they were found guilty at trial. Why would the government try to give them a guilty plea after they were found guilty at trial?
They still have another case ahead of them. Even then if they had Arizona by the balls they would've offered that up in this trial.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I honestly don't know what to make of Book's recent social media presence. He's been liking and tweeting a lot of positive stuff about Arizona.
This comes from 15 year old firsthand knowledge, so take it for what it's worth:

In college coaching, disloyalty and snitching are cardinal sins. Turning on other coaches (even rivals) is as close to career suicide as you get, even more so than NCAA violations.

Book's career is coaching. I don't know how he sees his future, but if it involves anything to do with basketball, I think it is important for him to be ok with Miller and Arizona. I don't know what else he's ever done, so I assume he wants a future in something about basketball.

I tend to assume he's gottne past the shock and is starting to try to set up the next phase of his life up. If that is still basketball, leaving things as peaceably as possible with Arizona is an important thing.

Edit: FWIW, I think this concept of loyalty and not snitching is why Miller has never thrown Book under the bus and never will. Book's firing had to happen, and I think Book probably understands Miller couldn't control that, but Miller not scapegoating Book matters too.
I've heard this take from somebody else who is in the know as well. He doesn't talk to Book daily or anything, but from what he knows about Book he says snitching literally is not an option for him due to pretty much every thing you said above. I hope that holds true, but you never know what happens when the threat of prison hits you real fast.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Schlabach with another Arizona mention, "If Dawkins/Code take plea deals and cooperate, teams like Kansas, "Arizona, Creighton, LSU are gonna get nervous pretty fast"

The hell is he talking about? I'm not watching the video to get pissed off, but they were found guilty at trial. Why would the government try to give them a guilty plea after they were found guilty at trial?
They still have another case ahead of them. Even then if they had Arizona by the balls they would've offered that up in this trial.
Dawkins and Code? I know the coaches are going in April, but I thought this was it for Dawkins and Code.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I honestly don't know what to make of Book's recent social media presence. He's been liking and tweeting a lot of positive stuff about Arizona.
This comes from 15 year old firsthand knowledge, so take it for what it's worth:

In college coaching, disloyalty and snitching are cardinal sins. Turning on other coaches (even rivals) is as close to career suicide as you get, even more so than NCAA violations.

Book's career is coaching. I don't know how he sees his future, but if it involves anything to do with basketball, I think it is important for him to be ok with Miller and Arizona. I don't know what else he's ever done, so I assume he wants a future in something about basketball.

I tend to assume he's gottne past the shock and is starting to try to set up the next phase of his life up. If that is still basketball, leaving things as peaceably as possible with Arizona is an important thing.

Edit: FWIW, I think this concept of loyalty and not snitching is why Miller has never thrown Book under the bus and never will. Book's firing had to happen, and I think Book probably understands Miller couldn't control that, but Miller not scapegoating Book matters too.
I've heard this take from somebody else who is in the know as well. He doesn't talk to Book daily or anything, but from what he knows about Book he says snitching literally is not an option for him due to pretty much every thing you said above. I hope that holds true, but you never know what happens when the threat of prison hits you real fast.
I don't have much Arizona insider knowledge, but from my own D1 experience in the early 00's, people would joke being a rat in coaching circles was like being a rat in the Mafia. You wouldn't get whacked physically, but your career would.

Obviously the FBI investigation is uncharted territory, but if Book snitched, the coaching structure I knew would pretty much make it certain he would never coach above rec league games ever again.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Dawkins and Code? I know the coaches are going in April, but I thought this was it for Dawkins and Code.
Code & Dawkins are defendants in that case as well (Books trial along with Evans' & Bland) because they're accused of accepting bribes from them. If they agree to cooperate, they could help out the prosecution and start singing about Miller/Arizona/recruits if they go to trial (if they have anything to offer). If the Miller 'tap does indeed exist, this is when we would hear it (even if it's contents don't involve Ayton), of course that's assuming that's the reason we didn't hear it during this past trial.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Yeah, Lute's career really tanked after he (reportedly) snitched on Tarkanian.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The wiretaps have been released.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ssion=true" target="_blank

Spoiler Alert: Not a single tape with Sean Miller's voice and only 2 mentions of Arizona, both being bullshit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:The wiretaps have been released.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ssion=true" target="_blank

Spoiler Alert: Not a single tape with Sean Miller's voice and only 2 mentions of Arizona, both being bullshit.
First school mentioned in Schlafuck’s article?

