2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TucsonClip

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by TucsonClip »

Newportcat wrote:I am just slowly (actually it’s pretty fast) losing interest in college basketball in general

It’s so fucking terrible compared to the NBA. Watching Lakers vs Hornets yesterday and then Arizona vs Baylor was just unreal in how enjoyable the NBA game was compared to a college basketball game. The college game is so behind the NBA. It’s the exact opposite in football to me too. I think the college game is more exciting.
Honestly, college basketball is an eyesore if you are used to watching NBA games. I could go further, but I'll leave it at that. I've challenged people to watch an Arizona basketball game and then immediately put on any NBA game. It feels like the weight of the world being lifted from your retinas.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TucsonClip wrote:
Newportcat wrote:I am just slowly (actually it’s pretty fast) losing interest in college basketball in general

It’s so fucking terrible compared to the NBA. Watching Lakers vs Hornets yesterday and then Arizona vs Baylor was just unreal in how enjoyable the NBA game was compared to a college basketball game. The college game is so behind the NBA. It’s the exact opposite in football to me too. I think the college game is more exciting.
Honestly, college basketball is an eyesore if you are used to watching NBA games. I could go further, but I'll leave it at that. I've challenged people to watch an Arizona basketball game and then immediately put on any NBA game. It feels like the weight of the world being lifted from your retinas.
This is exactly right. Even if you watch the two top college teams in the country, followed by the Suns v. Wolves. The myth is that it was ever different.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Longhorned wrote:It feels strangely peaceful going into the holidays with no expectations for the rest of the basketball season.
This couldn't be more true.
As you so eloquently put it elsewhere, next year is sink or swim for Miller, and quite frankly who cares how this year ends at this point, I'm on to baseball/softball season.
If Miller falters next year with all that talent/recruiting class, it's not going to end well. We will be two years removed from the FBI news and it would be time to seriously considering moving on, from both sides.
Agreed. Next season will absolutely dictate Sean Miller's future at Arizona, especially considering UCLA will have a new coach in by the start of that season and that always comes with recruiting momentum.
I guess I have a higher threshold for pain than most of this board.

As long as Miller is able to pull in top 75 recruits I would leave him alone..........even if he never gets to a Final Four or continues to flounder against zones. There is no certainty that we will be able to find a better coach........anyone remember Ben Lindsey or Kevin O'Neill????

If, on the other hand, the NCAA drops the hammer on AZ after the Book trial (which I also think is a much higher probability than the vast majority of posters) then I think we should part ways with Miller ASAP. His 2019 recruiting class would scatter to the winds and we would all be praying that Dylan Smith doesn't transfer. Miller would be damaged goods (ESPN would never stop talking about it) and the UA would be better served finding a replacement and putting the whole mess in the rear view mirror.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Don’t get me wrong March madness is awesome from a casual fan perspective. But I hate it from an Arizona fan perspective. It is by far the least efficient way to determine a champion in any sport on earth, college or pro. Single elimination tournament with no home court advantage or really any regular season advantage. It’s fucking absolute garbage to me from the perspective of determining a true champion. Now it’s fun as hell to watch and gamble on, but it’s like fucking a hot slutty dumb chick in college. Fun in the moment only but you know it’s not real. Winning a tough series in the NBA is epic. I am probably the minority, but I would totally change it up in March. At least give top 4 seeds home court advantage during first two rounds like every other college sport who does a big tournament. How awesome would it be to watch first two rounds at Mckale. Would make regular season better too. But never will happen as no financial motive to do it. So basically it is now a three week a year sport unfortunately

And as discussed before major issue in college basketball is the lack of narrative. The sports word thrives off narratives now and in college basketball there is none. Every year every team pretty much changes. Only narrative last year has been the FBI issues which will be over soon and Zion which will also be over in 4-5 months. I am really scared actually for the future of college basketball outside of three weeks in March. So difficult for me to be vested in it anymore. I just don’t care that much because no one around me seems to care. I had no idea UCLA lost to Belmont until like 30 min ago. I would have known about that in SoCal like the second it happened even as little as five years ago. Now no one seems to care around me. I got only one text on last nights game from my asu buddy talking trash. Even game threads now are way down in people posting in them. Maybe it’s just me and reading too much into a crappy season for us

