let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: let's talk '20

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I guess thx Spiff? That still makes no sense to me. Recruiting sucks.
I'm just messing around. I don't understand emoji tweets, man.
Whew! That's a relief. I was gobsmacked by the Jedi mind trick.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If ASU hires his high school head coach as an assistant as expected he's going there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Nice article on Dalen Terry putting on his recruiting hat for Sean Miller.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... w-schools/

"[Arizona coach] Sean Miller wanted me to commit [early]," Terry explained Sunday, a few minutes after completing camp at the United States Olympic & Paralympic Training Center. "[The staff] wanted me to commit early because they knew I could get guys. So they told me a bunch of guys [to target], and then I came back [to them] with even more guys. We had a conversation about who to get at; I was just mentioning a lot of players. And they were saying, 'Can we get them?' And I was like, 'Yeah, you can get them.' So I'm gonna keep recruiting them."

Whom, exactly?

"Dawson Garcia. Adam Miller. ... DJ Steward. Jaden Hardy. Skyy Clark. All those guys," Terry answered. "And I think I'm doing good. We're bonding as a group right now -- having those conversations at the lunch table, at the dinner table. It's just a real good thing."

Anyone have insight into those particular players?
Garcia will be a battle, but we're doing well. Steward will end up at Duke, Hardy & Clark are 2021 so it's too early, and Miller I don't have any reason to believe we'd land him at the moment.
any change to that feeling now that Miller has visited Choo?
If ASU doesn't hire his coach as an assistant then we'd have a solid shot, but even if that scenario takes place I think he ends up at Illinois ultimately. I've been wrong before though.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I guess thx Spiff? That still makes no sense to me. Recruiting sucks.
I wonder if bwill knows what it means. I love decodong!

I think the red and blue hearts means he likes it here but then hes messing with the fan base with his question marks and "shhhhhh" photo

So he likes to play games and he probly thinks he's good.

It looks to me like he is not planning on coming here at this time.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think the red and blue hearts means he likes it here but then hes messing with the fan base with his question marks and "shhhhhh" photo

Guess that means he's not going to ASU either.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1z-UnIhBXl ... 7y3fpfdarc" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Choo, doesn't it just look like he's doing one of these for each of his "finalists" (such a dumb term), though, before picking a date to officially announce? I'd be surprised if he doesn't do one of these for Illinois too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Choo, doesn't it just look like he's doing one of these for each of his "finalists" (such a dumb term), though, before picking a date to officially announce? I'd be surprised if he doesn't do one of these for Illinois too.
I was being sarcastic Beach.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The tweet means “Yo what would y’all think if I was a wildcat??” It’s typical among recruits right now - frenzy up the crowd with a pic (or four) in the jersey and with the motto shoutout, but let every other fan base know it’s just play with the “no commit.”
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

This guy loves the social media attention...
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Peyton Watson visiting next weekend...would love a commitment.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Peyton Watson visiting next weekend...would love a commitment.
2021 kid though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

We made Dawson Garcia's final 7. I'd expect us to get an official and be one of the main finalists.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:We made Dawson Garcia's final 7. I'd expect us to get an official and be one of the main finalists.
"Final 7"...lol! Remember when guys pretty much made it clear it was between 2 to 3 schools tops? Now these guys tweet out lists of "finalists" like they're oddsmakers. AZ is at 5 to 1 to land Dawson Garcia! It's really silly.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:We made Dawson Garcia's final 7. I'd expect us to get an official and be one of the main finalists.
"Final 7"...lol! Remember when guys pretty much made it clear it was between 2 to 3 schools tops? Now these guys tweet out lists of "finalists" like they're oddsmakers. AZ is at 5 to 1 to land Dawson Garcia! It's really silly.
Kind of makes me not like the kid.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

cpt wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
FWIW he's truly open and probably won't be deciding until the Spring.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

cpt wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Every recruit does this, so you don't like every recruit.

PS - we really want this kid.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
cpt wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

P.S.S. - We really need this kid
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
cpt wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

P.S.S. - We really need this kid
I'm starting to get the feeling that this 2020 class may be transfer heavy...gotta think at best we land like 4 of the current high school guys we are going after.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
I'm starting to get the feeling that this 2020 class may be transfer heavy...gotta think at best we land like 4 of the current high school guys we are going after.
Thing is we're not even really going after a lot of guys, there's not even a HS related back up for some of these opttions (namely Garcia). My guess is Arizona gets Dalen Terry, Puff Johnson, Kerwin Walton, and has a good chance for Garcia. Adam Miller has been a waste of time since day one and Ziaire I think ultimately goes to a North Carolina school, although we're doing better for him than people think. Point guard will definitely be addressed via a transfer of some sort. TBD on the rest.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

