let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '20

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:BYU self-sanctioned, the NCAA sanctioned more.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /38459199/" target="_blank

Ole Miss self-sanctioned, the NCAA sanctioned more.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tions-ncaa" target="_blank

Hell Arizona self-sanctioned for buying Jamelle Horne a slice of pizza and the NCAA sanctioned us more.

It's what they do. You're either willfully ignorant to this process or you're trolling dmj. I really hope it's the latter.
And the VAST majority of schools that self sanction DON't get hit with additional sanctions. If you don't know that (or are unwilling to admit it) then you shouldn't be posting on message boards.
That's the wrong argument. The correct point you need to make to support your argument is a school that got MORE sanctions from the NCAA because they didn't self sanction.

But that isn't really a thing. The NCAA takes self sactioning as a baseline and sees if they have to work up. If you don't confess anything and make them actually prove a case against you, 78.3% of the time they can't even do that.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:BYU self-sanctioned, the NCAA sanctioned more.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /38459199/" target="_blank

Ole Miss self-sanctioned, the NCAA sanctioned more.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tions-ncaa" target="_blank

Hell Arizona self-sanctioned for buying Jamelle Horne a slice of pizza and the NCAA sanctioned us more.

It's what they do. You're either willfully ignorant to this process or you're trolling dmj. I really hope it's the latter.
And the VAST majority of schools that self sanction DON't get hit with additional sanctions. If you don't know that (or are unwilling to admit it) then you shouldn't be posting on message boards.
That's the wrong argument. The correct point you need to make to support your argument is a school that got MORE sanctions from the NCAA because they didn't self sanction.

But that isn't really a thing. The NCAA takes self sactioning as a baseline and sees if they have to work up. If you don't confess anything and make them actually prove a case against you, 78.3% of the time they can't even do that.
If this were a One-Off situation involving only the UA I would agree Spiff. Unfortunately, its not. The horrific press we have received, coupled with the pressure on the NCAA to come down hard on the cheaters, is almost certain to get us clobbered regardless whether or not the NCAA can "prove" the allegations.

Again, I will cheerfully admit I am wrong if the NCAA lets us slide, our recruiting doesn't suffer, and the press gets off our back............I just think thats highly, highly unlikely.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

gronk4heisman wrote:I think dmjcat just hates Nico and Josh and Zeke....because self sanctioning means we probably get none of them.

At this point I just want to ride out the storm and then dump Sean Miller after we come out the other end and get an actually decent in game coach. Granted I am probably in the minority who thinks Sean Miller is not a top 25 coach (great recruiter) who can take us where we all want to go.
Disagree on all points

Self Sanctioning would have had zero effect on our present freshman class..........in fact it would have assured them that we would have already taken the hit.

If you want to shoot Miller then we should have done that 2 years ago (along with self sanctioning).

I for one want to see Miller continue at the UA for a long time. We have ZERO assurance that we would be able to procure a coach that can consistently recruit at a high level. We might end up with the basketball equivalent of Mackovic.

Do I wish that we had Dana Altman as head coach?? Sure, but thats not likely to happen anytime soon.

If Millers recruiting takes a sharp multi-year drop off.........then I would be open to replacing him.
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If we self sanctioned all it would do would be to lengthen our penalties. The NCAA moves so slowly that the NCAA would probably act only after our self sanctions ended. It is beyond stupid to self sanction.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman wrote:If we self sanctioned all it would do would be to lengthen our penalties. The NCAA moves so slowly that the NCAA would probably act only after our self sanctions ended. It is beyond stupid to self sanction.

Thanks for making my point. At the rate the NCAA is moving we may not get hit for a couple of more years.........all the while we are still experiencing constant negative press/negative recruiting. Better to have dealt with the mess years ago.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ok enough of this crap in the recruiting thread, take this to the FBI thread where it belongs. We've discussed this ad nauseam, every one with a brain knows dmj is wrong, and dmj keeps yelling into the wind and we keep humoring him. Move on guys or at the very least take it elsewhere.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I've never seen a thread derailed so quickly by an argument that deserves less attention.