Arizona

Seriously, I hope he gets a chicken nugget stuck sideways in his colon and after docs remove it he has to shit in a bag the rest of his life.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

The fact that ESPN continues to let Schlabach even near this story anymore is just dumb.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The only thing that these wiretaps makes clear is that these guys were frickin idiots. Idiots who don't deserve jail time, but massive idiots nonetheless.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Plea deals after found guilty.....NOT

But if there was any merit to it:

1. Kansas has been and is already nervous; and is taking action now that we know through the trial their coach was aware of the payments and that they played an indelible play all last year.......ouch.
2. What else can they say about Arizona that they haven't already said that put us into the whole mess to start with - we're supposedly screwed to start with. During a plea, maybe they will retract what he said as a false statement instead. Let them plea.
3. I think if a plea is listened to, the rest of the Blue Bloods are who should be worried........That and the ESPN College Basketball Gameday Crew who already trashed Arizona and haven't backed off. Wait until they realize that all elite teams have been doing the same....."what a shock" - they had no clue?
4. Maybe "Dukie" Vital will be put to silence and forced to retire.....may he rest in peace.
5. Next years tournament will guarantee a 16 seed will finally win the tourney, let alone get to the final four since the rest of the top 63 teams will be sanctioned and have a two year ban from post season.
6. No matter what happens North Carolina and Duke Coaches will deny, deny, deny all the way.
7. Last of all - Why hasn't Kentucky ever been mentioned once in this whole fiasco over this past year plus..... They are king of the 5 star recruits the past decade? Just wondering...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Chicat wrote: First school mentioned in Schlafuck’s article?

Arizona
He truly should be embarrassed. Someone played him last winter, made him look like a fool, and destroyed his credibility. Yet, he digs in and continues name drop AZ, in a desperate hope that his initial report will be validated over time. It was pretty clear from the trial that there was no substantiated evidence that Arizona was actually involved with offering payments to Little, rather AZ may have been named as a suitor to increase the Little payment by those who were considering making it.

Who knows, if Book's case actually goes to trial, maybe this alleged Miller wiretap will surface (although it could be revealed that if such a wiretap exists, it was done in conjunction with cooperating with the FBI). There is no way to know. Schlabach has to be hoping with every ounce of his being that the wiretap exists because if it doesn't, his reputation as a reporter will be more toxic than ever.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We are in a post truth era... Shlongbach will be just fine
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:We are in a post truth era... Shlongbach will be just fine
As long as he keeps writing articles where in the first few paragraphs he mentions Arizona and zero ACC/Big12/SEC cash cow schools, ESPN will likely employ him forever. After all, he’s the guy who broke the blockbuster story of Sean Miller handing Deandre Ayton a suitcase full of money, ain’t that right brainwashed mouth breathers who take their bullshit as gospel?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Code & Dawkins are defendants in that case as well (Books trial along with Evans' & Bland) because they're accused of accepting bribes from them. If they agree to cooperate, they could help out the prosecution and start singing about Miller/Arizona/recruits if they go to trial (if they have anything to offer). If the Miller 'tap does indeed exist, this is when we would hear it (even if it's contents don't involve Ayton), of course that's assuming that's the reason we didn't hear it during this past trial.
Fair enough. I thought the case was separated by defendant, not by conspiracy, but I have not followed non AZ news very closely.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
That's why an intelligent NCAA would open the door for this to be done in a controlled, legitimized atmosphere. On the black market, it's easy for shady dudes to scam everyone.

A legitimized system would actually allow the money to go directly to the players who deserve it most instead of shady ass go betweens.

In the words of Peter Tosh, Legalize It.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:We are in a post truth era... Shlongbach will be just fine
ughgsdhfgsdhfgsdsfhwgsdwff

...you're way too right
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

It is completely baffling that Schlabach still works for ESPN and perhaps even crazier he is still covering this story.

He got completely played and started a firestorm over literally nothing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat34 wrote:It is completely baffling that Schlabach still works for ESPN and perhaps even crazier he is still covering this story.

He got completely played and started a firestorm over literally nothing.
When you find yourself in a hole, just keep digging deeper until you find a way out.

Or, uh, something like that...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote:The wiretaps have been released.
Sean did come up in the "Dawkins and T.J. Gassnola on Rick Pitino, Arizona and Adidas" wiretap:
GASSNOLA: Yeah, I don’t know where the Arizona thing came in. Like he was going to I don’t know, you know what I’m saying?
DAWKINS: Well, he had me talk to Sean. He told me he talked to Sean,"
also:
Code: The problem is, Arizona's offered the kid 150, and we're trying to keep him from going to one of their schools.
Clearly talking about Nike? Whens the bomb gonna drop on Nike?

There's also a lot of redacted text. Makes you wonder whats being hidden.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Nike wouldn't get involved paying a kid whose parents did not want to get paid. I'm not going to pay you to clean my house if you're not charging, so why would Nike do the same? Code was misled by Dawkins and Augustine. Code was led to believe Augustine was the guy running Little's recruitment when that was ridiculously far off from the case.