As expected, Dj Steward to Duke
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Thing is we're not even really going after a lot of guys, there's not even a HS related back up for some of these opttions (namely Garcia). My guess is Arizona gets Dalen Terry, Puff Johnson, Kerwin Walton, and has a good chance for Garcia. Adam Miller has been a waste of time since day one and Ziaire I think ultimately goes to a North Carolina school, although we're doing better for him than people think. Point guard will definitely be addressed via a transfer of some sort. TBD on the rest.
CCC, so was Miller's visit to Miller more for building relationships in chicago?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
That's exactly what I figured...seems like a big (if we don't get Dawson) and then a point guard or two will need to come via transfer, which is whatever. Not really worried about the frontcourt in 2020, but the point guard situation terrifies me, whoever that transfer may be is key. Is Jaden Hardy potentially a reclass candidate? Certainly hope so.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
CCC, so was Miller's visit to Miller more for building relationships in chicago?
Eh when you're in the area might as well take a swing. Murphy has Chicago connections so it probably had to do with that as well.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
cpt wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Then why even announce a list of "finalists" at all? Why not keep it "open"?

The whole notion of "finalists" is ridiculous. Makes recruiting feel like a job search, only the player is the company and the schools are the applicants.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
cpt wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Then why even announce a list of "finalists" at all? Why not keep it "open"?

The whole notion of "finalists" is ridiculous. Makes recruiting feel like a job search, only the player is the company and the schools are the applicants.
He's open to 7 schools specifically, hence why they're his finalists.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Thing is we're not even really going after a lot of guys, there's not even a HS related back up for some of these options
Miller has never done this. I hope this isn't a sign...
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Askew a reclassify candidate?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

We should keep in mind that we ought to have Jordan Brown, Ira Lee, and Christian Koloko next season. So not at all a bare cupboard in the post.

A freshman forward who can play both front court spots would be welcome. If they could stretch the floor that would be even more enticing given that none of those three guys we'll return have an outside shot. Garcia obviously fits that mold, but I worry about a five star freshman finding their role beside (or behind) Brown and Lee. A guy who can do well with 20min/g off the bench would be ideal, I think. To that end, I could see a grad transfer a la Luther / Gettings / Tollefson.

Then again, that "more limited role" projected need relies on Brown and Koloko adding enough weight that they can reliably play the five. Brown, FWIW, looks almost like a lost cause in that regard as he's listed again at 210 lbs - about the same size as Chance Comanche and some 30lbs lighter than Chase Jeter. Brown unfortunately doesn't have elite length or athleticism to offset that lack of strength (with only a +1 - 2" wingspan and a 30" standing / 35" max vertical - he's quick but not explosive). Failing to add to his strength this season will significantly lower his ceiling, as those other two attributes aren't going to change.

Okay... that all sounds fairly negative, so this is me trying not to talk myself out of Brown as a stud big who can play both post positions for us next season: Hopefully Brown finally bulks up while sitting this season and Koloko continues to add to his frame and skill. That'd make a miss on the recruiting front much more palatable. I was super high on Brown a year ago when we chased him, and its understandable that he couldn't break through at Nevada as an 18 year old playing behind 23 year old grad transfers Trey Porter and Tre'Shawn Thurman. Musselman was 346th out of 353 D1 schools in bench minutes despite a deep roster - he simply didn't play his men.

Hopefully Brown finds his game (and the lunch room) in his season sitting and comes on strong next season, negating a need for an impact freshman in the paint.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Two questions...

1. Is Brandon Williams' basketball career over?
2. Is it a foregone conclusion that Josh is OAD?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:We should keep in mind that we ought to have Jordan Brown, Ira Lee, and Christian Koloko next season. So not at all a bare cupboard in the post.

A freshman forward who can play both front court spots would be welcome. If they could stretch the floor that would be even more enticing given that none of those three guys we'll return have an outside shot. Garcia obviously fits that mold, but I worry about a five star freshman finding their role beside (or behind) Brown and Lee. A guy who can do well with 20min/g off the bench would be ideal, I think. To that end, I could see a grad transfer a la Luther / Gettings / Tollefson.

Then again, that "more limited role" projected need relies on Brown and Koloko adding enough weight that they can reliably play the five. Brown, FWIW, looks almost like a lost cause in that regard as he's listed again at 210 lbs - about the same size as Chance Comanche and some 30lbs lighter than Chase Jeter. Brown unfortunately doesn't have elite length or athleticism to offset that lack of strength (with only a +1 - 2" wingspan and a 30" standing / 35" max vertical - he's quick but not explosive). Failing to add to his strength this season will significantly lower his ceiling, as those other two attributes aren't going to change.