The game has gotten so much uglier too. It never competed with the NBA but the NBA has gotten better and faster and college has regressed in a Major way. That game yesterday was awful. Most games are. Again look at Trier. I hate watching him in college, love watching him in the pros.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
prh

Post by prh »

In Jay Wright's first 14 years at Villanova, they made it past the Sweet Sixteen only twice.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Newportcat wrote:Don’t get me wrong March madness is awesome from a casual fan perspective. But I hate it from an Arizona fan perspective. It is by far the least efficient way to determine a champion in any sport on earth, college or pro. Single elimination tournament with no home court advantage or really any regular season advantage. It’s fucking absolute garbage to me from the perspective of determining a true champion. Now it’s fun as hell to watch and gamble on, but it’s like fucking a hot slutty dumb chick in college. Fun in the moment only but you know it’s not real. Winning a tough series in the NBA is epic. I am probably the minority, but I would totally change it up in March. At least give top 4 seeds home court advantage during first two rounds like every other college sport who does a big tournament. How awesome would it be to watch first two rounds at Mckale. Would make regular season better too. But never will happen as no financial motive to do it. So basically it is now a three week a year sport unfortunately

And as discussed before major issue in college basketball is the lack of narrative. The sports word thrives off narratives now and in college basketball there is none. Every year every team pretty much changes. Only narrative last year has been the FBI issues which will be over soon and Zion which will also be over in 4-5 months. I am really scared actually for the future of college basketball outside of three weeks in March. So difficult for me to be vested in it anymore. I just don’t care that much because no one around me seems to care. I had no idea UCLA lost to Belmont until like 30 min ago. I would have known about that in SoCal like the second it happened even as little as five years ago. Now no one seems to care around me. I got only one text on last nights game from my asu buddy talking trash. Even game threads now are way down in people posting in them. Maybe it’s just me and reading too much into a crappy season for us

The game has gotten so much uglier too. It never competed with the NBA but the NBA has gotten better and faster and college has regressed in a Major way. That game yesterday was awful. Most games are. Again look at Trier. I hate watching him in college, love watching him in the pros.
In one word: "Basketbawful"
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The comparison with the NBA isn’t relevant anyway. College basketball isn’t supposed to be beautiful. And it isn’t really a sport. It’s a serious religious event. Our lives depend on the outcome. It’s more like the Mesoamerican ball game.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:In Jay Wright's first 14 years at Villanova, they made it past the Sweet Sixteen only twice.
Very sound point, but this is where Miller's great recruiting has hurt him. Jay has never come close to the classes Sean has pulled in, so the expectations yearly are in two different stratospheres.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:The comparison with the NBA isn’t relevant anyway. College basketball isn’t supposed to be beautiful. And it isn’t really a sport. It’s a serious religious event. Our lives depend on the outcome. It’s more like the Mesoamerican ball game.

It's not life or death. It's much more important than that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Longhorned wrote:The comparison with the NBA isn’t relevant anyway. College basketball isn’t supposed to be beautiful. And it isn’t really a sport. It’s a serious religious event. Our lives depend on the outcome. It’s more like the Mesoamerican ball game.
I used to think this way and something has just changed. I can remember in 2007 when we lost at home to WSU. I had just gotten into my number one choice for Graduate school literally earlier that day but was so depressed we lost to WSU at home. Felt like our program was dying before my eyes. I mean to lose to WSU at home, I could not process it. I remember my girlfriend who is now my wife asking me why I was so crazy to be that upset about some dumb game. and I replied, we lost at home to WSU!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Maybe I am just older now with kids and more responsibilities

Maybe I do not have the same worries that Arizona basketball could end like I did in 2007. I sort of feel like now, with all the stuff we have taken since 2005, the fact we are still standing even after Lute and still have the #1 recruiting class in the country next year gives me comfort our program can weather anything.

but for some reason, I just care a lot less. Could just be me, but its weird since it feels like all my die hard buddies are pretty similar. Maybe its also because I feel like at this point, the only thing Arizona can do to change its current narrative is make a Final Four. Until that happens, all this is meaningless. It is sad to say but I get little enjoyment out of Regular Season titles, etc especially when PAC 12 is dog shit. That's why I think tournament should be re-structured to provide home court advantage to top 4 seeds for the first two rounds then go to neutral courts. Would make regular season so much more important.

