2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I love this team for life and will never turn my back completely, but I’m definitely more checked-out at the moment than I have been in 20+ years. I just see so little growth and improvement in this team from week to week. It’s too hard to watch entire games.

But I’m keeping my eyes on the big picture. Next season has to be a fresh start. I’m now wondering if it’s better that Akot left, just in the sense that I want as many new players as possible. I want Jeter and BW back. Maybe Doutrive. The others may need to go.
Be careful what you wish for. If we wind up on probation "the others may need to go" might end up being the starters next year.

Even if we skate on NCAA sanctions we only have 4 serviceable frosh +gettings. Add in Jeter and Williams and you only have 7 players. Thats not enough bodies for an entire season. Injuries + crap happens.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Irish27 wrote:Let's hope Williams gets healthy along with Jeter before the Pac-12 tournament. If so, they beat asu before the tournament begins and then win four straight to make the NCAA tournament. I always say think positive because if you don't, you will fail. :)
I'm hoping for the same. The conference is total garbage. Hell, if could have hit a few FT's and wide open 3's we could have easily beat UW last thursday. There isn't anyone in the PAC12 we can't beat if we are healthy and shooting a decent % from 3.

And since I already have my PAC12 tourney tickets I would like to see the Cats win at least a game or two. I don't expect them to win but a win or two would take the sting
out of the season. We have to face the fact that this team is not particularly talented or deep.

Frankly, the majority of the posters here appear extremely spoiled. This is the first really, really bad year since 83/84. If we have to suffer one bad team every 36 years and can't handle it then the UA fanbase has truly reached UCLA's level of spoiled entitlement.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SabinoDrifter wrote:This team is shooting 41.8% from 2 in conference play. That is almost impossible!
Someone used to track missed bunnies. This team has to be nearing setting a record on that.

Another stat worth noting, Barcello must rim out 50% of his shots.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I was pretty pleased Miller seemed to bench Randolph in the 2nd half and played DD a bunch more. Only one of those two will be on the team next year, time to start preparing for that. Not much to say other than that. Jeter not being healthy and Williams being out injured make this a bottom 3 PAC12 team imo. Just no talent across the board. Please keep this recruiting class together Sean...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Amen on those last 2 comments wagg
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

The team is pretty horrible right now, but it was thin to begin the year, and now two starters are gone (Akot and Williams), so it seems like it will be challenging to win many more games. Another few weeks and this debacle of a season will be over.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Are people gonna jump back on the train if this team runs the table in Vegas...?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Olsondogg wrote:Are people gonna jump back on the train if this team runs the table in Vegas...?
You know they will
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:Are people gonna jump back on the train if this team runs the table in Vegas...?
Always want to see my team win a bunch of games in a row.

But what’s the upshot there? A 13 seed in the tourney?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:The team is pretty horrible right now, but it was thin to begin the year, and now two starters are gone (Akot and Williams), so it seems like it will be challenging to win many more games. Another few weeks and this debacle of a season will be over.
The losses of Akot, Jeter and BWill in succession really devastated our depth and rotation. Add in the emotional body blow of the Phelps situation and here we are.

I just would hope to see a way forward. So much of that is about Miller's future and I have no idea how the administration is handling that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

It doesn't cut us out of the draft lottery, so why not?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I do wonder what would be more beneficial to guys like Ira and DD...

A one & done NCAA tourney experience or the potential to play multiple games in the NIT?

I want the team to win every game they play, but I won’t be too broken up if they don’t make the Big Dance this year.

Of course the best outcome would be to make the Dance and win a bunch of games there. That’s where my heart is, but my head thinks my heart is a fucking idiot.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If this team runs the table in Vegas and gets a Tourney bid it will be the single biggest feat accomplished in AZ basketball history.

Just saying...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wasn't the 2008/9 Russ Pennell team a 12 seed? Ended up in the Sweet 16, but then again, he had 2 long term NBAers in Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill, along with great Euro player Kyle Fogg.

Not sure the Cats have a single future NBAer on this squad.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

A one & done NCAA tourney experience or the potential to play multiple games in the NIT?

I want the team to win every game they play, but I won’t be too broken up if they don’t make the Big Dance this year.

Of course the best outcome would be to make the Dance and win a bunch of games there. That’s where my heart is, but my head thinks my heart is a fucking idiot.
I see what you're getting at, but more practice time and games is more important for young football players than basketball players. If this team can get into the tournament they deserve a medal if not a banner in the rafters lol.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Are we talking jumping back on the Miller train or just back on the 2018-2019 team train?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I'd rather have pressure games than just more games. Honestly, I'm not sure we're definitely a NIT team or that we'd get multiple games there either.

Might as well shoot for the stars.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Are we talking jumping back on the Miller train or just back on the 2018-2019 team train?
I never left the Miller train. The team, I'd like to see the players do well, but just doubt we have it in us.