Okay... that all sounds fairly negative, so this is me trying not to talk myself out of Brown as a stud big who can play both post positions for us next season: Hopefully Brown finally bulks up while sitting this season and Koloko continues to add to his frame and skill. That'd make a miss on the recruiting front much more palatable. I was super high on Brown a year ago when we chased him, and its understandable that he couldn't break through at Nevada as an 18 year old playing behind 23 year old grad transfers Trey Porter and Tre'Shawn Thurman. Musselman was 346th out of 353 D1 schools in bench minutes despite a deep roster - he simply didn't play his men.

Hopefully Brown finds his game (and the lunch room) in his season sitting and comes on strong next season, negating a need for an impact freshman in the paint.
I'd be ok with Brown and Lee starting as 5 and 4 respectively. Size and strength just isn't as glaring on the college level as we've grown accustomed to. 6'10, 220 is fine for a college 5.

He'll be a 3rd year guy by then, and a year vs Jeter in practice should help a lot. That's actually what I'm most confident in.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Yes, but I would expect him to go to a school located in Kentucky.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:We should keep in mind that we ought to have Jordan Brown, Ira Lee, and Christian Koloko next season. So not at all a bare cupboard in the post.

TLDNR, start Garcia and Brown side by side with Koloko and Lee backing them up and profit.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Bowling Green? :)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Two questions...

1. He's hoping it's not.
2. If he's a surefire 1st rounder, yes.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Bowling Green? :)
Bowling Green State University is in Ohio! Western Kentucky University does have a nice ring to it though...
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

1. He's hoping it's not.
In that case, it’s possible, however unlikely, that both Green and BW could be on our roster next season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kerwin Walton out of nowhere just got a UNC offer.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Kerwin Walton out of nowhere just got a UNC offer.
Is he still coming for an official visit next week?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:
Yes, he'll be at red/blue.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

1. He's hoping it's not.
In that case, it’s possible, however unlikely, that both Green and BW could be on our roster next season.
It would take something catastrophic for Green not to be a first rounder.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Yes, he'll be at red/blue.
#commitwatch
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

1. He's hoping it's not.
I get that, Spiff, but every year there are freshmen who begin the season with lofty year-one expectations but don’t quite reach them. It takes a lot to be a first round pick.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:1. Is Brandon Williams' basketball career over?
Every post on his social media suggests otherwise. He really makes it sound like he will be back
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:
Every post on his social media suggests otherwise. He really makes it sound like he will be back
A 2020 backcourt of Brandon Williams / Jermal Baker / Dalen Terry / Devonaire Doutrive / Kerwin Walton would not suck.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Any chance on Caleb Love? Five star PG/CG out of St. Louis. It's down to Arizona, UNC, Kansas, and Louisville... high level group of competitors. Oh and Missouri (as if).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Any chance on Caleb Love? It's down to Arizona, UNC, Kansas, and Louisville... high level group of competitors. Oh and Missouri (as if).
It's down to 4 teams and Arizona is not one of them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:
He fully intends to try to keep playing basketball that's for sure. Will he be able to though...?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Any chance on Caleb Love? It's down to Arizona, UNC, Kansas, and Louisville... high level group of competitors. Oh and Missouri (as if).
It's down to 4 teams and Arizona is not one of them.
Figured that. Thanks Choo.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

1. He's hoping it's not.
I get that, Spiff, but every year there are freshmen who begin the season with lofty year-one expectations but don’t quite reach them. It takes a lot to be a first round pick.
Yeah, but in Green's case, I think physical measurables alone get him into the first round barring injury. I see him similar to Nassir Little, who was a bench guy at UNC, but still was a first round projection based on his physical talent.

Green's athleticisim, frame and length gets him a first round grade alone unless he gets injured or forgets how to dribble.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: I get that, Spiff, but every year there are freshmen who begin the season with lofty year-one expectations but don’t quite reach them. It takes a lot to be a first round pick.
Yeah, but in Green's case, I think physical measurables alone get him into the first round barring injury. I see him similar to Nassir Little, who was a bench guy at UNC, but still was a first round projection based on his physical talent.

Green's athleticisim, frame and length gets him a first round grade alone unless he gets injured or forgets how to dribble.
Yeah you look at Little as the downside case - both freak athletes with great length, highly touted out of high school. But the knocks on Little shouldn't apply to Green: uninterested, low BBIQ, poor feel for the game. The poor outside shooting could apply to Green, that's TBD, but plenty of NBA-bodied wings don't shoot well in college and still get drafted on upside (RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish say hello).

What will deliver for Green is his feel for the game, his engagement, and his high IQ. He's the opposite of Little in that regard. Playing alongside his familiar running-mate Mannion will only help in buttressing those strengths. So the scouts see an NBA-bodied 19 year old with great athleticism and good feel for the game (and maybe a developing jumper)... that's a top 20 pick, no doubt.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.