On the first time they mentioned Sean I'm confused who really supposedly talked to him. Either way talking to Dawkins isn't illegal either and talking to agents is part of the job unfortunately.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Nike wouldn't get involved paying a kid whose parents did not want to get paid. I'm not going to pay you to clean my house if you're not charging, so why would Nike do the same? Code was misled by Dawkins and Augustine. Code was led to believe Augustine was the guy running Little's recruitment when that was ridiculously far off from the case.

On the first time they mentioned Sean I'm confused who really supposedly talked to him. Either way talking to Dawkins isn't illegal either and talking to agents is part of the job unfortunately.
When Sean is mentioned, that conversation comes off like they're pissed Bowen might go to Arizona despite the Adidas money poured into him. It certainly isn't clear Dawkins is the one who talked to Miller and there is no mention of Miller negotiating money.

We'll see what's in the redacted portions someday, maybe, but in the portions out there, Louisville is the big school in the crosshairs.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

It is. Guys an idiot. If they had Miller on tape they would have used it to prove universities know and promote this stuff.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What's the chance the NCAA uses this to modify it's model and calls the slate clean and move forward?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:What's the chance the NCAA uses this to modify it's model and calls the slate clean and move forward?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:What's the chance the NCAA uses this to modify it's model and calls the slate clean and move forward?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know. I almost kept a straight face all the way through that post.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The same as me winning Powerball, so I really hope one of them happens.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Good, no one should go

I should add though, if only 3 people there, ma, dad and him, 5 pieces already eaten.....dicky there?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Looks like his little brother is there, ate two pieces and left the crusts on his plate.
Edit, also someone's plate is missing, they must have got up to mingle with the others not at the party, my guess is his mom didn't want to sit next to him.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ok that's it, Schlabach needs to go away forever. Such a joke of an article he just put out. I mean look at this shit there's literally no new info in this article, yet it's a complete Arizona hit piece.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id ... ecruitment" target="_blank
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I genuinely don’t understand it...I get how difficult a defamation case is but it’s like they’re begging to be sued...this is insane. Just a regurgitation of everything already known, trying to frame it in the worst possible light and pretend like it’s news. Just blows my mind.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I am looking forward to Arizona next game on ESPN. I don’t think Miller would be petty but I would love for him to say no comment for every question an espn reporter asks him.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:Ok that's it, Schlabach needs to go away forever. Such a joke of an article he just put out. I mean look at this shit there's literally no new info in this article, yet it's a complete Arizona hit piece.

Looks like he is trying to derail another recruiting class. The article does not point to anything that can be substantiated, it is still speculative (based on testimony that can be interpreted in a number of ways) and circumstantial (phone calls/texts made to a cell number allegedly owned by Miller). The article is pointless— but a clear target at Arizona and Miller’s credibility. There are actual texts with Bill Self making admissions in the trial evidence, but that does not seem to matter to this piece of crap writer, who would rather draw conclusions on less definitive evidence. Miller was a non-story from all of the trial’s fireworks until schlongbach started digging for more info. to support his agenda to destroy Arizona.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Ok that's it, Schlabach needs to go away forever. Such a joke of an article he just put out. I mean look at this shit there's literally no new info in this article, yet it's a complete Arizona hit piece.

Looks like he is trying to derail another recruiting class. The article does not point to anything that can be substantiated, it is still speculative (based on testimony that can be interpreted in a number of ways) and circumstantial (phone calls/texts made to a cell number allegedly owned by Miller). The article is pointless— but a clear target at Arizona and Miller’s credibility. There are actual texts with Bill Self making admissions in the trial evidence, but that does not seem to matter to this piece of crap writer, who would rather draw conclusions on less definitive evidence. Miller was a non-story from all of the trial’s fireworks until schlongbach started digging for more info. to support his agenda to destroy Arizona.
It looks to me like there are new details of phone calls (dates, length of call, etc) between CSM & Dawkins. But there is no evidence of the contents of those discussions. Also, Dawkins’ lawyer complains that there were no taping of the calls from the most potentially compromising dates re: Bowen. There is also explicit recounting of Miller’s and the university’s denials re: Ayton.

So, Dawkins was a major factor in the recruiting of Bowen, and the longest calls with Miller coincided with the Bowen family’s concern that the return of players that could make PT difficult for Brian. The only allegations seem to come from Dawkins, who could as easily been playing the system to get $$$ from Adidis...

IMNSHO, that all appears to be factual reporting, and nothing specifically makes allegations against Miller.

As for Arizona’s concerns, there are allegations that Alain’s and his friend received funds and/or contractual promises during the entire season that, if validated could have the same impact as did Jason Terry’s illegal payments.... But none of that seems to implicate CSM.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Dave

Post by Dave »

So Dawkins made and received 3,000 calls trying to shop Bowen over a two month period of time. 13 of those calls involved a cell number that is associated with Miller. These calls took place in May 2017. There are no recordings of these calls because the FBI started their wiretapping Dawkins in June 2017. Thanks for nothing again ESPN.