I also feel little attachment to current players/teams because they come and go so quickly. Last four years our teams have looked nothing like the year before and not sure if that changes anytime soon. Next years team will look nothing like this one.

And regarding NBA vs College, I just find regular season games for the NBA so much more enjoyable to watch especially if its not my teams. Watching a regular season college basketball game without Arizona in it, is so painful except for the tournament or very best teams. I can watch guys like the Greek Freek, or Westbrook, or Ben Simmons, or Anthony Davis play all day long.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For me it’s that I’m getting older with kids, more responsibility and subsequently less time for hobbies so that time that I do have is spent with kids and developing new skills and interests.

Also for the longest time was in school which made catching a game more of good 2-3hr break from studying, protects, work; whereas now, although I have less time, I have more time in bulk which gets spent on things like hiking, coaching kids soccer, skiing, hanging out with friends/kids, rather that taking time out to those things to watch a 2hr game.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don’t believe any of you.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The nice thing about basketball is that it's only 2 hours, unlike football which is 3.5 hours so it is less a waste of time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I still watch cats games but I don’t rearrange my schedule as much as I did in the past to do so.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I used to plan my fall/spring around catching every game on TV. The past few seasons I've probably missed watching more games than the previous 25 years combined. Nowadays I'm like "oh, shit, there's a game on tonight". I hope the fire for ua bball comes back to me at some point soon. I
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:I don’t believe any of you.
:D
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I have a newborn and stayed up to watch the Baylor game. It was like holding a shotgun to my face on purpose. I got what I was asking for that night too with a fussy ass baby.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:I have a newborn and stayed up to watch the Baylor game. It was like holding a shotgun to my face on purpose. I got what I was asking for that night too with a fussy ass baby.
With my second, I had all the games from the 1997 run on DVR. Late night/early mornings with her the first weeks of her life were glorious
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Longhorned wrote:I don’t believe any of you.
Candidly I have no reason to lie. I find I am sometimes way more honest on this site then I am in real life with what I think and feel given I am anonymous. If I am being really honest I passed out on my couch as I was so tired from a full day of kids during the Baylor game. Again, maybe I am just older but I used to live and die with each Arizona basketball game. Even as recently as a couple years ago.

I am just curious to know if its my age or if others feel the same thing. College basketball just seems different to me in a bad way in terms of my passion for it. I am just hopeful its a blip due to the lack of talent on this team but feels like I really do not want to get vested like I once did. Even next year, I will feel like awesome, we got Nico but he will just leave after a year. It feels so different with the NBA. Even suns fans have to be excited they can watch Deandre grow as a player even though they suck now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I have a newborn and stayed up to watch the Baylor game. It was like holding a shotgun to my face on purpose. I got what I was asking for that night too with a fussy ass baby.
With my second, I had all the games from the 1997 run on DVR. Late night/early mornings with her the first weeks of her life were glorious
I knew you were a smart guy, but I didn't realize you were a fucking genius. I'm downloading those games to my CPU now.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Arizona basketball has worn me down or the last couple of years. The players just don’t seem to care like they use to. Miller seems not willing to adjust in game and just rides it tell you either make it out or die trying. I think it is best to have multiple tricks in your bag instead of just one. Olson probably would have had some final fours and a title with some of the talent Miller has had.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’m frustrated, too. But damn, have some perspective. Olson managed to lose in the first round with 3 NBA centers on the same team. We’ve had great talent under Miller, sure. But where is Miller’s NBA rookie of the year? Where is the player under Miller who went on to battle King James to a standstill in the playoffs and made you wonder whether you would trade the Arizona grad for one of the 5 greatest players in NBA history? How many Olympians has Miller coached? How many times has Miller had three year returning starters who would go on to be first round picks? In the NBA, not the Phoenix rec league or wherever Lavendar is playing now. Based on NBA success, Olson had far more talented teams. I don’t have the stats available, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see that the average number of NCAA tourney wins per appearance isn’t too different between the two coaches. In any case, Olson was an HoF coach. Miller isn’t on that trajectory at this point. But who knows. Maybe he breaks through and the trajectory changes.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m frustrated, too. But damn, have some perspective. Olson managed to lose in the first round with 3 NBA centers on the same team. We’ve had great talent under Miller, sure. But where is Miller’s NBA rookie of the year? Where is the player under Miller who went on to battle King James to a standstill in the playoffs and made you wonder whether you would trade the Arizona grad for one of the 5 greatest players in NBA history? How many Olympians has Miller coached? How many times has Miller had three year returning starters who would go on to be first round picks? In the NBA, not the Phoenix rec league or wherever Lavendar is playing now. Based on NBA success, Olson had far more talented teams. I don’t have the stats available, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see that the average number of NCAA tourney wins per appearance isn’t too different between the two coaches. In any case, Olson was an HoF coach. Miller isn’t on that trajectory at this point. But who knows. Maybe he breaks through and the trajectory changes.
I do not know if this was directed at me but I am definitely not for advocating for Miller's firing right now. I am frustrated our teams still can not beat a Zone defense but candidly more frustrated at having to watch teams play Zone Defense and slow pace of play down so badly.