The exterior stuff has taken a toll.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats were destroyed by NIT teams UCLA and USC albeit without a full roster, so I would agree with Spiff that NIT is not a sure thing.

Williams has had congenital knee issues since high school, so who knows if he will even be back. Just double Jeter, and let Randolph and the other guards chuck away awful 3 point shots.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I never left the Miller train. The team, I'd like to see the players do well, but just doubt we have it in us.

The exterior stuff is why I am currently off the Miller train.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I see what you're getting at, but more practice time and games is more important for young football players than basketball players. If this team can get into the tournament they deserve a medal if not a banner in the rafters lol.
I agree about football vs. basketball since these kids play basketball every day of their lives, whether it’s organized or just goofing around.

I do see some value in the tourney setting though. Especially playing against different styles/systems with minimal prep time and in a win-or-go home situation.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

What do you mean by that Choo?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

What do you mean by that Choo?
See my latest post in the bribe/Book thread.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

lol, the only table they'll be running in Vegas will be the buffet table - with this coach at the helm!
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

RiseAndFire wrote:

lol, the only table they'll be running in Vegas will be the buffet table - with this coach at the helm!
That is an awful post, even for you.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Much like the rest of the Pac-12, RiseAndFail has the opportunity to really squash Arizona basketball into the dust this year but has been really really mediocre himself.

R&F, maybe speed up your posting. Your jokes will get much better results at a faster pace.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

This team is not running the table in Vegas.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

midnightx wrote:
Pretty sure most people would have said the same thing about any Miller lead team losing 5 of 6
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Chances could be getting better for a shot at winning 4 in a row in Las Vegas. :)
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

PHXCATS wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Pretty sure most people would have said the same thing about any Miller lead team losing 5 of 6
and most people would say it’s impossible to go from #2 to unranked in a week with a #1 draft pick in the lineup. But with Miller anything is possible!
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

RiseAndFire wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
midnightx wrote:
and most people would say it’s impossible to go from #2 to unranked in a week with a #1 draft pick in the lineup. But with Miller anything is possible!
And most would say that there is no way you could take such an intellectual beat down on a repeated basis and yet rise again from the ashes to fire away with your poorly constructed arguments. And yet here we are . . .
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

so, anyone think we get back to .500 in conference play tomorrow night in utah?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:so, anyone think we get back to .500 in conference play tomorrow night in utah?
I don't think we win another game the rest of the year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cal is really bad, so the Cats have a chance that game
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

]They took UCLA to OT last night. Had a pretty good lead at one point
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

This league is so bad, I think any team could win on any night
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

loomer

Post by loomer »

Merkin wrote:
If he can't produce on this team, I'm not sure how he can produce anywhere else. Randolph is a one dimensional player who would be a 3rd or 4th guy off the bench on most Arizona teams
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’d like to see Miller run some lobs or something to Randolph.
Or some sort of play to get him going; get some confidence
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Plays where he doesn't have to make a quick read.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Eaton was on radio the other day saying how they used to run a double baseline screen to get a guy open for a lob.

I think those playes can help a guy get back in grove. Maybe get team fired up.
Randolph has the hops to do it.
Need to try something
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

On a different note, did the Cats play zone while all the scrubs were in at Utah?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Postmaster wrote:On a different note, did the Cats play zone while all the scrubs were in at Utah?
Yes
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Postmaster wrote:Eaton was on radio the other day saying how they used to run a double baseline screen to get a guy open for a lob.

Need to try something
Yup, Miller used to do that all the time against zones with guys like Gordon and RHJ.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
billk78

Post by billk78 »

TucsonClip wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Eaton was on radio the other day saying how they used to run a double baseline screen to get a guy open for a lob.

Need to try something
Yup, Miller used to do that all the time against zones with guys like Gordon and RHJ.
We are a long way from guys like Gordon an RHJ unfortunately. I don't see the talent on this team to run those kinds of plays. Coleman can't pass (was supposed to be his strength) and guys just arent good at finding openings. The lack of talent on the roster is very obvious now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My best guess is it's a combination of 1) Miller discovers what this team can and can't do in practice, and 2) some of those stupid sequences we see on offense this years are intended to be something entirely different than how they unfold.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

You mean to say the play where Coleman dribbled through everyone two times then jacked up a three as the clock expired wasn’t drawn up that way?
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Heaven forbid trying to use zone with this less talented and short handed team. Miller said the team was gassed at the end. Maybe help those kids out a little bit so they are not running around chasing there man when the there is no bench. No f-ck that idea because zone is beneath us. Oh but we really like this 10 th place in the PAC.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I might cry if we lose at home to Cal.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This team is so hard to watch, but I'll keep doing it.