You don't admit guilt to the NCAA, you don't self sanction. Everyone knows that because the evidence is plentiful and direct.

This is a great board and its blissfully rare that someone comes in smearing shit on the walls, demanding attention for their hard work and creative efforts. Let's go ahead and ignore this recent effort to debase the forum.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Ok enough of this crap in the recruiting thread, take this to the FBI thread where it belongs. We've discussed this ad nauseam, every one with a brain knows dmj is wrong, and dmj keeps yelling into the wind and we keep humoring him. Move on guys or at the very least take it elsewhere.
Translation: I can't make a rational argument to support my view so lets all hold our breath until we are blue in the face and hope the bad guy spreading facts/reality goes away.

Keep sticking your head in the sand.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

These Russian troll farms are increasingly well funded.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Ok enough of this crap in the recruiting thread, take this to the FBI thread where it belongs. We've discussed this ad nauseam, every one with a brain knows dmj is wrong, and dmj keeps yelling into the wind and we keep humoring him. Move on guys or at the very least take it elsewhere.
If everyone would just put him on ignore, no one would even have to see his ridiculous posts. Only reason I see some of them is that people quote his foolishness.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Miller stated that he will have 4-5 recruits coming in next year, most of which will be not be in the spring.

Say what you want about Miller, but if you are arguing about his inability to recruit...that's ridiculous.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Miller stated that he will have 4-5 recruits coming in next year, most of which will be not be in the spring.

Say what you want about Miller, but if you are arguing about his inability to recruit...that's ridiculous.
Yeah, he'll figure it out. I'm not 100% on it, but I think in the end we get Kerwin Walton, we put in the most work, and Miller has a very good relationship with his HS coach (he made a point to shower him with praises in a recent presser). I do think he may pull the same maneuver Nnaji did in regards to committing after the fall signing period ends and waiting to sign until the Spring to make sure every checks out.

After that try your best to convince Ziaire to leave the confines of California and from there it's playing the transfer lottery. Maybe an international guy or two become options as well. A lot to be determined for how the class shakes out, but Miller may have up to 7 open scholarships after this season, so a lot of work to be done.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Olsondogg wrote:Miller stated that he will have 4-5 recruits coming in next year, most of which will be not be in the spring.

Miller is a top 5 recruiter no doubt about it and a top 30 or so actual coach, hopefully he is able to find some gold under a rock because this class is shaping up to be a down year. It does seem curious that we would have Zaire take his official during such a boring game, maybe it was the only time that worked or maybe he really wanted to see the homecoming parade.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah, he'll figure it out. I'm not 100% on it, but I think in the end we get Kerwin Walton, we put in the most work, and Miller has a very good relationship with his HS coach (he made a point to shower him with praises in a recent presser). I do think he may pull the same maneuver Nnaji did in regards to committing after the fall signing period ends and waiting to sign until the Spring to make sure every checks out.

After that try your best to convince Ziaire to leave the confines of California and from there it's playing the transfer lottery. Maybe an international guy or two become options as well. A lot to be determined for how the class shakes out, but Miller may have up to 7 open scholarships after this season, so a lot of work to be done.
7 guys would be...woof. You think there's any way Osasere Ighodaro starts looking around if Marquette lands Dawson Garcia? Any other high school guys you think could come as late targets? Or potential reclass guys other than Anselem?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

It is going to resemble the class of last year...I'd bet on grad transfers and euro as well...and probably some 3-4 stars that people will bitch about.

People are also discounting the kids that will commit to a coach that will get canned or leave...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

7 guys would be...woof. You think there's any way Osasere Ighodaro starts looking around if Marquette lands Dawson Garcia? Any other high school guys you think could come as late targets? Or potential reclass guys other than Anselem?
I'd expect Garcia to go to Indiana, so probably not, and Arizona wasn't much on him either way for reasons I'm unaware of. I'm not aware of any other HS guys, although there is one I'm hoping we move on, but I don't think it's going to happen as of yet. I think international, transfers, and maybe some guys getting out of NLIs after the season would be our primary targets.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'd expect Garcia to go to Indiana, so probably not, and Arizona wasn't much on him either way for reasons I'm unaware of. I'm not aware of any other HS guys, although there is one I'm hoping we move on, but I don't think it's going to happen as of yet. I think international, transfers, and maybe some guys getting out of NLIs after the season would be our primary targets.
Makes sense, thanks Choo.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jemarl Baker (RS Jr)
Devonaire Doutrive (Jr)
Dalen Terry (Fr)
Ira Lee (Sr)
Jordan Brown (RS So)
Christian Koloko (So)