As mentioned above, NCAA Tournament is by far the least efficient way to determine a true champion or define one's overall success in a season in any sport I can think of. Its fucking beyond awful that way but it is so much fun to watch and be a part of so will never change. I love it and hate it at the same time. The NBA Playoffs are like taking a vacation to climb Mt. Whitney. When you make it to the top its an epic feeling like you accomplished something and no one can take it away from you. The NCAA Tournament is like going to Vegas for a Bachelor Party. So awesome in the moment but its very fleeting, can turn real badly real quickly, and its over before you knew it and 99% of the guys feel like crap sitting in the awful Southwest Terminal the next day, and upset they spent too much money and swear they are never going to Vegas again. There is always one guy who actually won money or did something awesome, but again, it was a one time thing.

I actually think Miller is a saint for staying in College. I have no idea why anyone (Outside of all the money) would want to be a college basketball coach right now especially Miller. It has to be beyond frustrating compared to Lute's day and age. Constantly turning over your teams and no consistency. Shoe Companies now have immense power. AAU scene is way more powerful. Kids are not getting coached correctly or learning the game well before they get to College. Tournament is really only thing people judge you off of anymore or care about. NBA commissioner is way more progressive in expanding his league and presence, One and Done rule, college football has gotten more powerful, etc.

If I was Miller, I would get Arizona to a final four and peace out to the NBA until the College games changes dramatically. I do not see Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens ever coming back to it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote: I have no idea why anyone (Outside of all the money) would want to be a college basketball coach right now especially Miller. It has to be beyond frustrating compared to Lute's day and age.
Like HOFer Larry Brown said, the main difference between college and the NBA is that in college the players still listen to you. Can you imagine a micromanager like Sean Miller trying to tell Kobe or LeBron what do to?
loomer

Post by loomer »

Miller doesn't enjoy the NBA product, he's said that on multiple occasions.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

loomer wrote:Miller doesn't enjoy the NBA product, he's said that on multiple occasions.
But other coaches do, such as Steve Kerr who said he would never coach in college. Between the recruiting, and all the NCAA rules, it's just so much easier in the NBA.

With so many NBA games, how often do they even practice?

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

prh wrote:In Jay Wright's first 14 years at Villanova, they made it past the Sweet Sixteen only twice.
That's a huge fact that is easily overlooked.

I just read some smart ass stuff on Twitter after UCLA's loss to Belmont with someone comparing Alford to Sean Miller. That of course made me go ballistic.

I think NCAA tourney performance is over valued. Not saying it's not important because at the end of the day, that's how programs are judged. But 5 Pac 12 titles in 9 years from Miller when he had to rebuilt the program from scratch is very impressive.