Anyone care to speculate what we would hear on those calls. :lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The guy has had a mid-career crisis and found a purpose writing Arizona hit pieces. It's sad.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean...our ‘19 class isn’t complete yet but is seemingly a lock for top 5 nationally. So even while Schlabach and company remain deadset on damaging Miller/AZ, we’re weathering this storm.

I just wonder how much longer espn plans to continue this. Self was already caught doing the very things Schlabach is out to prove Miller did, so where’s the cover page photo of Self with an accompanying smear piece?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote:I mean...our ‘19 class isn’t complete yet but is seemingly a lock for top 5 nationally. So even while Schlabach and company remain deadset on damaging Miller/AZ, we’re weathering this storm.

I just wonder how much longer espn plans to continue this. Self was already caught doing the very things Schlabach is out to prove Miller did, so where’s the cover page photo of Self with an accompanying smear piece?
They’re now “waiting for the facts” when it comes to KU and Self, per Dick (Vitale). :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Christian Dawkins ran Brian Bowen's recruitment. Arizona at one point recruited Bowen, so talking to Dawkins numerous times should be fully expected. I can't Express how much of a non-story this is and that it was written solely as a hit piece, because Schlabach needs Sean Miller to be fired to save his credibility and his career.

Also Fran Fraschilla explained this perfectly:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

As others have pointed out, the only new stuff is that Dawkins and Miller spoke on the phone and an email about Rawle.

Leading with Arizona, given the nature of that information, does seem to single us out for a reason.

I wonder if that reason isn't subtly moving the goalposts on his original article. Instead of wire where 100k is discussed, it becomes call records where sources say a discussion of 100k happened. It builds an out because all known evidence is contradicting the Ayton/wire story. Now the content is hidden behind a wall and it makes it impossible to be wrong.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

As others have pointed out, the only new stuff is that Dawkins and Miller spoke on the phone and an email about Rawle.

Leading with Arizona, given the nature of that information, does seem to single us out for a reason.

I wonder if that reason isn't subtly moving the goalposts on his original article. Instead of wire where 100k is discussed, it becomes call records where sources say a discussion of 100k happened. It builds an out because all known evidence is contradicting the Ayton/wire story. Now the content is hidden behind a wall and it makes it impossible to be wrong.
Schlabach still believes his Ayton/100K story and he's telling ESPN as much. He just doesn't have proof and he never will. Like I said this isnt about moving the goalposts it's about keeping pressure on Sean Miller and hoping to force him out to save his own career. He's hoping for that Ayton bomb to show up to vindicate his credibility, but in case it doesnt (it wont) getting Sean fired also would do the trick.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Christian Dawkins ran Brian Bowen's recruitment. Arizona at one point recruited Bowen, so talking to Dawkins numerous times should be fully expected. I can't Express how much of a non-story this is and that it was written solely as a hit piece, because Schlabach needs Sean Miller to be fired to save his credibility and his career.

Also Fran Fraschilla explained this perfectly:
Respect to Fraschilla for telling the truth here. Talking to middlemen has been around a long, long time.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Even Goodman is responding to Vitale and Bilas now and he rarely defends UA for anything. Just annoying to see ESPN and some of the most visible/known college BB guys at ESPN continually push this story but not others. Its so clear Schlabach needs this story for his job but for ESPN to not report on any other programs is ridiculous. Vitale is an idiot but I expected more out of Bilas as he at least seems intelligent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Notice how Vitale doesn't extend the logic to his boy Pitino, who actually ponied up to land Bowen's commitment?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ya know, not to point out the obvious, but I also think it’s good for ESPN/Schlabach to put a program as high-profile and as prestigious as AZ at the top of these pointless articles. Doing this attracts eyeballs, and that’s the name of the game they’re playing. We could say, of course, that Kansas is every bit as prestigious as AZ, if not more, which makes it obvious that ESPN is *choosing* to put AZ front center while mitigating damages to KU.

But I do think it’s as simple as: AZ gets people’s attention.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Talk about strengthening Miller's resolve.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

DrWildcat wrote:
I'm willing to concede to Spiff that the player Dawkins offered Miller (alluded to by Miller in his presser) for $100k was Bowen. But this would mean this offer happened before Dawkins was wiretapped, maybe even also before Trier returning, Rawle returning, Akot reclassifying.

See, my mistake was giving the benefit of the doubt to Schlabach that he didn't completely make up the wiretap portion of it.

I'm also willing to concede to UofAlum05 that Schlabach's source is very high likelihood of being Book or book's defense attorney. Only someone that close to Miller/Arizona could Schlabach be used by and taken advantage of by the defendant or the defense attorney.

Fucking Schlabach