Add Kerwin Walton for depth and shooting on the wing
Add a sub-100 big man (Dishon Jackson?) or grad transfer forward (who can shoot?) or return Nnaji (somehow?) for depth in the post rotation
And God willing add a healthy Brandon Williams

...that's a very respectable rotation for a year where we have sanction risk looming.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Jemarl Baker (RS Jr)
Devonaire Doutrive (Jr)
Dalen Terry (Fr)
Ira Lee (Sr)
Jordan Brown (RS So)
Christian Koloko (So)

Add a sub-100 big man (Dishon Jackson?) or grad transfer forward (who can shoot?) or return Nnaji (somehow?) for depth in the post rotation

...that's a very respectable rotation for a year where we have sanction risk looming.
I'm not 100% convinced that we're losing Nico, JG and Zeke. Maybe two of the three, but not all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Devonaire Doutrive (Jr)
Dalen Terry (Fr)
Ira Lee (Sr)
Jordan Brown (RS So)
Christian Koloko (So)

BWill is the most underrated part of next year's solutions. Having him back and ready to realize his potential would add an experienced, top 25 recruit at PG.

From there, we would check most of the boxes solidly with Baker, Doutrive, Lee and Brown with Koloko off the bench plus new guys and unexpected returners.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Devonaire Doutrive (Jr)
Dalen Terry (Fr)
Ira Lee (Sr)
Jordan Brown (RS So)
Christian Koloko (So)

I'm not 100% convinced that we're losing Nico, JG and Zeke. Maybe two of the three, but not all.
Agreed, losing all 3 of them seems far-fetched to me. Frankly though, I think all of them have like a 60% chance of being OaD so I'm not sure which of them is most likely to come back.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Devonaire Doutrive (Jr)
Dalen Terry (Fr)
Ira Lee (Sr)
Jordan Brown (RS So)
Christian Koloko (So)

Agreed, losing all 3 of them seems far-fetched to me. Frankly though, I think all of them have like a 60% chance of being OaD so I'm not sure which of them is most likely to come back.
I'd say the most likely to be OaD, at least based on what I've seen, is JG. I don't think he's playing more than one season at AZ. Nico is clearly projected to be OaD, but he'll have to prove that he's worthy of a first-round pick, let alone a lotto pick. I haven't seen a single mock with Zeke projected as a first rounder. The bottom line is that we won't really have a good read on this for a while longer.

That said, I don't think we're losing all three.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Devonaire Doutrive (Jr)
Dalen Terry (Fr)
Ira Lee (Sr)
Jordan Brown (RS So)
Christian Koloko (So)

I'd say the most likely to be OaD, at least based on what I've seen, is JG. I don't think he's playing more than one season at AZ. Nico is clearly projected to be OaD, but he'll have to prove that he's worthy of a first-round pick, let alone a lotto pick. I haven't seen a single mock with Zeke projected as a first rounder. The bottom line is that we won't really have a good read on this for a while longer.

The two I'm most confident in being OAD are Zeke and Nico. If JG is a 1st rounder he's gone as well and he may be that on potential alone.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Devonaire Doutrive (Jr)
Dalen Terry (Fr)
Ira Lee (Sr)
Jordan Brown (RS So)
Christian Koloko (So)

The two I'm most confident in being OAD are Zeke and Nico. If JG is a 1st rounder he's gone as well and he may be that on potential alone.
Crazy! Why do you think national media are ignoring Zeke, choo? If he's going to be OaD, he is *very* under the radar at the moment.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Crazy! Why do you think national media are ignoring Zeke, choo? If he's going to be OaD, he is *very* under the radar at the moment.
They go by recruit rankings. If he's not the best player on the team already he's damn close.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
They go by recruit rankings. If he's not the best player on the team already he's damn close.
I've said this before, but if we have 3 first round picks on this team, we are going to be damn good.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