I also think Miller doesn't get enough credit for the number of players who are cashing checks playing pro ball.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Very sound point, but this is where Miller's great recruiting has hurt him. Jay has never come close to the classes Sean has pulled in, so the expectations yearly are in two different stratospheres.
I was thinking a lot about this, as there's a few directions to go. One could say that Sean has underachieved more, so there's more doubt. But, Wright also had very good teams with high expectations, including a #1 seed, a 2, and a 3. It could also be considered that his teams should have performed better in March relative to expectations, since they would typically be more experienced teams.

But the one thing that sticks with me is that if Sean continues to recruit at a high level, then that will only make it easier. For the absolute extreme, Kentucky always has a shot to do something in March because of the loads of talent they have. Much easier than other schools that rely on experience and the system.

As for this year's team, everyone is frustrated that Sean is not making drastic changes to make them more competitive. But, what if Sean knows this season is lost anyways and is preparing for a big run next year (which we, as fans, have already been doing)? So instead of wasting time this year just to try to eek out a few more wins that will ultimately be worthless, use this year to build up to what next year will be.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great post prh, but I have to ask, why not give DD some more run?
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:Great post prh, but I have to ask, why not give DD some more run?
Well that would certainly be an obvious thing to do. I have no idea. I would love that, and it would fit much better with that line of thought
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Great post prh, but I have to ask, why not give DD some more run?
I am gonna be pretty pissed if DD transfers at the winter break since this season is lost.

High energy is contagious.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Because that's not doing what we do and we must do what we do always regardless if it's the right strategy for our current roster or not.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yup, do what we do.

A Players Program.

I’ve never been one for “building your brand” and other cute sayings. Too cynical/critical I guess.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

I also find myself to be less enthusiastic this year than in year's past. For me, it has been a lot of things that have accumulated over time. You use to know that there would be a game every Thursday and Saturday, and that made it simple to adjust your life to watch a game. You knew every Thursday and Saturday was game day. The game is not as physical as it used to be. Miller's basketball philosophy is built on physicality where nastiness is required, but you cannot play that style of basketball now without getting in foul trouble. We now just play packline defense and try to keep our hands straight up. Doesn't seem too hard of a concept, but our guys can't execute it (I'm looking at you Ira Lee). The level of competition in the Pac is not what it used to be and our non-conference schedule is too soft. This was the knock on Gonzaga until they recently made a final four. You're not battle tested come tournament time, and you flame out. I think this is where we get hurt the most. We play a few solid games in early tournament games, but we've not had strong showings the last couple years. I'd rather play stronger competition and lose a few more games during the year, especially if it helps us in March.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

I'd also like to add that prior to this year, I have never been to a home game where the stadium is as empty as it has been this year. I find it so bizarre. The red/blue game was announced as a sellout, but was maybe 2/3 full. I went to the Utah Valley game, and it was about 2/3 full, same with the Baylor game. It's a sad sight.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

But isn't Jay Wright's style of coaching, which certainly includes limiting minutes for freshmen like Quinerly also very much like, "Do What We Do?"

I think the criticism of Miller is way to broad and misguided. I think Miller made a mistake and it cost him dearly: recruiting and staying with Parker Jackson Cartwright for four years. He was just good enough and improving enough to make you think he might be able get the rest of the team over the hump. But after four years, it was clear PJC was a detriment to the teams that failed in the NCAAs. A Lauri Markannen or a D'Andre Ayton can't always have a monster game. Especially when opponents are doing everything they can to prevent them from being the difference maker in a game. And when that happens, other players need to step up where there's a void and take advantage of opportunities. A good point guard does that when opponents are putting all their resources toward stopping your best player. But PJC couldn't do it because he simply wasn't good enough. And that ultimately is Miller's fault.

Now we're at the bottom with no premiere player like Markannen or Ayton to lean on. But it's clear with recruiting and the roster currently in place we'll be back in position. And this time we'll have a point guard (or two) to carry us when others can't.
prh

Post by prh »

It's also pretty easy to consider the last couple years of results and overlook the fact that twice, we were a buzzer shot away from a FF. Do What We Do worked pretty well when we had the recruits to do so, namely at PG.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

prh wrote:It's also pretty easy to consider the last couple years of results and overlook the fact that twice, we were a buzzer shot away from a FF. Do What We Do worked pretty well when we had the recruits to do so, namely at PG.
Agree. And if Ashley doesn't go down, we were definitely better than Wisconsin.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

zonagrad wrote:
prh wrote:It's also pretty easy to consider the last couple years of results and overlook the fact that twice, we were a buzzer shot away from a FF. Do What We Do worked pretty well when we had the recruits to do so, namely at PG.
Yup...I’ll go to my grave with the feeling that that could’ve been our year.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:
Newportcat wrote: I have no idea why anyone (Outside of all the money) would want to be a college basketball coach right now especially Miller. It has to be beyond frustrating compared to Lute's day and age.
Like HOFer Larry Brown said, the main difference between college and the NBA is that in college the players still listen to you. Can you imagine a micromanager like Sean Miller trying to tell Kobe or LeBron what do to?
Considering what little Dylan Smith does to help this team, I wouldn't say the players listen nearly as well to college coaches as they used to.

Maybe it's just the bad taste in my mouth the football program is leaving, but Arizona does not pay coaches long-term million dollar deals to come to Tucson and make excuses.

Much less hang recruiting banners. "Do what we do," in-season at least, has gotten too close to insanity for this fan's comfort. Innovation is required.

And I for one, am losing patience with the same old never-explained Miller oversights--overplaying Smith, underplaying Doutrive, looking lost against a zone, etc.

Maybe Lute's era is gone forever, but his mistakes always made him open and willing to change. For that reason, and for all the right other ones--so we thought--he fully endorsed Miller.

You can coach a certain amount of success, too, out of the "us vs. the world" culture Miller is fond of.

But what you cannot do is make progress within a closed system. And Miller cannot afford to turn the program into that. Even in this regressive conference.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Baylor just lost to Stephen F. Austin 59-58. Don't really know what to say about that.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Was just about to post that too. Good grief what an embarrassment.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Baylor just lost to Stephen F. Austin 59-58. Don't really know what to say about that.
SFA would also have outscored UofA last Saturday?

It was fun to watch the women’s team last night. They played like they actually cared. They may lose to ASsU, but I guarantee they’ll hit the deck to get loose balls. So to speak.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Anecdotal:
My friend invited a few people to watch UConn game (and the Bears) for his birthday.
I know it’s odd to find a Chicago fan in Tucson.
Anyway, he likes Native on Speedaway.
The bar wouldn’t put the U of A game on because of NFL.
I can’t imagine that happening in the 90s or early 00s in Tucson.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I would’ve been pissed, walked out, no tip, yelp/google review it to shreds and go all scorched earth on them

If young and drunk enough with little to lose, probably would pissed in the bathroom sink for pulling that weak sauce move on a cats fan birthday.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ah college and the days before adulthood responsibly.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Baylor just lost to Stephen F. Austin 59-58. Don't really know what to say about that.
It says we suck

oh wait, that's what losing to Baylor at home said.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

On the perimeter our screens appear to produce virtually no separation from defenders. Can someone with Xs and Os experience explain whether we don't know how to set screens or utilize them?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

This team is full of shooters that can't shoot.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Yup...I’ll go to my grave with the feeling that that could’ve been our year.
we were, what? 22-0?

Bash going down and not having Jerrett to fil that spot cost us what I believe was a 50% chance at the title. We had that combination of massive size and length, intensity, teamwork, and basketball IQ. And talent...without a doubt, talent. But that team had all the intangibles you want in a college basketball team. The next year was maybe more offensively versatile with Stanley, but AG's year was the year. I bought a plane ticket and lodging for Dallas mid year...figured I would go see friends no matter what, but really expected to see us there.

As for the whole basketball letdown...we've been through a lot the last year as fans. It's natural for there to be a "what am I doing" moment. But I just feel like it is a hiatus. I am still watching, invested as ever, but not as up and down about wins and losses. Except UConn...any longtime Arizona fan knows what UConn represents for our program. One of only two teams you can say have owned us in the modern era (Oklahoma being the other). I was out of my head for that game.

This year is all about getting better for Vegas. And slipping into the tournament if we can to say we went. Next year, the show starts again. And it starts with a more focused and humble coach and a group of players that will be led by some pretty high basketball IQ guys. We will have a true PG again.

So catch your breath...