It's going to be hard to keep JG out of the first round with his frame (6'6" w/ +4 wingspan), elite athleticism, and hints of high-level BBIQ. Any amount of shooting touch and he's a lottery pick. I think scouts take the upside on his shooting and he's drafted in the top 20.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Right on target... here's Sam Vecenie of the Athletic dropping his initial 2020 mock draft today:

17. Portland Trail Blazers
Nico Mannion | 6-3 guard | 18 years old, freshman | Arizona

Scouts who have gone to Arizona practices have come away with the impression that the coaching staff is trying to pump the brakes on the pro hype surrounding Mannion just a bit. It’s not that they don’t think he’s a one-and-done or a likely first-round pick or anything. It’s more about evaluators around the industry having him as a potential top-10 pick and Arizona wanting to manage expectations about someone who will be an extremely popular player this season.

Honestly, I do understand why. Mannion is not some incredible athlete who will be able to buzz in and out of the lane in the NBA with ease. He’s a high-IQ guard who gets by with feel for the game. His play with a ball-screen is really strong. In those situations, his footwork is terrific, and he has all of the little tricks you look for to change speeds and directions to find the empty spot in those defensive coverages. And once he does that and gets into the paint, Mannion is really good at using his touch from the midrange and his terrific passing ability to tear the defense apart from the inside. It’s also worth noting that he’s a strong shooter from distance off the dribble.

Still, the question scouts have asked about Mannion is whether he’s athletic or skilled enough to become a starting point guard who can consistently break down defenders. Can his offensive aptitude make up for what will, undeniably, be some real defensive concerns in the NBA? He just doesn’t have the length, lateral quickness or strength to become a plus defender, in all likelihood. This season should do a bit to tell us about that. Still, I am curious to see how his frame and athleticism look as he steps up in competition.

He’s one of the guys I’m most looking forward to watching this season. I’m going to default to what the scouts have told me for now, despite my overall interest in Mannion long-term. After having seen him for two straight weeks last year at Hoop Summit and McDonald’s All-American, I would have had him in the lottery. We’ll see, though.

Another thing worth noting: Arizona has consistently been talking up center Zeke Nnaji quite a bit in the preseason. I am not sure I see the NBA translation there yet, so he won’t feature on this mock draft. But expect him to contribute early for the Wildcats.

18. Orlando Magic
Josh Green| 6-5 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Arizona

Much like many prospects in this class, Green is one whose game features big-time strengths and big-time questions. On the positive end, Green plays really hard and is a terrific athlete. At 6-foot-5 with a 6-10 wingspan, he has good size and length for the wing position. He imposes that athleticism best in transition right now, where he runs the floor hard and creates action plays.

On offense, he’s a strong straight-line driver with a good first step. He’s not a true creator who can change pace or direction to get defenders off balance, but he can catch and attack from a wing, and use his speed to buzz into the paint. He’s also a really good cutter, who should form a terrific partnership on those with point guard Nico Mannion.

Defensively, that motor plays up and he should be one of the better on-ball guys in the Pac-12 on the wing. We’ll see how the help-side defense is, but for the most part he has all of the tools to be a strong player on that end.

The big question for me remains the jumper. Green made shots at a clip that wasn’t particularly unreasonable at IMG Academy during his prep years. But I wasn’t a huge fan of the mechanics when I’ve scouted him. He has a low release point with his elbow slightly flaring, which leads to a flatter trajectory on the arc. His touch isn’t bad and there’s upside, but Green has to do some work on his mechanics to become a floor-spacing wing. To take him this high would be a bet on that upside as a shooter, given that he likely won’t be an offensive creator. Right now, given the dearth of other options, I’m willing to bet on that figuring itself out, given some of his other tools.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I've said this before, but if we have 3 first round picks on this team, we are going to be damn good.
We may not have 3 first round picks, but we may have 3 guys who leave early for the draft. It's happened before; it'll happen again.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
We may not have 3 first round picks, but we may have 3 guys who leave early for the draft. It's happened before; it'll happen again.
I buy the above.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

dmjcat wrote:UA is NOT UNC. Just ask Puff Johnson.

At this point its difficult to realistically make the argument that we shouldn't have self sanctioned. What would have happened if we had?

1) We would have avoided the embarrassment of the Buffalo beat-down on National TV
2) We would not have the sanctions boogey-man hanging over our heads.......and screwing up our 2020 recruiting
3) We would already be 18 months past the bad headlines.....and all of the talking heads would be picking on some
other program
What if we take off and nuke the Arizona campus from orbit? It’s the only way to be sure...[/quote]

LOL, your "argument" is even less cognizant than Choo's yawn :lol: :lol:

At some point most rational people admit when they are wrong.[/quote]

My argument is that you remind me of Bill Paxton’s character in Aliens.

Secure that shit Hudson.[/quote]

In other words, you don't have an argument. Not surprised. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote

Actually I agree with DMJCat and feel he presents a rational argument. Just because his opinion doesn't coincide with yours doesn't amount to you having some sort of rational superiority. As John Wooden used to say, If everyone is thinking alike nobody's thinking. I get it, everyone's entitled to your opinion. Seems to be an epidemic neurosis on this board.
Last edited by Captain Obvious on Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If you two guys are going to pollute our thread at least figure out how to use the quote feature.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Too busy slobbing Roy’s nuts to use an Arizona fan site message board properly.

Maybe these jamokes are ASSU alums...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Somebody remind me how the mute / ignore feature works.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Somebody remind me how the mute / ignore feature works.

User Control Panel

Friends and Foes

Mark them as Foes
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UAEebs86 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Somebody remind me how the mute / ignore feature works.

User Control Panel

Friends and Foes

Mark them as Foes
Done and done, thx
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Actually I agree with DMJCat and feel he presents a rational argument. Just because his opinion doesn't coincide with yours doesn't amount to you having some sort of rational superiority. As John Wooden used to say, If everyone is thinking alike nobody's thinking. I get it, everyone's entitled to your opinion. Seems to be an epidemic neurosis on this board.
The problem isn’t that he has a contrary opinion. The problem is that he engages in the selfsame delusional assuredness that his opinion is the absolute right one. The reality is nobody had a fucking clue what is going to happen and in the absence of that, how to move forward is absolutely uncertain.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Ok... You were not kidding.

Zeke is fricking good.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Zeke is fricking good.
Yup. Just think that the other best player in practice has been Doutrive, so imagine what it'll be like when he starts playing again.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Zeke is fricking good.
Yup. Just think that the other best player in practice has been Doutrive, so imagine what it'll be like when he starts playing again.
In that case, hopefully his mistakes do not cement him in Millers dog house.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Adam Miller is announcing his decision next week but won’t sign during the early period. What’s the vibe here Choo?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

NickyBCats wrote:Adam Miller is announcing his decision next week but won’t sign during the early period. What’s the vibe here Choo?
247 has him 100% to Illinois
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

84Cat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Adam Miller is announcing his decision next week but won’t sign during the early period. What’s the vibe here Choo?
Yeah, with two of them coming in the last day. Makes me think thats the move. Been surprised before though.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Does him announcing his announcement the day after we demolished our biggest competition for him have any relevance?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:
They had Puff Johnson 100% to Arizona as well a week before he announced for UNC.

We got a major shot here, but we'll see. I think it's still Illinois, but the game yesterday may have had a big impact.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
They had Puff Johnson 100% to Arizona as well a week before he announced for UNC.

We got a major shot here, but we'll see. I think it's still Illinois, but the game yesterday may have had a big impact.
:D :D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A LOT of pressure on him to go to Illinois. They can’t get kids from Chicago and if they start losing kids from Peoria then the boosters are going to stop dropping cash on that program.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:A LOT of pressure on him to go to Illinois. They can’t get kids from Chicago and if they start losing kids from Peoria then the boosters are going to stop dropping cash on that program.
Yup, but that's not Miller's problem. We'll see what he decides.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:
Give me Terry over Johnson 24/7